International Simulation Football League
*London Royals Class of S28: Road to the ISFL - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *London Royals Class of S28: Road to the ISFL (/showthread.php?tid=32633)

*London Royals Class of S28: Road to the ISFL - Pib - 05-30-2021

2x Media Voucher

Heading into season 27, the London Royals had once again been rocked by call ups in some critical positions, in addition to having an on-going issue with their running back spot. The loss of their talismanic and highly impressive quarterback, Charlemagne Cortez, would be one of the most notable departures, as he moved on to take the role from ISFL legend Jay Cue at the Arizona Outlaws. Amusingly, Jay Cue would ultimately end up taking a few steps forward and protecting his successor on the offensive line. I’m sure Cortez simply loved having his judgemental eyes on him for the entire season.

The Draft

The draft for London was… eventful and, quite frankly, strange — particularly from my perspective. The GM’s took an incredibly aggressive stance with their picks and ultimately, it seemed to have paid off. The team had been ravaged by the ISFL, losing their starting quarterback, one of the league's best safeties, their starting running back and one of the teams leading wide receivers. There were a lot of holes to fill.

Round 1, Pick 6 - Glenn Smart - Defensive End

It was no secret that I had a preference for London but I still, to this day, have no idea what Slate and Katarn were thinking with this pick. Modern Duke — an ISFL veteran — was on the board and a shoe-in for the London Royals, as one of the original founders of the team. So, for them to look beyond him and go for another defensive end that had only rocked up to the league a few weeks earlier was baffling, not just for me but for various members of the league — as became evident through their media posts, in which I was referred to as a reach on more than one occasion.

I spent my entire first season trying to vindicate their decision, max earning all the way. Whether that was me trying to repay them for their faith or my way of trying to disguise their insanity as genius, to keep our competitors on their toes, I’m still not sure. Something very few people know is that at least one team planned to take me ahead of the Royals in the second round. So, truth be told, had the Royals not taken me here then I would likely have been somewhere else entirely. Either way, I’m really glad they did.

Round 2, Pick 14 - Manhattan Project - Defensive End / Running Back

Somehow, this legend fell from the first round and into the second, for the Royals to sweep up (in my opinion) the steal of the draft. This was the guy that everyone had going Round 1 to London, so when I saw that we managed to get him, I genuinely let out a sigh of relief. Duke stepped up and assumed the position of running back, as the loss of Yaki to the ISFL created a huge hole that needed to be filled. He immediately began terrorising defenses, rushing for almost 100 yards and a touchdown in his first game.

Round 3, Pick 22 - C J Sonjack - Cornerback

Another recreate and a fantastic pick by London. Ace is a great guy and a consistent earner, who would fill the role of cornerback exceptionally well in his debut season - kicking things off with 2 interceptions (one of which he returned for a touchdown) and 3 tackles in a performance that earned him the defensive player of the week. If that’s not an immediate impact, I don’t know what is. He would

Round 4, Pick 30 - Red Arrow Jr - Quarterback

This was the pick that everyone was waiting for — the person that would be handed the reins to the franchise. Red Arrow was a recreate that had previously won the Ultimus before retiring his player, promising to return one day in the future. To find someone of this pedigree, in a “need position” of great importance, this late in the draft represents ridiculous value.

Round 5, Pick 38 - Makoa Mahi’ai - Offensive Line / Tight End

Finally, another European and another big man to add to the roster. If nothing else, this draft added a lot of beef to the London locker room. Ultimately, Mahi’ai would move over to Tight End from the Offensive Line, filling a great need for the team, while still allowing him to serve up pancakes on a regular basis. This was a move that worked out incredibly well for all involved and saw Makoa called up to the ISFL at the end of his first season.

Round 7, Pick 49 - Spencer Fields - Safety

Spencer was to be the next big thing at safety for the London Royals, however — at the time of writing — he is yet to progress beyond his initial 50 TPE. Regardless of this, he is a great guy and one that we all hope will return soon, as we all miss the pictures of his cats.

Round 8, Pick 62 - Willie Miller - Cornerback

Willie Miller was a bit of a diamond in the rough, as he burst into activity shortly after being drafted. Slate said at the time of drafting that he was to be a player for the future. Since then he has become a valued member of the team and is very active in our locker room, consistently adding TPE week after week. Willie is without question one of the stars of the team and created a fearsome duo at CB, along with CJ Sonjack during their tenure with the Royals.

Round 9, Pick 67 - Gerard Grenouille - Running Back

Grenouille was, unfortunately, never really active for the London Royals. Nonetheless, the player has contributed on the field with a few touchdowns. Hopefully, we’ll see this guy return in the near future.

Round 9, Pick 70 - Alastor Hazbin / Rainbow Dash - Kicker / Punter

Mr Irrelevant, the final pick of the season DSFL draft. Everyone presumed that this returning veteran was completely IA but immediately after being drafted, he appeared in our voice channel with what can only be described as copious amounts of enthusiasm and has been steadily earning ever since. In his first game for the Royals he set a franchise record of 6/6 field goals, including a 51 yard conversion and hasn’t looked back. He’s also an absolutely delightful user, making him a valued member of the London locker room. For the brand.

Preseason

The preseason was something of a mixed (but positive) bag for the London Royals, coming out of the four games with a 3-1 record — facing some stiff competition along the way.

@ Portland Pythons L 20-0

Our first game, played behind closed doors, against the Portland Pythons was less than flattering. A resounding 20-0 defeat away from home certainly didn’t bode well for the season but there were bright spots, with the veterans of the team leading the way. Asui and Hulkenvettel provided reliable outlets to Arrow Jr, as the rookie QB took his first snaps in the DSFL. Meanwhile, on defense, Cheeks and Sarrasin did their best to slow the role of one of the most dominant offenses in the DSFL, led by Lebron James III. Caven McRae also stepped up to the plate with 2 interceptions, without which the score could really have gotten out of hand and left the team’s morale in tatters. It also certainly didn’t hurt that the Royals still had access to the reigning Defensive Player of the Year, Steve Wadham, at this point either. However, Wadham’s time in London would soon come to an end, with NOLA exercising their right to call him up to the ISFL.

Tijuana Luchadores W 16-11

This game saw London return to winning ways with a 16-11 victory. Our rookie heavy offense really struggled to move the ball, which would be an expected trend early in the season, as Red Arrow ended the game with 225 yards, 1 TD, 3 ints and a rating of 37.7. Project and Grenouille also had limited success on the ground, averaging a little under 3 yards per carry between them. However, they were doing enough to get us in range for the London kicker, Rainbow Dash, to ultimately steal the spotlight with 3/4 field goals converted. Despite a late touchdown from Tijuana, special teams had really saved the day for us on this occasion.

@ Kansas City Coyotes W 27-14

In Kansas, we saw why Steve Wadham was the reigning defensive player of the year, as he racked up six tackles for loss in a single game. For context, that’s 3 times more than any DSFL safety got in the entire S28 season. Red Arrow found his feet in his game, throwing for 167 yards and 3 touchdowns but most importantly didn’t turn over the ball. Project also showed flashes of brilliance that we, as a team, would later come to rely on — averaging 4.6 yards per carry. On the defensive side of the ball, it remained the veterans that were doing most of the heavy lifting, with Spencer Fields being the standout member of the class with 4 tackles.

@ Dallas Birddogs W 23-13

In the final preseason game against our expansion rivals, Dallas, it was much of the same. The veterans of the defense held it all together, with our two rookie corners being the key performers from the class. Both players put up 3 tackles, while CJ Sonjack also managed to get those big ol’ hands in the way of a pass. Offensively, Red Arrow learned that Hulkenvettel was his goto guy as the 3rd year veteran put up 153 yards and 2 touchdowns, while Asui remained a dependable second option with 63 yards. The entire rookie class to this point was still playing cameos, as they prepared for the regular season.

Regular Season

This is where the scores were being counted. Everyone was updated and we could finally see where we truly stand. No more meme strats or 50 TPE builds.

Norfolk Seawolves W 39-0

I feel comfortable saying that the class stepped up to the plate in their first game. Rainbow Dash hit a stunning 6/6 field goals to help an offense that wasn’t having much luck through the air, while CJ Sonjack made 3 tackles, 2 interceptions and took one of them to the house. Add to that Manhattan Project rushing for almost 100 yards and a touchdown and you’ll understand why we all felt so positive early in the season. Willie Miller and Glenn Smart also showed flashes of what they would become with an interception for Miller and a sack for Glenn Smart. Fields continued to find action at the safety position, registering 5 tackles for the game. A solid debut for all involved.

Tijuana Luchadores L 16-0

This was a painful reality check. Our offense struggled to get going, with only 150 yards through the air and 35 total yards on the ground. We simply couldn’t move the ball against the Tij defense and it was painful to watch. This was always going to be an issue, so we weren’t too shocked. On defense, we had some success. Glenn Smart managed to make 11 tackles, two for a loss and get a forced fumble (which was recovered by Fergus Callaghan Jr), while CJ Sonjack also stacked up 5 tackles for his own stat sheet. A rough game but one that served as a quick reminder that we had a tough season ahead.

@ Dallas Birddogs L 20-10

Once again, facing off with our expansion rivals. I was warned ahead of time that this wouldn’t be an easy game and the locker room had a little something extra about it for this game, as many of us got a taste of the rivalry for the first time. We wanted this one. Unfortunately, it wasn’t to be and the eventual Ultimini Champions picked us apart — despite solid efforts from Project and waiver pickup Taipan Pete, who averaged 6.9 and 7.7 yards per carry respectively. Logan Sarrasin also registered 16 tackles on defense, which would end up being a single game league record for the season. We were simply outclassed here but had no time to ponder our shortcomings, as the powerhouse of Portland was up next.

@ Portland Pythons W 16-14

Once again, the veterans of the team stepped up here to secure a hard fought victory. Asui crossed the 100 yard threshold for receiving yards, on his way to a touchdown, while the linebacker duo of Sarrasin and Cheeks locked the entire game down with 23 tackles, 2 TFL’s and a sack between them. Miller and Smart once again did their best to keep pace, with Smart registering 5 tackles, 1 TFL and 2 sacks, while Willie Miller got himself 4 tackles, 2 PD’s and a fumble recovery. An unexpected but much needed victory against one of the DSFL’s strongest teams.

Kansas City Coyotes W 21-13

This was the game when Manhattan Project really announced himself within the league, rushing for over 160 yards on 20 attempts. Taipan Pete also rushed for 74 yards, which was a career high for him at this point. Red Arrow continued to have a rough start to his career, throwing for 132 yards, 1 TD and 2 Int’s, as he struggled to strike up a rapport with his receivers. On defense, the rookies continued to do well around the veterans, as Smart landed 4 tackles, 2 TFL’s and a sack. CJ Sonjack also had a stellar game with 4 tackles and 3 PD’s, while Spencer Fields got himself 2 tackles, 2 PD’s and an interception. A solid showing against the eventual Ultimini participants.

@ Minnesota Grey Ducks L 30-7

I can only really describe the game as a humbling experience. We had already lost a couple of games this season but for many of us, it was the first time that we sat and watched our dots get obliterated by their dots. We were never really in the game, as Madison Hayes rushed for 172 yards against us and we failed to register a single point until the final 2 minutes in the 4th quarter, when Makoa Mahi’ai got into the end zone. There really weren’t any other highlights for the class. Both Miller and Sonjack forced a fumble a piece, while Smart stacked up three TFL’s but ultimately, there really was nothing to celebrate after this one.

Bondi Beach Buccaneers W 28-9

A bounce back performance was certainly needed here, as we continued to push towards a spot in the playoffs and Manhattan Project once again showed that our success as a team was incredibly dependent upon his performances in the running game. Project rushed for almost 150 yards and a touchdown, as he led the offense to glory. Mahi’ai put up a respectable 26 yards on 3 receptions. The defense shut the BBB offense down, consistently bending but not breaking as they didn’t allow their opposition to reach the end zone on any of their drives. Willie Miller put up a career high 5 PD’s — which would amount to almost a third of his total production in this category for the season. Sonjack held down his side of the field with a solid 4 tackles, while Smart added 2 sacks to his tally for the season.

@ Norfolk Seawolves L 23-17

The main note from the game is that it marked the start of the worst losing streak during the class's tenure at London and possibly in the history of the franchise, as they would lose the next five straight games. Despite Pete having his first 100 yard game, we really failed to get rolling. Bean Beanman was an absolute force for the Seawolves in this game, as he registered 3 sacks and a TFL, shutting down a lot of our drives before they even really started. Outside of Pete, there really wasn’t much to be excited about. Despite the result of the game itself appearing to be a close fought one, the Seawolves were certainly the better team on the day.

@ Tijuana Luchadores L 14-10

Once again, a close fought game that we ended up on the wrong side of as the offense struggled to move the ball against a tough Tijuana D. There were no real highlights for the rookies, as the veterans of the team stepped up to stop the bleeding. None more so than the linebacker duo of Logan Sarrasin and Duke Cheeks, who got 22 tackles, 2 TFL’s and 2 PD’s between them. Nonetheless, it wasn’t enough to stop London falling to their second consecutive defeat.

Dallas Birddogs L 17-13

The expansion team rivalry always produces a different type of energy in the locker room and everyone was hyped to try and turn the run of results around here but unfortunately, it was not to be the case. Despite being a close game throughout, in which both Manhattan Project and Red Arrow both cleared 50 rushing yards, there simply wasn’t enough juice in the tank to get us across the line. On defense it was another relatively low impact game for the rookies, however the defensive line did have arguably one of their best games all season. Callaghan registered 8 tackles and a TFL, while Zane Cruz got himself a sack and a couple of TFL’s, as the line’s rookie Glenn Smart also put up a sack and a TFL. A really close game and one that could have gone either way but it simply wasn’t our day… again.

Portland Pythons L 13-6

At this point the Portland Pythons were looking like the most dominant team in the league and given our recent form, expectations were relatively low for the game. As we had seen throughout the season, we had to have our running game on point to pick up a victory and it appeared that Portland had figured that out too. They shut down every avenue for our running backs and even Red Arrow, on the few occasions he tried to move the ball on the ground himself. Our net yards on the ground for the day was 19, as Portland shut us down. Realistically, the whole game could have been a blowout, had it not been for the performance of CJ Sonjack. The rookie corner got himself 6 tackles, 5 PD’s and 3 interceptions in what would eventually be the performance of the season. Miller registered 6 tackles, while Smart bagged himself a sack, 2 TFL’s and forced fumble and a recovery. It wasn’t the result we were hoping for but there were a lot of positives to take away from the game, as we held the best offense in the league to just 13 points.

@ Kansas City Coyotes L 34-10

At this point our playoff chances were in the gutter and a loss to KCC would see us fall to the bottom of the conference. Naturally, that was what would happen. Despite Taipan Pete stepping up with another 100+ yard performance, we once again struggled to bring home the win. After a monsoon of turnovers against Portland, the London defense struggled to get the ball back in the hands of Red Arrow on too many occasions, allowing their offense to take a 10 point lead by half time, which they successfully built upon in the second half of the game — with London’s only response being a 47 yard field goal from Alastor Hazbin. A few of the losses in this streak had felt a little unlucky but this was one in which we could certainly say we were comfortably beaten by a team that would go onto the Ultimini. No shame at all, as the better team won.

Minnesota Grey Ducks W 20-10

I believe at this point, the math had been run within the locker room and we were well aware that we needed a minor miracle to find our way into the playoffs but there was still boat loads of enthusiasm, with a few of us quietly already looking towards next season and the team we could potentially be — depending on call ups and the outcome of the draft. Again, the standout performance came from CJ Sonjack who bagged himself 3 PD’s and 2 interceptions to go along with his 5 tackles. Red Arrow was beginning to find his form, throwing for 244 yards, although he did throw two picks along the way. Will Miller also had a solid game, registering 2 PD’s and 5 tackles. We won’t talk about the fact that it was a pick six from a GM bot that secured the victory. We’ll just giggle and move on.

@ Bondi Beach Buccaneers W 32-3

We headed into this game knowing that we needed to win by an absurd margin of 70-80 points, while having results go in our direction elsewhere too. I don’t remember the exact figure required but I believe that it would have required some sort of DSFL record being broken for it to have been pulled off. Long story short, despite a fantastic performance from all involved, there was to be no great escape from the London Royals on this occasion. Our season was over and we were looking forward, confident that we could perform next season.

Offseason

The off season was great for London. While we lost some key figures, such as Marlon Brando, Logan Sarrison, Duke Cheeks, Maha’ai and the always reliable Asui to the ISFL, we got a great crop of rookies that looked set to contribute to the team very early. Everyone that joined the locker room fit in incredibly well and those that departed did so with our best wishes. While we knew the road would be tough, there was some discussion in back channels about our chances at the Ultimini and we headed into the season quietly confident that we could make the playoffs and give ourselves every chance of winning the whole thing.

Portland Pythons W 20-13

Opening the season against Portland felt like a great way to get an idea of where we stood as a team. They had been one of the powerhouses of the league in the previous season and a quick glance at their roster would tell you that would also be the case for the season ahead. However, this time around we were coming in with an offense that had capped players at multiple positions, so if the defense could hold them as they had before then we stood every chance of getting results.

The dependence on the running game had now been slightly lessened, we Red Arrow opened the season with a great performance through the air — throwing for 253 yards, 2 TD’s and 0 Ints. Add to that his 33 yards on the ground and you have a worthy gameball winner. Project and Taipan Pete also rushed for 50+ yards a piece, while the defense consistently kept the Portland offense at bay. A great win to kick the season off.

Kansas City Coyotes W 41-10

Manhattan Project really got the ball rolling in this game, with 138 rushing yards and 4 TD’s, while his partner in crime — Taipan Pete — also put up a very respectable 85 yards, Rainbow Dash had a perfect game, converting 5/5 extra points, in addition to 2 field goals, showing once again that he is amongst the best in the league at his position. Meanwhile on defense the Twin Towers of CJ Sonjack and Will Miller continued to dominate, with Sonjack getting himself 3 tackles, 1 PD and 1 interception and Miller preferring to deal with the problem before it became one, as he bagged himself 1 tackle, 3 PD’s and 2 interceptions. For the first time in his career, Glenn Smart failed to register a single tackle — with his only stat being a 15 yard penalty. Thankfully, the rookie Lucid Dreams stepped up to the plate and covered in his borderline absence from the game. All in all, this was a great result for the Royals, as they obliterated a team that had just recently participated in the Ultimini. The team would have been happy to win one of the opening two games of the season, so we were naturally elated to have won them both.

Norfolk Seawolves W 40-17

Heading into this one, a win was somewhat expected. After the previous victories and the fact that we obliterated the Seawolves in preseason 63-14, anything other than a win would be considered a catastrophe. Thankfully, we took the win and did so relatively comfortably. Red Arrow took the game by the scruff of the neck and dominated it from start to finish — Passing for 151 yards and rushing for an incredible 174, for three touchdowns, as he did his finest Lamar Jackson impersonation. Project rushed for just shy of 100, while Taipan Pete also contributed 37 yards on the ground. On the defensive side of the ball Willie Miller made 5 tackles with 4 PD’s, Sonjack added 4 tackles to his season's tally, in addition to a PD of his own. Smart got his campaign back on track with 4 tackles, 1 TFL and 2 sacks. All in all, this was a great game for the Class of S28, as the entire team once again got the job done to progress to 3-0 on the season.

@ Dallas Birddogs L 35-24

Despite London taking an early 17 point lead, Dallas fought back to maintain their 100% winning record against this class of players. Arrow once again had a solid game through the air, throwing for 223 yards, 2 TD’s and 1 int, while Project resumed his position as the teams leader in the ground game with 97 rushing yards. Defensively, however, the team somewhat struggled, with the standout performance coming from a GM Bot who registered 11 tackles, 1 TFL and a FF. A disappointing day at the office for London but the team continued to hold their heads high at 3-1.

@ Tijuana Luchadores W 21-20

Tijuana had been riding the wave that is Lonnie Jackson coming into the game and he remained their sole gameplan for London — and it proved highly effective. Jackson rushed for 202 yards against the Royals on 25 attempts, as we seemingly had no answer for the explosive running back. Project and Pete attempted to offset his impact with impressive performances of their own, rushing for 93 yards and 86 yards respectively. On the defensive side of the ball, it was really decided in the trenches as two of the league's most run heavy teams went head to head. London really came out on top here, as Callaghan and Smart got 2 TFL’s a piece, in addition to Smart and Lucid also adding a sack a piece to their seasons tally. An incredibly close fought game that was decided by a single point, with Taipan Pete getting into the endzone with less than 2 minutes ago and Rainbow Dash converting the extra point for the 21-20 win.

Bondi Beach Buccaneers L 30-17

Naturally, we all knew there would be speed bumps along the way and didn’t really expect to go on long unbeaten streaks, so a loss to BBB wasn’t a huge shock. They’re a solid team that are capable of handing even the best teams in the league a fat L. They really just out performed us through the air and on the ground, with Zaylren and Prince putting in solid performances against us. Project put in a respectable 85 yards on the ground but our passing game didn’t really keep pace — as is commonplace in the DSFL. On the defensive side of the ball, Sonjack racked up 8 tackles and 2 PD’s, while Smart and Miller registered 6 tackles a piece — with Smart also getting 2 TFL’s. Rainbow Dash had a solid punting game, putting 4 of his 6 punts inside the opposition's own 20. Nonetheless, we were comfortably beaten.

@ Minnestota Grey Ducks W 17-12

Against the Grey Ducks, London once again played the smashmouth football that they were becoming known for. Project put up 109 yards on the ground, while Pete contributed a stellar 87 yards of his own. Arrow meanwhile had a relatively quiet but efficient day at the office, throwing for 137 yards, 1 TD and 1 Int. Sonjack — who managed to force a fumble — and Miller each capably held down their sides of the field, while the defensive line went to work. Smart registered 2 sacks, while Lucid Dreams and Callaghan grabbed one each for themselves. Turnovers were in short supply and the one that did come was from a Bot — not for the first time that season. This was a hard fought but well earned victory that sent London to 5-2 on the season.

Norfolk Seawolves W 20-17

Red Arrow took this game into his own hands, throwing for 20/29, 209 yards, 2 TD’s and 0 interceptions, as the teams running game somewhat faltered — with the two running backs combining for 77 yards between them. Rookie tight end Hunter had himself a game with 66 yards and 2 TD’s, as he played the role of primary receiver for the day. Meanwhile, Rainbow Dash once again had an awesome performance, converting 100% of his kicks and punting 5 of 8 into the opposition's 20. Smart racked up 7 tackles and 3 TFL’s, while the Twin Towers had relatively quiet days at the office in the cornerback position. This was a close game and there’s a strong argument for it being won by the special teams performance of Rainbow Dash, as he consistently pinned the Seawolves back when London’s offense struggled to make something of their drives.

@ Dallas Birddogs W 47-42

We had been waiting for this one, as we finally felt like we were at a level to truly put the Birddogs to the sword. London took a commanding lead in the 3rd quarter but Dallas refused to lay down and came back strong to make for a dramatic finish. We were incredibly efficient in this game, with only 1 turnover and zero punts. This was testament to the world of the offense, who were consistently either getting into the end zone or putting us in field goal range to keep the scoreboard ticking over. The class of S28 certainly had a huge impact on the game, with Project rushing for 114 yards, while Pete added 58 for himself. Arrow threw for 279 yards — 136 of which were to Hulkenvettel, his longtime primary receiver. Sonjack and Miller put up solid numbers, considering the opposition they were facing. Holding onto Cowabunga with the form they had shown all season was no easy feat, so it was no real shock that he managed to break off a few big plays to reach 144 yards receiving. A great win over our expansion rivals and one that really had the locker room pumped and optimistic about the season, as it was a real wakeup call for all involved that this may actually be our year.

@ Kansas City Coyotes W 24-21

Kansas came into this game on a bit of a hot streak, having won their last 4 games. Of course, London were on a streak of their own and were in the running for the #1 seed, so there was an awful lot on the line here. It would be a real team effort to breakdown the Coyotes but CJ Sonjack perhaps had the real standout game, as he held onto Kendrick-Watts and limited him to 74 yards receiving, amassing 9 tackles, 2 PD’s and an interception along the way. With this win, the Royals moved to 8-2 for the season, as we headed towards crunch time.

@ Tijuana Luchadores W 28-27

After winning the previous game against Tijuana by a single point, we knew that this was always going to be a tight game — although we really didn’t expect it to be quite as tight again. Once again, Lonnie Jackson ran all over us, just as he had the rest of the league all season long. His 191 yards and 3 TD’s really had us on the backfoot, as Tijuana lead 27-14 at half time. However, thanks to an incredible final 4 minutes from Taipan Pete, in which he scored two touchdowns — both of which were converted by Rainbow Dash — we took a 1 point lead with just 16 seconds left on the clock. With Tijuana having no real chance to respond, London moved to 9-2, all securing their spot in the playoffs.

Bondi Beach Buccaneers W 41-14

After a tight first half, in which the Buccaneers lead the Royals 17-14, London came out in the second half swinging. After 17 unanswered points in the 3rd quarter, London were well on their way to a victory and sealed it in the 4th with a further unanswered TD from… Yup, a GM bot. The key to winning and Ultimini? GM Bots. You heard it here first. Taipan Pete clocked in with yet another 100 yard game, after his heroics in the previous week. Project wasn’t too far behind him with 94 yards of his own, as he continued his relentless pursuit of the rushing yard leaders. Sonjack and Miller had themselves a ball in the secondary, causing 3 forced fumbles between them, with Miller also getting himself 2 PD’s.

@ Portland Pythons L 34-17

All good things must come to an end. London’s 6 game with streak is dismantled at the hands of our conference rivals who we were competing with for the #1 seed. Truth be told, we simply couldn’t hold onto them. Two of their receivers cleared 100 yards receiving, along with Roman rushing for 100 yards. We simply weren’t on their level that day. At this point, we kind of drew a line under the game, took notes and prepared to face them in the playoffs. There were no real positives from anyone we’ve been following throughout this process and those that had respectable statlines weren’t really celebrating them. Onto the next one.

Minnesota Grey Ducks W 23-16

The final game of the regular season. We went into this game expecting to come out as the #2 seed but the Kansas City Coyotes decided they weren’t going to end their season with a whimper and came up clutch with a 35-32 victory over the Pythons. That meant if we could beat the Grey Ducks, we’d take home field advantage into the playoffs, an advantage we’d never turn down. Pete continued his excellent late season form, amassing 125 all purpose yards, while Project struggled to move the ball on the ground against a Minnesota team that looked to have been set up to stop our run game. Rainbow Dash had himself another 100% game, including 3/3 FG’s, which would ultimately turn out to be crucial for us snatching the win. Sonjack and Miller both lit up the secondary with multiple PD’s each and 13 tackles between them, while Smart would register 4 tackles, 1 TFL , 1 sack, 2 forced fumbles and 1 fumble recovery in what would be his last game at the DE position for London. All in all, this was a solid performance and gave us the edge we would ultimately need in the playoffs.

Playoffs: Portland Pythons W 23-17

When I said we had taken notes, I meant it. We knew we had to show Portland something they weren’t expecting to beat them, so we switched it all up. We moved away from the smashmouth football they were expecting us to play on offense, in favour of a passing game. On defense, we left our trusty 4-3 and went with a 3-3-5 playbook, moving Glenn Smart from DE into an out-of-position linebacker role. Everything they expected us to do, we did the opposite and it really worked out, as we absolutely dominated possession of the ball to slow them down. I could sit here and list the stats of the class but the player that really won this game for us was Lucid Dreams. In one play Lucid got a strip sack, fumble recovery and then took it to the house. An unbelievable play that sent us straight to the Ultimini. Also, a massive shoutout to all the war room members that contributed to the discussion around the tactics for that game.

Ultimini: Tijuana Luchadores W 26-10

What can I say? We still couldn’t stop Lonnie Jackson. Thankfully, Project and Pete put on a bit of a clinic of their own with 201 all purpose yards between them, with Hulkenvettel supporting with 110 yards receiving. We once again held onto the ball for extended periods of time and won the turnover battle, with Mr INT himself CJ Sonjack closing the game and his London Royals career out with a pick on the Luchadores final drive in the dying seconds. It really couldn’t have gone much better and with many of the people on the roster already knowing it would be their last game for the Royals, it was great to be able to end it all on such a high note.

Summary

This class has, to date, managed to rack up 19 award nominations, 4 of which were winners and an MDM “win”, in addition to an Ultimini. A few have already progressed to being in the war room for their ISFL teams, as well as the London war room.

With most of the class now moving on and into the ISFL, it’s fair to say that the group as a whole have been a success. At the time of writing, of the 9 players drafted by London from the S28 class, 7 have reached the DSFL cap, remain active and will move onto the ISFL — if they haven’t already. The two that didn’t reach these milestones were inactive before week 1 of their first season. I believe this high conversion and retention rate is down to the culture of data driven decision making and education that has been established in London, while also being a great place to just chat to people. We may be known for our open locker room but behind those doors is an environment where everyone is available to answer questions and guide new users to make the best possible decisions for their players.

While Slatarn (@slate and @katarn22) are the current caretakers of the team and continue to develop and maintain this culture, it has really been built over generations of GM’s who have all believed in the philosophy and have added their mark to the team. @abh89, @"Maglubiyet", @Sylphreni, @Modern_Duke, @DeadlyPlayer and @Highhaschdi have all played key roles in building the fertile ground that we have all been cultivated in. The work that all of these users have put in over London’s short but successful history has helped develop some of the leagues best users and the ISFL will continue to reap the benefits of their labour for many seasons to come. #bangbangliongang

Code:
6526 words

RE: London Royals Class of S28: Road to the ISFL - BOOM™ - 05-30-2021

#royalsproud

RE: London Royals Class of S28: Road to the ISFL - Sylphreni - 05-31-2021

#bangbangliongang

Great article <3

RE: London Royals Class of S28: Road to the ISFL - King Jellyfish - 06-01-2021

Quick shoutout to our Ehrenmann GM´s!