International Simulation Football League
*NSFC Championship Preview Part 1 of 2 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *NSFC Championship Preview Part 1 of 2 (/showthread.php?tid=3661)

Pages: 1 2

*NSFC Championship Preview Part 1 of 2 - iamslm22 - 08-25-2017

There's still one week left in the regular season of the NSFL, but the playoff match ups are already set. We will get to the ASFC championship game for the Solis trophy between the Orange County Otters and Arizona Outlaws later. Today we are focusing on the Yellowknife Wraiths traveling to Baltimore to face the Hawks. In the first part of this preview we will look at the offenses involved in the game. The teams have faced each other twice this season. The game in Yellowknife was a close one, with Baltimore falling 24-17. The Baltimore game was not close though. Baltimore whipped Yellowknife in week 7 37-19. But this article is not about the past, it is about the future, and figuring out who has the edge in the championship game. One important thing to note about that week 7 game is that Yellowknife has made two significant trades since that game, so they have improved their team, while Baltimore has lost a player to a suspension. Let's go position by position to see who has the edge for the game on the offensive side of the ball.

Quarterbacks

Both teams have had QBs with successful seasons. Scrub Kyubee is not a huge name in the league, but he was third in the league in yards, AND third in completion percentage. Kyubee threw for over 3,000 yards, however he did throw for more interceptions that TDs. On the other side of the ball Chris Orosz likely was the best QB this season. He lead the league in nearly every statistical category, leading in Yards Thrown for, Completion Percentage and finishing tied for second in Touchdowns. Orosz is a definite Pro Bowler this year and possibly MVP candidate. While Kyubee is no scrub, the Wraiths have the advantage here.
Advantage Wraiths

Running Back

The two starting Running Backs in this match up are two stars in the league. Veteran Bubba Nuck has had another good season, currently third in the league in rushing (though likely to be dropped down to fifth after this next weeks games. Nuck has more slightly more yards per carry (3.6 to 3.4) than Baltimore stud Darlane Farlane, however he has such less volume that the efficiency does not over take him. Meanwhile Farlane has clinched the rushing title this season, and should be the front runner for offensive rookie of the year. He's been a true work horse behind Baltimore's all rookie offensive line. Nuck's stats are close to Farlane, but considering the difference in the Offensive Lines there's no doubt Farlane has been more impressive this season.
Advantage Hawks

Wide Receiver / Tight End

On the offensive side of the ball this might be the biggest advantage. Orosz has had a great season, and he can at least partially thank his teammates for that. Josh Garden has been amazing again this season. The star wideout is likely to finish third in the league in yards, and is tied for second in TD receptions. He's one of the most dynamic players in the NSFL and Baltimore will have a hard time containing him. New addition Bailey Cook has also had a great season. Cook is top 10 in receptions, yards and touchdowns, and when paired up with Garden form the best one two punch of any receiving duo in the league. When talking about Yellowknife's passing attack you can't leave out the big boy Ricky Maddox. Maddox is third in the league in receptions, and leads all tight ends in both receptions and yards. When the Wraiths need a first down, he's the guy they turn to. On top of that Maddox is probably the best blocking tight end in the league leading Tight Ends in pancakes and allowing no sacks. The Hawks have one star receiver and two underrated guys, but can't match the star power of Yellowknife here. Obviously Carmel Gibson is no longer on the team, however Tight End Jesse Sanderson has been as good and is as good of a receiver as Gibson. Cooper Christmas is the number one wideout in Baltimore and is a likely Pro Bowler as he's 7th in yards and also has five Touchdowns this season. Matthew Vincent has been a fine number receiver, improving drastically as the season has gone on. He's tenth in yards but has found the end zone only once.
Advantage Wraiths

Offensive Line

Before going in to specific players looking at the overall offensive line stats it is CLEAR that Yellowknife is the best offensive line in the league. The team leads the league in pancakes and has allowed the least sacks allowed. In fact as far as sacks allowed they are nine ahead of second place AND second place has played one game less than the Wraiths. That makes them the Wraiths a no doubter for best line in the league. The Hawks are certainly no slouches however. Coming in to the year the Hawks were thought to have one of the worst lines in the league, however the stats have shown the Hawks are above average. Given that other teams have yet to play in week 14 its hard to say exactly where the Hawks will fall in the rankings, but right now are third in pancakes and three sacks behind second place.
Now on to the specific players. As touched on in my previous article the Wraiths have three top 10 offensive linemen, and in fact since that article the stats have gotten arguable even better for them. Mat Akselsen is the leader of the group, and is now tied for the league lead in pancakes while allowing only two sacks. Akselsen is making a very strong case for offensive lineman of the year. He's also joined by Matt James and Jogn Floggity as likely Pro Bowlers this season in the NSFC. And when looking to other two Pro Bowl spots it looks like we'll head to Baltimore (unless Philly offensive lineman Micah Hendrix has a very strong final game). It appears that the only teams that will have Pro Bowl offensive linemen in the NSFC are the Wraiths and the Hawks. Avon Blocksdale has the least amount of sacks allowed on the line, while Dieter Koch has the most pancakes. Brokk Lee has also not been a slouch, and it appears that depending on whether you prefer sacks allowed or pancakes in total these three will be battling it out for the other two Pro Bowl spots along side Hendrix.
Advantage Wraiths

Overall these are two strong offenses, but Yellowknife has the advantage here on that side of the ball. When it comes to defense Baltimore will have advantages but come back next time for that article. As always please leave thoughts and comments!

*NSFC Championship Preview Part 1 of 2 - kckolbe - 08-25-2017

The only thing I would have added was Damien West, who has over 700 yards as our #3 WR. He's the most productive WR3 in the league.

(08-25-2017, 08:11 AM)kckolbe Wrote:The only thing I would have added was Damien West, who has over 700 yards as our #3 WR.  He's the most productive WR3 in the league.

Yea that's true. The Wraiths air attack as been incredible this year. My bad for leaving West out.

(08-25-2017, 06:14 AM)iamslm22 Wrote:Yea that's true. The Wraiths air attack as been incredible this year. My bad for leaving West out.

No worries. It was a good write up. After you do the defensive comparison, are you going to do a matchup comparison? For example, BAL front seven vs YKW blockers? YKW front seven vs BAL blockers? WR vs CB, stuff like that?

Also, while YKW was beat HARD in the first match, that was before we got Cook and Hackett. So while you have home field advantage, I am expecting a much closer game. I'd say you guys have around a 65% chance of winning.

*NSFC Championship Preview Part 1 of 2 - HalfEatenOnionBagel - 08-25-2017

(08-25-2017, 07:50 AM)iamslm22 Wrote:Meanwhile Farlane has clinched the rushing title this season

Hold up, son, Omar Wright about to go Doug Martin on your ass haha. No, I really like Farlane (@Gwdaja) and despite what the detractors say, he's had an exceptional season, especially as a rookie!

Overall great preview, only one other glaring error, so definitely looking forward to the rest!

(08-25-2017, 08:20 AM)kckolbe Wrote:No worries.  It was a good write up.  After you do the defensive comparison, are you going to do a matchup comparison?  For example, BAL front seven vs YKW blockers?  YKW front seven vs BAL blockers?  WR vs CB, stuff like that?

Also, while YKW was beat HARD in the first match, that was before we got Cook and Hackett.  So while you have home field advantage, I am expecting a much closer game.  I'd say you guys have around a 65% chance of winning.

Im gonna see if I have the time. I'm gonna definitely do the defense and special teams. I'll probably do the matchups, I almost made this article about the matchups.

*NSFC Championship Preview Part 1 of 2 - SimmerDownBruhh - 08-25-2017

Appreciate the shout out, brotha!

I was just a tad short for leading all TEs in catches but that goes to George Wright Jr, my slow start screwed me up for getting that. Haha He got me 88-83.

Can't wait to see how this game turns out, I'm hyped for the matchup!!

*NSFC Championship Preview Part 1 of 2 - 124715 - 08-25-2017

(08-25-2017, 10:24 AM)SimmerDownBruhh Wrote:Appreciate the shout out, brotha!

I was just a tad short for leading all TEs in catches but that goes to George Wright Jr, my slow start screwed me up for getting that. Haha He got me 88-83.

Can't wait to see how this game turns out, I'm hyped for the matchup!!

71 yards for me tonight and you won't be leading in receiving yards, either!

Lol love you bb

*NSFC Championship Preview Part 1 of 2 - SimmerDownBruhh - 08-25-2017

(08-25-2017, 10:32 AM)124715 Wrote:71 yards for me tonight and you won't be leading in receiving yards, either!

Lol love you bb

Don't you take away my shot for Best TE, I'll never forgive you!!! :crybaby: Smile)

Lmaooo All love , brotha! And good luck tonight!

(08-25-2017, 07:32 AM)124715 Wrote:71 yards for me tonight and you won't be leading in receiving yards, either!

Lol love you bb

At the rate you've been going lately, it's definitely possible. Of course, you will be going up against some solid safeties this week, so not sure I'd bet for or against it.