International Simulation Football League
(S28) PT 3 - What If? - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S28) PT 3 - What If? (/showthread.php?tid=31363)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - Ephenssta - 04-16-2021

What if’s are always interesting because we cannot with any certainty say definitively what would have happened differently. On account of all of this being speculation, they are always fun to read. Mine requires us to travel back in time a few seasons to S23. Warren Stephens is still my player and is a linebacker for the Philadelphia Liberty. My S22 season was spectacular. We still played 13 games in those days. Stephens finished second in the league in tackles, one behind Honda Edmond who took the league record for most tackles in a season. Stephens moved himself into first in team history. I was looking forward to S23. We thought the team was in a good place and Stephens was poised to challenge for the tackle lead again in a 16 game season. The opportunities were very exciting. Yet as the season kicked off, things looked less than promising. We started the season off with two quick losses to the Yeti and the Butchers, losing both by 2 points with the same scores of 19-17. We ended up fighting back to 9-7 on the season, finding ourselves in the third playoff spot, but Stephens was not having anywhere near the season I expected. At the time, I wondered if it was due to bouncing back and forth between SLB and MLB, but even that didn’t seem to explain the sudden drop off in stats. I finished with almost 20 fewer tackles, though I did manage a few more sacks and PDs. For that and a few other smaller reasons, I ended up requesting a trade during the season and ultimately left in free agency to pursue a win-now opportunity with the Yeti (where we lost two Ultimus games despite being heavy favorites against SJS). So for the what if…What if I had noticed that my player was underperforming due to a sim team error that reduced his weight? I have to imagine that noticing this sooner would have helped my stats out tremendously and there are a couple ways I think things could have easily gone differently. The first is that I could have stayed with the Liberty. I have to believe that had I remained with the team, our competitive window may have stayed open longer and I may have even found myself GMing the team in the not-too-distant future. Given that I have been trying to land a GM job over the last few seasons, that option appeals to me. Obviously I can’t guarantee it would have happened, but it’s something I think about frequently. The other thing that comes to mind is how different my career could have been had Stephens had a longer career with the Yeti at his full potential. I would have taken over for Mo Berry nearing the height of my TPE and it could have had implications on our success in those Ultimus games. Additionally, it would have shaken up the structure of the team right now. Murder Moose likely would not have swapped to LB, as Melvin did so in order to fill the gap that I opened up. That move could have had serious implications for where some of our other players slotted in and may have resulted in an ultimus win, as the team had to scramble to replace Warren when I announced my premature retirement in response to discovering the error. Ultimately, those experiences still leave a slightly bitter taste in my mouth, as that was the end of my first player career. I think about how things could have gone differently sometimes, although ultimately I am happy to have found a home in the Yeti locker room over the last few seasons. I truly enjoy being there and for that reason would not say I regret my career choices. But it certainly makes for an interesting ‘what if’ and is most likely my longest point task to date by far.

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - hotdog - 04-16-2021

What if I hadn't been drafted to the Arizona Outlaws? A fascinating what if with many far-reaching consequences, specifically for me and definitely not for the league. If the Arizona Outlaws hadn't selected safety DB Jadakiss with the fourth overall pick in the season twenty three International (then National) Simulation Football League entry draft, they would've missed out on a player with one of the worst TPE to on-field stats ratios of recent memory! Jadakiss is a force to be reckoned with on paper, with great tacking, strength, speed, agility, intelligence, and even some special traits. But you wouldn't know it by watching the box scores, as jadakiss is hardly ever to be found! So for Arizona, they probably easily could've gotten an IA to do what I do on the field lol. 
But for me, this would have a big impact. Of course I wouldn't have gotten to know my great teammates in Arizona that I've gotten to know over the seasons, and one specific case would be not getting to know @Z-Whiz. If I didn't know z, perhaps I wouldn't have been so eager to draft Puddles O'Duck to the Atlanta Inferno in the Simulation Hockey League! And that would either be a great thing or a terrible thing depending on whether I feel like being nice or mean to z. This time i will be nice, and say that not drafting Puddles O'Duck would be a terrible thing!

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - King Jellyfish - 04-16-2021

The consequence of drafting those two in the same team. Locker room is hell.

[Image: omyPfDw.png]

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - Duilio05 - 04-16-2021

What if the Hawks never traded for Sunnycursed. S17 the Hawks were blowing through everyone with almost no scratches. Easy Ultimus favorites preseason cemented their favoritism for ultmimus champions by the trade deadline. Still had playoffs to go. In a unexpected move Orange County Otters offered the Hawks sunnycursed in exchange for S18 1st round pick. In an aggressive move the Hakws General Managers accepted. History books show the Hawks blazed on wards with Sunnycursed only to lose to the Otters in the Ultimus. What if Hawks never made that trade? They already had Earl Maddox, a player very capable of handling the WR1 role on his own. Maybe it was a dynamic change in both locker rooms that the otters came out victorious. If those dynamics hadn’t change maybe Hawks would have taken another Ultimus victory and still have their first round pick for the S18 class. An opportunity to select a top player that could have help ensure the winning ways stay alive instead of slowing smoldering into the disrepair that occurred over the last several seasons. The league and team building changed quickly with the introduction of large reddit classes and the hawk gms at the time were not ready or adapted well to those changes.

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - Mojojojo - 04-16-2021

For my “what if” I’m going to go back all the way to my (Ernest Lover’s) DSFL draft. Coming up to the draft, I had played a few game on the Kansas City Coyotes as a waiver pick-up at the end of the season 24 and had become good friends with the players and management of the team. And since my agent, Mojojojo, was dating an influential member of the war room, Slate, I fully expected to be drafted to Kansas City in the first round. But Kansas City passed me by and I ended up being drafted 8th to the London Royals. This worked out well for me, as I loved everything about being a Royal and had an award-winning rookie season in London. By the end of the season, Mojojojo had talked up the culture of the team so much that Slate ended up making the move from Kansas City and becoming part of the head office in London, where is now general manager.

So what if I had been drafted to Kansas City instead? Well, my rookie season would have been different, but I would like to think that I would still have really enjoyed my time with the team and made my mark on the league. My ISFL career would likely not have changed at all, since the Kansas City to Baltimore pipeline is much stronger than any ties with London. So I think ISFL draft wouldn’t have been affected. While Lover’s career trajectory in the long-term would look much the same, changing that one pick could have had wide-raining impacts on league management. If I had been drafted to Kansas City, Slate would likely have stayed within their front office, moving up the ranks to take over as general manager for Simo or Glims upon retirement. Who knows, by now the Coyotes may have been rebranded to some dinosaur found nearby, like the Silvisaurus, since we all know how much Slate loves paleontology. And what would have happened in London, probably Katarn would still be a general manager at this point, likely working with one of abh89 or Maglubiyet (whichever stayed on) or now a younger addition to the league like Blorgl or Pib. Craziness!

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - JKortesi81 - 04-16-2021

I think the biggest “what if” for me is “What if I didn’t step down as the Austin Copperheads GM?”. I was essentially forced to so by HO because they wouldn’t let me keep Easton Cole unprotected. I know he was my own player, but he was in the twilight of his career and it didn’t make sense to protect an aging QB who only had a year left at that point. But what if I didn’t step down? Well, then we’d have to have left an young stud, like a Troen Egghands unprotected. So we’d have been down a very good player, and he’d be on a team like Berlin. Perhaps we never make the deals to get Tonzy and Southpaw from Baltimore. Or the 72 other players we got from Baltimore. Amidships might’ve gotten upset for waiting too long to GM and went else where in free agency or maybe he goes back to Baltimore to become the GM there after they got rid of all of the shitty GMs that ruined the team there. I think Austin might not be the best team in the league right now because of it. I still think we’d be very competitive, but had I stayed on as the GM, I’m not entirely sure if things would be as good as they are right now. And that’s saying something. (228)

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - Faded - 04-16-2021

I don't have too many "What If" moments in my career in the ISFL, but I may have a couple in mind that I can share for this point task. One of them takes some explaining; What if Mattias Hanyadi didn't resign with Yellowknife before the S23 NSFL Draft? Yeah, this sounds weird, but bear with me. Mattias Hanyadi was a former Running Back for the Yellowknife Wraiths, and S22 would be his contract year. There were several speculations around the league that he may not resign with Yellowknife, leaving a gaping hole. This then would need them to A) Find someone in free agency or B) Send up a rookie immediately. In this universe that I am setting up, Hanyadi does not resign, and Yellowknife can't find another running back in free agency, thus needing them to look for one in the draft. In this universe, they don't go with Joseph Petrongolo, and he still goes to Arizona, however they do snag Nicholas Ayers with their first-round pick, thus changing the course of my career in the league. Or, if they select Petrongolo in the first, then I go to Arizona, and at the end of the day, I don't go to Honolulu. Sure it seems a little far-fetched, but it could have happened if Hanyadi walked, but I wouldn't trade being in Honolulu for the world personally.

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - toivo - 04-16-2021

Back in the day, Noah Goodson was drafted to Arizona. After his first deal was expiring, Goodson make it known that he wanted to test free agency but would more likely than not stay with Arizona. The new management did not trust Goodson, and a wedge was driven between management and Goodson resulting in Noah Goodson being traded to Baltimore. He would leave Baltimore in free agency before returning and winning a championship with the team. There is always the question of what if Arizona did not trade Goodson. I wonder whether Goodson would have been motivated to be a higher training player and build up an even better career. He had a good career, but perhaps not 1st overall material. That said, these things are in the past, but still fun to ponder from time to time. It’s hard to examine what all the possible effects could have been if this trade did not occur. Would it have changed ISFL history? The short answer is: yes. Goodson would not have put up the same performances and rack up team stats with the different teams he played for. Would these be major changes to the ISFL history? Likely not the case, but it’s impossible to tell at this point in time.

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - HENDRIX 2.0 - 04-16-2021

One of the biggest situations in league history was obviously the Ermurazor multi scandal back in the beginning of the league. If his con wasn’t sniffed out and exposed, further damage could have meant an early death for the ISFL. It’s very possible none of us would be here spending a portion of our free time. There have only been a handful of league members with an influence that weighed as heavily as Er’s. His player, Tuck, was dynamic on the field. In team management he had a huge say in scouting, trades, and free agency. He was part of the Player Progression Team, managed fantasy football, and was the head simmer of the league. In the simmer role he had gained the knowledge of team construction. Whatever holes his team had, and would create multi’s that they would draft the next season. They won the first three Ultimus bowls. If the multi stuff didn’t happen, maybe the Hawks or Wraiths could have won an early championship? Or maybe the Otters would have won the first six Ultimus Bowls?  His corruption infiltrated just about every facet of the league. The league integrity took a major hit, and I think it’s very impressive we have made it to the point that we are at today. (214 words)

RE: (S28) PT 3 - What If? - Amulos - 04-16-2021

There have been many moments in league history where a single decision (e.g., a draft choice, a GM’s promotion or retirement, a trade, a player’s movement in free agency) may have changed the course of the ISFL. Describe a decision that was made, how you imagined it going differently, and what might the league look like now if it had gone the way you imagined. For rookies that are still learning about the league history, write about what would be different about your current season if you had been drafted one place earlier or later, as in what team you would be on, and what your new role would be, etc.

I think the BIGGEST mistake that any team has made so far is not putting in the effort to get both Romulus and Remus Roman on the same team. Two players that dominated their college scene side by side, one would think that at least one of the DSFL teams (Looking at you Pythons) would have tried to "collect them all" if you catch my drift. I will say that it would have been really cool to play with my brother as well as my brothers in arms Xavier Walls and Gritt Gurdur. I think that this is the single reason why the Pythons are known chokers when it comes to the playoffs, and had I been drafted by them I think I would have pushed them over that hump with my superior ability. Now, another thing I will say is that I've never been happier to be part of an organization than when I was drafted to Tijuana. They were a bit of an unknown to me due to the closed locker room, but clearly they were the place I was destined to be. It has allowed me to blossom not only into an exceptional player/athlete, but also into a leader as I took a role as a captain on the team. This was the biggest mistake someone made in the draft, but it was an absolute blessing.