International Simulation Football League
*Quick Look at Season 28 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Quick Look at Season 28 (/showthread.php?tid=31133)

Pages: 1 2

*Quick Look at Season 28 - ztarwarz - 03-26-2021

Well, things came up, I got busy and distracted, and so I'm not going to be able to do deep dives like I wanted to. Instead, this is going to be my quick feelings on rosters.

Baltimore: I did do a writeup of Baltimore and I think I said everything there. Put them at 7, they were the worst team last season by a wide margin, and then they decided to do the most obvious tank job I've seen during my short time in the league. I'm actually curious if any team has ever tried to tank harder, because that would be pretty hard to do.

Berlin: I'm not a GM, so maybe my feelings on this are completely wrong, but I can't help but look at the trade you guys just did with Baltimore and feel it might have been a mistake. Then again, if you're going to go all in, this is the season to do it, with 2 players on the D Line over 1000 TPE, the 2nd highest QB by TPE and 2nd overall, and legitimate weapons in Petrongolo, Ochocinco German version, and Clark Boyd as your RB1, WR1, and TE respectively. The things holding you back a bit in my mind are that the former 2 are Season 23 players, so they're not at the peak yet, and, well, everyone else also hitting their stride in with Season 22 hitting its peak. That trade netted you a second CB over 1000 TPE, though, so that could help. Just hope that having basically nothing at the Safety position and a 300 TPE dropoff after Schell at Linebacker don't hurt your defense too badly.

Chicago: You swung, you built a monster of a team, and now the piper comes calling. You're not a powerhouse anymore, and I think it's up in the air whether you make the playoffs at all. Granted, your QB is still over 1000 TPE, you have a receiver over 1000 TPE, Osiris is still elite after 1st regression, and you have 2 OLine monsters, but, well...Luca Scabbia and Tree Gelbman are the only 2 skill position players on your offense over 800 TPE. Your RB1 is Baby Yoda, who went inactive a while ago and is now a speed back without max speed. This team has major issues and I think they look at a league who generally peaks this season and are not happy about that.

Colorado: This is one of the youngest teams in the league, poised for contention in the seasons to come, but they look like one of the stronger teams in the league this season as well. They have 3 players over 1200 TPE on D, an RB and a WR over 1200 TPE, as well as a QB over 1000 TPE. The only problem I have with this team right now is depth, past their 950 TPE safety is a 400 TPE safety, their cornerbacks are merely mediocre and then drop off a cliff at CB3, (edit: I completely missed Rucker, sorry) and past Gilbert is a guy with less than 350 TPE. Also, Silver Banana might have regressed into the danger zone this season, and Dorfus is nowhere near as effective as he used to be.

Philadelphia: If you don't like your tanking unabashed and shameless, how about Philly? This team has a lot of youth, including a whopping 6 players from S25 over 750 TPE. The problem is that it only has a single player over 1000 TPE this season and its QB has only 625. That is 50 TPE lower than last season's Jackie Daytona, who held back his team massively. Finally, continuing to roster Sam Torenson feels like a bit of statpadding for his Hall of Fame resume considering his 193 TPE.

Sarasota: You got one Ultimus. Care to try for another? Want to repeat for the first time since...wait, the Sabercats repeated only like 2 seasons ago. Anyways! 9 players over 1000 TPE, you have monsters at every position group pretty much, Frost finally stopped sucking lmap for the first time in his career, and you now have a couple more seasons of your window. Unfortunately there is a bit of a hitch in your plans: Mike Boss Jr is the lowest TPE QB from Season 24, and being a Season 24 QB in the first place kind of clashes a bit with your window built more around Season 22 players. Still, if things go according to plan, I see no reason for this team to not get back to the playoffs, and back to the Ultimus.

Yellowknife: You have the highest TPE player in the league, whether you're talking about your QB, or your Linebacker who has apparently not been updated for regression yet. You have amazing safeties, a top wide receiver, and a top DT. However, I'd be very worried that your best chance to make the playoffs for this window was squandered last season by losing to Philly in Week 16. Your RB's inactivity is starting to hurt worse, Sakura's great but is almost 500 TPE clear of your WR2, and outside of your top player at Dline and Linebacker you're not all that impressive there either. You do have some very nice earners for the future, but they're probably a bit too far away for Colby Jack to be your QB at that point. You could make the playoffs, but there might be 4 better teams in the conference than you this season.

Arizona: This team is one of the best in the league, and I feel like I can say that without too much bias attached. Due to reasons, they're starting a pretty poor kicker and have the worst DE group in the league, and yet their top flight strength may be enough to carry this squad regardless. They have by far the best WR room in the league, the best RB room in the league, 2 safeties over 1000 TPE, and a fully human Oline. Their major problem is that Dline is pretty terrible, and their QB is one of the lower ones in the league while not being quite bad enough to take the team fully out of contention. That doesn't stop them from being the obvious favorite to top the ASFC and head to the Ultimus, which naturally means they will be out on stupid tiebreaker rules.

Austin: Speaking of teams with worse QBs, Daytona's 832 TPE is nowhere near enough for this to be a top seed in the conference, but a plethora of strong players including 2 S23s with over 1200 TPE and 3 S24s with over 1000 could be enough to get them into the playoffs. While not Arizona level, the WR group is pretty comfortably the 2nd best in the league by my reckoning, you have 2 top linebackers and 2 top cornerbacks. Also, Zoe Watts should soon have enough TPE for traits which will hopefully make her S28 campaign less of a disappointment than her S27 campaign. The only problem is that this team might not have enough firepower to compete with a QB that low in TPE. Also, the DLine's dropoff after Troen Egghands is massive.

Honolulu: I was told multiple times last season by your players (well, just 82) that you didn't know how you were so successful last season. This season, well...let's start with the positives: Chika's still great, you still have a strong secondary and defensive line. Big Edd should be better than the trash you started the season prior. On the other hand, your best skill position player is Ayers with less than 1000 TPE. Your next best skill position player is Cobra Kai with 726 TPE. Your 3 Wide Receivers combine for less TPE than most teams' 1+2. You don't even have a top flight TE to take the pressure off. Suffice to say, you're going to have to work around such a poor position group, and Chika is probably not high enough TPE to do that after her 1st regression.

New Orleans: You got to the Ultimus last season. I wish my team had your sim luck. Then again, maybe not considering what you're now left with. Your 4th best player is from Season 25, and has only 856 TPE. Your secondary, once your pride, now has only Andrew Witten above 800. Ed Barker's the only true standout on your team from skill positions. And to top everything off, your future isn't all that bright either considering your poor S23 and S24 classes. It's hard not to look at this team and consider its window closed.

New York: This team has the 2nd highest TPE QB from S24, and it's only not the highest by 3. You have 1 great and 1 good wideout. The problem I have is that you don't have all that much else. Your top 2 linebackers do combine for about 2000 TPE, which is nice, but after them is a S26 player with about 560. Your CBs combine for about 2000, but your safeties combine for about 1400. You have a DT with over 1100 TPE, but your next highest player on the Dline is an 827 TPE inactive. Finally, your RB1 has 778 TPE, which is 4th worst in the league. 

Orange County: This roster is giving me Deja Vu, only I think it's better constructed this season. It still is filled with a bunch of high end talent and a bunch of low end stragglers. Goat Tank's 890 TPE is still beaten out by 10 players from your team. Your QB has over 1300 TPE, your safeties are over 1100 and you have a top flight CB to pair with them. The problem is the skill position players here, though they do have a mitigation. Heath Evans is a top TE and should make things up a bit, but you are still dealing with one of the worse WR groups in the league and one of the worse RB rooms. It speaks to the strength of the rest of the roster when with those 2 things I still think this team contends for a playoff spot, but I do have to say that your WR1 and WR2 can't have a near 400 TPE gap when your WR1 is only at 1050, and your RB1 is barely better than New York's.

San Jose: Remember when this team won back to back Ultimus trophies? It looks like Monty Jack is going to be the Eli to Colby's Payton, but this team just doesn't fit together. They still have no Oline, their Cornerbacks are each stretching it for CB2 levels, and this team just has too little talent outside its top positions on D or on O. Still, this team probably competes for the playoffs if it had an Oline. Well, at least me saying they don't have an Oline is a bit of an exaggeration with Ding Dong taking the reins for them. This team, however, just has too many depth issues in my opinion. Now watch as they pull a Hahalua.

(1844 words)

RE: Quick Look at Season 28 - SchwarzNarr - 03-26-2021

Quote:they only have 2 linebackers

Last I checked Yeti had three.

RE: Quick Look at Season 28 - Frostbite - 03-26-2021

Looks like someone missed Mike Boss's 100 TPE update coming in. Hehehehehe

RE: Quick Look at Season 28 - Frick_Nasty - 03-26-2021

Man you're a hater lol, playing actives who want to be on the team instead of inactives is tanking. Cheers mate glad you know so much.

RE: Quick Look at Season 28 - infinitempg - 03-26-2021

(03-26-2021, 05:53 PM)ztarwarz Wrote: Baltimore: I'm actually curious if any team has ever tried to tank harder, because that would be pretty hard to do.

I can think of four off the top of my head
  • s6-s7 col
  • s14-s17 col
  • s10 phi (they started logan noble for christ's sake)
  • s16 aus

RE: Quick Look at Season 28 - excelsior - 03-26-2021

How did he know we were trying to tank?? @Thiath did you tell him

RE: Quick Look at Season 28 - Jimi64 - 03-27-2021

Being a young team doesn’t mean you’re automatically a tanking team. 
Philly is not doing anything to try to keep its record worse for draft picks. 
Would like to hear your rationale.

RE: Quick Look at Season 28 - 124715 - 03-27-2021

Yeah I don't think any tank job will ever surpass the S9-10 Liberty

RE: Quick Look at Season 28 - ReverendOReily - 03-27-2021

[Image: 514VeKo8yCL._AC_SY355_.jpg]

RE: Quick Look at Season 28 - C9Van - 03-27-2021

Great media. Keep it up! Smile