International Simulation Football League
(S35) Offseason Task - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S35) Offseason Task (/showthread.php?tid=38869)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: (S35) Offseason Task - Philliesphan96 - 05-01-2022

6. Write 600 words or more on something about anything in the league that interests you. It could be related to statistics, a league issue that you take seriously, or a niche part of history that doesn’t fit neatly into either of the above categories. This must be directly related to the league, so don’t wax 600 words about your team’s participation on a Werewolf server or something.

One thing that has always interested me the most in any sim league is awards. Awards are something that my brother and I love discussing and debating and figuring out. So award voting and deciding the winners is something that I have always loved to do in any and every sport, real or simulated. So when I had the opportunity to be the Dallas award rep in my first season in the league over 2 real life years ago, I obviously jumped at the chance. I love stats and numbers, so anything I can do with stats and numbers and statistical analysis is something I will enjoy. That season I believe my inputs more or less created the entire ballot for the DSFL Awards. It was cool to see my input used and trusted so highly to base the entire awards ballot off of my input. Before getting kicked out of the server the next season, an announcement was made that they were looking for a new DSFL awards committee head. So I naturally jumped at the chance. I got paired with Woeklers the first couple seasons and he took the lead and I learned a lot about how to run the committee from him. A few seasons later, Woelkers got an expansion team and stepped down. thevoicelesscreator also became an ISFL GM at the time if I remember correctly. And as an ISFL GM, TVC had to leave the ISFL award committee and instead of just stepping down all together, he joined me in the DSFL. Again, I let TVC take the lead as he had been leading the ISFL committee since before I was in the league. Shortly after this, I became head GM in the PBE and the Rougarous began the beginning of one of the most dominant stretches of competition ever seen out of a recent expansion team in sim league history. A lot of my efforts were put into the PBE and into my (at the time) new fiancée. TVC, the saint of an awards rep that he is, did most of the work and let me keep my job as I did help with a lot of the gritty spreadsheet and form creation aspects of the job, even though I was basically IA in the ISFL, doing only weekly predictions. Eventually, TVC stepped down and it was my time to step back up in the ISFL. The Rougarous were getting to the point of basically running themselves and my amazing co-GM in Eldorian really helped lighten my load. I tried my best to emulate TVCs leadership in the awards committees. One of my larger philosophies in leading the committee is to let the committee make the decisions and try to promote discussion when disagreement happens. I tend to try to leave my inputs out of the discussions as I don't want many of the newer league members to just defer to the more experienced user who's the committee leader. I want to make sure that each user in the committee has their own voice since I remember the excitement that having my voice heard created in me. Since taking over, tomasnz was my first partner and they were a good partner, a similar partnership that TVC and I had. tomasnz helped a lot in getting the behind the scenes work done with the sheets and the forms. A few seasons later, they stepped down and bowl0 became my new partner, that partnership started off much of the same but in recent seasons, Bowl0 has started to take more of a leadership role in the committee especially as I now am married and have a little Phillies phan in house now. I feel like I found myself trying to do most of the work in the many seasons following TVC's lead almost in a way to prove to myself and to the leadership committee that I was not just here for a free paycheck like a couple of the seasons under TVC made it seam. More recently, it's been a lot more of a healthy balance in the workload of the committee. All this to say, being in the awards committee basically since I joined the league has been one of my favorite aspects of the league and something I love to be involved in, even if I disagree with some of the ballots that have been put out by my committees over the seasons.

RE: (S35) Offseason Task - shadyshoelace - 05-01-2022

21. What are your thoughts on the sim engine? Do you think that it is better than DDSPF16?

With the sim change a few seasons ago from Draft Day Sports Pro Football 16 to DDSPF21, we noticed a few changes to how teams and players could build their success in the league. One change that I like is that teams have more flexibility in their schemes, having the ability to tailor their team's play to the talents of the particular players on the roster at the moment. For example, the 4-3 vs 3-4 scheme debate on defense seems to be a viable one now, when it the 3-4 base was almost never acceptable for a team to run if they wanted to win under the old sim. Moreover, archetype tweaks recently seem to have balanced out some of the early kinks with the sim change, resulting in a good experience for many players. I am sure that it's not perfect, but overall the update to the sim seems to be one that has paid dividends for the league.

25. Imagine your current position was not available to be picked when you created your player. What other position would you have picked, and why?

If Dante King couldn't have been created as a running back when he joined the league, he would most likely have played either quarterback or wide receiver. After a successful career on defense, I was ready to start seeing my player do cool things on a more regular basis, namely march down the field and put points on the board. Running back with a receiving archetype has been very fulfilling as I've been able to contribute in a lot of different ways over the years, but at another premium offensive skill position I would be able to have a similar impact, even a larger one in the case of playing under center. Being the focal point of the offense would be very intriguing and tempting, and I may be eyeing that position when my next create comes around even though that is far out and there is plenty of time for that to change. For now, I'm very happy in my existing role.

RE: (S35) Offseason Task - MobiausGrander - 05-01-2022

Task 1
Another year, another season of the ISFL has concluded. For Season 34, the Ultimini had a bit of a surprise twist as we had a team that was not expected to make it let alone win it, win the championship with a sub .500 record! The two teams that made the final are the unexpected Dallas Birddogs and the highly anticipated and strongly favored Minnesota Grey Ducks! Let's see how both teams arrived at the championship!

The Dallas Birddogs had a bit of a weird season in Season 34. They notably improved overall as a team on offense to become the best overall offense in the league by being first in points scored, first in total yards, first in rushing yards and second in passing yards. The defense, took a little bit of a step forward; however, it was still not up to par as the Birddogs were 7th in points allowed, 7th in total yards allowed, and 4th in passing yards allowed. However, a lot of the defensive stats were skewed due to the number of unlucky lopsided losses that the team suffered throughout the season. In addition, to back this up team's PD, when adjusting for the lopsided losses, was closer to a 8-6 team than a 6-8 team.

On the other hand, you have the Minnesota Grey Ducks, a team that was expected to bring home their third title in four seasons! 
As expected of Minnesota, they were dominate on bot sides of the ball as on offense they became the fourth in points scored, 7th in total yards, third in rushing yards and 8th in passing yards. The defense was godly as usual as it was  5th in points allowed, 5th in total yards allowed, and 6th in passing yards allowed. The stats may seem deceiving as we all know the sim to be random and mess up a team stats from time to time.

Since both teams made the playoffs, let's look at their runs. For the Birddogs, it seems that their defense gelled at the right time as they faced the Luchadores who swept them in the regular season. After going down 14-0 in the first quarter, the Birddogs defense started a 28-21 comeback throughout the rest of the game, capped off with multiple forced turnovers and timely stops that allowed them to advance in an upset to the Ultimini. For the Ducks, it was more business as usual. They faced the Kansas City coyotes and thoroughly destroyed them on defense and forced at least 5 turnovers on the Coyotes, setting up on paper to what seemed like a lopsided affair in the Ultimini. However, it did not seem to be the case. Driven by their momentum, the Birddog's utterly destroyed the Ducks in a massive upset. The defense forced at least 6 turnovers from the Ducks and did not allow them to score til almost 4 minutes left in the whole game! The offense started off slow but by the end of the halftime, bolstered by the defensive turnaround, managed to pour on the points in the massive upset of the Ducks. This was a massive and historical upset, as not only the Ducks were favored by 14+ points, but this marks the Birddogs second ring all time and was the second time a below 500 team won in the Ultimini. I wonder if we will ever see such a season like this again between two different teams and having such a difference in styles, ending in such a huge and momentnal upset! Till next time in Season 35, take care everyone to have read and enjoyed this game we love all around the whole year!