International Simulation Football League
*A Post-Draft Interview with Spike Daniels - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *A Post-Draft Interview with Spike Daniels (/showthread.php?tid=34808)

*A Post-Draft Interview with Spike Daniels - g2019 - 09-05-2021

Following the thrilling presentation of the recent ISFL draft (kudos to all involved, by the way!), I was lucky enough to sit down with my Norfolk teammate, now Sailfish safety, and all-around great guy, Spike Daniels to get his thoughts on the draft and his future. Enjoy!

Sconnie: So Spike, here you sit, officially a 1st round draft pick, going 14th overall to the defending Ultimus Bowl winning Sarasota Sailfish. Describe how it feels and tell us what it means to you.

Spike: Oh man, I’ve hardly slept I’m so hyped up! Words kinda fail me, I just couldn’t believe it. Watching the first round felt kinda weird because I thought I might actually go a little earlier, but Sarasota is what I wanted.  I was getting excited about going to Yellowknife or Austin, I really thought it would be one of them! So it was like, “Am I disappointed? No, no, wait, we want this!”

I about lost my mind when the Sarasota pick came in. It was like excitement and happiness and relief all at once.

I wasn’t able to watch the DSFL draft live when Norfolk picked me, so this was a new experience!

I let my agent get the word out that I wanted to be in Sarasota if I could but I truly did not think it was going to happen.

I’m thrilled. And afterward they told me I had been their top target since my interview with them, which always feels good to hear.

Sconnie: What a great emotional response! Tell us more about your talk with your new GMs and teammates when you became an official member of the Sailfish!

Spike: Well everyone was great, I got such a warm welcome from pretty much the entire locker room I think. The highlight was meeting Cuco though, I got pretty starstruck! He’s a player I’ve looked up to for a long time, and he was so nice! I’m really looking forward to learning from him. And I’m impressed with the leadership team, they were great during scouting and when we talked after the draft I felt like they really have a vision and a plan to keep Sarasota as Ultimus contenders for a long time.

Sconnie: They certainly have a solid group down there in Sarasota. Spike, I know you put out some media just prior to the draft about wanting to go to Sarasota. Can you explain what made them your top destination?

Spike: Well, I had great interviews with several teams, but Sarasota was where I felt the strongest connection. And the opportunity just felt perfect; they have two safeties who are fantastic players later in their careers, and I really wanted the chance to learn as much as I could from them and pick up where they left off when the time comes.

Sarasota felt like the place where I could become the best possible version of myself as a player.

I was nervous about putting the information out there though, I didn’t want to put off other interested teams. But my agent and some other people I trust persuaded me, and I guess it worked out!

Sconnie: Certainly a bit of a bold move, and I'm so glad it paid off for you! I'm sure they loved to see that. Did you have any talks with your GMs about a call-up timeline and when you might be called up to the big leagues?

Spike: Well, I love Norfolk, I’m not in a rush to leave. We had a truly special rookie class come in this season and I think now that we’ve all had a year getting acclimated, Season 31 feels like it’s going to be special for the Seawolves. I told every team who asked that I needed at least one more season in the D, both because I personally would like the additional time to improve, but also because I want to be a part of this next Norfolk season, I truly believe it’s going to be something incredible.

And Sarasota’s starters have earned the right to decide for themselves when they’re ready to step aside. I’m not here to push them out, I’m in a fantastic place with the Seawolves and I’m happy to wait my turn. But after S31 anything goes, it depends on what the front office feels the Fishes need.

Sconnie: Norfolk certainly seems due some success this coming season! Any predictions for Norfolk or Sarasota in this season?

Spike: Championships. I mean I kinda have to say that, right? Sarasota is set up to repeat, and I meant what I said about Norfolk’s Season 31 being special. We’ve got an amazing group of 2nd-year players, and  I’m sure we’ll bring in another stellar rookie class, so it’s a young and hungry group. And I’m sure a lot of these players will be called up after S31; we all wanted to come back for one great shot at winning an Ultimini together. I’m not calling it a prediction, but the attitude is definitely championship or bust for the Seawolves this year.

Sconnie: Thank you so much for your time, and we can't wait to see what you'll do on the field during this upcoming season!

(871 words)

Payouts
@Michiganonymous 60%
@g2019 40%

RE: A Post-Draft Interview with Spike Daniels - Net - 09-05-2021

Spike!!!!!! Congrats buddy

RE: A Post-Draft Interview with Spike Daniels - Michiganonymous - 09-05-2021

(09-05-2021, 09:45 AM)Net Wrote: Spike!!!!!! Congrats buddy

Thanks dude!