International Simulation Football League
*S2 Colorado Yeti: The Good, Bad and Future - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *S2 Colorado Yeti: The Good, Bad and Future (/showthread.php?tid=3853)

*S2 Colorado Yeti: The Good, Bad and Future - RainDelay - 08-30-2017

Welcome to the Season Two NSFL in Review series! There will be 8 parts to this, one for each team in record/elimination order. @kckolbe and I will be looking at the good things, the bad things, and the future scope of each team.

So far in this season’s series:

8. S2 Las Vegas Legion: The Good, Bad and Future
7. S2 San Jose SaberCats: The Good, Bad, and Future
6. S2 Philadelphia Liberty: The Good, Bad and Future

Next up are the Colorado Yeti, who finished 3rd place in the National Simulation Football Conference this season, which did not allow them to qualify for the playoffs.

[Image: PEiOhGL.png]
COL Colorado Yeti COL
8-6
Third in NSFC

The Good

Don’t let placing in the standings deceive you. The Colorado Yeti may have finished in third and missed the postseason, but they were 8-6, the same record as the top two teams in the division, the Hawks and the Wraiths. So naturally, there is a solid amount of “good” to write about.

Number One: That point differential. Slapping the label of good on their point differential is actually not doing it justice. It was fantastic. The Yeti scored 268 points on the season and allowed 216. That adds up to a +52 differential. That is the best in the conference, by FAR. The first place Baltimore Hawks actually have a negative two. The Yellowknife Wraiths just barely managed a positive statistic, finishing with a plus five. And the Philadelphia Liberty, well, they are an expansion team, and were outscored by 74 points on the season. Those comparisons make the Yeti’s number all the more impressive. Unfortunately for them, the tiebreaker is on total points after conference record, so the Wraiths, who scored more, still managed to beat them out.

Number Two: Their odd defensive ranking. Oddly enough, the Yeti are in the bottom half of the league in total yards allowed per game, rushing allowed per game, and passing allowed per game. Yet somehow, teams just fail to score against them. When it comes to points allowed per game, they yield a measly 15.4, which is good enough for second in the league, and the best in their conference. In fact, they only allowed 216 points on the season, which, differential aside, is still fifty less than anyone else in the conference. Elite linebacker play is a major reason for this, as Johnathon Saint and Luke Tiernan had incredible all-around seasons, and truly anchored the defense in the Mile High Stadium.

Number Three: Boss Tweed. Maybe the most underrated running back in the entire league (yes, I see you, Darlane Farlane), Tweed amassed 1054 yards on 285 carries, good enough for second in the league. Among qualifiers, his 3.7 yards per carry is also the highest in the league. He has a rather low-key personality around the league, but as one of the GMs of the Yeti, it is clear that running back is a position that this team will have on lock for seasons to come.

The Bad

Unfortunately for a third place team, there is still enough bad to write about, so I’ll take a crack at it.

Number One: The underperformance of their supposed star QB. I cannot knock Logan Noble’s dedication. He has one of the best work ethics in the entire league, so it may not be a fault of his, but the training is just not resulting in change on the field. This guy was supposed to be the crown jewel of quarterbacks, but his 70.3 QBR is second lowest among starters, only to the Legion’s Josh Bercovici. He has capable targets, but Noble often struggles to find them. He did eclipse 3000 yards, but threw two more interceptions than touchdowns, which is not a recipe for success. Match all that with a 56% completion percentage and his stats were just…eh. Not what the Yeti fans expected from their franchise player.

Number Two: Their odd defensive ranking. Wait, didn’t I type that already? I did, to speak of the good that came from the surprisingly miniscule number of points they allowed. But to hammer home that point I had to talk about the amount of yards they surrendered. While they may have had clutch stops to prevent points, the team, or any team for that matter, would not be wise to expect that to continue. Finishing in the bottom half of the league in yards allowed for every category is not a good way to win ball games. The clutch stops are likely to run out eventually, and those drives will start to result in points allowed, sending the team down the ranks.

Number Three: Lack of a top tier offensive lineman. Bender Rodriguez, arguably their best blocker, would have trouble cracking a top 10 linemen list in the NSFL, a league that has eight teams. Protection is the weakest part of the Colorado Yeti roster. Gadget Tech has had a nice little season with improvement, but this line is pretty much devoid of talent. Antonio Sandoval, a Season 3 player, is not likely to end up back in Denver, so there goes another piece of the puzzle. If Rodriguez and Daniel Robicheaux ever return to training activity, then there may be a light at the end of the tunnel, but for now, the line needs serious improvement. Imagine what Boss Tweed could have accomplished had there been a competent line in front of him. The same goes for Logan Noble, who often didn’t stand a chance back there.

The Future
The Colorado Yeti might have the most ambiguous future in the league, as it is quite hard to discern in which direction they are headed. For example, the SaberCats have made it clear they are taking steps in the right direction, and the Legion are headed into a downward spiral which will be even more apparent next season. The Yeti, if I had to pick, are going to miss the playoffs next season. Like I said earlier, the defense will not hold up, despite the linebacking corps’ best effort. And if the O-Line is failed to be addressed for a third straight season, the only three of the team’s existence, then I just don’t see how they will consistently beat the Hawks, Wraiths, and even the rising Philadelphia Liberty. The Season 1 Ultimus appearance should be savored, as it is not likely they make it back there any time in the near future.

GRADED

*S2 Colorado Yeti: The Good, Bad and Future - Ltsmashie - 08-30-2017

Nice recap, can't argue with you!

*S2 Colorado Yeti: The Good, Bad and Future - TheMemeMaestro - 08-30-2017

I see my name...Go Yeti

*S2 Colorado Yeti: The Good, Bad and Future - kckolbe - 08-30-2017

Good stuff, man. By the way, any Yeti players interested in doing something cool, I need a Yeti writer for a post-draft series I am putting together.

*S2 Colorado Yeti: The Good, Bad and Future - Noble - 08-30-2017

Great article RD Smile Noble will be back next season once he builds an offensive line, don't worry Wink

*S2 Colorado Yeti: The Good, Bad and Future - TheMemeMaestro - 08-30-2017

(08-30-2017, 09:17 AM)Noble Wrote:Great article RD Smile Noble will be back next season once he builds an offensive line, don't worry Wink
Are we robots? Big Bot is a DT.