International Simulation Football League
*Off Season Interview Series - Honolulu - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Off Season Interview Series - Honolulu (/showthread.php?tid=34928)

*Off Season Interview Series - Honolulu - Beck - 09-07-2021

(50% @MMFLEX | 50% @"Gbeck765")

Thanks everyone for joining in on the newest episode in my off season interview series with the Honolulu Hahalua 's. I am proud to announce that my this guest is a big one. None other than the new co General Manager mmflex! Flex I appreciate you taking the time today to talk with me today. Let's go ahead and start with the recent announcement of you becoming co general Manager. You've shot up the ranks after your rookie season. Was this something you hoped for or thought would happen this fast?

MMFLEX :
I never for a second thought it would happen this fast, and truthfully, it wasn't anything I had on my radar when I first joined. I was already in 3 sim leagues at the time and heavily involved in 2 of them with 2 GM duties already as well as simming and board of directors. I really just planned on joining this league to fly under the radar and not get involved with jobs. It was about a week after I joined that I really started to fall in love with what was being offered here and the TPE whore in me came out. I was writing media, making graphics, recording podcasts, and began looking to get involved with jobs. Being a GM has been my favorite job in other leagues so I knew I wanted to get involved with that and being in different war rooms really kind of fed that craving. I just figured being a newer face to this community would have required me to wait for a GM job. Very thankful for the opportunity and excited to work with and for this team.

Gbeck765:
That is a really neat back story there that you have. I know all of us are excited to see all the positive things you are going to bring to our team in Honolulu. It's not every day that you hear of someone becoming a general manager within one or two seasons on here. You are the cream of the crop that is for sure. This is the first sim player I have ever done and think it is cool that we were able to start on the same team together in Norfolk and now get drafted together in Honolulu. I remember telling my buddy Ice Bear that I did not know what round you would get drafted but that You were awesome. He pretended to not know who you were so I wouldn't know about their interest in you but after the draft laughed about it cause you for picked by them so early. Let's talk some about Norfolk before getting into Honolulu. I really enjoyed my time there a lot and think the future is super bright there. What are your thoughts on your time there, and is there anything that sticks out as a fun time or example of how their locker room is?
Also did you have any idea you'd be selected as high as you were?

MMFLEX :
I'm super excited to have been drafted to Honolulu with you as well. I think the excitement compounds a little bit when you get to know someone in the DSFL and then on draft night you see your boys on the same squad again! But Norfolk was an incredible experience. Locker room atmospheres definitely are a huge part of what I enjoy I sim leagues and they have the best atmosphere in the league. The people are what makes it fun and seeing all the people getting hype in there even when we're only winning 2 games... How can you not get excited too? Norfolk absolutely nailed their S30 draft and they are going to be so fun to watch the next few seasons. I'm glad to still be a part of the environment there. As far as being drafted high goes, that was definitely my goal. Truly, the only goal I had for this player was to go first overall, but with the subpar scouting and overall conversation with Baltimore it was writing on the wall that they wouldn't pick me. My only chance at first overall was if someone moved up for me, which I actually thought Chicago would do since I've known Bayley for a long time and they had a lot of moveable assets. I knew most of the Honolulu war room at the time as well so if I didn't go number one I was 90% sure I would end up in Honolulu.

Gbeck765
Yeah you are absolutely right, the people do make this fun and Norfolk is absolutely at the top when it comes to team atmosphere in the dsfl. Negs does a great job at leading and keeping things pretty fun there. Watching the draft last night Norfolk had 4 first rounders. It is so funny that while they have not had team success due to call ups, Norfolk has a lot of high draft picks pretty consistnetly. That's awesome getting drafted that high and having a pretty Good idea on where you may get picked. I was so new to all of this that at one point I was nervous I would go undrafted lol. I truly had no idea how any of it worked or where I would get picked but I did not think it would be Honolulu. Ice Bear and I are really good friends in real life and although my convo with sid went well, Ice bear really downplayed things well and threw me off. I would have guessed Chicago also picked me. I'm pumped to be in Honolulu though and everything we have going on. I really think we are building something special for the future. We are such a young team and have a big gap between us and some of the other teams in experience, but I think all the moves and picks we are making have us heading in the right direction for closing those gaps. Now that you are the co general manager, do you have any certain goals that you are shooting for? What would you say some of your goals for our team in the near future are?

MMFLEX :
I think it's every GM's goal to win a championship for their team. To me, however, championships are the product of building a culture that people want to be a part of. Building something that people are excited about and want to play for. That's my goal. That's certainly a goal that is needed now and would be carried on forever. As far as goals for team performance, I think we're on the right track and Atto, Sidd, and the War Room put us in a position to find success soon. We have a young and powerful offensive core and we have some young defensive stars paired with veterans. We're right on the cusp of doing some big things.

Gbeck765
That is a great goal to have, especially for a young team! I think there are very distinct positives and negatives with having a young team such as ours. From a leadership stand point where you are at, I feel one big positive is our team is like a big ball of clay. You along with other leadership can mold and establish the type of culture you think would result not only in winning, but player retention, attraction and just overall fun in the locker room. One of the downsides to having such a young team is that many players from outside teams may not be aware of the good things you have going. So for the time being, it puts us at a disadvantage somewhat when it comes to things such as free agency. When thinking of a good team culture, what are some things that go into that, or would you like to see?
Switching gears some - your player Miles had a pretty good season this year too. Do you have any goals that you would like to see happen or achieve with your sim player?

MMFLEX :
Good culture, to me, means inclusion and caring. I'd like to see us invest more into the person, care about them and what's important to them and their player. The inclusion part kind of goes hand in hand with caring, but I think including the team in team plans, current and long range, listen to what they have to say and let them feel comfortable offering their opinion. This isn't Sidd and Flex's team, it's all our team, and everyone has an equal voice. Talking about Miles, I literally do not have any goals. Stats and awards are nice, sure, but I take pride in being as flexible as possible for my teams. Especially now as GM, Miles is just a body to fill a hole as far as I'm concerned. I'll put other's in a position to be successful over Miles having success.

Gbeck765:
I think that is a type of culture everyone would absolutely love to be apart of. Hearing that makes me even more excited to be apart of this team and to see where we go in the future. I always ask everyone this question towards the end of interviews, and this time is no different. Is there anything you would like to add, or let the rest of the league, other teams, etc know before we sign off of here?

MMFLEX:
I do not necessarily have anything to add on my end. I am curious to know what goals you have as a user and for Sal. Are you interested in any particular jobs or responsibilities in the league?

Gbeck765:
Thank you for asking that, I do not think I have been asked that in quite a while. I normally do not do tons of media during the season so the offseason is the time when I try to load up on media and make enough money to carry me through the season. If my schedule begins to allow it, I would love to begin getting more involved with the league. It is always nice to have people like you who I can look at and be hopeful to kind of follow in their foot steps on maybe being a general manager one day.
From a player perspective, I do not have too many goals really. I would love to win the Ultimus I think that would be a lot of fun. My main goal is just to really be a positive person in our Honolulu locker room and try to help build us into contenders

MMFLEX:
You have certainly been that and am glad Sal is young because I know we'll have a great guy for a very long time.

Gbeck765:
Thank you Flex! And thank you for your time for this interview! I hope you have a good rest of your day!

MMFLEX:
Same bro!

1816 Words