International Simulation Football League
*From scouting till midseason - The season as a DSFL Rookie - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *From scouting till midseason - The season as a DSFL Rookie (/showthread.php?tid=35300)

*From scouting till midseason - The season as a DSFL Rookie - Trempale - 09-30-2021

The Draft
Not gonna lie, it came as a huge shock to me! I never would have thought that I’d go 3OA! My best bet was going to be 8OA to Minnesota because the GM and myself had a good connection during scouting and we still do, Shoutout @Painted!
After that it would have been either the Royals or Norfolk who I expected to pick me up.I had a good scouting conversation with NTG (BBB GM) as well but I thought they had bigger needs.

I flew in all of my family for the draft. I wanted them to be a part of this big moment of my life. You only get selected once in the DSFL draft! They arrived a couple days before the draft to get used to the timezone change. We stayed at my place in Nashville where I spent most of my time after college. I found a good coaching group and practiced with the other Tight Ends from the Tight End University. Shoutout to my boys!
On the day of the draft we all met up at my home and watched the draft together. We had a lot of fun during the draft. I wanted to watch the other picks after I was picked, so that I could find out who my new teammates were going to be. We were so hyped for every Bondi Pick. I guess it was because I was already picked and didn’t have to nervously look at my phone after every pick.
I think I slept even less compared to the evening before the draft. I couldn’t wait to go to Australia and meet my new teammates.

Preseason and Meeting my Team
One thing the Bondi Beach Buccaneers did really well was how they got the Rookies to Australia. They gathered us all up on the east coast, so that we could all take the same plane to get to Australia. It gave us a chance to lose our nerves and get to know each other!

The welcoming committee was already waiting at the club facilities and we got to know everyone right when we arrived. It felt like a big family that we now get to be a part of! They showed us around the facilities and we got to see our own locker. After that we all split into our position groups and went into town for Dinner.

The next day all of us rookies went into the facility and prepared our gear for the season. We got to pick our Numbers and obviously our sizes for the new season. Media day was right around the corner as well and we had to pose for a lot of pictures and do a lot of interviews.
I don’t think I was ever as tired as I was that evening. Bondi gave us rookies hotel rooms for a couple weeks to settle into. The club offered to help us find a flat for ourselves.

After a couple days the training camp started and we were all really hyped to finally play football again! Our Team was sadly very depleted because we had a lot of call ups that offseason. Our defense especially had to suffer. Our new QB was making a lot of progress every day. He made the switch from RB to QB and honestly you couldn’t notice that he was a RB last season! Our Rookie QB Bernd D. Brot was doing really well in Practice camp as well. He had a lot of scramble and rush drills, which were really fun for me because I got to pancake defenders!

The day before our first preseason game was probably my best day yet! I got voted Offensive Captain of the team. Which is such a big honor! I couldn’t believe it. But I had no time to celebrate, as it came with a lot of responsibilities and I was ready to take them on! Our first game of the preseason was awful. There is no other way to describe it. We played away from home against the Norfolk Seawolves and we lost 7 - 73. Yeah… not great!

Preseason Game 1 - Buccaneers 7 - 73 Seawolves
4 Receptions, 8 Targets, 27 Yards

Sadly we lost the second and third preseason game as well. We played against Dallas and Portland.

Preseason Game 2 - Birddogs 32 - 17 Buccaneers
3 Receptions, 13 Targets, 49 Yards, 4 Pancakes

Preseason Game 3 - Buccaneers 14 - 21 Pythons
4 Receptions, 8 Targets, 27 Yards, 1 Pancake

Game 4 of preseason was actually our first win! It felt so good to get a win and I immediately felt a lot of weight come off my shoulders. We were finally getting on the right track. We were hoping that we could use this win for our Season opener vs Norfolk.

Preseason Game 4 - Royals 7 - 19 Buccaneers
4 Receptions, 6 Targets, 41 Yards

Season opener
I tried to get to bed as early as possible, to account for my nerves. This was it, my first “real” DSFL game! We were facing a team that beat us 73-7 in preseason. So we had to show that, that was only a fluke. We wanted to show that we are better than a 73-7 loss. The game started off really bad for us, we were trailing 28-14 at half time. We fought back to a 28-21 in the third and it felt like we had momentum on our side! Sadly we didn’t get two 4th down conversions in the 4th Quarter. Which gave Norfolk very good field positions. In the end the score looked a lot worse than it actually was in my opinion. We fought well and it was a lot better than a 73-7.

Season Game 1 - Buccaneers 21 - 42 Seawolves
4 Receptions, 7 Targets, 32 Yards

One thing I didn’t mention yet was that we only had one really good Wide Receiver. So I was the only other passing option. Which made my role in the team lean more towards acting like a Wide receiver. I was happy with it either way. I love run blocking as much as catching Balls. So it was a win-win for me either way. Sadly our WR Tony Demonson was a bit of a drama queen. As I found out, he had beef with our RB Ken Oath last Season. This season this beef grew to be something more. Demonson was running wild and cussed Oath out in front of everyone. The head coach had only one option, remove Demonson from the locker room. It also didn’t help that Demonson talked to the Media the whole time and trashed Oath in the media.
So with all that drama I wasn’t able to really work together with Demonson and forge a good relationship with him. I’m sure he could have taught me a thing or two about route running. He is still playing for us but he is not allowed to get close to Oath. We can’t trade him because no other team would take him. He was stuck with us and we were stuck with him. Whichever way you want to see it.

Regularity setting in
We had a pretty bad start to the season and the fact that we had the most call ups in the whole League really showed but in Week 3 we pulled out a surprise! We beat the Portland Pythons! And it wasn’t even close! We beat them 45-20!

Season Game 2 - Dallas Birddogs 50 - 17 Buccaneers
4 Receptions, 8 Targets, 30 Yards

Season Game 3 - Buccaneers 45 - 20 Pythons
3 Receptions, 5 Targets, 30 Yards, 2 Pancakes

Sadly my main Problems were getting open and drops. As you can see in the games above I didn’t have more than 4 Receptions per game. Which is not enough in my opinion. I have to do a better job of getting open and actually catching the ball. The worst part is, I actually dropped a TD in one of the games. I felt awful after the game, because that TD could have turned the game around for us. I worked on my skills every chance I got. I eventually improved my speed by a lot! I’m not completely done yet but I hope that I can focus on my agility and Hands for now. Speed is not everything but it helps a lot!

We are now hours away from our game against Minnesota and I can’t wait to play the defending champions! The atmosphere in the City is electric! Everyone is waiting for this game! The Grey Ducks are “only” sitting at 3-3 but they are still a decent team and the back to back defending champion.

I will probably write again once we get close to the end of the season and the ISFL Draft. Can’t wait for that but the focus is on the current season. We gotta finish strong and max earn all the way through!

Until next time!

RE: From scouting till midseason - The season as a DSFL Rookie - teddyoojo - 09-30-2021

(09-30-2021, 09:49 AM)Trempale Wrote: Preseason and Meeting my Team
One thing the Bondi Beach Buccaneers did really well was how they got the Rookies to Australia. They gathered us all up on the east coast, so that we could all take the same plane to get to Australia. It gave us a chance to lose our nerves and get to know each other!

wtf, they told me to buy my own plane ticket and called me cunt Sad

RE: From scouting till midseason - The season as a DSFL Rookie - Trempale - 09-30-2021

(09-30-2021, 09:56 AM)teddyoojo Wrote:

Now that I think back it was only the rookies that got picked before the 7th round... 
How weird!

RE: From scouting till midseason - The season as a DSFL Rookie - NicholasTheGreat - 09-30-2021

(09-30-2021, 09:56 AM)teddyoojo Wrote:

Cunt

RE: From scouting till midseason - The season as a DSFL Rookie - Painted - 09-30-2021

Man that minn gm must be an idiot for thinking you would fall that far smh.

But seriously, you've been a great user and I'm happy you've enjoyed the league so far!! Keep at it and still can't wait to see you in the ISFL and WFC eventually! BBB got a real one.

RE: From scouting till midseason - The season as a DSFL Rookie - Trempale - 10-01-2021

(09-30-2021, 06:20 PM)Painted Wrote: Man that minn gm must be an idiot for thinking you would fall that far smh.

But seriously, you've been a great user and I'm happy you've enjoyed the league so far!! Keep at it and still can't wait to see you in the ISFL and WFC eventually! BBB got a real one.
 <3 Your Twitter life would be a lot less entertaining ^^