International Simulation Football League
(S28) PT 3 - What If? - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S28) PT 3 - What If? (/showthread.php?tid=31363)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - RussDrivesTheBus - 04-17-2021

In S24, @ckroyal92 and @Rradum brokered a fantastic deal for the San Jose Sabercats that ended up leading them to an Ultimus Championship win. That’s about as good of an outcome as you can hope for when you make a trade. At the trade deadline, San Jose acquired the services of CB - Tyler Oles from the Chicago Butchers. It’s no secret that SJS had trouble with DBs for a number of seasons, so picking up the veteran was a great move to boost the defense. Ultimately, that team won the Championship with a great defensive showing.

Had the GMs not made that move, it is unlikely that SJS win the title that season. It’s even more unlikely that they even make the playoffs! Famously, the S24 season ended with a 4-way tie in the ASFC. 4 teams with a record of 9-7. If we didn’t get Oles and had lost any of our remaining games, we miss the playoffs altogether! Our final 2 regular season games were wins against Arizona who missed out on the playoffs due to tie-breakers and NOLA who squeaked in as the final seed. Oles had 12 Tackles and 3 PDs in those games, which isn’t an insignificant contribution. If he isn’t on our team, it’s more than likely that we miss out on the playoffs, don’t win a ring, and AZ gets a shot to make a run. Glad we were on the right end of that deal!

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - JuOSu - 04-17-2021

When I had my first player, Julian O'Sullivan, I was on the Orange County Otters. I was happy there and we were very successful, but at some point the success kind of became boring and I became complacent with my player. I no longer updated because well, I was already doing well. Who cares if I earned TPE if we always won. So I asked for a trade to a bad team. The bad team in question that ended up trading for me was the New Orleans Second Line. I spent the rest of my career there and loved it. When the next draft for my next player came around, I was asked to become their GM and I accepted. Since then I have been drafted to NOLA yet another time and have been very invested in the team history, writing top ten lists and doing all sorts of things for the team. I have been linked to this team for a large chunk of league history. But what if I hadn't asked for a trade. Would I still be as linked with Orange County? Would I have gone to a different team? Would every career have been for a different team? It's a fascinating question and I don't really know the answer. It's my own personal what if?

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - Painted - 04-17-2021

For me and my player, we were most recently drafted by the Chicago Butchers in the 2nd round. However, to most this was not expected! I did not see myself falling that far in the second and personally saw myself getting drafted by the Philadelphia Liberty with their first selection of the draft. They needed a safety and I thought I was the best safety prospect. They ended up taking another safety, but what if they did take myself?

First, I doubt anything would have changed this season. I most likely would not have been called up yet and stayed with Minn for the season. One difference though, would be being on the winning side of Philly’s matchup with Chicago this season. Instead, I am now being constantly laughed at by Negs even though I did not play in that game!! Another difference is going to be not having to change position. Philly needed a safety, pretty bad too. Whereas Chicago really really did not. So it is very likely that I position switch in Chicago but in Philly I would not need to. Lastly, it would have been cool to stick with Negs in Philly and work our way to go from laughing stock in the league to powerhouse, but no matter I’ll just pick him off when I get called up!!

Words: 223

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - Jangorhino - 04-17-2021

[Image: PT3.png]

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - Gragg9 - 04-17-2021

It’s hard to imagine a future in which things go differently for me or the league. Almost as difficult as it is to imagine me missing an TPE opportunity. With that in mind I shall attempt the prompt anyway.

What if the Minnesota Grey Ducks kicker, @Glute, was the quarterback?

To answer this question I went ahead and plugged it into the sim starting after the four preseason games for S28. I changed no stats and no strategies. Only that Glute is the only QB on the depth chart. The results were surprising.

Right out the gate we go 0-1 when we had previously beaten KCC. The team is already questioning the judgement of the GMs for playing a kicker at QB and ignoring established league rules in doing so. Then….

Over the next two games we go 2-0 followed by a loss. The Ducks record is 2-2. An improvement over the 1-3 it was in our current timeline. Much mocking is directed to the Portland Pythons and Bondi Beach Buccaneers. Throughout the rest of the season our success is rocky but we complete a sweep of Norfolk and BBB.

While Glute finishes the season last in passing yards among starting QBs, they far surpass all the stellar rookie talent. The final stat line shows 9 TD and 7 INT. The Int record is approached if not broken by Sir Peter Jackson, a 50 TPE rookie. The Grey Ducks GMs are fired and fined for benching 2 active QBs in favor of their favorite child.

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - Starboy - 04-17-2021

[Image: K9gIOy4.png]
Context: in S20, when applying for GM positions, I originally applied to Minnesota. However, I ended up joining TropicaliaCC in Kansas City to bring the Coyotes back from their bot team status and the rest is history...

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - Crodyman - 04-18-2021

There happens to be an interesting bit of trivia regarding Wasrabi Gleel and Honkytonk Haywood. Both entered the DSFL draft and ISFL draft in season 24 and 25, respectively. Coincidentally, in both drafts Honkytonk was taken with the pick before Gleel. Whereas Honkytonk ended up playing for the Portland Pythons and the Philidelphia Liberty, Gleel found his footing in Minnesota before moving onto Chicago. But what if the serendipity ended at the s25 ISFL draft?

Gleel would provide an immediate boost to the Philly LB corps, though the pathway to his eventual starting role would be contingent upon beating current Philly MLB Thomas Rose for the job. But with the sizable TPE advantage, Gleel should be able to slide into the rotation alongside Jimi DeSoto and Gary Goodman.

Honkytonk would find a crowded defensive line in Chicago, but with a few players beginning regression, it would only be a matter of time before Honkytonk would be starting on the line as well. With Oliver Sloan and Timmy Dimbi having a TPE disadvantage, at the very least we could expect Honkytonk to see snaps at DE from day one.

I’m happy to say that both Gleel and Honkytonk are comparable in TPE, and thus this swap would, at least on paper, seem like a fair tradeoff. Either way, these two players' careers are forever linked by being draft neighbors.

(228 words)

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - shadyshoelace - 04-18-2021

When the NSFL announced that it would expand in season 15, bringing in the Austin Copperheads and the Chicago Butchers, it was obvious that the course of the league would be changed by virtue of adding new teams. But what may not have been apparent was the ripple effect that the expansion draft would have on player movement across the league's existing teams. In order to avoid being taken in the expansion draft and saving his team a protection slot to keep its core together, star Orange County Otters safety/linebacker Danny Grithead decided to enter the free agency ring, with most speculating that he planned to sign for one season with a new team before subsequently returning to southern California. Grithead accepted a massive two year, $21 million contract with the Yellowknife Wraiths that could be voided after one season with a player option. He reportedly turned down even more money from the Philadelphia Liberty. If Grithead had chosen to stay with the Otters, or join another team, or leave Yellowknife in short order, league history would look very different as he stayed with the team for seven more seasons and became a key piece of one of the most dominant stretches of all time by a single team, Ultimus trophies notwithstanding. He eventually entered the Hall of Fame as a Wraith, and laid the groundwork for future Ultimus championships to come after his tenure.

Code:
236 words

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - Swanty - 04-18-2021

What if the Berlin Fire Salamanders hadn't taken Swantavius Jones with the first overall pick in the Season 25 draft? What if the Season 25 GMs all knew what they know now about the users on the board? How would the first round have differed? This in my opinion is how it would have gone down. Knowing that user Swanty isn't allowed to contribute to gameplanning is a red flag, so Berlin take Guy Fields. Arkz (Dan Foster) is next off the board in an unchanged pick to Yellowknife. Philly changes their pickup here and goes with Raylan Crowder, a higher TPE DE.

San Jose is forced to zig, so they pick up Goat Tank, another D lineman. The next two picks are unchanged, with Ruschmann to COL and Archstone to BAL. The Hahalua pick up Rich Triplet next, followed by Crunk to Arizona and Peter Patterson to Chicago. Toblerone still goes to NOLA. OCO pick up Swantavius Jones here (had a great scouting conversation with Blasoon, so I like to think they might have considered Jones here). Sarasota pick up Doy Fieri, New York sticks with Hank Winchester and San Jose completes the first round by picking up Chuck Roth. There was very little rhyme or reason to those selections, so please don't be offended if anyone from the S25 class is reading this back!

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - KezKincaid - 04-18-2021

In this alternate reality, Gronku Muerto was passed over by Tijuana with the 5th overall pick in the S29 DSFL Draft, as they elected to go with defensive monster Marcus Jones with that pick instead. The next team up in the Draft was Portland, and they decided to take the risk on the rookie Tight End, selecting him 6th overall. Reporting to the Pythons training camp instead would be a much different experience. Instead of sitting on the beach drinking margaritas and eating tacos, Gronku would be hiking and eating organic trail mix and drinking craft-brewed IPAs. It would probably still be a great experience, but with a different vibe. While Portland currently has a better record on the field than Tijuana, it is uncertain whether Muerto would be more of a contributor. The Portland passing game does seem to favor wide receivers over utilizing their Tight Ends, but Gronku's development has been significantly better than the current Tight End who was drafted to Portland, one Stanley Yelnats.  So perhaps having arguably a much more skilled player in that position would give the QB another option. Muerto sees more targets with Tijuana so he is given plenty of opportunity to be a contributor on the offense. From my pre-draft opportunity to be picked on waivers by these very same Pythons after the trade deadline, and given the opportunity to enter the Portland LR, I do know that it is run by a great group and there are a few people I know from other leagues, so I expect I would have just as good a time blending with that team as I have enjoyed being able to get to know the people on the Luchadores. All in all, I am entirely happy with the way things did work out, but if I had fallen a spot I expect the overall experience would be mostly similar in terms of how I would enjoy the whole DSFL experience!