International Simulation Football League
Roly/wonderful_art/Levels Multis - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: League Office (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Punishments (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=279)
+--- Thread: Roly/wonderful_art/Levels Multis (/showthread.php?tid=31482)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Roly/wonderful_art/Levels Multis - abh89 - 04-18-2021

(04-18-2021, 05:37 PM)Peterson Wrote: Alright let me learn you all something.... I work for an ISP, every single modem connected has the same default Connection IP to the CMTS...

This "IPv4 has 4,294,967,296 unique IP addresses of which 588,514,304 are officially reserved for various purposes. This leaves us with 3,706,452,992 possible unique public IP addresses, or a 1/3,706,452,992 chance of sharing the same public IP address with a random person. Knowing this, we can conclude that sharing 1 public IP address with a random person is extremely unlikely, but sharing 9 different IP addresses across multiple ISPs (Internet Service Providers) is simply not possible."

Is incorrect unless you have a business account with your ISP specifically paying for a static IP the chance that the IP is closely similar within 2 to 3 octives is normal. Therefore your arguement about close IPs is bullshit.

As the author of the portion of the punishment, your frustrations are with me, not Swanty.

You reference sharing 2-3 "octives" (assuming you meant octets here) being normal. That is correct if you use the same ISP as the ISPs own blocks of IP addresses that they use to assign to customers, statically or dynamically. I believe you misinterpreted something in the OP though as there was no mention of a "close" IP address. There were 9 separate identical IP addresses (meaning all 4 octets) shared between Roly and wonderful_art that spanned across multiple ISPs. There was 1 identical IP address (again, all 4 octets) shared between wonderful_art and Levels.

The section you referenced did lack detail, but it was written to be a brief explanation that could be understood by all users regardless of their technical expertise. As a network engineer of 10+ years, I am happy to discuss this further with you over PMs and share a bit more detail.

RE: Roly/wonderful_art/Levels Multis - Peterson - 04-18-2021

So was it a 10. IP or a 192 ip then?

Just saying, Network Engineer means very little no offense but you arnt the one maintaining the system or hooking up the equipment... I work head-end and system maintenance so like i said no offense but if i listened to everything network engineers said my system wouldnt run at all.

(04-18-2021, 06:42 PM)Peterson Wrote: So was it a 10. IP or a 192 ip then?

We aren't able to disclose that specific information, but 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x IP addresses are reserved for private use only and are not publicly routable. The IP addresses that matched were public IP addresses.

While you would use a 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, or 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x IP address on your home network, that address would get translated to a public IP address when accessing the internet.

the 10. is the main address associated with the CMTS thats the address from the CMTS. plus the router doesnt assign the same ip it assigns sub IPs with the last octive being different in each connected device, the 192, 172 is the public IP domain of DHCP connecting and finalizing the handshake between the internet>Modem>CMTS

RE: Roly/wonderful_art/Levels Multis - shadyshoelace - 04-18-2021

this thread rn
[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Roly/wonderful_art/Levels Multis - dude_man - 04-18-2021

(04-17-2021, 04:21 AM)Number 82 Wrote: Week 10 Predictions

Result:
BER
YKW
COL
PHI
AUS
ARI
NYS

Be sure to check your predictions to see if you have the correct amount of TPE given. Any error, let the PPT team know.

Mode = 3.0 TPE for:
Bex
DarknessRising
dude_man
Laser
Manicmav36
R0tzbua
Symmetrik
TMosura

(If any of these users above show up on the list below, they need to claim that amount of TPE. If they don't show up below, they need to claim the TPE above.)

The following can claim the TPE next to their name, round up if it ends in .5:

PMoney 3.0

The most unbelievable thing is the mode being exactly 3.0.

Just saying dont come at me with "Im a network engineer" spent 12 years working in cable 6 years as a Lineman, Dont try and talk about topics you dont fully understand the 192 and 172 ip addresses are the publicly assigned IPs to the network, hence depending on your ISP you ether have a 192 or 172 etc etc the 10. IP is directly assigned from the CMTS of said ISP

(04-18-2021, 07:07 PM)Peterson Wrote: Just saying dont come at me with "Im a network engineer" spent 12 years working in cable 6 years as a Lineman, Dont try and talk about topics you dont fully understand the 192 and 172 ip addresses are the publicly assigned IPs to the network, hence depending on your ISP you ether have a 192 or 172 etc etc the 10. IP is directly assigned from the CMTS of said ISP

I wasn't referencing my occupation as a way of trying to trump you, but rather to let you know that I also am speaking from personal experience. You on the other hand are trying to do the exact thing you are condemning.

It is a fact that you cannot access the internet with a private 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, or 172.16.x.x IP address. Every single home modem/router has a public IP address assigned to it and uses NAT to translate your private IP address to that public IP address. If you want to see an example of that, you can open a command prompt window on your computer and enter "ipconfig" and view your IP address. Then go to Google and enter "What is my IP address?". It will display your public IP address, and that address will not match what you saw in the command prompt results.

This is not something that differs across ISPs. It is basic network principles.

regardless the website should lock to your private address aka your routers private address, as you said the 192. or 172. im not being condeming i just simply stated i dont trust network engineers as most of the information from network/design is incorrect

(04-18-2021, 07:25 PM)Peterson Wrote: regardless the website should lock to your private address aka your routers private address, as you said the 192. or 172. im not being condeming i just simply stated i dont trust network engineers as most of the information from network/design is incorrect

You are right, the website will establish a connection with your IP address but it will be with the public address assigned to your router. Websites won't see your private IP address as the router will translate it and keep track of those various connections in its NAT table. Like I said, you can Google "what is my IP address?" and see exactly what I am talking about. If you do it from multiple devices on your home network they will all return the same IP, while they will all have different private IP addresses to communicate within your home network.