International Simulation Football League
*An In depth look at the S31 Offensive Class (1.5x Media!) - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *An In depth look at the S31 Offensive Class (1.5x Media!) (/showthread.php?tid=33308)

*An In depth look at the S31 Offensive Class (1.5x Media!) - Vaelynn - 07-04-2021

QB Class

Only two current QBs are set for the S31 DSFL class, so there may be a brawl over them during the draft depending on what teams need one. The best part about these prospects is that they are both proven recreates, so you know you are getting a strong user. I would bet that both of these QBs are quickly snatched up, willing to place money on them both going in the Top 5, if not 1 and 2 overall.

(S31) - DeCarr Rek - QB

TPE: 83

DeCarr Rek is a native of Las Vegas, NV and any DSFL team that drafts him would not be gambling. His time at Fresno State was electric, managing to make even the lowliest of Wide Receiver groups look stellar, it’s clear he’s a favorite for a top pick in the S31 draft. DeCarr is a prototypical pocket passer and looks to excel with a strong passing game. I would say that his strength is the strong arm – he can sling that baby a country mile, even over them mountains. Under the helm of DeCarr Rek, the Fresno State Bulldogs went to two straight bowl appearances and picked up a much needed win in the Tostito’s Fiesta bowl last year. 

User Ismael8907, former S22 retiree Ismael Sanchez of the Colorado Yeti, looks to bring back his strong performances in Season 31.

(S31) - Malcolm Savage - QB

TPE: 81

Malcolm Savage looks to bring in some strong experience from Division II powerhouse North Dakota State University. North Dakota has brought many solid prospects to the professional leagues, most notable is Trey Lance who had a great career in the lesser NFL, Malcolm Savage looks to make a name for NDSU in the big leagues of the ISFL. A native of the Bloomington Minnesota area, and long time football fanatic, you know he’ll bring the work ethic to be successful long term. He’s a mobile QB, so look for a team with an Agile Offensive Line to pick him up early.

The user is MN_Moosey is a recreate and peaked at 1450 TPE as a Tight End / Defensive Tackle for the New York Silverbacks. ISFL teams (looking at New Orleans) that are looking at a regressing QB may be interested in a prospect like this down the line, and DSFL General Managers are salivating at a top earning QB early on.

Running Back Class

The Running Back class is pretty limited – looks like we have a few new users altogether, so I do not expect many teams to be dropping primo draft picks to land an RB early. Especially with the number of people that have attempted to create at the Running Back position, and the relative popularity of the position as a whole across the league, I am sure a number of these prospects will be asked to play a different role if at all possible. The running back position is a little undervalued, but I would only expect 2-3 of these players to be at their desired position by the start of the Season 30 DSFL season.

(S31) - Blake George - RB

Receiving Back Blake George out of Ohio State looks to lead the charge for the Running Backs. Number 27 lead the FBS in receiving yards for a running back, breaking the Ohio State tradition of power backs out of the backfield. His hands are feathery soft and supple, leading to many easy catches and shorter gains on drop passes and dump offs. His elusiveness is underrated, and I’d expect any DSFL team to be analyzing his capabilities at the Punt / Kick Return position as well as his abilities as a Running Back. His explosiveness proves to be an interesting component to his game, as the moment he touches the ball he’s off like a bullet towards the endzone. So many times this year at Ohio State, he would catch a pass in the backfield and get thirty yards down the field before anyone even noticed he was gone.

User Slowbe89 is new to the sim league, so it is tough to tell how he’ll end up in the long run. This reporter will be back with an insider scoop on his pre-draft interviews with DSFL scouts and GMs in the next few weeks.

(S31) - Walter Sanders - RB

TPE: 57

Another Sim Newbie and another Rookie Running Back in Walter Sanders puts a big question mark on the RB position for this S31 class. Running Back is a major impact position, so a new player brings a lot of “What If’s” to the conversation come draft time. The RB out of USC looks to leverage his speed and elusiveness to his advantage in the DSFL / ISFL. Word is his shuttle speed broke some records, and his 40 time damn near beat that of ISFL Rookie Phenom Remus Roman’s from just a few seasons ago. He was only able to put up 10 reps on the bench press, which was less impressive, but who needs strength if you never get touched? I look at it like a glass cannon scenario – expect him to make huge gains in the open field, but to lose yardage regularly if he is even touched in the backfield. I guarantee a team with big play aspirations will be looking to Sanders come draft day. With just a little more muscle, he could even transition into a full, three down back.

Another prospect that needs some interviewing before true draft analysis can take place. If user DoctorDookie can impress, I can see a few RB needy DSFL teams drafting him early.

(S31) - Deluxe Pogger - RB

TPE: 50

Two Running backs out of Ohio State in one draft class! That just goes to show how strong Ohio State is at paying…. I mean recruiting top high school talent. Deluxe Pogger is the lightening to Blake George’s…. Lightning. I mean there wasn’t really much of a Thunder in that backfield to be completely honest. But for both players being elusive and speedy, they really complimented each other well. Deluxe took the early down carries, typically bursting free for one or two long runs outside the tackles per game. George took the late down, longer distance plays – leveraging his strength in both pass protection and the passing game in general to buy time and be an outlet for the quarterback.

User Deluxe is also new to the Sim Leagues. This RB draft class could be a massive hit, or a huge let down based off of the long term productivity of these new users. Here’s to hoping for an injection of new life and talent to the RB position!

Wide Receiver Class
The Season 31 Wide Receiver class is huge, but does that mean strong Talent? We’ll dive into that in just a moment.

(S31) - Paul Monitor - WR

Paul Monitor hails from the Historically Black University Howard – one of many that come from the collection of HBCUs. Paul is a speed receiver that plays the deep ball as well as any ISFL receiver in the game today – he is raw on his route running, but with the right Head Coach and Wide Receiver Coach we could be looking at the next Randy Moss. One of the common criticisms of Monitor is the competition he faced – when you are looking at draft talent from known powerhouses like the Big 10, Big 12, ACC or SEC, how does Howard’s competition compare? Well the reality is Monitor just passes the eye test. With some of the best highlight catches I’ve ever seen, and some strong games to back it up (despite the talent disparity) I expect him to be drafted early.

User Hallmonitor_20 has been in the league and is a respected user. I’d anticipate him to be heavily weighted in the upcoming drafts, possibly even transitioning to a new position for the right team / environment.

(S31) - Jalen Hopkins - WR

Hailing from the Oklahoma Sooners, Wide Receiver Jalen Hopkins leverages immense speed to make separation. His agility on short routes and quick bursts of speed remind me of a young Rondale Moore – I’d anticipate him to have a similar impact in short catches resulting in big plays. His hands, at times, are a little suspect, but there is little doubt that once the ball is firmly tucked away he has some of the best breakaway speed that I have ever seen. Just get him the ball and let him do his work. His game against Oklahoma state was a real eye catcher for me, he dropped 171 yards on just 5 RECEPTIONS! For those of you math geeks out there, that equates to an average of 34.2 yards per catch. One of those receptions skewed the math a bit, as he did catch a 62 yard bomb to end the first half.

Despite User Cool Kid being new to the Sim, I’d expect a prospect like this to be eyed up highly. DSFL teams are always on the hunt for more Wide Receivers, and while it’s a gamble, I think it might be worth it for a talent like this.

(S31) - Thomas Hollands - WR

Finally, a strong slot receiver. Early draft analysts have compared him to a prime Julian Edelman, but I’m not sure I like that comparison. There is more of a finesse to Hollands’ game than Julian Edelman had – I’d compare him to a later career Larry Fitzgerald – outthinking the opposing cornerback rather than just beating him with speed or strength. A rare but enviable quality in a wide receiver. Hollands had a superb season for UCLA and decided to capitalize on his high draft stock to dive into the DSFL this year. His intelligence and poise will translate well to the big leagues, and I feel confident this will not be the last time you hear his name.

Another new user in Danieldbook, I think Thomas fits as a solid WR3 for a number of different teams. I can see him jumping in and making an early impact.

(S31) - Devin Boateng - WR

TPE: 50

I’m starting to feel really good about this year’s class – there is a huge injection of new users which will help to develop the league and insert new ideas. This player – Devin Boateng out of Michigan, is yet another prototypical Speed threat wide receiver. I think he may have the best hands of the three speed threats we have taken a look at so far, but what impressed me the most from his tape is his separation speed off of quick cuts. The head fake he made against Michigan State to get the go-ahead touchdown in the 4th quarter was a sight to behold. The CB dropped like a fly and Boateng was left with a perfectly thrown ball and an easy touchdown.

Another new user in Dev, but I anticipate a number of the new users to establish themselves quickly in the league.

(S31) - Eleven Kendrick-Wotts - WR

TPE: 57

Eleven Kendrick-Wotts, not to be confused with Eleven Kendrick-Watts, is a great draft prospect out of Northwestern. His physicality in the first five yards of the route sometimes makes me think that, with some size, he could have made an excellent Defensive End. His long route running could use some work, but short passing plays, slant routes, and goal to go situations are where Kendrick Wotts excels. Color me surprised if he isn’t the rookie leader in passing touchdowns come Season 30 in the DSFL.

User 124716, not to be confused with user 124715, is a great prospect. He was recruited into the league, and for the most part we see a different level of commitment from recruited players. Having a tie to the league helps a lot in getting acclimated.

(S31) - Dumais Wells - WR

Our first Possession Receiver, Dumais Wells comes from Oregon. Oregon is typically known in the college world as a big play university, focusing on high risk, high reward deep balls that often result in interceptions, but even more often result in big plays and touchdowns. Wells has strong catching ability – easily the best hands of all of the available Wide Receivers, he’s a surefire bet to succeed as long as he can make separation. His biggest downside is his lack of top end speed, but he makes up for it in his contested catch percentage and general game knowledge. I was disappointed to see some of his routes not resulting in much separation, but I think that with some tighter, professional route running, a coach can clean that up real quick.

User Sopath comes into the league blank and with no reputation. He could be a big hit or a big whiff, but are you willing to risk it?

(S31) - Kotoni Staggs - WR

TPE: 96

In what I would call the most draft ready wide receiver, Kotoni Staggs out of the University of Georgia stands as a likeable early first round draft prospect. While Kotoni’s on field prowess is easy to see, it’s the off field leadership and presence that really cements them as a top prospect for Season 31. I was most impressed by the Head Coach’s comments on Staggs – the thing that they’d be missing the most was not the on field production, but the way Staggs worked to uplift teammates and make sure everyone was prepared to win.

Kotoni Staggs is another Slot Reciever and right now possesses the most TPE of any Wide Receiver in the class. This has to set him above the other users for the time being, despite user .emfaith also being new. Additionally we are looking at another referred user, which is typically weighted pretty heavy in the draft process.

Tight End Class

Since this is my first time taking a look at ISFL / DSFL prospects, I’ll have to admit that I was blown away at the number of Tight Ends that created! Tight End has historically been a no glory, underappreciated position in the history of the game. I am glad to see so many new faces be interested in this position. That being said, I expect a number of these prospects to be transitioned to new positions. The likelihood that all of these players will be needed at the tight end position is very low.

(S31) - Mark Goodhead - TE

Word is that the University of Birmingham is retiring its first jersey at the end of this season – that’s right, Mark Goodhead’s #14 jersey will never be worn again in the Birmingham stadium. “The University of Birmingham has a football team?” you ask, well after a brief look into the team it looks like they have a club intermural team. This may be the first ever non-NCAA drafted college player ever. I have seen walk ons and I have seen impressive Division III players have success, but this will be the first time I have ever seen someone as highly touted as Goodhead is from a CLUB PROGRAM. Literally will talk about this for generations. While I understand he may ultimately be a bust, I will most definitely be rooting for him to find success here in the ISFL.

User CptGoosar is a referred user, so I expect him to be looked at a little differently than most other Tight End prospects. We may be looking at an early first rounder for a CLUB PROGRAM TIGHT END. Crazy times.

(S31) - cat dog - TE

cat dog is truly the two headed monster that is his (or her?) namesake. cat dog is a fantastic vertical threat that can be played in the slot or even out wide, and at the same time represents a formidable blocking threat in the running game. cat dog is another first (some real weirdos in the tight end class) that comes from the first extra terrestrial university in the University of Mars. I know they lost their most recent loss in the Sugar Bowl was brutal, but I attribute it to the change in time zones and gravity. When you are used to almost no gravity whatsoever, it’s pretty understandable to come out sluggish in the first quarter. I think with some exposure to earth’s gravity and the abundance of oxygen, we can look to see cat dog excel in the ISFL.

User mit416 is new to the sim league experience, so another toss up for long term viability, but I will say that I truly enjoy the character avatar.

(S31) - Donkey Johnson - TE

The unfortunately named Donkey Johnson is another top prospect at the tight end position. His skills in the possession game are unparalleled, and I feel he is going to make a quick impact on whatever team he is drafted to. Sure, he’s not an exciting pick like the previous two Tight Ends we have covered, but I feel strongly that he offers something different. Unlike cat dog, Johnson lines up almost exclusively on the line, but his verticality is still impressive. His draft comparison is most like Rob Gronkowski, a lumbering, heavy, but deceptively fast catching machine that will grab hold of anything within 10 feet of him and hold on like his life depends on it. That will go a long way in a league like this.

Aptly named user Donkey looks to make a splash in his first ISFL sim experience.

(S31) - Gluteus Maximus - TE

Word is that Gluteus Maximus’ dad named him after his favorite muscle on the body. He truly was an ass man (R.I.P. Maximus Sr.). One of the first prospects to come out of the Euroleague, he proved his worth in the long run for his catching ability. He’s not fast, his not particularly strong, but he’s always in the right place when you need him to be. Leading The Collosseum (That’s how he spelled it, not me, but English is a second language for him so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt) to its first Euroleague championship, earning himself a Finals MVP along the way.

User Jerms is another referral, so expect an early pick to be used for this candidate.

S31) - Anthony MacGuire - TE

TPE: 63

Finally, a normal draft pick that doesn’t have something weird about him. MacGuire is a Division II graduate from University of Massachusetts, Amherst who hit his growth spurt late, resulting in pretty low recruitment. I think that MacGuire possesses all of the intangibles for a Tight End – fantastic speed, great natural blocking skills, great route running, and fantastic hands (both in the blocking game and as a receiver). What he needs is some high level coaching. Will he be able to handle the schemes and the level of talent from the ISFL? Only time will tell. What I can say is that, if you have a second round pick to drop on a project tight end, it most definitely won’t be wasted here.

User Pythonic appears to be hitting the ground running, already claiming some TPE and establishing himself ahead of the DSFL draft. Lets see how the interviews go!

Offensive Line Class

The Offensive Line class is not what I would consider “stacked,” but it does have a few good options for those teams that are eager to fill gaps in the trenches. Not traditionally a “glory” position, I’m impressed by the number of new users that have elected to jump in and start their careers in this area.

(S31) - French Fries - OL

The aptly named French Fries is an astonishing prospect with regards to raw power. His mauler type lines up with most run first schemes, and his comparisons pre-draft (Orlando Brown, Kelechi Osemele) are great indicators for the potential that he has for success in the ISFL. Standing at 6’7”, Fries hails from Bordeaux, France where he went to the European University of Castelnau. Historically speaking, the French have done just about everything they can to avoid the trenches in any respect, so to see a Frenchman attempt to make a career of it is remarkable.

User sonaclov was recruited by someone in the league already, so I feel like, despite his lack of TPE generation so far, he could be a good long-term earner.

(S31) - Michael Carimi - OL

Michael Carimi is looking to be the highest rated and drafted player out of Western Illinois University since Leroy Jackson was the 11th overall pick in 1960 to the Cleveland Browns. Michael will look to bring his balanced play style to any team, filling much needed holes on either the interior or the exterior of the offensive line. His best attribute by far is his versatility – correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t believe I have ever seen a lineman switch positions to pass protect against the opposing team’s best pass rusher. Going through tape, I saw him line up 3 times as a left end, 2 times in the right end 4 times at left guard, 3 times at right guard, and 1 time at the center position (there was a poor snap included in this game, but with some practice, Carimi could still slot in in the middle). I do not know if there has ever been a prospect quite like this. Some will say the competition wasn’t great, but you only play who they give you, and Carimi played well each time.

User Leahterneckmike is likely to be high on the draft boards as a former DSFL General Manager (Tonzy) was actually the one to refer him. I imagine that will be weighted pretty heavily in the pre-draft process, and I will be looking early on to see Michael Carimi be taken off the board.

(S31) - Wendell Sailor - OL

TPE: 90

The Aussie Wendell Sailor is the next of our Offensive Line class to be reviewed. He is one of the few that skipped college altogether to join the NFL, gaining most of his reputation from playing early career Rugby overseas. His intangibles (stands at 6’8”, 360 pounds) are outstanding. I’ve never seen someone quite this huge be as athletic as he seems to be. One concern is that Sailor’s passions are actually still in Rugby, but the money is here in the ISFL. While I can understand that being a hesitation for some teams, I had a chance to catch up with Wendell at this year’s combine. He looked like a kid in a candy shop, almost enthralled by the whole process. Frankly, after speaking with him myself, I think there are people who have had more exposure to the sport with less passion than Sailor brings to the table.

Wendell Sailor comes into the ISFL with a good amount of TPE already generated, and he was recruited by long time ISFLer Simo. I think we are looking at another early drafted candidate.

(S31) - Beniri T'Chawama - OL

TPE: 94

Beniri T’Chawama is definitely a mouthful. With how much trouble WhatAmUs and the rest of the announcers have with even the most basic of names, be on the look out for this name to get butchered in the upcoming Prospect Bowl. Very little is known about T’Chawama, as he hails from a small country and an even smaller city in Moroni, Comoros which I am told is an Archipelago on the eastern side of Africa, almost in between Tanzania, Mozambique, and Madagascar. All I can say is that our DSFL / ISFL scouts are impressive. To put it bluntly, T’Chawama is a physical freak of nature. His bench press broke the standing record for the combine – breaking the record of 49 reps set by Stephen Paea in 2011. He put up 53 reps! Absolutely insane. He is incredibly raw, but if he has the ability to grasp the complexities of professional sim league offensive line schemes, he may just be an absolute steal.

User Dextaria comes into the league with another first time user in Pythonic, which will definitely help keep him motivated for TPE generation. Draft quickly DSFL GMs.

(4020 words)

RE: An In depth look at the S31 Offensive Class (1.5x Media!) - Thor - 07-04-2021

In depth but no Ken Oath smh my head

RE: An In depth look at the S31 Offensive Class (1.5x Media!) - Net - 07-04-2021

Jaycee Higgins flew into the Bermuda lol

RE: *An In depth look at the S31 Offensive Class (1.5x Media!) - Ismael8907 - 07-05-2021

Amazing writeup!