International Simulation Football League
*Catching Up With Sama - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Catching Up With Sama (/showthread.php?tid=37255)

*Catching Up With Sama - LordEscanor - 01-20-2022

Well, well, well… if it isn’t Escanor Sama. You may be wondering where I’ve been. Chances are, probably not. I’ve been taking a break from talking to the media since reaching superstardom after our Dallas Ultimini Championship and spending more time focusing on myself, my team, and my family. But I’m back and ready to recap everything from my rookie season to where I am now. And some of you may be reading this and saying “Oh brother, another cash grab.” And to that, reader, I say “You’re goddamn right this is a cash grab, but that equipment doesn’t pay for itself now, does it?”
So without further ado, let’s take another infamous walk with yours truly, Escanor Sama.

Let’s start with my rookie season. This season was one hell of a ride. I came into this season as a true rookie. I was drafted by the Dallas Birddogs in the third round. I didn’t know much about the Dallas Birddogs, as I hadn’t really spoken much in their locker room and only spoke with Rev once. However, it was one of my favorite scouting experiences, so I was still excited after the draft.

After brief introductions in the locker room, I immediately got straight to TPE building help. The first input I got was that speed was the most important thing and that’s what practically everyone builds in the DSFL. I immediately knew I didn’t want to be like “practically everyone else.”  I spent the season building my stats to be an all around player. Little did I know that my build would end up becoming a meta for the upcoming WRs in a few seasons following.

In the preseason, the Dallas Birddogs didn’t make a lot of noise. We went 1-3. In one of our games, however, I did manage to post 3 TDs. There was definitely some excitement for what was to come.

In our season opener, we played the Tijuana Luchadores. We lost that game 22-20, and after that loss and the preseason woes, I was a tad nervous. After a few weeks however, we found ourselves sitting at 3-1, in second place behind Tijuana, who was 4-0.

I considered myself to be having a pretty decent rookie year throughout the first four games, averaging about 70 ypg as the WR2 on the team.

We lost our next game and dropped to 3-2, but in that game, I had flipped a switch and went into a different gear. That game started a nasty streak of being over 100 ypg, along with WR1 Ivan Toastovich.

We went on a 5 game winning streak right after that, along with Tijuana going on a 5 game skid. Dallas was sitting atop the throne, led by Ricky Stanzi, Ivan Toastovich and myself: Easily the most dynamic passing game in the league by miles.

Dallas clinched the #1 Seed and began to pump the brakes. We dropped week 11, week 13, and week 14.

At the end of the regular season, Ivan Toastovich finished as a top candidate for WRotY and I finished as a top candidate for ORotY. We both had very good cases for winning our respective awards.

Next, the Dallas Birddogs played the Norfolk Seawolves in the Conference Championship. I was confident, as we had beaten them both times in the regular season and I was sure we could do it once more. And we did just that. We snuck by Norfolk in Overtime with an immediate interception followed by a Field Goal to send us the Ultimini. This game is the game that I think of most when I reminisce. Not the Ultimini championship game, but that absolute slobberknocker of a Conference Championship.

Next, we faced the Kansas City Coyotes in the Ultimini, where each team won one game each in their regular season meetings. I was fully confident in our boys though. We pulled out a big win and were crowned the S31 Ultimini Champs. Life was good.

Awards season came and went. I was nominated for WRotY and ORotY. I was also a unanimous pick for the Pro Bowl. I was the clear cut 3rd best WR behind Toastovich and French Fries so I knew I wasn’t winning WRotY, but I was glad to be nominated. However, ORotY was a different story. I felt I should have won, and so did the hosts of the Awards Show. And yet, I did not. I’d be a liar if I said I was not upset. I very much was. But what can ya do it about, other than come back next season, better than before.

I got scouted by many teams in the ISFL. I believe only 2 teams didn’t scout me. Watching the expert mock drafts on ESPN, lots of people had me going second overall to the Baltimore Hawks. The problem with that was, the Hawks didn’t scout me. Personally, I felt a strong connection during scouting to the Philadelphia Liberty, and I was the only one to believe I was going there. Low and behold, draft day came and my name was called 6th overall to the Philadelphia Liberty. I was excited to be there and they were stoked to have me.

Over the rest of the offseason, the draft came and went. I helped scout the rookies of the upcoming draft, however I don’t think we picked up anyone I scouted. The biggest pickup was our new QB, Christian Marciano. The competitor in me was a bit disappointed, as I knew we were saying goodbye to Ricky Stanzi, but I knew with me at his side, Marciano would be in good hands.

Then, my second season began. This season was, from start to finish, a dumpster fire. Our defense became a ghost town because of call-ups, and it showed. I don’t even want to describe this season in great detail. Long story short, we finished 4-10, 3rd in the DSFL South. We did finish ahead of Bondi Beach, so it was good to know that some things never change.

I somehow lead the league in receiving yards, while also leading the league in catch rate percentage, WITH the highest target rate. It was nice to know that I went out in the DSFL as the face of my position group.

Near the end of the season, Dallas legend Madden announced that he was stepping down as GM. I didn’t intend to apply for the position, as I’m still young and figured there were much more suitable people for the position than myself. Laying in bed one night, however, I changed my mind and called up Madden. He appreciated me applying and said he’d let the Reverend know. A couple weeks later, it was announced that I had received the position as the new GM of the Dallas Birddogs. Hype. I know I have big shoes to fill, but I intend to do my best.

During the offseason, I was made a host of the Awards Show and DSFL Draft. At the awards show, I was a bit awkward, as it was my first hosting appearance and didn’t really know what to do. I did leave the show with some hardware, as I had won Wide Receiver of the Year. At the draft, I had the privilege of announcing all of the draft picks for my Dallas Birddogs.

Now, here in Season 33, we’ve got a bright future full of rookies down in Dallas hungry to win a championship and I’ll be damned if I don’t lead them to the promised land. Meanwhile, I’m also in Philadelphia as the newest receiver in the league and we’re gonna have some good seasons ahead of us.

So yeah, hopefully the next time I’m writing, I’m not catching you up on over 2 seasons of my life. Ciao for now.

-Escanor Sama