International Simulation Football League
*The SLF: Questions and Concerns - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *The SLF: Questions and Concerns (/showthread.php?tid=36008)

Pages: 1 2

*The SLF: Questions and Concerns - IsaStarcrossed - 11-04-2021

Hi, Isa here. Long time member of this league. Heck, maybe one of the oldest members remaining here at this point. I’ve kind of taken a back seat over the last year and stayed mostly out of league politics and out of the public eye because for the most part I was just tired and wanted to just sit back and enjoy the league again as a spectator. I think I’ve done that pretty well as I stick to mostly Colorado and Norfolk these days, but today something came to my attention that baffled me. Something that I thought needed to be addressed and talked about. Something that perhaps could have been asked behind closed doors, but I’ve been out of the media for a while and needed an excuse to write about things and maybe other people are going to start having the same question as things develop.

You see, recently I joined the SHL as a side project just to meet some new people and get some of that “new sim league” spark I’d been missing. It has been an overall pleasant experience, but it remains my second league because I love the ISFL. It's home. The people I love are here. The community I love is here. That said, talks began to pop up in my SHL locker room about a gaming tournament. A large, multi league gaming tournament where you could go in and sign up to play games as an individual or with a group and represent your favorite sim league and just have some good old silly fun.

As this began to be discussed, I started to get a little excited. I was thinking maybe I could participate or if I didn’t have time maybe watch like an ISFL League of Legends team compete against others. Cheer for my friends, cheer for my community, and just have fun while building camaraderie not only within my home league, but also with players of other leagues. It seemed like an incredible chance to reach out and have fun as an entire, conjoined sim league community. I was excited.

I wasn’t sure why it wasn’t really being discussed in ISFL, but I just figured maybe there would be an announcement or something later on about it. So I waited. And waited. Then today the signups were posted in my SHL locker room. I shake it off and go “heck it, I’ll just sign up through here, maybe ISFL just don’t have it together yet”. I start to sign up and when it asks me for my primary league I realized the harrowing truth. ISFL isn’t even included.

Every other sim league I can think of is included. Super Casual is included. The brand new basketball league? Included. Small leagues, large leagues. Everyone seems to be involved except for the ISFL. The community I wanted to represent, that I wanted to cheer for. So I did some digging and found out that this event is being sponsored by something called the SLF. It's an entire joint sim league community where people from all sim leagues can come together and chat and hang out and generally interact with each other. Of all the leagues it seems the ISFL elected to NOT be a part of this community and now I have to ask the most obvious of questions..

Why?

There is no justification that makes sense to me that would lead to this league refusing to be a part of a larger community. Especially when there are so many multi league members already in the ISFL. Chances are they’re already a part of the community or are at least aware of it. This is something that could open up opportunities for this league. There are recruitment opportunities, chances to build league camaraderie, even something like this tournament could be absolutely massive for us as a community. A chance for us to all have some good, wreckless fun.

We would have had something to talk about as a league, people to cheer for, something to be involved with. We would have been able to meet new people, get involved at a larger level, and maybe inject some energy into the league at large. Like even if we as a league sucked at every event, we could have a good time and laugh about it as a community. I feel like this is a massively blown opportunity by whoever it was that decided we shouldn’t be involved.

It's no secret that activity is down in this league. Fewer and fewer people are recreating, more and more people are going IA, and draft classes are getting smaller. I’ve been keeping up with the numbers myself. Decisions like this, decisions that alienate us from other leagues and isolate us from the sim league community at large are part of what is leading us down this path. I guess I’ll just have to look towards the SHL and perhaps elect to represent them in events like this as I slowly become less and less attached to a place I once loved.

RE: The SFL: Questions and Concerns - Pat - 11-04-2021

What's the SFL?

RE: The SFL: Questions and Concerns - ReverendOReily - 11-04-2021

A mega general server for sim leaguers of all sorts to hang out?

Kinda seems like how I'd imagine dumping radioactive waste onto gen chat would turn out.

RE: The SFL: Questions and Concerns - Frostbite - 11-04-2021

Cool but look at my new signature

RE: The SFL: Questions and Concerns - Jiggly_333 - 11-04-2021

(11-04-2021, 08:55 AM)ReverendOReily Wrote: A mega general server for sim leaguers of all sorts to hang out?

Kinda seems like how I'd imagine dumping radioactive waste onto gen chat would turn out.
Honestly, that chat is silent right now. Except for waving peaches and the lad @AdamS talking about pants.

RE: The SFL: Questions and Concerns - zaynzk - 11-04-2021

(11-04-2021, 09:02 AM)Frostbite Wrote: Cool but look at my new signature
it do be clean

RE: The SFL: Questions and Concerns - Sebster - 11-04-2021

it's not loading can u dm it to me

RE: The SFL: Questions and Concerns - ReverendOReily - 11-04-2021

takes up more than an entire monitor, clean af but kind of inconsiderate, you'll be receiving your forum suspension paperwork by DM shortly

RE: The SFL: Questions and Concerns - Sebster - 11-04-2021

(11-04-2021, 09:44 AM)Sebster Wrote:
it's not loading can u dm it to me
@Frostbite ty thats a pretty sicko mode sig u got there

RE: The SFL: Questions and Concerns - platanocat - 11-04-2021

If you want to play just play and invite isfl people anyways