International Simulation Football League
*Starboy Reviews "Jack and Jill" - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Starboy Reviews "Jack and Jill" (/showthread.php?tid=33829)

*Starboy Reviews "Jack and Jill" - Starboy - 07-18-2021

Ah Adam Sandler…I grew up with plenty of some of his most beloved movies and during a time where Sandler was seen as a genuinely funny guy. Fart jokes were the best of the best and VHS movies were all the rage. As a kid, you cherish those sort of basic things where you watch a movie and it has fun, simple jokes that you can quote later with your friends or siblings that make you seem like the funniest kid around. Sandler made movies that were the best at both those simple jokes as well as something that seemed just a bit risqué about watching them since he always this average looking guy with some hot woman trying to get with him. Plus, who didn’t want to end up like Longfellow Deeds who randomly became a billionaire and a Hawaiian Punch fountain in their bedroom? Either way, all of those joys melted away when Zayn told me what movie he wanted me to review for his charity donation. I was reminded of the movie that made me break off those fond memories of Adam Sandler in my childhood to now…this. As a Sandler fan, let me try to do my best with this review of…Jack and Jill

The Plot

So the plot of Jack and Jill is pretty easy to gather up and explain, but that is the same with every comedy movie. There aren’t a lot of twists and turns and there doesn’t need to be when your goal is to entertain an audience with comedic stars. Jack and Jill keeps its plot simple as well: Adam Sandler is having his sister, also played by Adam Sandler, over for Thanksgiving and hijinks ensue. The driving force of this movie is the typical Adam Sandler type plots where stuff that he does usually causes confusion with other characters, he makes deals he can’t keep, and ultimately it blows up in his face in the end where he makes up to the characters he has wronged and they end on a happy note. When Jill arrives to Jack’s house, she tries her best to fit in with the family but in bizarre ways that get put on all Sandler movie characters where his two kids love Jill and want her to stay for as long as possible. They ride jet skis in the pool, hang out with Jack’s landscaper, and the ultimate driving force of the plot is meeting Al Pacino, trust me…you are not prepared for the stuff that happens in this movie with Al Pacino…this is a bigger disgrace to Al than the disguise Dana Carvey used in Master of Disguise. The story from Jill does seem like very average story telling though and it all at least is believable. It’s played up for laughs that Adam Sandler is in drag so at least they do actually have fun with that idea through the story.

For Jack, and the actual movie, he works for an advertisement company that helps products with getting their ideas and new things out to customers. Speaking from experience, companies will go as far as possible to do this and I only worked on the retail side of advertisement for a few months so I can relate to the stress of having to advertise and deal with Adam Sandler constantly in your ear. The big deal that comes to Jack is that Dunkin’ Donuts has somehow managed to talk to Al Pacino to do a commercial and Jack has to call Al in order to make sure he will do this commercial which results in the actual ‘movie’. It pains me to actually refer to this as a movie at times, but as stated before…I do like Adam Sandler, but this is torture. Either way, Jack has to take Jill to a Lakers-Kings basketball game with him in order to try and secure the commercial deal with Al who finds himself immediately attracted to Jill which is shown through a hot dog he orders along with his number written in ketchup, a truly amazing use of glizzy flirting unlike anything cinema has seen.

Unfortunately for Al Pacino, Jill ends up feeling not so interested in Al despite their Bronx connection and some intense wood handling at Al’s place. Jill ends up spending more time with Jack’s landscaper who shows her that she can have fun and be herself without issue in a full family get together that brings out all of the Sandler slapstick as Jill becomes a super athlete, pushes people over, eats a lot of food, hits an old lady with a pinata stick, and even ends the night with a fart joke. Even though Al was turned down by Jill, he won’t let up and promises Jack that if he gets to see Jill again then he will do the Dunkin’ commercial. The problem? Jack has felt he extended Jill’s stay with the family too long and doesn’t want to ruin his cruise by having Jill there. Instead he begrudgingly decides to let Jill come on the cruise for another classic Sandler moment of his genius movie brain where he gets him and his friends free vacations for movies. Stellar move comes quickly to a halt as Al Pacino promises that he will be at the ship to pick Jill up for another date but Jill tells Jack that he better not be using this cruise as a way to set Jill and Al Pacino together. So, bear with me, Jack has to go in drag and pretend to be Jill on a secret date with Al Pacino. Sit with that idea for a moment: Adam Sandler, who is playing both sets of twins in regular dress and cross dressed, is now double cross dressing so he can go on a date with Al Pacino for a Dunkin’ Donuts commercial…

The entire date ends up being Jack trying to act like Jill but messes up a few times without Al recognizing what was happening. However, Jill finds out and obviously is upset with Jack, runs back home to New York and Jack follows in order to apologize for behaving like a jerk to his sister. They apologize and make up before the greatest scene in cinema history happens: THE Dunkaccino Commercial which I can admittedly say I unironically love that scene. It is pure gold from start to finish and I probably watch it at least once a month. It made the entire movie worth it.

The Characters

So, the characters are all pretty much bad. Adam Sandler is a fantastic guy and I love him, but Jack plays like someone that hates Sandler movies while Jill plays like every Sandler comedy movie put into one. While it makes for an interesting dynamic, I doubt anyone was expecting some high class level acting here. Al Pacino essentially plays himself as well as any other famous actor in the movie outside of Katie Holmes. God bless Katie Holmes who probably had flashbacks to being with Tom Cruise in this movie but replace the Scientology with Sanldertology instead.

The best surprise characters have to be David Spade, Jonathan Loughran, and Peter Dante. If you were able to watch normal movies from the late-1990s and early 2000s, then you probably won’t recognize these actors’ connections to Sandler outside of Spade, who dresses in drag for this movie. That was the biggest surprise for me since I was on the lookout for the typical Sandler group and only one managed to make it. Anyway, Loughran and Dante played two of Bobby Boucher’s teammates in Waterboy who bully him originally when they first meet. What do they do in this movie? Bully Adam Sandler in drag so at least they had fun bringing that back. I’m sure they all had fun at least with being in the movie and an easy movie to film is not something I would shy away from either.

Closing Thoughts

Well, this movie was probably the one I dreaded to watch the most out of all of the charity submissions. Yes even more so than Justin Bieber’s documentary. With that movie, I was able to sort of set aside my previously young bias that I had against pop music of the time and really take a fun look back at the past. With Jack and Jill, I couldn’t have that sort of fun as I questioned what I was getting myself into. It was raining during the movie and it would pick up gradually the more I watched so it seemed that even the weather wanted me to end the suffering caused by this. I would personally rate this movie a 2/10 since there were a couple times that I did laugh, but I couldn’t honestly tell you if it was from horror or actually being entertained (The Dunkaccino Scene is a 10/10, obviously). If you want a palette cleanser involving Adam Sandler, I recommend either going back in time for something like Happy Gilmore or even trying Uncut Gems which are both Sandler as his best. Thank you for reading another review…but I need to avoid Sandler for a while now.

And yes, for your viewing pleasure: The Dunkaccino Commercial

RE: Starboy Reviews "Jack and Jill" - Pat - 07-18-2021

Of course Zayn asks you to review this hahaha.

Sidebar: these reviews you do are REALLY good. I love reading them.

RE: Starboy Reviews "Jack and Jill" - zaynzk - 07-18-2021

Money well spent

RE: Starboy Reviews "Jack and Jill" - OrbitingDeath - 07-19-2021

Lol, putting him through horror Zayn Big Grin