International Simulation Football League
(S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay (/showthread.php?tid=40348)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - NamelessNate - 07-23-2022

The answer here is quite simple, weather bears no impact on any games. At least it shouldn't because we as football players should be equipped to handle all sorts of weathers, all sorts of conditions and quite frankly nothing should stop any of us. The only reason a lightning delay exists is for the puny fans in the stands, we play that out on the practice field. 30 degree weather and a 10 knot wind? I call that an ice bath in the wind tunnel weather. Nothing should stop any of us. People may say "well windy weather means you can't throw the ball as much" but no that just means your QB is weak. If your QB is weak you would have lost anyway so don't come at me with that weak whining. Weather only affects the fans in the stands and to be quite honest they should be just as tough as us if they want to drink as much beer as they do.

Code:
166 wprds

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - Dip - 07-23-2022

Growing up in two arid states, the heat has never affected me. When one of my teammates at ASU would collapse from heat exhaustion and practice would be moved indoors. I would just stand there and be like “wtf? I hope he’s okay but it isn’t even that hot.” I stand by this sentiment. I would love it if we played in the extreme heat. My opponents would be fatigued and I would run into the endzone untouched. My teammates would probably collapse as well so maybe adding extreme heat wouldn’t be a good idea. As for adding cold, I think that is when the real competitors would shine. I have always wanted to play in a snow game. I don’t think a lot of these DSFL bums could handle the cold. I think you would see a lot more dropped passes and less passing in general. All in all, I think realistic temperatures would be fun to see but I think many people would struggle in the conditions.

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - toivo - 07-23-2022

As a kicker, I am very fortunate that ISFL games are played under ideal conditions. With weather added to the equation, all sorts of other logistical issues are introduced. Suddenly, there will be a lot more accounting of wind and precipitation. The introduction of dynamic weather would likely create all sorts of headaches for kickers. Kickers really have it rough compared to some other positions. It wouldn’t be easy for anyone, but especially the kickers. I suppose there would be some teams located in areas with more ideal weather than some. Thus, we might have the standings looking a little different if the top teams have to play all their games in an area with crummy weather. Coastal areas might have to deal with issues that inland teams do not. So it would interesting to see if any of the coastal teams (New Orleans, Baltimore, for example) have to deal with these issues. Perhaps the home teams in the inhospitable places would get used to the weather and have an advantage over the teams not used to the unfair weather. (word count 180) Kahn on PBE

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - xQCFamous - 07-23-2022

Extreme weather conditions are sometimes some of the hardest to deal with as you don't know how long they are going to last and how severe they are going to get, but I'd really think it would depend on exactly what type of weather condition we were dealing with that would make the 'decision' to play or not become a factor. Something like a little rain, some wet turf, some snowflakes and even a light dusting aren't going to kill anybody. Same thing on the hot side of things, a little bit of sunshine to most with a breeze is a perfect day and probably one of the more enjoyable, but if the heat is like... heatwave type with no wind and causing sun burns, then maybe we have a problem? Same thing with like... blizzard/whiteout situations and downpours causing mass puddling/etc, essentially anything you could consider hazardeous or potentially causing some form of harm to the players, that would be where the line needs to be drawn.

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - Net - 07-23-2022

So when I think about weather, a lot of factors would play in. Some neutral places would be Baltimore and Berlin, but other places would be wild. I think if you ended up in Yellowknife or Colorado, you could be benefited by the cold that happens during the winter (same with New York), and with Colorado's unpredictable weather you could also see that factor into games significantly. Of course Chicago would have to have some elite kickers due to it being "The Windy City", so watch out for them when that happens. Philly is cold, so cold weather for them. And for heat, easily benefited would be Honolulu, Arizona, San Jose, Orange County, Sarasota, Austin, and even New Orleans with their humid weather. With this all said, we could easily see some crazy scores that haven't been seen ever in ISFL history if the weather did act up (wish it did), but yeah that about it from me!

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - Repgnar - 07-23-2022

It would be an interesting concept if weather was a factor in the games. Currently it's very easy to see how matchups line up although it does take some knowledge and experience to fine tune game plan. If weather was allowed to have an impact on the game I'm not sure which would be best. Option one would be known weather before the team plans for the game. This would allow organization to adequately prepare for inclement weather and make necessary changes based on necessity. If a team is known for their air attack but the weather calls for heavy winds and rain then it would have a greater impact which I could see as a negative. If the league finds itself in a pass heavy environment this could be a fun way to give an indirect buff to teams that focus on the run game. Another concept would be for the weather to be completely random. This would be fun in the sense that you don't know until the sim what kind of weather you're playing in. This would inherently mean teams may lean somewhat on a run game when normally they wouldn't. Overall I don't think it would change the standings up too much but run focused and defense focused teams may be able to sneak a few more games their way.

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - FootballIsCool - 07-24-2022

SHL Affiliate
Different Forum username: hockeyiscool

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - juniped - 07-24-2022

SHL Affiliate

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - Ulaire - 07-24-2022

My guess is people won't really like adding weather impact to games. Sim is well known for it's randomness and sometimes glitches. Now the weather just adds another level of randomness to the games. And I'm not really sure how it will work. Should home teams from places with extreme weather get even more advantages? Should teams suffer even more when playing in diametrically opposite environments, like Yellowknife in Arizona or vice versa? Will everything in environment count, like Colorado mountain air, affecting kicking and players exhaustion or just wind and temperature. With weather impact voting for Ultimus or Ultimini placement should count weather too now. How will teams perform in Cote-d'ivoire or Dubai or McMurdo station? It will make the home advantage in playoffs even more important.
On the other side, it will allow smart GMs to game plan for the weather after seeing more of it's impact on the sim. An esthetically wise, if you have some really good imagination, you can pretend that kicker missed a game winning FG cause of wind, or RB fumbled in snow game.

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - BenDover - 07-24-2022

Wow, the most recent home game in Orange County was not met with the usual sun, but there was snow? This is a brand new things to the ISFL world, as every game is always that perfect Sunny 80 degree day with no injuries. So when myself and the rest of the Otters stepped onto the field, we were stunned as we have never seen anything like this before, only used to the sun beating down on us every game of the season. As Orange County is a very pass heavy team this season, this would not bode well for our performance, as We would have to turn to the aging Goat Tank Jr. and the young Zane Cold, this running strategy has worked for us before, but we don't know how it will go in the snow, as all bets are off when the ball becomes slippery, and nobody can really see what's happening on the field.