International Simulation Football League
(S36) Offseason Task - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S36) Offseason Task (/showthread.php?tid=39823)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: (S36) Offseason Task - Trempale - 06-15-2022

OT Pass

RE: (S36) Offseason Task - slate - 06-15-2022

Quote:8. With awards season upon us, make up an award for your player win for something not on the football field?

By tradition in the London Royals locker room, the coaches host a few competitions for fun throughout the season to help the players, many new to professional football and the rest only a few years removed, learn more about each other and relax a bit from the everyday stresses of the job. A few days ahead of every road game, the team reserves a space in a bar or nice restaurant and has a chill night hanging out with a modicum of competition. League leadership in recent years has even taken to handing out little plush lion toys to each week's winner!

While the rookie fullback Leandre Diarra enjoyed these evenings to hang out with his first pro football teammates, he for the most part did pretty badly in the actual competitions. Hailing from Europe and not paying any attention to American football until partway through his college tenure, competitions relying on trivia about American culture or the sport they played disadvantaged him heavily. Leandre had resigned himself to probably not collecting any cute lion plushies. That is, until he saw the email blast go out before the final home game of the season... that week's contest was going to be a geography bee.

While Leandre had never considered himself a geography buff per se, it was definitely an area of interest for him growing up. He used to spend nights looking through the big atlas his parents kept in the home office, and his interest in his African heritage helped him learn a lot of conventionally obscure geographical knowledge. He wasn't sure how much world geography would be covered, but when the night came he was able to hold his own enough with the US and UK geography thanks to his time spent there, and wiped the floor with his other teammates when it came to foreign cities and countries.

At the end of the night, Leandre's teammates cheered loudly as he walked to the front of the room to accept his prize from general manager Gordon Bombay. As Gordon handed Leandre the Royel Prize for Geography (as he announced the stuffed lion was to be properly called), he leaned over and whispered in Leandre's ear, "You didn't really think we were going to let you finish the season without one of these, did you?"

Code:
383 words

Quote:25. Imagine your current position was not available to be picked when you created your player. What other position would you have picked, and why?

Well, if we lived in the very sad alternate reality where I was unable to play as a fullback, I think my choice probably would have been running back, most likely with the receiving back archetype. When I was initially thinking about my recreate a few seasons ago, having already played cornerback, I was immediately drawn to positions on the offensive side of the ball. My first player, Petey Patterson, was a very calm player who stayed on one team his entire career and was honestly a little bit boring to write about by the end of his career in terms of PTs and such. I was therefore interested in playing close to the opposite - a hotheaded drama-attracting offensive star player. That's kind of a WR stereotype and I wasn't really interested in just lining up directly opposite my previous position - I wanted to get involved with a whole different area of the game. So I think running back made for a natural choice, and I even went so far as to come up with some potential names and backstory ideas for this character before ultimately deciding to go with a fullback instead (and a much different character concept).

Code:
201 words

(I just realized after posting this that technically a FB is a RB archetype so this doesn't really answer the prompt, but I don't care because I treat it as a very different role on the field.)

Quote:31. Affliate PT from either SHL/PBE/WSBL. The Weeks must match with the timeframe of this Offseason Task. And you may only use a max of 1.

WSBL Affiliate

RE: (S36) Offseason Task - chxhawk - 06-15-2022

[Image: Vincent_Sharpe_Jr_Card.png]

RE: (S36) Offseason Task - Hontier - 06-16-2022

7. +5 TPE
So far, the ISFL/DSFL has been amazing to me as a whole. People here are very welcoming and helpful, I feel like I could ask anyone a question and they could either answer it for me or at least put me in the right direction. Every corner of the league is a great place to be. There's plenty of different discord servers to join for each team, and plenty of chats to have fun in. Whether it's simulated Pokemon, a counting bot, memes, or rpg, there's something for everyone in every single server. I honestly believe that just about anyone can have fun here no matter their interests. The tasks are fun and I feel like I can find something that I enjoy doing to get my player to progress at every point throughout the season. I've taken a liking to graphics and plan on making that my "living" here most likely. One person I could point out specifically that's helped me out here is Sebster, I believe he was the first to reach out to me and invite me to the London Royals server. I had a lot of fun learning and talking with him in the rest there. When I was picked up by the Royals it was great, I was glad I could get a chance to play so early into creating my player. Sebster and team welcomed me very quickly and it definitely made it easier to get into a more comfortable role in the league. I had a great start in the league, making a decent impact in my first game, however making penalties that did not help me. It slowed down from there but I felt like I had a decent understanding of what I needed to upgrade and how my role plays out on the field.

25. +2.5 TPE
When I first got onto the forum, I had a skim over the beginning player creation and the position tracker that shows the quantity of each position within the league. Without quite understanding the inner workings of the structure of rosters, I saw that QB was the least populated and in turn created a QB. After reading basically one line down where it said that there is really only one QB per roster, I realized I messed up and subsequently messaged one of the Rookie Mentors who fixed it up for me by deleting the QB I made. So for my new approach to see what position I should make my player around, I did some simple math. I took the total amount of players created at each position, subtracted the free agents to get how many were on a roster, and then did total divided by rostered to get how many people there were per roster spot. Linebacker came out on top as the most scarce position. If I remember correctly, defensive lineman was second in scarcity so I would likely go for DL as my next position.

26. +2.5 TPE
When it comes to the question of what can be changed about the game of football, the idea of kickoff comes up a lot. There are plenty of reasons as to why it's a flawed part of a football game. A big reason is that it is a much bigger risk of injury than the rest of the game. It shows an uptick in chance of a concussion due to the nature of it. You run full speed at that other team and clash right into them. These huge impacts can obviously bring along big chances of injury, so there is valid purpose behind wanting to reevaluate the kickoff. The most popular and widespread alternative, which is what I also agree with, is a high risk, 4th down play where you need to go 15 yards in order to retain posession. This is, I believe, a nice upgrade to the kickoff, as it gives a better chance for the attempting team to lead a comeback. That could see a rise in comeback games, and closer, higher scoring, excitement filled ones as well. It doesn't even have to be 15 yards, it could be even longer if the length of 15 is deemed to be too short. I think it would be a great thing to try as it changes up something that's been in the game as long as we can remember to give us something new.

RE: (S36) Offseason Task - bechtudo - 06-16-2022

Tier 2 - 14.
Udo E Beaty was picked of waivers from the Bondi Beach Buccaneers and i his first game in week 2 Udo had a great performance. With 2 rushing TDs he was a great contributor even though the game was lost 24-33 against the Dallas Birddogs. In week 3 against the Portland Pythons Udo had 11 carries for 50 yards for a 4.5 average per carry. Unfortunately the game was lost again, final score 27-6. Week 4 saw the Buccaneers win their first game of the season against the London Royals with the score 32-27. Udo was only used little in that game but also had the 3rd game in a row where he caught a pass. Week 5 against the Kansas City Coyotes the Bucs lost big time 49-12. In this game Udo carried the ball 8 times for 38 yards. Week 6 against the Tijuana Luchadores saw the Bucs loose again and Udo had 13 carries for 67 yards for a nice 5.2 yard average per carry. In week 7 against the Minnesota Grey Ducks Udo had his first game with 100 yards rushing plus a reception for 11 yards. The Bucs won the game 31-13 and relied heavily on the rushing attack which was lead from the Bucs #1 RB Bean Delphine jr. Bean who rushed in that game for 142 yards and 3 TDs. Unfortunately the second half of the season saw the Bucs loose all their game from week 8-13 and the managed only one more win in the last week of the regular season against the Minnesota Grey Duck with the final score being 31-28. Udo who already had a good game in week 7 against the Grey Ducks rushed in that game 15 times for 90 yards and 2 TDs. For the season the stats for Udo were as follows: 138 rushing attempts for 541 yards and 5 TDs as well as 12 receptions for 69 yards. Udo is looking forward to the upcoming draft and is excited. He had several good interviews in the last days leading to the draft and he is also eager to develop further his skills and make himself the best player he can be.

369 words

RE: (S36) Offseason Task - TwoSocks - 06-16-2022

7. This task is exclusive to non-recreate rookies of the S35 class and later. In 300 words or more, how has your experience been in the league? Who have you met that has made your time here more fun, friendly, and exciting? Have you been satisfied with your player’s early start? What was it like being drafted for the first time? Do you have any comments or suggestions for the entire league that you think should be implemented?

I joined this sim league around 2 months ago and I don't regret it one bit. This was my first sim league so I was a bit unsure and nervous about what to do, but I quickly learned. I have had an exceptional amount of fun that I never thought I would have, and am expecting to have many more years of fun to follow. I would like to shoutout the Minny LR, especially Painted. I don't think I would be half as active if I didn't end up in my current situation. I can consistently have fun in the LR, and have a great time every day. My player Nate Winter, is a tackling machine. Just tackling though. He is a bit above average, but I love him still. I recently have found a lot of fun in making graphics, with a lot of help from @Pizza-faith. I am still growing in that department though, and have plenty of work to do! (let me know if you want a sig!). When I was first drafted I was very optimistic, and figured I was going to Minnesota, Norfolk, or London! I was always leaning towards Minnesota since they picked me up on waivers, and gave me a lot of help in making my player, update page, and doing rookie PTs. There are many things I feel this league could improve on, since nothing is perfect. I for one, would love to see more DSFL games per week, instead of one double header game. I would also like to have a smoother grading system with more feedback, so I can understand better what I need to improve on. I know that I am asking for a lot, but I think the league would improve much more if things like that happened! I also believe that the forums should be made so it is easier to navigate, since that is something I struggled with at first!
324 words

13. Expansion Expansion Expansion! Tell us why you think the league should expand / not expand or include any ideas (in words) for team branding ideas you have or team locations.

Well, I was planning on making a media piece to finish my expansions series, but this works perfectly. On my last piece I wrote about the Tokyo Samurai, representing a DSFL team. I am once again going to talk about a new potential DSFL team located in Maine! I present to you..... The Maine Moose! The Maine Moose are a team that represents a hard-work mentality, putting everything they can into whatever they are doing. I decided to settle on Maine because I felt they were always snubbed in the sports community. Maine is a gorgeous state, with a ton of unique wildlife. I chose Moose because for one, it is the state animal, and for two, it is a moose. I feel the color scheme of Forest Green, Brown, and White would best represent Maine. They are all a part of the state flag, although Blue is the majority. I didn't go with blue because when I think Maine I think of the forest, and the beautiful landscapes, not of the water. Also there are to many blue teams. I think the addition of 2 new teams in the DSFL would provide a better playoff system, and add more diversity to each games. Also with the popularity of the league growing significantly, It would provide more room for players to play. Also a new team can spark many creative ideas and boost engagement among users. I would propose 2 divisions of 5, with 3 teams going to the playoffs. The first teams in each division would get a bye, similar to the ISFL playoff structure. I think this would be good because it adds an extra competitive aspect, and more to play for. This is why I think the ISFL should add both the Tokyo Samurai and the Maine Moose, otherwise known as the TOS and MNM!
308 words

RE: (S36) Offseason Task - g2019 - 06-16-2022

Code:
2. Tell us about your draft class. Is there anything that makes it special in comparison to other classes? Where did your fellow draftees land, how are they doing? Did anyone turn out to be an unexpected steal of that draft based on what you know today? Do you think anyone in your draft class will become a hall of famer? If you’re new to the league, how do you think your class will do? Where do you think people will get drafted to? - 10 TPE
You know, I do think my draft class is a very special class. First of all, it's an insanely huge class, the size of which we haven't seen in ages in this league. According to the TPE tracker, I count 125 members of the S36 class. This obviously includes waivers as well, but is about twice as many players as we have had in typical recent classes. Of those, 79 have earned at least the minimum amount of TPE to qualify for tomorrow's ISFL draft. These fantastic numbers will hopefully continue throughout these players' careers, and I'm confident we will have a number of GMs, HO members, simmers, updaters, and other job-holders and leaders from this class for literally years to come!

Relatedly, this class is DEEP. It's filled with super-active users who are already filling team war rooms. We have a ton of future stars in this group. Earning-wise, there are an incredible 42 players with over 200 applied TPE heading into the ISFL draft. In speaking with ISFL GMs and scouts, a typical theme is that there are so many good prospects that it will honestly be hard to miss in this one, which is fantastic for teams and the league. In fact, I've joked with some teams about throwing a dart at a board to decide who to pick!

I think, in retrospect, my Norfolk Seawolves had an absolutely KILLER draft. They locked in lockdown CB at 1oa, Graham Harper, whose player excelled on the field and whose user, PurpleReign, has been an absolutely INTERGRAL part of our war room and sim testing. In the 2nd, they got Ja'uan Holland, a fantastic user at a super important position (safety). Holland has been part of the hype crew, live chatting during games and creating a great locker room environment. In the 3rd, they got Thomas Robinson, who is an absolute top WR prospect and helped lead our receiving corps as a rookie. T-Rob is another one who is always in the chat, creating the special environment we have in Norfolk. Norfolk took my player, Sconnie McSix, in the 4th, and I was thrilled to come home! Somehow, they picked up Tae Dawson in the 5th round, who has been an ABSOLUTE steal of a player, a gem on the field, and part of the hype squad in the locker room. They traded into the 5th round to snag their quarterback in Pete Zuh, who position swapped to QB and has been running all over teams ever since, helping lead a potent Norfolk rushing attack that took them to an Ultimini championship. In the 7th round, Norfolk picked up a true locker room gem, as well as a great player in Jasper Fontaine. The user, LordCoolcats is one of everybody's favorites in the LR, and has been huge for us. GMs Beck and ISJ took Orlando Doom in the 8th, getting a solid offensive line piece, and then somehow managed to get Effoff IAmYeti in the TENTH ROUND. SDCore's player has been huge for us up the middle at defensive tackle, and he is a user who will do whatever he needs to in order to help his team be successful, often sacrificing personal stats for the team's benefit. All in all, I cannot say enough about how insane this Norfolk draft class was, and it's no wonder they were able to help Norfolk go from worst to first in a single season!

I'll finish by talking about Hall of Famers out of this class. I believe that Graham Harper COULD be a Hall of Famer someday, if he can avoid the burnout that can come with overburdening yourself with league jobs and responsibilities. As long as PurpleReign doesn't take on too much, join a ton of leagues, etc, I think he could be in the discussion with a bit of luck. I really like his build, I love how he approaches teammates and tasks, and I think he has the legs to finish the job.

Code:
667 words

RE: (S36) Offseason Task - Talls - 06-16-2022

OT Pass

RE: (S36) Offseason Task - Pizza-faith - 06-16-2022

19 Graphic Option: Create the cover art for your player’s show

[Image: zHPdzOg.png]

20. Make a scouting report for any of the ISFL or DSFL draftees. Show their stats, abilities, TPE, or highlights. (Written or Graphic Task)

[Image: 1sKixpk.png]

[Image: gerYhuZ.png]

29- Choose 1 existing award...

[Image: zgpFFOc.png]
To be honest I made this thinking I could create an award and was going to give Xave the friendliest award but I know his production was off the charts so I am giving him the DT award for the DSFL. Xave is a great user whose player had tremendous success and will only continue to do so.

RE: (S36) Offseason Task - Troen - 06-16-2022

Prompt 8 Wrote:Choose a team or player to write about that isn’t your own. What did they do well in the last season? Have they shown any drastic improvements from previous years? What could they do better?

Mark Goodhead definitely had the best year of a young career. Goodhead has shown some amazing growth in the interception and solid growth in passes defensed while still keeping up a decent number of tackles and reducing missed tackles. 7 interceptions isn't far behind the modern-sim record of 9, and to get there in a third year of the player's time at the cornerback position is remarkable. Goodhead does have a bit of an advantage over other third-year CBs due to spending 3 years in the DSFL as a TE before getting called up and swapping to CB. Most players would have a better early career arc if they were allowed to enter the league with over 600 TPE, after all. Given the early starting point, I don't think the team or player can reasonably expect to continue the rate of improvement we've seen in Goodhead's on the field performance so far. And, as a top-10% TPE earner from the S31 class, I don't think there's a high chance of any spike in performance resulting from TPE gain. If anything, I'd say Goodhead's potentially going to be seeing diminishing returns due to getting near the peak of the CB position already. The biggest wildcard to me is that Goodhead still has 3 traits to pick up. Role model (fewer penalties) probably won't show up strongly, especially because if I looked over the right things then Goodhead actually had no penalty yards in S35. Athlete includes "much faster while blitzing," which seems unlikely to be important for Goodhead's coverage corner position, and "slightly faster when catching" which doesn't clearly indicate if that works for PDs/ints or not. More promisingly, though, is competitor and its "more likely to defend passes" text. With 36 in S35 there might not be much room to grow, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on. "Can make more tackles without slowing down" can be relevant too, but given that Goodhead's already at 100 speed, I'm not sure how much of an impact that will be (especially if more PDs means fewer tackles due to fewer receivers needing to be tackled).

Prompt 13 Wrote:Expansion Expansion Expansion! Tell us why you think the league should expand / not expand or include any ideas (in words) for team branding ideas you have or team locations.

I see two reasonable reasons to expand but one strong reason to not expand.
First expand: The ISFL schedule with its 2 7-team leagues is set up to have every team play each team in its conference 2 times and then playing 4 of the 7 cross-conference teams. This can lead to relative advantages for the teams getting to play a weaker cross-conference slate of teams. Expanding by 2 teams, moving to 2 conferences with 2 4-team divisions, and tweaking the schedule would, I think, allow for more schedule parity. We couldn't do it quite as well as the 32 team NFL schedule version, but I think it would increase the parity.
Second expand: More teams would allow more lower-TPE players to be in the ISFL, which I think is more visible/impactful than playing in the DSFL. The DFSL is great as a tool to introduce players, but the roster unpredictability and disruption makes it feel (to me at least) to be less effective in getting people to be committed and trying to improve their player/team. If I remember correctly, only 3-4 S34 rookies were in the ISFL in their first year, though it looks like S35 has 17 of its 93 players in the ISFL now (I'm assuming that the June 16th date is before callups, but I'm not fully sure). So anyway, assuming the goal is to get more active players in the ISFL sooner, then I think expansion would help with that goal.
Don't expand: The number of active players (as measured by the 5 week running average of the number of posts in the activity check thread) has been pretty much flat for the last 6+ months. If we expand without being able to increase the number of active players, more teams are going to need to play lower TPE/inactive players in the ISFL. Using the rough average of 265 actives, moving from 14 to 16 teams changes the average number of actives per team from 18.9 to 16.5 (ignoring the DSFL entirely). A team needs 5 OL and 18 other players to fill all the positions, so the current average of just over that might actually be very much correct after factoring in the DSFL and that some humans play OL too. To me, this is a bigger argument against expansion than the other two collectively are for it.