International Simulation Football League
*Retirement Retrospective: Jimi DeSoto - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Retirement Retrospective: Jimi DeSoto (/showthread.php?tid=37805)

Pages: 1 2

*Retirement Retrospective: Jimi DeSoto - Jimi64 - 02-22-2022

It’s time to hang it up.

[Image: IMG_6439.jpg?width=503&height=671]

This career was very special to me, and I don’t think any other player I create could match the passion, joy, and excitement that this one brought me. Things change. Life keeps going.

The height of Covid was a really tough time for me mentally. I think everyone by now understands how those circumstances could take a toll on a person’s mental health, so I don’t need to get into it. But discovering the ISFL gave me an escape and a loving community in a time that I really needed it.

When I created, the forums were so confusing to me. Not to mention, I couldn’t even get a read on how big the league actually was. Joining the discord servers was a wild experience once I saw the amount of activity and enthusiasm that the users had. I remember that time I first got contacted by DSFL scouts. “I can’t believe how real this is” I thought to myself. It felt so amazing to feel wanted by these teams.

I felt welcomed by all the locker rooms I joined, but Norfolk’s was the one that I easily clicked with the most. It was an environment where I felt like I could be entirely myself. Norfolk of those days (and I’m sure now too) was a place that made me enjoy the league the right way. GM’s J0EB and Blasoon were simply godlike at providing an exciting and joyful new user experience. The other big characters/old heads of Norfolk helped promote their vision, such as Schwarz, Isa, Tesla, Scorp, Teyon, etc. All in all it was a great community, and I very badly wanted to be drafted by them. I ended up barely talking in other locker rooms as time went on, which was mostly because I simply was the most at home in Norfolk, but I knew it might increase my chances of playing for them a little.

When the draft came and Norfolk picked me in the third round, I literally could not stop smiling the rest of the day. I knew it seemed a little silly to be that excited by a sim league, but I don’t think anyone should be ashamed of those emotions that come out of these leagues. They’re real interactions with real people, and if it’s meaningful to you, there’s nothing wrong with that.

THE MEAN BEAN MACHINE

That first season was glorious. Season 25 was a special class around the league, and Norfolk was no different. We got CLOSE. Connor, Tmo, Lanced, Roes... it’s funny how this stuff feels like ancient history to me now.

At one point I dreamed about reuniting all the studs in one place. It didn’t happen, but that’s the way it goes. The bean theme came from something Blasoon said about making baked beans. He said “That’s great beans,” and we figured that sounded like some sort of saying or catchphrase, so we repeated it many times. Theres still bean themed emotes in Norfolk. There were many hilarious moments. The best might’ve been Lanced’s videos about buying T6 equipment while he wore a kilt.

We lost in the Ultimini to London that season, but it was a great run. I was voted a captain for the following season, and I was eager to get into the war room and contribute to the inner workings of Norfolk. I had so loved the scouting process before that I knew I wanted to do it for the Seawolves.

The ISFL draft created a significantly smaller amount of anxiety for me than the DSFL draft. I wasn’t interested in joining all the ISFL locker rooms, which I’m sure hurt my draft stock in general, but I would have been overwhelmed by the amount of servers. I thought there was a chance that I’d be picked by teams with Seawolf representation, but outside of that I had no clue. I did know that Philly had done very poorly the previous season, so I wasn’t very excited at the prospect of joining the Liberty. However, the draft came around and they took me in the third round and called me up immediately.
I was excited at the prospect of playing with J0EB, but upon joining the Philly LR, I could see that it wasn’t in the best shape. This wasn’t a surprise for me, since in scouting J0EB asked me about how I would feel about a rebuild, both in terms of sim performance and culture, and I told him I would definitely be fine to work on a rebuild.
What happened in the offseason after my first season was some classic league drama. I’ve written about it multiple times and spoken about it on podcasts, so I’m not motivated to go into it. Bottom line is that we lost a GM, a defensive star, and trades were requested. This all happened within a week of me being added to the war room. It was a tough spot, and I even thought about leaving once my rookie contract was up.

Meanwhile in the DSFL, I had been giving boatloads of time contributing to the Norfolk war room. I loved seeing this side of the league, and I slowly started to grow in confidence when it came to having my own opinions on GMng, rules, the draft, and so on. When Blasoon stepped down, I knew I wanted the GM job, and I was overjoyed when I was hired. That first season of GMng was maybe the most fun I’ve had in the league. I had so much fun and experienced the league with such intensity that I wasn’t sure I’d ever be able to enjoy it the same as just a player. We had a terrible record when I was GM, but I was taking over a rebuilding team. I think I did a good job, and the amount of first round ISFL picks we had after that first season gives me confidence in how I did. However, life changed for me going into that second GM season, and I still feel quite sad I could not perform to my expectations. I loved GMng with J0EB and Connor and I can’t thank Connor enough for taking on a lot of my responsibilities in that second season. I decided to step down after that season.

Back to Philly though. The Pat and Cody era began, and though I was unsure of how first time GM’s might go. However, from the start they made it clear that they wanted me to be a big part of Philly’s future.
Though I don’t feel the need to go too much through all my seasons with Philly, I just want to say that although the highest point we reached in my career was a conference final, we put in so much effort and hard work for this team. Many days spent in that war room planning, scouting, speaking about potential free agent opportunities seasons away, and draft strategy. Lack of playoff success was not for lack of trying, and I’m proud of that work. I would also like to shoutout that S25 draft class, who came into that team when it was a mess but had faith in Pat and Cody’s vision. I appreciate all of the Liberty.

My career was never something to speak about on the stats sheet. I played coverage linebacker, and at this point in the league that speaks for itself. It never mattered to me that I didn’t get crazy stats. I always did it for the team.

What I do hope is that I can be remembered a bit for my contribution to the team culture. The last 2 or 3 seasons I have not been active much at all. Life changes. Before that though, I was voted a team captain I believe six times in a row. Six times. That actually meant the world to me. I tried very hard to be a leader for the team, and I hope it helped make some users’ experiences more fun through those losing seasons.

@J0EB
You were with me from the start my friend. From the beginnings in Norfolk as a user you helped with TPE math, to the guy who took your captain mantle (which you eventually got back), to co-GM, to great friend. It’s been a great ride, and it’s going to be tough to be on the field without you. If you come back to this league, somehow or someway I’m going to make sure we play together again. But I know you're just a message away at any time, and I'm the same.

[Image: JJ_Retirement_copy.png]
(credit to @Pat)

I guess there’s nothing more to say. I’ll be creating again soon, but it’s not going to be the player DeSoto was. Regardless, keep an eye out!

RE: Retirement Retrospective: Jimi DeSoto - Sebster - 02-22-2022

love you jimi <3

RE: Retirement Retrospective: Jimi DeSoto - Pat - 02-22-2022

I don't need to say any of this because you already know, but you're nothing short of a legend to Philadelphia as a player and a user. One of the best parts of becoming a General Manager here was getting to know you. You're a great person, Jimi, and I'm so grateful for all the time and effort you put into helping with the team. You deserve nothing but the best.

Much love.

RE: Retirement Retrospective: Jimi DeSoto - Cody - 02-22-2022

We love you Jimi. You'll always be a part of our team. You helped stabilize the franchise and build it into what it is today. I appreciate it immensely.

RE: Retirement Retrospective: Jimi DeSoto - zaynzk - 02-22-2022

Calgary Calvary Legend

RE: Retirement Retrospective: Jimi DeSoto - Jimi64 - 02-22-2022

(02-22-2022, 05:27 PM)zaynzk Wrote: Calgary Calvary Legend

high key upset I forgot to mention this

RE: Retirement Retrospective: Jimi DeSoto - ConnorM123 - 02-22-2022

MEAN BEAN MACHINE 4EVA, ly Jimi

RE: Retirement Retrospective: Jimi DeSoto - BOOM™ - 02-22-2022

That was a nice read. Congratulations on Desotos career and all the best for the new create.

RE: Retirement Retrospective: Jimi DeSoto - slate - 02-22-2022

I came here to post some meme drama for you but this was such a sweet article I couldn't bring myself to. Congrats on a great career and I can't wait to see you recreate!

RE: Retirement Retrospective: Jimi DeSoto - 209tacos - 02-22-2022

Yo?? What??? Who said you can do this???