International Simulation Football League
(S35) Offseason Task - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S35) Offseason Task (/showthread.php?tid=38869)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

(S35) Offseason Task - siddhus - 04-18-2022

(S35) Offseason Task 
You have until the end of the offseason to complete the Offseason point task, so the deadline will be Sunday, May 1st, 2021 at 11:59PM EST.

Quick Rules:
  • You can earn up to a maximum of 10 TPE through any combination of the available Tier 1-3 tasks. Follow the word count rules specified for each tier and keep your submissions on topic.
  • Articles, graphics, or podcasts that have already been used to get media/graphics money cannot be submitted again for Ultimus Week credit (sorry – no double dipping!).
  • Podcasts can only be submitted for Tier 1 and 2 written tasks. A podcast must include 20 minutes of discussion for Tier 1 and 10 minutes of discussion for Tier 2 about the selected topic. If you make a podcast with someone else, it must be 20/10 minutes apiece.
  • As with PTs, graphics must show at least some effort (i.e. edits must be apparent, should be more than just text slapped on an image). Make sure to add any images you used in your graphic so we are aware of what you did.
Tier 1: Long Form Tasks (Must be 600+ words)
Choose ONE for 10 TPE.

1. The Season 34 Ultimus and Ultimini have officially come to an end. Congrats to the the Dallas Birddogs and Chicago Butchers for each winning their respective championships. How did each of the finalists in either the Ultimus or Ultimini arrive at the playoffs? Were there any teams that surprised or disappointed during the playoffs? If you’re writing this after the finals were decided, Were you surprised by the outcome?

2. Tell us about your draft class. Is there anything that makes it special in comparison to other classes? Where did your fellow draftees land, how are they doing? Did anyone turn out to be an unexpected steal of that draft based on what you know today? Do you think anyone in your draft class will become a hall of famer? If you’re new to the league, how do you think your class will do? Where do you think people will get drafted to?

3. For any team, certain players and users have gone above and beyond, shaping the legacy of the franchise. Choose any ISFL or DSFL team and create a Mount Rushmore for that team. Who in your mind are the four most noteworthy figures of the team’s history? Why does each one of your included figures deserve that recognition, and how did each of them make their mark?

4. “Sim gonna sim” is a popular expression in the league. Write about teams that have been graced by the sim gods and had amazing performances despite statistical odds, and/or about teams that were considered favorites but may have dealt with some bad sim luck that hampered their efforts. How much of an impact did it have on their season(s)?

5. The league has a rich and fascinating history, and our perspectives on it differ from person to person. In 600 words or more, describe any significant moment in ISFL or DSFL history, whether you were around for it or not. Describe the context, the significant members, and the events. What exactly made this event so famous (or infamous) and why does it deserve to be remembered? Events might include championship wins, the inducting of players to the hall of fame, or even a league scandal.

6. Write 600 words or more on something about anything in the league that interests you. It could be related to statistics, a league issue that you take seriously, or a niche part of history that doesn’t fit neatly into either of the above categories. This must be directly related to the league, so don’t wax 600 words about your team’s participation on a Werewolf server or something.

Tier 2: Short Form Tasks (Each must be 300+ words)
Choose up to TWO for 5 TPE each.

7. This task is exclusive to non-recreate rookies of the S35 class and later. In 300 words or more, how has your experience been in the league? Who have you met that has made your time here more fun, friendly, and exciting? Have you been satisfied with your player’s early start? What was it like being drafted for the first time? Do you have any comments or suggestions for the entire league that you think should be implemented?

8. With awards season upon us, make up an award for your player win for something not on the football field?

9. Through a random lottery drawing, you have been named the league's new commisioner for a day. Congrats! What improvements would you make to the league if you had the power to do whatever you wanted?

10. Write a short biography or story about your player. This could include background about how they came to the ISFL and how they’ve done so far, a story about their role in an exciting game, or anything else related to their experience in the league.

11. Write about your team’s biggest rivalry and what makes it so fierce. Is the competition founded in statistics and the team’s recent performance, or is it a rivalry that developed over time during the team’s history that would exist regardless of statistics?

12. Choose a team or player to write about that isn’t your own. What did they do well in the last season? Have they shown any drastic improvements from previous years? What could they do better?

13. Expansion Expansion Expansion! Tell us why you think the league should expand / not expand or include any ideas (in words) for team branding ideas you have or team locations.

14. Describe your player and/or team’s journey through this latest season. What were the highlights? What were the lower points? What might you have done differently? What are your expectations for next season?

Tier 3: Written/Graphics Tasks (Each must be either 150+ words or a graphic)
Choose up to FOUR for 2.5 TPE each.

15. Going to Disneyland! Who was the Ultimus Game MVP? Give us a rundown of their celebratory trip to Disneyland. (Can be completed after the Ultimus game)

16. This task is exclusive to recreate/non-recreate rookies of the S35 class and later. The season is over and the draft is coming up. What do you bring to a team, and why should a team choose to take a chance on you next season?

17. Your team has announced that they will be laying ground on a new stadium next season. What additions would you like to see included in it. No graphics option available here.

18. Written option - which teammate of yours is the ultimate team player and why? How does this person exhibit selflessness and put the team first? Are they a great locker room presence who encourages others? Do they play an important but unappreciated role on the team which doesn't receive much recognition for awards? Graphic Option: Create a graphic of your player with your teammate who exhibits a team-friendly attitude.

19. If your player had a show starring them, what would the plot be? Graphic Option: Create the cover art for your player’s show

20. Make a scouting report for any of the ISFL or DSFL draftees. Show their stats, abilities, TPE, or highlights. Written or graphic option available.

21. What are your thoughts on the sim engine? Do you think that it is better than DDSPF16?

22. You’re in charge of entertainment for the Ultimus or Ultimini half-time show. What would you do?

23. Create a billboard, magazine cover, unique trading card, or video game cover depicting a one of the league's stars.

24. If you could create a team using any active players in the league, what would that team look like? Would you build a group of all-stars to contend in the next Ultimus, or a team full of jokesters for the fun of it? Describe the roster and why you chose the players you did.

25. Imagine your current position was not available to be picked when you created your player. What other position would you have picked, and why?

26. Football is a game that has been going on for a while, loved by fans all over. But what if you were able to make some rule changes? Talk us through your new version of football, and what would be different and why?

27. What team do you think has the best branding in the league? What team do you think could use a refresh? Why?

28. Choose one existing award. Tell us why you think a certain player should win that award this season. Stats, or anything else possible should be used to support your case.

29. Awards have been a subject of controversy for a while in the league. Tell us your ideas on how awards process can be fixed.

30. Affliate PT from either SHL/PBE/WSBL. The Weeks must match with the timeframe of this UW. And you may only use a max of 1.

Contact your local PPT Team Member if you are confused for any of the prompts or in general need any help with anything!

RE: (S35) Offseason Task - FootballIsCool - 04-18-2022

21. What are your thoughts on the sim engine? Do you think that it is better than DDSPF16?

I will start this off by saying that I joined the league just as we switch to the most recent simulation engine, so what we currently have is all that I know. I will say that the change is probably a very good thing. From what I have been informed is that the previous simulation engine was largely figured out and that there were some positions, like offensive line, that were deemed worthless for a player to be occupying that position. But they are now relevant. Since we are a few seasons into the new simulation engine, it has what you would want in a simulation engine. It has a fair bit of randomness that feels like your team is not completely doomed if you are playing against a roster that is "far and away a better TPE". This allows for playoffs and individual games to feel far more meaningful and allows upsets and that is good for entertainment and in return is good for the league. With these positives that does not mean that this simulation engine does not have it's own set of flaws. The one initial issue that I had with the game was the lack of display of post game stats. This has since been remedied with displaying of the box scores. Kudos to the simulation team for adding that bit. Overall from what I have heard the switch was largely a success and an improvement over the old simulation engine.

25. Imagine your current position was not available to be picked when you created your player. What other position would you have picked, and why?

I would have been a Full back. I would have been like Tampa Bay Legend Mike Alstott, a true threat when running the ball. I would have actually made running the ball as a full back. However I would also have the ability to ground and pound everyone on god's green earth. The main reason I would like to be a fullback is because they are the friends of the Offensive linemen. They also serve up quite a considerable amount of pancakes to all of the friends on the team. That’s why being a fullback would be amazing. It would also like to see the ball every once in a while with handoffs and would live to show off my celebration dance that I have been planning on showing off. It is called the stumpy shake. I will leave that to the imagination of what that is but I will likely get fined for it. Kids will need to avert their eyes from the Television because of it but it will be good for the environment

[176 words]

27. What team do you think has the best branding in the league? What team do you think could use a refresh? Why?

There are a lot of teams in the league that have some really great brandings but I think the team that has the best branding in the league is the Colorado Yeti.  I would consider the Yeti to be my favorite branding because of their use of black as a focal point with how colorful this logo is by using the Colorado state flag. Everything is on a red backdrop in front of which is the Colorado flag’s iconic C outlined in royal blue in front of what is assumed to be a yeti but it is actually just a silhouette of what is unknown. The team that I would like to have a rebrand or the logo that I like the least is the Wraiths. It’s the worst logo in the league. It feels more like a skeleton than ghost-like and just feels like a played out version of the NFL Raiders and is boring and has been done over and over across many leagues.

[166 words]

30. SHL affiliate
different Forum Username: Hockeyiscool

RE: (S35) Offseason Task - Raven - 04-18-2022

OT Pass baby

RE: (S35) Offseason Task - g2019 - 04-18-2022

OT Pass

RE: (S35) Offseason Task - MattBake12 - 04-18-2022

OT Pass

RE: (S35) Offseason Task - sarah - 04-18-2022

ot pass

RE: (S35) Offseason Task - Pvtpenne - 04-18-2022

OT Pass

RE: (S35) Offseason Task - Accka - 04-18-2022

20. Make a scouting report for any of the ISFL or DSFL draftees. Show their stats, abilities, TPE, or highlights. Written or graphic option available. - 2.5 TPE
- https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/172791563435376640/966907288499658792/crab_PT.png

23. Create a billboard, magazine cover, unique trading card, or video game cover depicting a one of the league's stars. - 2.5 TPE
- https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/172791563435376640/966900469211492382/roberts_PT2.png

30. Affliate PT SHL - 2.5 TPE
- https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=123329&pid=3204978#pid3204978

RE: (S35) Offseason Task - Talls - 04-18-2022

OT Pass

RE: (S35) Offseason Task - PurpleReign - 04-18-2022

I think I bring a lot to the team, most obviously, I have been a max earner so far in my short time with the league. I know that is volatile, especially given how short my time in the league has been, but given I already have 138 TPE scheduled for my next update, whatever team drafts me will at least be getting a decent player. But beyond that, you are getting someone who will be extremely active in the locker room, I have watched each game I was in live, and I don’t plan on stopping that. This means when my teammates do something cool in the sim, I can hype them up over discord, raising the energy and making it a more fun place to hang out in. I have also begun sim testing and am really intrigued by it, so I am hopeful that I will be of use testing and theory crafting with the sim.
I personally don’t have any experience with Draft Day Sports: Pro Football 2016, so I cannot comment on how it compares to the 2021 version, however in isolation I have found 2021 to be a robust and interesting football simulator with only a few drawbacks. I really like how there is an element of randomness in the sim, while it may seem unfair, especially in high leverage situations, when a team who wins 95% of the time ends up losing, that happens in real life football as well. Most of the problems I have with the sim are with individual situations that may be patterns. For instance, I have seen quite a few fumbles (especially from receivers) be recovered by that same receiver. While I know this happens IRL, it seems to happen more in the sim. The other major problem I have is with punting, the sim wants to punt in insane situations, why would anyone ever punt on the opponents 32?
If I was not able to play as a cornerback I would likely have chosen to play as a safety. While this is kind of a cop out because safeties have a lot of the same benefits of a corner, I think there are enough distinctions that make them from a viewing experience completely different. Just so it is understood, I would create a free safety, I am more interested in making a difference in coverage than in the run game, and so I just feel it would be the better choice for my player. The reason I am interested in my player being a corner, is because of how high leverage each play is, it could result in a touchdown or an interception. This is just as true for safeties, as if a safety makes a great read, that means that they can have a huge unexpected int, but if they miss, that is almost definitely a touchdown, since they are the last line of defense. This is also true in the run game, if he would be forced to make a tackle, it would be to stop a huge play.
The team with the best branding is in my opinion, the Berlin Fire Salamanders. I know this may be a controversial opinion, but I believe it because it is such a unique concept. I am a little tired of the basic ideas for team’s branding. I think a simulation league is uniquely situated to allow for wacky and out their brands that have more character inherent to them than a real team can. Beyond that, their color scheme is so vibrant that it brings a ton of life and excitement. The team in most need of an upgrade is the Arizona Outlaws. I am happy to say this is not because the team has no flavor, and no character. The Outlaws absolutely do feel like something unique; I just think that the mascot might be a bit outdated and could be improved with a more visceral image. I also think the color scheme is a little too dark and muted for my taste.