International Simulation Football League
*Taking a Look at the Careers of 1OA picks - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Taking a Look at the Careers of 1OA picks (/showthread.php?tid=32511)

Pages: 1 2

*Taking a Look at the Careers of 1OA picks - zaynzk - 05-23-2021

2x Charity Voucher

Being the number one overall pick in any draft comes with some huge expectations, and the prospect is usually seen as a "cant miss" pick; it seems that its usually reserved for big name recreates and super exciting new users; and people in general who are seen as "sure things" and often make a large impact on both the league and the team they are drafted too; so I want to go back and view some of the users and careers behind these picks and see were they are now. I have decided to start with the S16 draft since it features a player who was still playing when I joined the league;

With the First Pick in the S16 draft the Chicago Butchers Select : Sam Torenson RB @Jonny2x

I was pretty shocked to learn that Sam Torenson was originally a Butcher for two seasons, it seems he was traded to Philly for Marquise Brown, who was super old at the time, and a late round pick (which i assume is worth very little, this seemed to be viewed as a bad trade even then, with users like Dermot opening mocking Chicago for trading a young talent for a aging brown. Torenson stayed with Philly the rest of his career and peaked at above 1200 TPE; so while it did not work out for Chicago; Torenson reached the expectations required of a first time user with high earning and a long career. It was kinda cool seeing a completly new player being the first overall pick here

With the First Pick in the S17 draft the Austin Copperheads Select : Ashley Owens RB @run_CMC

Another running back goes 1oa and another RB leaves the team after two seasons. A very weird trend; but Owens lefts Austin after playing their two seasons and took his talents to Colorado; based on his signing and retirement thread i guess it seems like Austin GM AdamS was aware this would happen and held no hard feelings. Owens had a very successful stint on the Yeti; eventually joined New York in his twilight years and while he only hit 1032 TPE he had a very solid career winning awards and pro bowls. However again while Owens had a great career it was clear that this pick did not work out how Austin Expected. Run obviously was a long time user at this point with him being the GM of Arizona with his last player and its clear that Austin was happy to get that type of user in their LR early in their history

With the First Pick in the S18 draft the New Orleans Second Line Select : Bjorn Ironside DT @IsaStarcrossed

This is the first pick i have looked at were the player ended up staying with his team the entire time, Isa ended up being the GM of New Orleans during his time there; and while Ironside ended up retiring earlier; this pick clearly worked out for NOLA as they got a very good user in their war room and while his GM tenure ended with a bit of controversy NOLA still got a very good user with this pick. The 2nd New Create who was taken early which is a bit of a cool trend that has appeared early

With the First Pick in the S19 draft the New Orleans Second Line Select : Mack Arianlacher LB @LordMacharius

With Mack both peaking at only 700 tpe and being left unprotected in the expansion draft (were he was selected 2oa) this player obviously didnt hit the hights NOLA probably expected when taking him 1oa. It seemed like he was a super cool user but was IA before i even entered the league; He seemed like a pretty cool user and maybe one day he will return but Mack Arianlacher obviously didnt hit the expectations expected with a 1OA pick. He was another new user, making it 3/4 of the 1oa picks being a new user

With the First Pick in the S20 draft the Austin Copperheads Select : Kyle Idlewyld DE @Kyle

Kyle is someone i know pretty well, as one of the founders of the Dallas Birddogs, Idlewyld had a bit of an earlier retirement than a 1oa pick would be expected and only peaked at 920 TPE; but he was appointed as Austin GM soon after the retirement meaning the user was clearly worth the 1oa selection. The only user so far that is still associated with the team that drafted them 1oa Kyle was a very solid pick for Austin and is still paying them back for their faith. Kyle is the 4th new user i have looked at with this 1oa pick

With the First Pick in the S21 draft the Orange County Otters Select : Prince Vegeta S @jeffie43

Another user who spent his entire career with one team, Jeffie was a great pick for OCO. He was eventually named Lasers Co-GM and they had a decent amount of success. Jeffie was a stupid high earner for a good bit; with him and Frost duking it out going for the record but i believe he slowed or stopped earning around the time he stepped down letting frost take the lead. But with him peaking at 1430 TPE makes him the highest TPE player we have seen so far. Jeffie recently retired and recreated so he is no longer associated with OCO but he clearly was a huge part of their team and culture. He is the 5th completly new user to go 1oa that i have looked at.

With the First Pick in the S22 draft the Austin Copperheads Select : Colt Mendoza CB @iStegosauruz

This is an interesting pick to look at cause he clearly made a huge impact on Austin however he was traded half way through his career to New York. I know Steg pretty well as he is a HO member and New York happens to be the team I GM, plus he drafted me to Dallas when he was GM there. Steg Peaked at 1378 TPE, and is surprisingly the first non-retired player on this list (except Mack Arianlacher who is technically still alive just unsigned). Again a trend that is kinda surprising to me with another new create going 1oa (if your keeping track that 6/7)

With the First Pick in the S23 draft the Colorado Yeti Select : Greedy Sly S @Sylphreni

The 3rd DB drafted 1oa in a row, Syl is a pretty well known user around the league as he is the Current GM of the Colorado Yeti. Like I said with Kyle, it is always a great sign when you draft your eventual replacement. Greedy Sly retired Early from the Yeti, peaking at 1083 TPE, and also swapped to OL were he was actually decently successful. Sly is sthe 7th New Create who was taken 1oa and this kinda destroys my notion of recreates being a common 1oa pick as so far we only had 1.

With the First Pick in the S24 draft the Chicago Butchers Select : Juan Domine LB @"Maglubiyet"

Surprisingly only the 2nd 1oa pick that is still playing, Mag is a pretty great user for Chicago with him being a large part of their team and help Chicago become a competitor for the majority of my time in the league. Mag at the time im writing this had 1261 tpe and still has a couple seasons before he regresses so expect him to be a force for the Butchers for years to come. This guy is another new create making the total 8

With the First Pick in the S25 draft the Berlin Fire Salamanders Select : Swantavius Jones CB @Swanty

Swanty was the first ever pick for the new Berlin Expansion team. Obviously he had large expectations on his shoulders and so far he has met them, with him being a part of both HO and the Sim Transfer team. A guy who seems to have no intention of leaving Berlin Either and at 1000+ tpe he has largely met expectations. Swanty is the 9th new user selected which is a wild thing to see.

With the First Pick in the S26 draft the Berlin Fire Salamanders Select : Bambam McMullet LB @manicmav36

Berlin Held the 1oa pick again this year and selected Bambam McMullet, who was long time user Manic's player. Manic is the site owner and a simmer making him one of the most important users in the ISFL, and according to Sid's rankings is the 6th Greatest GM of all time, and a pretty safe pick for 1oa with him currently having 888 tpe which is among the top earners in his class. Manic is only the 2nd recreate so far that was picked 1oa.

With the First Pick in the S27 draft the Honolulu Hahalua Select : Eleven Kendrick-Watts WR @124715

Another recreate taken 1oa, and the top earner in his class at 721 TPE, Numbers is a huge user and is both a DSFL Simmer and the new Rookie Mentor head. While this will be his first season in the ISFL, he will come in being Honolulu's WR1 and hopes to make a strong connection with fellow rookie Joilet Christ Jr early.

With the First Pick in the S28 draft the Baltimore Hawks Select : Luke Quick WR @Bigred1580

Unlike Kendrick-Watts Quick went up right away as a true rookie and is already the WR1 for Skywalker. Bigred is a super well known user as a former GM of YKW (ranked 27th all time greatest GM) as well as countless other roles in the league. A huge name to sign on for Baltimore in their rebuild and hopes to have Quick be just as legendary as his last WR Nate Swift. this is the 3rd 1oa Recreate in a row. Its

With the First Pick in the S29 draft the Baltimore Hawks Select : Dante King RB @shadyshoelace

Speaking of former YKW GM's, legendary GM shadyshoelace joins the guy who appointed him GM as a Baltimore 1oa pick. He is considered the 3rd best GM of all time, and an all around league legend. While Baltimore already had a RB its hard to pass up on an amazing user to add to a stacked and growing War Room. Called up right away it will be interesting to see if King has the type of Career Nero had. Shady continues this interesting rush on Recreates going 1oa.

Future 1oa? Well its WAY too early to really know who will be the top pick in this draft, with New Users being mostly unknowns at this point. However S30 seems to be a heavy recreate class so someone like TomHanks, terriblehippo, or Revolution5 would not be super out of place at this spot. But its up to the future to tell.

Weird Things I noticed:

A Recreate run appeared to have started in S26, a lot of big names recreates started retiring their first players and recreating, and teams seem to trust users who are known quantities.

S18->S25 were all new creates at 1OA seems to show the success of recruitment during peak covid with a lot of new ideas flowing in from people who now had a lot of free time.

Running Backs at 1oa a Mistake!?!?! The only two RB's who went 1oa in this time line only spent a few season with their drafted team before leaving for green pastures. Will Shady break this random trend will be something that will be interesting to watch.

Early Retirements. 4 of the players on this list retired well before their "expiration date" while its clear alot of this is due to 1OA picks somewhat often becoming GM's of their team, its a surprising trend that the oldest 1oa pick only entered his first year of regression this year.

Yellowknife?!?!? 3/4 of the last 1oa were heavily involved with the YKW With Manic, BigRed, and Shady all being former Wraiths

This was a fun thing to work on and its been a while since i mad a media since ive been a bit busy with school and GMing; but its cool looking at 1oa picks; Its an elite group and i highly doubt i will ever join that group

RE: Taking a Look at the Careers of 1OA picks - 124715 - 05-23-2021

Didn't realize we had 8 new users in a row then 4 recreates, wild

RE: Taking a Look at the Careers of 1OA picks - hexify - 05-24-2021

Interesting stuff

RE: Taking a Look at the Careers of 1OA picks - .simo - 05-24-2021

Love this write up.

RE: Taking a Look at the Careers of 1OA picks - Sebster - 05-24-2021

@"Maglubiyet" best 1oa ever #unbiased

RE: Taking a Look at the Careers of 1OA picks - infinitempg - 05-24-2021

(05-23-2021, 11:07 PM)zaynzk Wrote: With the First Pick in the S17 draft the Austin Copperheads Select : Ashley Owens RB @run_CMC

Another running back goes 1oa and another RB leaves the team after two seasons. A very weird trend; but Owens lefts Austin after playing their two seasons and took his talents to Colorado; based on his signing and retirement thread i guess it seems like Austin GM AdamS was aware this would happen and held no hard feelings.

i think most of us remember this differently

(11-17-2019, 07:02 PM)AdamS Wrote: I can't believe this is how I'm finding out

RE: Taking a Look at the Careers of 1OA picks - shadyshoelace - 05-24-2021

(05-24-2021, 09:56 AM)infinitempg Wrote:
(05-23-2021, 11:07 PM)zaynzk Wrote: With the First Pick in the S17 draft the Austin Copperheads Select : Ashley Owens RB @run_CMC

Another running back goes 1oa and another RB leaves the team after two seasons. A very weird trend; but Owens lefts Austin after playing their two seasons and took his talents to Colorado; based on his signing and retirement thread i guess it seems like Austin GM AdamS was aware this would happen and held no hard feelings.

I don't think anyone has ever said "I can't believe this is how I'm finding out" non-sarcastically in this league

RE: Taking a Look at the Careers of 1OA picks - shadyshoelace - 05-24-2021

This is an awesome writeup, super cool analysis!

RE: Taking a Look at the Careers of 1OA picks - infinitempg - 05-24-2021

(05-24-2021, 10:29 AM)shadyshoelace Wrote:
(05-24-2021, 09:56 AM)infinitempg Wrote:

I don't think anyone has ever said "I can't believe this is how I'm finding out" non-sarcastically in this league

I can't believe this is how I'm finding out

RE: Taking a Look at the Careers of 1OA picks - Kotasa - 05-24-2021

(05-23-2021, 11:07 PM)zaynzk Wrote:  Its an elite group and i highly doubt i will ever join that group
True