International Simulation Football League
*S36 Draft - Individual Pick Grades (Part 1) - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *S36 Draft - Individual Pick Grades (Part 1) (/showthread.php?tid=40013)

Pages: 1 2

*S36 Draft - Individual Pick Grades (Part 1) - DREAMSLOTH - 06-22-2022

This is a continuation of my overall S36 Draft recap; the same disclaimer from that post applies here as well. You can review Team Grades & Analysis here.

Individual Pick Grades - Part 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Round 1, Pick 1
COL The Colorado Yeti select:
@PurpleReign - Graham Harper
Cornerback, Norfolk Seawolves

Grade: A+

First off the board in the S35 DSFL draft, first off the board in the S36 ISFL draft. It was meant to be. Harper was near the top of the boards in both INTs (T-2nd - 5 INTs) and PDs (2nd - 28 PDs). Add a respectable 73 tackles, 2 FFs, and an Ultimini to the list, and you've got a recipe for a first round pick.

Harper was a key component in Norfolk's suffocating S35 defense that was the leader in points allowed (291). Colorado starts the next iteration of their rebuild right by bolstering an aging defense and getting a player that can slot into the starting rotation immediately.

"
"Round 1, Pick 2
AUS The Austin Copperheads select:
@Mooty99 - Zaphod Beeblebrox
Wide receiver, Kansas City Coyotes

Grade: B+

It's hard to believe that Zaphod Beeblebrox was the WR3 on the S35 KCC roster. Despite this they were still ranked 11th in yards, T-10th for receptions, 15th in reception average, and T-15th in TDs.

On paper alone, the numbers would suggest this pick is a reach, and that might be true to some degree. Looking back on this pick as if it were live in the war room, however, and you can see that Austin landed one of the top WR options in this class when they almost certainly would've come off the board before their next pick. Mooty is a respected user in the community, and their player happens to also be the highest-TPE WR in this draft class (263). Not a bad get for the Copperheads, who can give TE82 a shiny new toy that can be called up immediately.

"
"Round 1, Pick 3
NYS The New York Silverbacks select:
@Repgnar - Teemo Swift
Safety, Minnesota Grey Ducks

Grade: A

The TPE leader of this draft class (268) goes in the first round where they belong. NYS needed a pick up on defense in a multitude of spots. If I were in their shoes I would've picked a DT, but they still get a solid selection in a position of need. Repgnar is arguably one of the most invested new users of the S36 class and has immense upside as a potential career starter.

"
"Round 1, Pick 4
NOLA The New Orleans Second Line select:
@Jaywe88 - Don Dobbler
Wide receiver, Tijuana Luchadores

Is Don Dobbler one of the top WRs in this draft? Yes. Is he the only player in this class with their own dance? Also yes. Future Fortnite emote / Luchadores WR Don Dobbler was the clear WR2 in Tijuana for the prestigious Elessar Jones, putting up a respectable statline of 59 catches for 859 yards (14.6 avg.) and 6 TDs. While not a breakout leader in any of those categories, Dobbler was a clear Top-15 WR in a class loaded with talent and has emerged as one of the pre-eminent members of the S36 player base.

This particular pick is a bit high for NOLA in my opinion, but they need help on the offensive side of the ball. Though the metric isn't tracked in the index, I'd venture to guess NOLA had close to a league low in TOP on offense last season (they did have a second-to-last 484 pancakes on the season). Giving some weapons to IHRI can only help put this team in a better position.

"
"Round 1, Pick 5
CHI The Chicago Butchers select:
@XaveValor - Xavier Valorian
Defensive tackle, Portland Pythons

Despite being a top-5 pick, this still feels low for one of the top DTs in a draft loaded with teams that need help in the front 7. Chicago just missed out on replicating their Ultimus success from S34, and part of that rests on an aging defense that wasn't able to hold up at the end of the season.

A unanimous first-round pick in every mock draft and one of if not the top DT, Xavier Valorian lands in an ideal situation to develop for a few years and later shine as the core of the new Butchers defensive line. With a solid bank account and great activity, Xave is going to be a star in the league for years to come.

"
"Round 1, Pick 6
BER The Berlin Fire Salamanders select:
@Chucky - Kevin McThumper
Linebacker, Bondi Beach Buccaneers

Another consensus first-rounder, new BBB GM Chucky lands in a great spot for one of the top LBs of S35, Kevin McThumper. McThumper did it all for the Buccaneers, who otherwise struggled on both sides of the ball last season; 121 tackles, 16 TFL, 2 FF / 2 FR, 7 sacks, 1 INT, and 7 PDs. Chucky adds to a respectable defensive core for Berlin and brings deep involvement with the league to the table as well.

"
"Round 1, Pick 7
SJS The San Jose Sabercats select:
@Friesen1520 - Ja’uan Holland
Safety, Norfolk Seawolves

Yet another linchpin of the Seawolves soul-crushing defense in S35. Holland and Swift were considered neck and neck for the #1 safety for much of the season, and Holland is not far behind in TPE (258). Not only were they one of the top defenders in the league, Holland was also a leading returner, bringing in a total of 2 return TDs and a league-leading 23.9 kick return avg.

Friesen is also showing promise as the next ThunderTitan, which speaks worlds to future earning potential. Given the versatility and the need for San Jose to upgrade their secondary, this is a perfect fit.

"
"Round 1, Pick 8
PHI The Philadelphia Liberty select:
@Alikh - Aleksandr Milescu
Safety, London Royals

Don't get me wrong, Alikh is an incredible user. I mean, who else would record a fried chicken rap set to ""It Was a Good Day""? Did anyone else show us how to do The Dobble? No, of course not. Because Alikh is one of a kind, even in a league full of unique personalities.

That said, this is an interesting selection to see in the first round with fellow star safety Quendyn Quarterstorm on the board. Philadelphia must have loved what they heard and saw in scouting (which is understandable), but Milescu has 9% fewer TPE and put up lower numbers in S35.

The upside here is in Alikh just being a great presence in the LR and an overall incredible human being who will likely have a long career in the league. A great selection to be sure, it just feels a bit early.

"
"Round 1, Pick 9
YKW The Yellowknife Wraiths select:
@JoshiePoo - J.T. Kurbis
Offensive lineman, Kansas City Coyotes

In the mock draft, I had OL pegged as a key need for the Wraiths. In a shallow draft for OL, YKW gets the #1 with a bullet OL and an anchor for future offensive stars. KCC had a league-leading 307 pancakes, led by 68 from J.T. Kurbis with only 3 sacks allowed on the year.

JoshiePoo has been a great addition to the community and will likely be a solid long-term pickup for Yellowknife.

"
"Round 1, Pick 10
OCO The Orange County Otters select:
@infern8 - Thomas Robinson
Wide receiver, Norfolk Seawolves

We always knew WR was going to be competitive in this draft, but seeing so many receivers come off the board in the first round only reinforces the league-wide need and the depth of this class. Norfolk sees another early pickup from their squad in Thomas Robinson, one of the top-5 receivers just about any way you cut it, hosting a 1,000+ yard season and 9 TDs in their rookie debut.

User infern8 has been an active member of the community since joining up and shows great promise to stick around for the long haul. OCO needs all the help it can get on offense around the edges, so an early pickup of a WR here doesn't seem like a bridge too far.

"
"Round 1, Pick 11
@Twenty6 - Quendyn Quarterstorm
Safety, London Royals

Chicago double dips on defense and somehow lands one of the top safeties in the draft near the bottom of the first round. Between this pick and Xavier Valorian, they've already massively upgraded their defense for the long-term. Twenty6 is yet another active new user with great long-term potential, not to mention the fact their player has already capped on TPE (255) for the DSFL. Solid developmental talent for the Butchers.

"
"Round 1, Pick 12
ARI The Arizona Outlaws select:
@yesboom - Ignatius Reilly
Linebacker, London Royals

Reilly was arguably one of the top LBs in S35 for a team that was just a few breaks away from making a real playoff run. yesboom ignited both the defense and the LR for the Royals, which will almost certainly be replicated for the Outlaws. With few real glaring holes on the roster, Arizona gets a great player/user pickup in Reilly, who tied the lead for tackles (121) with fellow first-rounder Chucky.

"
"Round 1, Pick 13
NOLA The New Orleans Second Line select:
@Punk42AE - JR Frankenstero
Defensive end, Dallas Birddogs

I thought this pick might have been Fordhammer, though in reality NOLA really couldn't go wrong either way. They needed a DE and they somehow landed one of the top picks in this draft in JR Frankenstero, despite the need from other teams to bolster their D-lines. Frankenstero had 10 more tackles than the next leading defensive lineman and was T-8th in sacks (9) on the year. Punk should bring great long-term depth to a defense that needs all the help it can get.

"
"Round 1, Pick 14
BAL The Baltimore Hawks select:
@g2019 - Sconnie McSix
RB, Norfolk Seawolves"

Grade: A-

F-! Go away! Ok, ok.. so maybe I'm a little bitter that I wasn't the first RB pulled off the board. That doesn't mean this isn't a great pick for Baltimore, who will eventually need to evolve beyond the ""what if we just let King/Goose do literally everything"" strategy if they want to seriously compete for an Ultimus again in the future. Or hey, maybe Sconnie McSix is just the first of the McSix/? duo in the future!

In any case, the Hawks get one of the top RBs of S35 and an Ultimini champion, plus an awesome community member who already has connections to the team. McSix was T-3rd for backs who had >150 carries with a 4.9 YPC, coupled with 1,262 rushing yards, 6 TDs, and an electric postseason performance.

Baltimore could have gone with a number of other selections here and arguably had greater near-term benefit, but this wasn't a bad trade up for them by any means.

"Round 2, Pick 1
@DREAMSLOTH - Jarvis Harbinger-Marjin
RB, Portland Pythons"

I assure you, I'm not giving this pick a higher draft grade just because it's me. Baltimore already has two legendary backs and I figured they could have looked elsewhere for long-term position fits. Alright, that is ALL the justification I will do. Let the shilling commence!

Look, Jarvis Harbinger-Marjin was a force to be reckoned with last season. 20 total TDs in the regular season, 1,466 yards, and 4.1 YPC. At the time of the draft, JHM was sitting pretty at 241 TPE and had a Top 200 bank balance. Yeah, you know how much g2019 had? EVEN MORE THAN THAT. I'M NOT ANGRY, YOU ARE.

..where was I? Oh, right! Lonnie Jackson was one of the top backs last season. Unfortunately, he's also on his way to the farm to be turned into bone meal for JHM. Regression stops for no man, and that includes Lonnie. Harbinger-Marjin (and hopefully me!) will be a great addition to Philadelphia as they look to restructure their backfield.

"Round 2, Pick 2
@TwoSocks - Nate Winter
Safety, Minnesota Grey Ducks

Austin continues to pick up key skill players to revitalize both sides of the ball, this time taking in future graphics phenom and current quality safety, TwoSocks / Nate Winter. TwoSocks has shown themselves as a key contributor to the community, frequently submitting and improving upon their graphics and just all around being an awesome presence in the ISFL. Austin had the fewest PDs (8) and INTs (76) in the ISFL last season, so bolstering their secondary is a smart move.

There's not a huge dropoff at safety with the next available players at the position, and it's clear Austin still needs more help on offense. I think this is a bit of a reach, but at least they're getting the best available safety.

"
"Round 2, Pick 3
@lordcoolcats - Jasper Fontaine
Tight end, Norfolk Seawolves

Grade: A-

Borgo San Lorenzo, we salute you. With the retirement tour coming to its natural conclusion, Philly has a noticeable delta between what they had last season at the TE position and what they have now.. which is nothing. lordcoolcats brings the cool to Philly, along with 13 pancakes, 404 receiving yards, and 2 TDs. It's a good fill for a team that needs to address TE sooner rather than later, though it's interesting to see Philadelphia take more of a hybrid TE than one of the noticeable leaders in receiving or blocking, especially with Mister Hogmally still on the board.

"
"Round 2, Pick 4
HON The Honolulu Hahalua select:
@Raven - Octavio Pérez
Wide receiver, Kansas City Coyotes

Can't go wrong with an S35 KCC WR. I think Raven gets priority over soevil or Rusfan here solely for their prowess in the community, and frankly I think they should have been the first KCC WR taken off the board. All the same, Honolulu needed a quality WR and they got one. With Cobra Kai heading into retirement, Zaylren gets a new weapon on offense to step up for the long haul. Great fit, even better pick.

"
"Round 2, Pick 5
@soevil - Austin Morley
WR, Kansas City Coyotes"

As above, so below. soevil has emerged as one of the leaders of the S36 class in the ISFL community and Austin Morley put up a remarkable season, even when compared with his contemporaries. Already capped and ready to rock, Morley can be called up sooner rather than later as a WR3 for a passing offense that was middle of the pack, especially as Vincent Sharpei Jr. and Rejoignez LordreSombre only get older.

"Round 2, Pick 6
BER The Berlin Fire Salamanders select:
@Gage2 - Tae Dawson
Cornerback, Norfolk Seawolves

Berlin has an aging secondary, so it makes sense they would take one of the top remaining CBs and a highly engaged user in Gage2 / Tae Dawson. Dawson was part of the terrifying championship outfit that also included first rounders Ja'uan Holland and Graham Harper, so seeing them drop down to mid-second round is only surprising given the depth of this class. Nice pick for the future by Berlin.

"
"Round 2, Pick 7
SJS The San Jose Sabercats select:
@Pizza-faith - Mike Scott
Defensive end, Minnesota Grey Ducks

Pizza-faith hit the ground running with the Mike Scott graphics from day one and hasn't let the pedal off since. That is fortunate for us, because not only are we all better for it but Mike Scott also emerged as one of the better DEs this season. There are glimpses of greatness here with Scott, and San Jose needs to conintue bolstering their line.

The biggest question mark here is taking Scott at this position with JRS still on the board -- while I like the pick, I feel like Fordhammer could have provided better near-term value to the Sabercats.

"
"Round 2, Pick 8
ARI The Arizona Outlaws select:
@sathona - Savathûn T. Witchqueen
KP, Tijuana Luchadores"

Grade: B

KICKER PICK! IN THE SECOND ROUND! THE FURY, THE STRENGTH, THE COURAGE! MOAR WITCHQUEEN!

Less Roberto Aguayo and more future-legend, sathona has made their name as a contributor to the community and the top candidate for this year's KP class. The Outlaws fill an immediate need when their other needs are few, so it's a great selection all things considered. My biggest critique is that Witchqueen was likely still going to be here in Round 3 or even Round 4, so in that respect this is quite a reach.

"Round 2, Pick 9
YKW The Yellowknife Wraiths select:
@Arkz - Absolute Unit
Defensive tackle, Portland Pythons

I'm still going to grade the GM picks, because I can do whatever I want this is AMURICA and I know my rights dag gummit!

Really thought, Arkz goes to the Wraiths only because Valorian was taken in the first round, otherwise I could have seen their player Absolute Unit getting selected earlier than this. Between Unit and Valorian, Portland's S35 front line was a force to be reckoned with. Yellowknife fills one of their biggest needs with a pick they have to make. Massive win for them under the circumstances.

"
"Round 2, Pick 10
OCO The Orange County Otters select:
@slate - Leandre Diarra
Running back, London Royals

Replacing Gus Bus will be no small feat, but if anyone can do it, it's slate. Leandre Diarra was far and away the top FB from this class, and slate is a well-known and loved commodity in the ISFL community. A bit high of a pick for my tastes since the universal need for RB this draft is on the low end, but what is OCO without a lifer and potential HOF FB.

"
"Round 2, Pick 11
@Fordhammer - Jean-Ralphio Saperstein
DE, Kansas City Coyotes"

Hard to believe the top DE of the draft class fell this far, though it seems like that is a recurring theme for the S36 draft. S35 sack leader and record holder (18) Jean-Ralphio Saperstein will be the compliment to the front seven that Nate Winter will hopefully be for the secondary. Austin gets a strong user in Fordhammer and a major building block for their defensive line moving forward.

"Round 2, Pick 12
SAR The Sarasota Sailfish select:
@abh89 - Harley Andrews
Defensive end, London Royals

Sarasota's defense failed their offense more so than the other way around. Fortunately for the Sailfish, their GM also happened to be one of the top 5 DEs in the DSFL last season. Andrews is capped out heading into S36, and abh has been making solid moves on the other side of the ball for Sarasota lately. Great pick for them, even if it's one they had to make.

"
"Round 2, Pick 13
BAL The Baltimore Hawks select:
@NicholasTheGreat - Bruce Buckley Jr.
Linebacker, Bondi Beach Buccaneers

So far, GMs are not letting their teams down. Baltimore reinforces their already-strong defense with another solid pickup in their GM, NicholasTheGreat / Bruce Buckley Jr. BBJ was one of the top 15 linebackers in the DSFL in S35 with a statline of 76 TCK, 4 TFL, 1 FF / 0 FR, 1 SCK, 0 INT, 6 PDs. Not exactly the highest need, but then again this team did just get within a few plays of winning an Ultimus so they're alright getting any high-value picks they can.

"
"Round 2, Pick 14
NYS The New York Silverbacks select:
@zaynzk - Bonzi Buddy
Cornerback, Minnesota Grey Ducks

Bonzi Buddy was one of the top CBs in a season full of excellent secondary play around the DSFL. 8th-most PDs (20), T-3rd most INTs (4), and T-8th in tackles (67). Buddy put up massive numbers despite the Grey Ducks finishing outside of playoff contention; it's safe to say he was one of the bright spots on the team.

The Silverbacks need help in just about every department, but especially on the defensive side of the ball. This would be a great pick even if it wasn't mandatory -- the fact that NYS lands a high-caliber player at this point in the draft that should have immediate impact is a huge boon for them.

"

RE: S36 Draft - Individual Pick Grades (Part 1) - DREAMSLOTH - 06-22-2022

I just realized the grades weren't added when I originally posted. Updated to reflect the grades.

RE: S36 Draft - Individual Pick Grades (Part 1) - zaynzk - 06-22-2022

Quote:slate is a well-known and loved commodity in the ISFL community

so we just telling lies now smh

(06-22-2022, 03:45 PM)zaynzk Wrote:
Quote:slate is a well-known and loved commodity in the ISFL community

so we just telling lies now smh

No lies detected, don't be jelly zayn.

RE: S36 Draft - Individual Pick Grades (Part 1) - g2019 - 06-22-2022

Sconnie bad

(06-22-2022, 04:09 PM)g2019 Wrote: Sconnie bad

Gib first round pick

RE: S36 Draft - Individual Pick Grades (Part 1) - xenosthelegend - 06-22-2022

Don Dobbler is the only S+ pick of the draft

RE: S36 Draft - Individual Pick Grades (Part 1) - abh89 - 06-22-2022

I refuse to accept any grade that ranks me lower than @zaynzk

(06-22-2022, 04:49 PM)xenosthelegend Wrote: Don Dobbler is the only S+ pick of the draft

I do be forgetting that S+ dobble tho

(06-22-2022, 06:08 PM)abh89 Wrote: I refuse to accept any grade that ranks me lower than @zaynzk

These grades are immutable and irrefutable. Your acceptance is not a criteria for the TRUTH.