International Simulation Football League
*Before the Draft - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Before the Draft (/showthread.php?tid=3855)

*Before the Draft - ItsJustBarry - 08-30-2017

The NSFL draft will be arriving next week, giving former USC receiver Trey Willie about 5 more days to prepare for the next stage of his career.
Willie, projected as a possible first round draft pick, headed back home to his mother’s suburban Indianapolis home Tuesday following a gut-wrenching loss in the ASFC championship game. The former Otter wanted to get back to his family and relax heading into an exciting and life-changing time of his life.

“The main thing was to get back home to my family,” Willie said. “I spent some time with my teammates after the game, but as reality set in that that could be the last time I stepped foot in the Otters home locker room, I just wanted to get home and clear my head.”
“No matter where I end up, it’s my time to shine,” he said, chuckling, “but in my heart, I want to remain an Otter.”
Trey Willie doesn't see any reason why he shouldn't be mentioned alongside Darren Smallwood and Stormblessed as top tier receivers with tremendous ceilings. “After all, had I arrived in this league a year ago, I would have already had a full season to leave my mark on.”
"Nothing has changed," Willie told the Indianapolis Star on Wednesday. "I don't know what scouts are seeing as far as me being active and capable, but most teams have their wide receiver depth charts full. I just want to land where I can continue to be productive and have my chance to shine.”

It began August 28, when the Otters lost 17-13 to the Arizona Outlaws — an unfortunate defeat that wasn’t decided until the clock read 0:00. While Willie was an active member of the Orange County Otters, he was overshadowed by the dangerous receiver duo of Bradley Westfield and Robert Phelps. "As a player, you're not going to want to sit out and watch your team grind and get after it while you're standing on the sideline," Willie said. "I'm not that type of person. No, I want to be in the game.”

Scouts see the physical dimensions for Willie to be an NSFL starter. He's not particularly big (6-1, 205 pounds) or fast boasting only an 82 on the speed rating however, his is heart is where the intangible metrics are when trying to analyze this kid. He is gaining quickness, separation skills, good hands and a stronger knowledge of the game. This guy is putting in extra work when it counts.
As one high-ranking NSFL scouting man put it, the question isn't whether Willie profiles as a good, solid starter, he does, but whether he's a WR 1 or WR2 material and thus worthy of being drafted in the early stages of the first round is the real question. "He's going to be a well-rounded, productive player," another NSFL personnel man told the Indianapolis Star. He spoke on condition of anonymity for competitive reasons. "But I wouldn't necessarily say he's a sure No. 1 in two to three years. With these NSFL players, nobody knows whether these players are going to stay or go."

To Willie, that question shouldn’t even exist but as many players, scouts, and GMs have experienced in the past, it’s an all too real of a scenario. "The more and more I see myself as far as people talking about me, scouting me, and as I read these mock drafts, the more and more I get frustrated as I am deemed 'not a good, starting receiver.' But that's just how the NSFL works," Willie said. "I feel like I am the caliber to be that top, starting receiver. That's my goal: to come in immediately and get it going."

Scouting report on Trey Willie: He is a good sized, agile target who had 24 catches for 261 yards and 4 TDs in his shortened S2 season. Brought into the Otters organization as a WR3 before week 3 , catching 3 passes and a TD in his season debut. Physically agile (posting a 76 using metrics you wouldn’t understand) and wingspan (85 inches, approximately), creating a wide catch radius. Possesses immense physical potential that need refining. Smooth runner, but not a burner. Could settle into a role of a detailed route-runner.

Insider's take: "It's hard to find guys that are that active, that athletic, this determined. He's just got to polish his routes and put it all together and be consistent with everything he does. And he's talked about it openly. He's got a huge upside." — unnamed NSFC scout

TEAM NEEDS

A brief overview of what each team may look to draft on round 1:

Arizona Outlaws: Arizona has 3 productive wide receivers in Dustin Evans, Charles Chess, and Mayran Jackson. Although they hold 2 first round draft picks, they are not likely to look for a wide receiver with either one.

Baltimore Hawks: The Hawks will be one of the last teams to pick in round 1. With a receiver depth chart already bolstering Cooper Christmas and Matthew Vincent, they will have a tough decision if Willie falls to them.

Colorado Yeti: The Yeti have a difficult decision to make in round 1. They could choose Willie to extend their offensive weapons but with Logan Noble constantly under pressure, they may try to protect the franchise signal caller.

Orange County Otters: What to do here. The Otters already have the 3-headed monster of Phelps, Westfield, and Wright Jr. and although Willie was a welcome addition in S2, they likely look to defense with their 1st round pick.

San Jose Sabercats: The locker room morale seems to be trending upwards for this Sabercat organization. As the only other team with 2 picks in round 1, they bring in a franchise player who can continue the upward trend this team seemed to have as S2 concluded. With Darren Smallwood and Shane Weston being productive and taking the lion’s share of the offensive snaps, this team looks to fill multiple defensive needs in round 1.

Yellowknife Wraiths: The Wraiths traded earlier this season to acquire Bradley Cook to add to the already dangerous Josh Garden. With the Wraiths having the some of the lowest interception and pass deflection numbers in the league, they will likely look to add depth in their secondary.

Code:
1048 words

GRADED

*Before the Draft - kckolbe - 08-30-2017

I think the Hawks are more likely than you believe. They don't have a worthwhile #3 WR at the moment, and their #1 WR is slowly being passed up. You could be the #2 there in a couple of seasons.

*Before the Draft - White Cornerback - 08-30-2017

Good write up!

One thing though is that the Wraiths don't need any more help in their secondary. We have low PD's and INT's because nobody risks throwing it against us. If anything it's our DLINE that needs work to provide some pressure.

(08-30-2017, 12:16 PM)Dermot Wrote:Good write up!

One thing though is that the Wraiths don't need any more help in their secondary. We have low PD's and INT's because nobody risks throwing it against us. If anything it's our DLINE that needs work to provide some pressure.

I saw low PD and INT and assumed and you know what happens....

(08-30-2017, 11:06 AM)kckolbe Wrote:I think the Hawks are more likely than you believe.  They don't have a worthwhile #3 WR at the moment, and their #1 WR is slowly being passed up.  You could be the #2 there in a couple of seasons.

I didn't completely rule the hawks out. Hopefully for the Hawks, they are picking #8 and I am not sure sure if I fall that far. This is really hard to gauge with so many good and active WRs already on rosters.

*Before the Draft - kckolbe - 08-30-2017

(08-30-2017, 10:26 AM)ItsJustBarry Wrote:I didn't completely rule the hawks out.  Hopefully for the Hawks, they are picking #8 and I am not sure sure if I fall that far.  This is really hard to gauge with so many good and active WRs already on rosters.
The winner of tonight's championship game picks 8th. Hawks are likely to lose, being on the road and having been the weaker team. You could very well fall further than 8th, by the way. WR is not a position really being sought after. I wouldn't be surprised if you get taken anywhere from 5th to 15th.

*Before the Draft - Silver Fox - 08-30-2017

WR just happens to be a pretty filled position. I'd be shocked if one goes in the 1st, even the 2nd.

(08-30-2017, 02:06 PM)Silver Fox Wrote:WR just happens to be a pretty filled position. I'd be shocked if one goes in the 1st, even the 2nd.

Maybe I fall to the DSFL, have a bunch of illegitimate children, and end up like Rae Carruth. Nothing should shock you.