International Simulation Football League
*Thank You - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Thank You (/showthread.php?tid=31292)

*Thank You - Cincyfan96 - 04-05-2021

Hey friends,

I just wanted to take a few minutes and tell you all a little bit about how grateful I am for you all. No, I'm not dying or even retiring, but right now this league feels flooded with negativity and I just wanted to try to put something positive out there. Almost a year ago now, I'd been working from home for nearly a month due to an unknown and surely short term complication due to a virus that was supposedly sweeping through the world. People were buying masks and there was no yeast or toilet paper anywhere, and all my wife wanted to do was learn to make bread and all I wanted to do was poop without having to take a shower. Oh, did I mention she was 7 months pregnant with our first baby? I had no clue what I was getting into, how I could help her, or what to expect on any day except for a phone that wouldn't stop ringing and a computer that couldn't handle the sudden traffic of an entire world going home and realizing they had bugs (I work customer service for a pest control company). I needed an outlet, but I had very little time, and very zero money, to give. That's when I remembered the nerd football league that my good friend @mithrandir (don't hold that against me, we were like 8 when the decision to be friends was made…and it was a good one, I can’t string you out like that, man, but I really thought about it) had invited me to a few months back. I texted him to ask what the heck it really was and even though he told me the truth, I still gave it a try (seriously, we mostly just to extra homework in the name of fun around here...). But in the last year, this league has given me way more than I ever expected to get.

Thank you for being a place where football fans can have the game we love year round. I read an unhealthy amount of fan material for every move or strategy that my favorite NFL team (you guess) might or should or won't make in the offseason and play Madden whenever I can get my work and school done and my kiddo to sleep (I don’t play much Madden…) to fill that gap, but getting to watch content (even dots) and track stats is so much fun for me. The longer I'm with my team, the more I know who is what number and the longer I play fantasy, the more I'm learning the elites throughout the league, which is exactly how I came to be a fan of the broader NFL. And to get that same kind of excitement from watching a big play without having to look at the key to see what actually just happened is a really fun (and fairly recent) feeling!

Thank you for being a place where nerds can get some of their nerdiness out so that our wives, husbands, moms, dogs, and/or inanimate representations of lifeforms don't have to suffer through so much of it. I know my wife, while she doesn't understand this league in the slightest, owes a bit to this league in the number crunching and strategizing that she doesn't have to hear me do out loud since I can do it with any number of people through this league. While I'm sure many of you couldn't care less about the media I've put out in my time here, for me, getting to dive deep into numbers and statistical analysis (on my own very basic level) has been a lot of fun and something that I didn't anticipate getting to do outside of my days of high school mathematics, where the numbers were even more made up and hypothetical than they are around here. I didn't know I was looking for that, but I'm really appreciative of the opportunity I've had to pursue that around here.

Thank you for connecting me with some really cool people. I can't not (nice double negative...) name @Tonzy here as I've had the extremely unexpected opportunity to go from fellow DSFL draftee to cohost of an amazing two episode long written interview series (lol, good times), to friend with a person I've literally never met (though I saw a picture once and immediately destroyed it so my wife never sees that sexy cowboy). This man has been someone I can process life with, share dreams and frustrations with, and of course nerd out about football and gyrating dots on a screen with. I've been so blessed to share this experience with him and many others who have wanted to genuinely get to know me, who celebrated the birth of my daughter with me and who tell me how to make my dot get faster and stronger and be the very best (like no one ever was). To all who have been a part of my journey around here so far, a special thank you to you.

Thank you for taking a chance on me. Listen, @Highhaschdi @Dewalt27 I don't know what you were thinking when you traded future assets for me before our team was even formed, but gosh darn it I'm glad it worked out for you guys and that I was able to be a worthy pick! It's been a blast to be a part, even if I'm not around too often, of this team from the day we had 4 people to now. Thanks for helping me find my place in the ISFL after Tijuana was such a natural DSFL home. I wasn't sure I'd be able to find a place that I really liked but you've done it and I'm so glad to be a fire salamander.

Thank you for seeing me through ups and downs. There was a stretch last summer where I thought I'd have to leave this league, and I almost did, because I was escaping from my family and real world to spend instead in this league and "fake" world. That was on me for not fully appreciating what I have and for overinvesting in something new and shiny (to me). However, in the last 8 months or so I've learned balance and built discipline that I didn't have before. I've learned how to have fun and leisure without ONLY having fun and leisure, which is not something I was in any way good at before this year.

Thank you for showing me insane levels of passion and drive. The things that some of you accomplish around here are insane. How can someone have $300 million in the bank?!? How can someone simulate an entire season 100 times and analyze the data? How can someone run a league of hundreds of users without getting burnt out? How can someone passionately fight said leadership day in and day out until this league becomes just a little bit better as a result? I don't know. But you guys are amazing. The pride you take in this league and website and simulation and organizations within all of those things are admirable and I'm so thankful that you're around. Without you, there'd be no place for people like me who only have a couple hours a week to give and mostly just want to watch their dot and see if it can stop the other dots from getting past the lines to the opposing rectangle.

I know that there's been a lot of tension around here lately. I know that there's a lot of opinions about changes that should be made, or people who need corrected, and I'll be honest with you I don't know enough to say what I think needs to happen or who needs to do it. What I do know is that I'm beyond lucky to have this site to go to and spend a few minutes doing tasks and looking up data, and answering trivia (I mean, definitely NOT doing trivia - trivia bad...or good...heck I honestly don't care) to help me get through a particularly rough day of work. I'm beyond lucky to have a couple locker rooms and some DMs to go to on discord when I want to blow off some steam or talk about life or just see a funny meme. I'm beyond lucky to have year round (except for those painfully long offseason breaks) access to dots on a screen playing the game I've loved ever since I was practicing the "Statue of Liberty" in mithrandir's back yard.

I hope that whatever decisions are made, and whoever is involved in making them remembers that this league is an important place for many of us. We don't say it very much, or nearly enough, but thank you to all of you who make it happen.

RE: Thank You - Rusfan - 04-05-2021

I mean, if you think about it, we’re all dying

RE: Thank You - Bigred1580 - 04-05-2021

I love these types of media! Thank you cincy!

RE: Thank You - Big Edd - 04-05-2021

facts

RE: Thank You - Cincyfan96 - 04-05-2021

(04-05-2021, 03:21 PM)Rusfan Wrote: I mean, if you think about it, we’re all dying

Dang it, now I have to rewrite the whole thing...

[Image: aZA12oUFytVmszPlEYv0mYqt1PCc2PCelK21akNh...KXK2N7_V3o]

RE: Thank You - mithrandir - 04-05-2021

Now the tomorrow ones to eats how time again though.

I mean... I'm glad you joined! It's been a fun time!

(04-05-2021, 04:29 PM)mithrandir Wrote: Now the tomorrow ones to eats how time again though.

I mean... I'm glad you joined! It's been a fun time!

You drunk, buddy? ?

RE: Thank You - mithrandir - 04-05-2021

[Image: Screenshot_20210405-180120.png]

RE: Thank You - Faded - 04-05-2021

no thank you <3

(04-05-2021, 05:03 PM)mithrandir Wrote: [Image: Screenshot_20210405-180120.png]

I completely forgot about this! For those of you playing at home, this is the way mith told me and my buddy about the league. Very little sleep and a very strange text ?