International Simulation Football League
(S28) Ultimus Week - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S28) Ultimus Week (/showthread.php?tid=31809)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: (S28) Ultimus Week - Ry_ - 05-07-2021

Long Form Task 2(How is my draft class doing/How do I think my draft class will end up?):

For this long form task, instead of focusing on how I feel about the dozens of current players that are in the S30 draft class and are eagerly awaiting their draft position twelve days from now, I instead want to focus on four specific players: the four QBs that make up the S30 QB draft class. While there are no guarantees it will remain at just four(and it likely won't!), this is the position my current player plays at, and I wanted to take a look at the competition, write up about myself, and then summarize my ideas and projections for the S30 QB class.

The order I decided was a mix of the current TPE these players have and their unclaimed TPE. Dustin Parmalee is technically in first due to his rookie tasks, so I will write about his future as a quarterback first, followed by Ricky Stanzi, Mason Malone, and Sal Shaw.

Dustin Parmalee: Dustin was(if I recall correctly) the first quarterback to create in this draft class, though both Dustin, Mason, and Ricky all created at the deadline, giving them the maximum opportunities to gain TPE. While Dustin started his first few days in the ISFL with inactivity, he followed that up with a massive earning spree, posting almost twenty times in a single day, claiming every bit of TPE imaginable, doing every rookie task, creating his twitter, etc etc. Almost everything you can imagine for a rookie. Following that, Dustin has not been as "active"(since there are only so many tasks you can do at the start of an ISFL career), but he still posts daily on his twitter, ISFLdp, only two characters off Ricky's twitter at, ISFLQB. Dustin is a gunslinger, in the mold of legends past like Patrick Mahomes and Brett Favre, and has started focus in his arm, which is projected to go to 75 in his next update, vs 70 for both intelligence and accuracy. He also improved his base speed a decent bit, up to 51, but other than that he seems like a strong mold of a gunslinger. While it is not the most popular build in the ISFL, it could be promising for Dustin in the DSFL and DSFL draft.

Ricky Stanzi: Ricky Stanzi was the second quarterback to create, as I had updated and retired Darrel Williams that very morning, and then created Ricky. Stanzi is a classic pocket passer, and while only 57 TPE has been spent, he has kept up with the big recreates in this draft class and is only one TPE behind the class lead at this moment(due to some poor choices in the predictions game). Stanzi currently resides on the Dallas Birddogs, the reigning champs of the DSFL(well, for a few more hours). Dallas did not play its best football while he was on the roster, and they faltered their way out of the playoffs with a rough showing against Tijuana in the final week of the season. While Dustin did see some playing time in garbage time for Tijuana, Ricky was not seen throwing a pass and DSFL teams will have to take a flyer on him if they want to draft him earlier on in the class. While Ricky's personality isn't the greatest, he is hoping to become a top player and is looking for guidance and good coaching at both the DSFL and ISFL levels.

Mason Malone: Mason is also on the Dallas Birddogs, and is also a recreate like Ricky. While Mason has not been a perfect earner so far this season, they have plenty of potential to grow in this class, though at the moment it seems like Dustin and Ricky are the two main standouts in this class, followed by a potential diamond in the rough for a DSFL team in Malone. Malone is a field general-esque quarterback, with his main focus being to be accurate and keep the short game as an emphasis. His arm is much weaker than his intelligence and throwing accuracy, and while this may hurt him as he continues to develop, he easily could become a strong quarterback in this class.

Sal Shaw: Sal Shaw is the only non trade deadline create in this class, and while they had the disadvantage of missing a week or two of earning, Shaw has quickly learned the ropes of the DSFL and has quickly earned plenty of TPE to their name. At this current moment, Shaw would catapult to third in the QB class in earning with 79 after a strong update this week. Since they are a new create, it remains to be seen if their earning will stay steady, but there is plenty of promise behind this mobile quarterback.

Even though there are only four quarterbacks so far in this class, there is a ton of promise and potential behind each of them. I could easily see all four of these guys hitting the 250 cap, since they all have shown promise either with a previous create or at the current moment. When the ISFL draft comes around, I think there will have to be some tougher decisions, but since there is so much depth at quarterback here, these four players may drop while teams fill other needs first.

882 words

RE: (S28) Ultimus Week - hotdog - 05-07-2021

Code:
29. Affliate PT from either SHL/PBE/GOMHL. The Weeks must match with the timeframe of this UW

SHL PT

Code:
26. Imagine your current position was not available to be picked when you created your player. What other position would you have picked, and why?

I did want to pick a less "glamorous" position for my first player here, so that kind of motivated my choice of safety. I knew it's not really huge for getting individual stats but I'm fine with that. And the idea is to take a more glamorous position (RB or WR) on the recreate. So in that spirit, on the first player I wanted to be on the defensive side. I probably would've gone linebacker if safety weren't available, since that's a defensive position that could allow you to contribute without necessarily accruing a ton of individual stats. Although, it turns out, linebackers do actually accrue a ton of individual stats, especially tackles, which this league and award committees seem to love. I think linebacker would've allowed me to contribute to the team defense the same way i do as a safety, and i would've stuck with the same name and all that. I do wonder if my career trajectory would've been different - Arizona may not have taken me, since I believe they had a specific need for safety in that draft class, so I likely would've ended up somewhere else. I wonder where! Norfolk probably drafted more for LR fit than for position so I still might've ended up there as a linebacker.

Code:
28. What team do you think has the best branding in the league? What team do you think could use a refresh? Why?

The best branding in the league is a little difficult since there are lots of teams with components I like. For example, Berlin's colors are great, but I don't love the logo or name. Orange County Otters of course have my favorite name in the league, and the color is good too, but I don't love the whole package as much as its component parts. Similarly I like NOLA's colors and vibes but not so much the name and logo. Sailfish is a good name, that one is cool. Butchers are pretty slick, and they'd be up there in my top choices for sure. The knife is menacing and it's a unique name. All in all, my top choice would probably have to be the Yellowknife Wraiths. It's a unique location, it's a unique name, it's a menacing logo, the color scheme with black and grey and light blue is sick, so all in all I think it's gotta be my #1. In the DSFL, I don't think any of them really rival the best ISFL logos but I think the new Portland redesign is great. They've had 3 different logos in the short time i've been here lol but I think this newest green one is the best of the bunch. If San Jose was green and gold instead of green and brownish beigeish bronzeish that'd be immediately up way higher for me.

Code:
23. You’re in charge of entertainment for the Ultimus or Ultimini half-time show. What would you do?

The best halftime show would be for a game set in Atlanta since Atlanta is a wonderful city with a lot of the best music since the year 2000 so let's imagine here the game is in Atlanta. We could have Atlanta-themed artists carry the whole show and we'd progress through the eras of recent Atlanta music, starting with Monica and Kriss Kross (and maybe TLC featuring a hologram Left Eye, that would be pretty cool and noteworthy). Then we advance ahead a few years with Outkast's section - they get their own whole section of this. Mid 2000s we get some Usher and Ludacris and Lil Jon (Yeah! will be a necessity) followed by T.I. and Young Jeezy. We'll throw B.o.B. on there for one song, he's worthy of mention I guess. After that we transition into the early 2010s with Waka Flocka Flame and Gucci Mane, they'll bring the house down for sure. Finally, we'll wrap up with some of the present-day superstars from the Atlanta music scene such as Migos and Gunna and Young Thug. Someone should put an expansion team in Atlanta (or perhaps relocate an existing team there) because otherwise this idea doesn't make much sense lol. Truly I couldn't imagine a city with better oist-2000 representation though, so someone move there so we can make this a reality!

RE: (S28) Ultimus Week - Goat_Whisperer - 05-07-2021

20. If your player had a show starring them, what would the plot be? Graphic Option: Create the cover art for your player’s show

Reality TV-show of some kind is the obvious choice. All you would have to do is have the cameras follow me around. I would set some limits to what can be filmed and what is off the limits. The show could be more about me as a professional athlete, so the cameras follow me around in practice and games, and as I prepare for everything at my place.

I don't know who would watch that, but the viewer(s) would get a look at what the life of a professional athlete looks like. Each episode would not have to be an hour-long, so I could perhaps film different parts of my life. Have some ''Kokot away from sports'' footage in there as well as I sit on my couch and yell at my TV. You could also film me as I think about all the different foods I plan on eating for dinner. For that reason, shorter episodes could be better, 15 or so minutes, and upload them to Youtube.

Un-edited, raw, and amateur. Those are some themes I want my show to feature. I think it's important that people at home get real picture of me, even if I refuse to be filmed while taking a dump or while talking on a phone.

(208)

23. You’re in charge of entertainment for the Ultimus or Ultimini half-time show. What would you do?

As a fan of stand-up comedy, I would look into the possibility of having some kind of comedy roast event. Both teams and players would be roasted by stand-up comedians. I would look into having the big names do the roasting, Billy Burr, Ricky Gervais, Kevin Hart - to name a few. The point is to roast the teams and players, so I think you could get some interesting material from those three if they are available.

I think you could also give the opportunity for the fans to send few roasts for each team via Twitter, for example. The comedians could pick the ones they like the most and read them out loud during the roast while mentioning that they are from the fans. I think it would be a cool touch. At the end, some big band or artist could sing a song. Beyonce or something. Or have all the comedians with a choir to perform a song. That would be even better as I think choirs are awesome and comedians singing would be fun to see and hear. Have them sing Price Tag from Jessie J, or whatever. Something fun and interesting that helps to lift the mood at the end just in case the roasting was too much.

(212)

RE: (S28) Ultimus Week - AW13 - 05-07-2021

Code:
29. Affliate PT from either SHL/PBE/GOMHL. The Weeks must match with the timeframe of this UW

PBE PT

Code:
17. Your team has announced that they will be laying ground on a new stadium next season. What additions would you like to see included in it. Graphic Option: Create a field / stadium design for your team.

So, the Honolulu Hahalua will likely be my team this next upcoming season so I will have to think about some additions to their new stadium which kind of assumes that maybe they moved into an existing stadium when they first were granted expansion a few seasons ago. One would assume that they repurposed one of the worst structural stadiums out there in Aloha Stadium and have been playing out of that big monstrosity for at least a little bit and maybe that assumes the University of Hawaii would still be able to use that stadium as well, who knows.

For additions, I am definitely adding a touch tank because that needs to be included. There will be some fish, starfish, and of course some rays as well, akin to the touch tank that had previously been installed in most aquariums and at Tropicana Field, home of the Tampa Bay Rays. This would be a great attraction for adults and children alike to be able to discover the wonders of sting rays. I would include some brand new food items to the stadium as well but hopefully keep things tropical themed or rays themed or whatever. Of course we have to have a lot of Hawaiian foods and maybe some Hawaiian ice as well or something. Prompt 19 would normally cover this but I don't want to get into that one too.

Code:
20. If your player had a show starring them, what would the plot be? Graphic Option: Create the cover art for your player’s show

The show will be called Football on the Islands and it will focus on the team's preparation and adjustment to living in Hawaii and playing in Hawaii and all the difficulties that come with that. Think of Hard Knocks but potentially give some insight into the Hawaiian culture and focus around a football team playing in the Aloha state. Focusing on how the team interacts with the fans and the community who definitely have their own culture and normally professional athletes are focused around football but also branch out. There are players from all around the world, mostly North America's mainland so it is a huge adjustment moving out to live on the Hawaiian islands. There is a ton of difference in terms of how to prepare as well as teams travel from Hawaii to other places in general although this league has some weird stuff in terms of overall travel since we are going to Berlin and Yellowknife and Honolulu and what not but a trip from Hawaii to Berlin sounds like the worst thing ever and maybe look at that. How about focus on other things like hanging on the beach and surfing and such and attending luaus and everything like that! It would be a pretty great show and you can watch football and Hawaii stuff, pretty cool.

Code:
26. Imagine your current position was not available to be picked when you created your player. What other position would you have picked, and why?

This is a tough one for sure because I went into my next player thinking one thing and then kind of shifted directions a little bit into creating my current player, Joliet Christ Jr. Now, I admittedly will likely go one of these positions after Christ Jr.'s career is said and done which hopefully can be a decent length and even longer than the senior's career. When I initially was planning a recreate I was certain that I was going to go kicker/punter. I wanted to have an easier sort of career as a special teamer and admittedly, outside quarterback, punter is my favorite position in football I would say. I have even tried out for a D1 FBS College team as a kicker/punter and although I did not end up making the team, I still have moments where I will go kick field goals and such. Bragging moment here, but at the College football hall of fame, they have a goal post and I had some random people compliment me on my form when I nailed through a few like 20-30 yard field goals or however long they were. I would be able to play a position I am super familiar with and one that I have enjoyed breaking down in general and could do that with some advanced punting statistics and kicking stats similar to how I did with some stats in the EFL. I also had considered a DT and OL as well which are certainly possibilities but most likely kicker is my next track unless something changes again which is 100% possible but I won't be going as hard with being a max earner on my next player, that is for sure.

RE: (S28) Ultimus Week - deadlunatic - 05-07-2021

1. This week will see the S28 Ultimus and Ultimini races begin in earnest. How did each team arrive at the playoffs? Were there any dark horse teams that went unexpectedly far, or any presumptive favorites that fell flat? Who do you think will win the final? If you’re writing this after the finals were decided, were you surprised by the outcome?

Well, in the Ultimus we have the Yellowknife Wraiths and the Austin Copperheads battling it out later today. Not very many people had these two teams finishing in the top three. I went back and looked at the season predictions, and Austin had a lot of fifth, sixth and seventh place votes, with various other ones thrown in. Majority of people had them finishing in the bottom half of their conference. As for the Wraiths, they had a lot of fourth place finishes, so most people had them just outside of the playoffs, and of course there were votes ranging from first to seventh as well. So, to start with, very people had either team in the playoffs, much less both making it in. From looking at the playoff predictions thread, it also seems like the two most picked to win it all are were the Berlin Fire Salamanders and the Arizona Outlaws, obviously neither of them is still in the game. There were a few people who picked the Wraiths to take it all, and some few also picked the Copperheads to win it all, most likely players on those two teams(I know I picked the Wraiths). 

How did the wraiths get there, well that was a combination of scoring a decent amount of points while also mostly limiting teams to a reasonable score. Now, there were a few blowouts to a certain team that got beat in the playoffs, and the wraiths only allowed fourteen points in that game as well. First four weeks were rough for sure, finishing two and two and not really looking like a playoff caliber team. But the wraiths managed to go on two different runs where they won three or more games in a row to ultimately finish with an eleven and five record, good for second in their division. They did well at home and on the road, going six and two at home and five and three on the road. Then they had to play in two playoff games, and while both were close games, they only allowed fourteen and thirteen points in each. 

The Copperheads got here by finishing in third place in their division and having a very similar points scored to points allowed differential as the wraiths. At the end of the day they won when it counted most in both the wildcard and conference championships, beating out the Silverbacks and the Outlaws, also both very close games. They started off the season in a much better place going three and one in the first four, and winning multiple games after their losses until late in the season where they ended with three straight losses going into the playoffs. Not exactly the way you want to head into there, but I guess it has worked out very well so far. 

The wraiths have the top TPE quarterback in the entire league while the copperheads have one of the newer, lower TPE guys in a season twenty five recruit. They both have a wide receiver one who is in beast mode with super high TPE, followed by a wide out number two in the nine hundred TPE range. The copperheads have a really good running back, and the wraiths have two solid running backs in their backfield. The wraiths have a top tier talent at tight end where the copperheads have a solid one who just didn't earn at the same rate. At the offensive line position the copperheads have two newer players anchoring their line and the wraiths have one of the top linemen in the league followed by a low TPE veteran. On the defensive side of the ball both teams have a defender near the top of their TPE list, the wraiths having a defensive lineman up there, and the copperheads having a defensive end at he top followed by a linebacker. Both teams have some solid secondary players with the wraiths having two really good safeties with two season twenty five cornerbacks on the up swing back there. The copperheads have a corner back and two more line backers holding their defense down. As for kicker, the wraiths have one of the higher earning kickers in the league, and the copperheads have one of the lowest earning kickers. 

I know the wraiths got here through drafting solid players and keeping them in the building long term. I think we resigned almost every player since I have been here, not including any trades or players who resigned. As for the copperheads, I don't really know for sure how they got their team, seams like definitely hit on some of those guys they have drafted recently. Should be a good game, not sure if it will be a defensive minded game, or if we will see these explosive offenses go off and make it a high scoring game. 

As for the Ultimini, got to give a quick shout out to the mini game. The Tijuana Luchadores(my alma mater) get to play the London Royals. I am mostly going to speak about the luchadores as I am in that locker room everyday. They got where they are by doing some good drafting mixed in with some solid waiver wire pickups and some good ole fashioned game planning. The team is very well run with a really good group of guys in that locker room supporting each other on a daily basis. I know they are going for trophy number nine!

RE: (S28) Ultimus Week - qWest - 05-08-2021

20 minute podcast to fulfill Tier 1 Task 4

Listen on Anchor HERE

or on Spotify HERE

RE: (S28) Ultimus Week - 209tacos - 05-08-2021

29. Affiliate PT from either SHL/PBE/GOMHL

PBE PT 5/8

RE: (S28) Ultimus Week - Bigred1580 - 05-08-2021

15. Going to Disneyland! Who was the Ultimus Game MVP? Give us a rundown of their celebratory trip to Disneyland. (Can be completed after the Ultimus game)

[Image: M2zf84J.png]

17. Your team has announced that they will be laying ground on a new stadium next season. What additions would you like to see included in it. Graphic Option: Create a field / stadium design for your team.

[Image: IyhGyRb.png]

18. Written option - which teammate of yours is the ultimate team player and why? How does this person exhibit selflessness and put the team first? Are they a great locker room presence who encourages others? Do they play an important but unappreciated role on the team which doesn't receive much recognition for awards? Graphic Option: Create a graphic of your player with your teammate who exhibits a team-friendly attitude.

[Image: PnLKNDd.png]

24. Create a billboard, magazine cover, unique trading card, or video game cover depicting a one of the league's stars.

[Image: sZlbNJp.png]

RE: (S28) Ultimus Week - Drip - 05-08-2021

4. “Sim gonna sim” is a popular expression in the league. Write about teams that have been graced by the sim gods and had amazing performances despite statistical odds, and/or about teams that were considered favorites but may have dealt with some bad sim luck that hampered their efforts. How much of an impact did it have on their season(s)?

As a member of the s28 Colorado Yeti, I have to believe that the expression "sim gonna sim" was heard more in our locker room than any other. On the path to the s28 Ultimus, the ending did not match what we expected in the beginning. Colorado, coming off a playoff run in s27 where we lost in the conference championships, was widely expected to make the jump and be one of the top 2 teams in the NSFC, and almost a lock for the playoffs. Well, that didn't happen! As a member of that illustrious locker room, I wanted to look back on a couple of games where it seemed like the sim was completely against us winning. And, disclaimer, this isn't saying anything about the teams or players we were up against. I just think that the sim is gonna sim sometimes.

The most prolific "sim gonna sim" game of our season was absolutely week 13 vs Chicago. Chicago had not scored since 13:07 in the second quarter, and with 5:30 left in the 4th, yours truly scored our only TD of the day and put the Yeti up 18-13. Chicago had under 30 yards rushing at this point, a great defensive showing from Colorado. Well, the sim gods blessed the Butchers, and Baby Yoda went for 53 yards and a TD. It was his first and only carry of the day, and he accounted for 53 yards of the 83 total rushing on the day (64%). I do not think that will ever be seen in real life. Especially with a RB getting his first carry of the day. The only explanation for that? Sim gonna sim. I think what made that one sting even more, is that the game before we were disgraced by the sim gods. Week 12 versus Sarasota, the Yeti were up 30-14 when Richard Gilbert caught a TD with 6:08 second left in the 4th quarter. Well, on the very next drive Mike Boss threw a 52 yard td to Angler. After a Yeti offensive possession, on the very first play of the next drive Boss threw a 50 Yard TD to James Angler. Now, Mike Boss on the day had 330 yards and 3 touchdowns. 30% of his yards and 66% of his touchdowns came within 5 minutes. In the 4th quarter. So, two weeks in a row, the Colorado Yeti had been less than blessed by the sim. In all actuality, the Yeti lost 4 games by less than 4 points, with the two I just talked about coming off of 4th quarter comebacks. If the game versus Sarasota had happened in the NFL, I would guarantee it would make most peoples top 10 list for best comebacks of all time. If you would like a more in-depth look at the Yeti and how they did on defense, a great article written by Rusfan is linked. I could be biased, but from everything I was hearing leading up to the season, the Yeti were supposed to not only compete for the playoffs, but be contenders for the Ultimus. Whether it was Caliban having the most Jameis Winston season I have ever seen in ISFL history, or our defenses inability to close out games in the 4th, the sim is gonna sim. I don't know what we could've done differently from our part, but I am glad to be a part of this team going forward. I just hope that we get on the good side of the sim soon.

On the other side of the coin, I think the team that most benefitted from the sim this season was the Sarasota Sailfish. Not only because of the legendary comeback versus Colorado, but Sarasota had a few games that could've gone the other way had they not had sim luck. Week 7 versus Honolulu is a prime example. Mike Boss had thrown for 146 yards, and the stifling Honolulu defense played very well. but they allowed the only touchdown pass of the game with 1:41 left in the 4th quarter. I don't know if there is some stat that gives Sarasota the Aaron Rodgers gene, but they seem to have some crazy 4th quarter comebacks. The craziest of those, and I would say the most insane of all season, was week 11 versus Chicago. Going into the 4th, the Butchers lead 34 to 24. Sarasota scored a rushing touchdown with 8:56 left in the 4th, to bring them within 3. So, after some back and forth, the Sailfish hit a 51 yard field goal with 19 seconds left in the 4th quarter. So logically, the move would be to go for OT. Except, Sarasota is full of absolute mad lads. And Chicago failed to punt the ball and failed a 4th down conversion. So, with 2 seconds left, they hit another 51 yard field goal to win the game. The statistical improbability of them winning the game was one thing, but winning the game on back to back 51 yard field goals is absolutely absurd. And they beat the Yeti twice by 3 points or less. Must've been nice to be blessed this season. 

I don't put much personal stake on the sim, because I know it is a game at the end of the day. But, I would be lying if I said that I don't like winning. And as a member of the Yeti this season, I saw what the sim can do when it's angry. I don't even know what we did, maybe we actually got hit with the Big Edd curse. Or my Yeti predecessors ended up using up all of our luck to win the s22 Ultimus. I hope we find a way back on to the good side of the sim, cause I would love to compete for an Ultimus next season. 

(982 Words)

RE: (S28) Ultimus Week - Legally_Blind_Gamer - 05-08-2021

PBE Affiliate Written Point Task