International Simulation Football League
*Ztarwarz criticizes Awards - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Ztarwarz criticizes Awards (/showthread.php?tid=32060)

*Ztarwarz criticizes Awards - ztarwarz - 05-12-2021

Top 5 most UNBELIEVABLE Awards Snubs! (You won't believe Number 1!)

Jokes aside, there were some things I disagreed with in awards, some reasonable...some much less reasonable. I'm not including things I personally disagree with but can see an argument otherwise, such as Harrison Andrews over Rich Triplet with a worse completion percentage and 15 less pass breakups, or Danny King as Kicker of the year over Matty McDairmid and his many clutch kicks. I'm just going for the ones where I think there wasn't really an argument. As I paid much more attention to the ISFL and its stats, I am only going over those. I'm also not going to include things like GMs or Users of the season for this.

5. William Lim, Wide Receiver of the Year (More deserving candidates: Ed Barker, Videl San)

Lim is one that I saw coming but still am not happy about. To be frank, Videl was robbed here. Videl-San didn't have an interception when targeted all season, highest yards/target, yards/route run, and passer rating when targeted in the league. Specifically, when targeted, Videl San had a 139.8 passer rating. She had an average of 16 yards per catch, and was easily the best Wide receiver on the season. Of all the players on the ballot, Lim had the 2nd lowest yards per target and yards per route run, with only Despacito Jr being worse. I personally had Lim as the 4th best receiver on the season, who just got a ton of passes his way. This is going to come up again later. That being said, at least Lim was a great receiver this season.

4. Dex Kennedy and Calvin Golladay, Breakout players of the Year (More deserving candidates: Tugg Speedmann, Mac Griddle, probably a good portion of other players)

Both of these guys are here for a similar reason: Of the players there, they were the best before the season started and don't really fit as a Breakout player. This one is pretty simple.

3. Zee Rechs, Tight End of the Year (More deserving candidates: Clark Boyd, James Angler, Heath Evans)

I feel for Rechs. This was an extremely strong season for a bunch of Tight Ends and I don't think Rechs had a bad season at all. That being said, if had a ballot for TE, he wouldn't have made it on it. He only got a first down on a third of his catches, and didn't have that many yards compared to the others I have here. My best guess is that the 8 touchdowns Rechs got made him look like a better receiving tight end than he actually was this season. He was an amazing blocker, but in my opinion he was nowhere near the best tight end this season.

2. Matthias Caliban, Quarterback of the Year (More deserving candidates: Charlemagne Cortez, Monty Jack)

This is where we go from questionable to blatantly incorrect. Everything I said about William Lim also applies here, except having 2 better QBs on the season out of 14 is much worse than having 2 or 3 better WRs out of 40+. Caliban wasn't bad this season, but he was extremely average to even below average efficiency-wise. He was 8th in TD-INT ratio, 9th in yards per attempt, 10th in yards per completion, 6th in Passer Rating, 7th in Turnover %, 8th in AY/A, and 4th in ANY/A. The only reason he was even under consideration for this award was because he had an amazing supporting cast and threw the ball 775 times. All that means is that we play in a league with injuries turned off and the Yeti thought putting the ball in his hands over Richard Gilbert's was better. This was in my opinion the worst high profile award of the night. But a much lower profile award was easily the worst overall.

1. Dougie Smalls, Punter of the Year (More deserving candidates: Matthew McDairmid, Blago Kokot)

This one isn't a contest. Smalls had the 3rd best average punt distance. He did lead the league in punts inside the 20, but there is a very important reason for that: He punted the ball 89 times. The closest guy to him had 81 punts. Unlike Caliban, who had an average season on gargantuan usage, Smalls had a pretty strong season on a lot of usage. The problem? Kokot had a full yard on him in average and had about 4% higher average punts inside the 20. And Kokot wasn't the guy who should have won. McDairmid put 36 of his 70 punts, over HALF of his punts, inside the 20, led Kokot by about half a yard and Smalls by a yard and a half on punt average, and had a longer long punt than Smalls anyways. The fact that Smalls won this award over McDairmid is nothing short of a travesty.

Also, to add to this, something that should probably be changed about awards voting; when there is/should be a close race on other positional ballots, the top candidates either all belong on the MVP ballot, or none of them do. For example, both Tatsu Nakamura and Raphtalia Chan were put on the MVP ballot. This was acceptable, considering both were the top 2 running backs in the league and probably the top 2 offensive players in the league. The problem came with the other members of the ballot. Harrison Andrews being on the MVP ballot without Rich Triplet makes things seem like Rich Triplet is far off from Harrison Andrews' level, and no matter which side you think is better, there just isn't a massive gap. Same in regards to the QBs, where Caliban clearly didn't belong on the MVP ballot and only got a single 1st place vote (from Colorado itself, of course). I feel like Caliban being on the MVP ballot might have made the QB race look as if he had sewed it up, when in my opinion he definitely shouldn't have.

RE: Ztarwarz criticizes Awards - zaynzk - 05-12-2021

breakout player made 0 sense this year

RE: Ztarwarz criticizes Awards - BloomeyGB - 05-12-2021

(05-12-2021, 12:02 AM)ztarwarz. Wrote: 1. Dougie Smalls, Punter of the Year (More deserving candidates: Matthew McDairmid, Blago Kokot)

This one isn't a contest. Smalls had the 3rd best average punt distance. He did lead the league in punts inside the 20, but there is a very important reason for that: He punted the ball 89 times. The closest guy to him had 81 punts. Unlike Caliban, who had an average season on gargantuan usage, Smalls had a pretty strong season on a lot of usage. The problem? Kokot had a full yard on him in average and had about 4% higher average punts inside the 20. And Kokot wasn't the guy who should have won. McDairmid put 36 of his 70 punts, over HALF of his punts, inside the 20, led Kokot by about half a yard and Smalls by a yard and a half on punt average, and had a longer long punt than Smalls anyways. The fact that Smalls won this award over McDairmid is nothing short of a travesty.
In my view, the problem here is that people have absolutely no idea about how punting stats actually work. All they see is a few rows of numbers, and fail to contextualise them. Unfortunately for most of the punters in the league, this will mean constant uncertainty over awards, all because people don't look at the bigger picture.

RE: Ztarwarz criticizes Awards - GlimsTC - 05-12-2021

Not meant to be criticism towards anyone specific as I can understand why, but since we're complaining about awards, I do want to add that GMs need to not be allowed to vote for themselves as GM of the year. It's crazy how many times a GM voting for themselves allowed them to win the award or completely mess up the voting process. GM of the year should never be an award to pat yourself on the back with, as in my opinion, a GM of the year would never need to boast or do anything to say that they're the best GM - They just are. That's why it should be those who recognize that outside of the team that get to decide if it's a season worth recognizing.