International Simulation Football League
*Reflection on DSFL Year - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Reflection on DSFL Year (/showthread.php?tid=37754)

*Reflection on DSFL Year - MobiausGrander - 02-20-2022

And with that, this concludes my DSFL season with the Dallas Birddogs. Even though, we did not make the playoffs, we had an all around improved season compared to before I entered the DSFL, at least compared to on defense. Before I joined the team, the Birddogs gave up a near league worst 29.4 points per game, gave up a near league worst 408.8 yards per game, a league worst 162 rushing yards per game, and a mediocre 246.8 passing yards per game. However, when I arrived for S33 of the DSFL, I made an immediate impact all around on the defense. With my disruption and size, I was able to help the team improve drastically on the defensive end relative to the league and to us last season. In S33, now the Birddogs gave up a decent league average of  23.1 points per game, gave up an improved total yardage average of 356.8 yards per game, a league worst but improved 131.1 rushing yards per game, and a league leading 225.6 passing yards per game. One would think that with such improved defensive statistics across the board that the Birddogs would have made the playoffs comfortably and tried to compete for a championship, right? Unfortunately, that did not come to be as the offense took an untimely step back. Last year, the team had one of the better offenses in the league and was able to be efficient. However, this season, the offense unfortunately fell back as the Birddogs averaged a league worst 21.1 points per game, only produced a near league worst 360.9 yards per game, and a league worst 227.2 passing yards per game. There was a bright spot as the Birddogs was the league leader in rushing as we averaged 133.7 rushing yards per game. All in all, this contributed to us missing the playoffs unfortunately.

However, in transition at looking at the schedule, I would be remiss if I did not discuss the pivotal games that led to us missing the playoffs that turned out to be close games that had unlucky outcomes for us. The first game that was pivotal that I would like to discuss is the Week 8 game against Tijuana. The game was arguably the lowest scoring game and most defensively sound game in the league as neither team was largely able to drive down the length of the field normally, needing both punters to help flip the field and play the field position game. Nonetheless, there was scoring; however, the critical drive would come after the Birddogs successfully forced back to back punts from Tia and then was able to go on a game tying drive with 2 minutes left in the game. After being held in check all game, we were able to methodically drive down the field in good chunk plays, punctuated with a 15+ yard play that allowed us to get into comfortable field goal range to easily tie the game up as a fall back if we couldn't score. However, disaster struck as the play was blown up and intercepted, ending the game and having a costly effect as if we won this game, it would have helped us jump into the playoff fray and kept Tia from getting too far in the standings as we see in the final standings.

The second of these games that ended up being pivotal in the grand scheme of the season is the Week 11 game against the Minnesota Grey Ducks of the opposite conference. This game, like the Tia game, was a defensive battle that lasted through the whole game. However, unlike the Tia game, both teams combined for at least 4 turnovers with both QBs being rattled greatly through pressure from both DLines. Going into the fourth quarter, we were up by 3 with 15 minutes left. However, Minnesota's offense came alive in this quarter and managed to drive down the field. Luckily, we were able to force them to a field goal, to take the lead 17-14. From the 8 minute mark on ward, both teams exchanged punts and did not have enough action. However, we had about 2 more possessions as we forced a fumble and forced a punt on back to back possessions on the Ducks. Unfortunately, as I stated before, our offense took a step back and ultimately was not able to get into field goal range to tie the game up and led to a turnover on downs, causing another devastating loss in our season, hurting our chances to make the playoffs.

The third of these games to be described was our Week 12 game against the bad Pythons where it led to the worst loss of the season, practically ending our playoff hopes as we needed to win out after this game; we lost this game 35-33 due to some unlucky plays. The high scoring nature of the game is relatively misleading as most of the scoring was all in the 4th quarter as both teams combined for nearly 40 points and with the Birddogs having to mount a huge comeback to win this game. The key moment that essentially doomed us in this game was the missed two point conversion at the 3:05 mark. For context, we were still down by a touchdown with about 3 minutes left and needed a huge play. We got that huge play by intercepting the QB of Portland. Unfortunately, we were not able to get the 2 point conversion, thus forcing us to try and get a punt in order to score a field goal to win the game. We did get that chance and were driving down the field; however, an untimely catch and forced fumble caused us to lose a game that essentially doomed our season as at that point we needed to win out to even have a chance of making the playoffs.

With the theme of being in danger of missing the playoffs, the final game of the season "officially" killed our playoff hopes and knocked us out of the playoffs. This game was the Week 13 penultimate game against the Kansas City Coyotes. The game was decently competitive; however, the Coyotes, jumped out to a double digit lead at halftime and we had to play catchup again which we were largely able to do. Going into the 4th quarter, we were dwn 20-13 and needed a TD in order to extend the game. We managed to score relatively early in the 4th quarter to tie the game up at 20-20. From there, however, it was a struggle to try and score again for us. The Coyotes were driving down the field towards the 5 minute mark were an untimely defensive pass interference gravely hurt our stopping chances and allowed the Coyotes to chew clock. We managed to force a field goal, but we needed to get moving on the final drive in order to even have a chance at field goal range. Unfortunately, we never were able to get the ball back again as the Coyotes were able to run out the clock and clinch the game for themselves, essentially knocking us out of the playoffs.

All in all, looking back at this season, it may have been a bit disappointing as we did not make the playoffs, but we managed to improve as a team defensively and had a couple of good steps toward the future. As for me individually, I believe I had an all-pro season as a rookie DT as I complied 55 tackles, 5 TFLs, 8 sacks, and 1 safety. I hope I was able to leave a good mark on my team and I hope to improve in the future and wherever that leads me in the coming seasons. I am going to aim to keep improving so that I can one day surpass my mentor in Ranger. Let's get it!

-Solace Avenger