International Simulation Football League
(S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay (/showthread.php?tid=40348)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - zeagle1 - 07-23-2022

I think if we are talking about actually having realistic weather in the sim, people would find a way to be as salty about it as people are about park factors in PBE. Imagine player's stamina taking bigger hits when they played in Colorado against the Yeti. Or The heat causing more exhaustion when they played in Arizona versus the Outlaws. Is there an area of the country known for being windy? Imagine the salt from users whose players are kickers when they go 0/4 in that game.

As far as changing results of this season, I personally find that most weather effects tend to balance themselves out. Arizona would still be disappointing regardless of the hot desert weather, Colorado would still be terrible even if their games were played a mile above sea level. Except for dome teams. Dome teams don't know how to deal with weather and that could cost them in toad games.

Code:
157 words

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - Vaxlare - 07-23-2022

SHL Affiliate

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - 37thchamber - 07-23-2022

Noting the "extreme" weather in England this past week -- in truth, it's only extreme for England; not so much for other countries -- and the likelihood that this would be a common occurrence in a hypothetical future due to climate change, I wondered how the game could adapt to handle that kind of temperature. One obvious change would be to the attire of players. Helmets, body armour, padding etc would all be extremely difficult to play in under warmer temperatures -- we're assuming the temperatures in autumn, winter and spring have increased here; since the game is not played in summer -- so there would need to be some way to reduce the amount of effectively insulating clothing worn during a game, to allow for more efficient temperature management by the body. As it stands, there is in fact a case to be made that changing tackling rules -- and thus, how tackling technique is taught -- to more closely resemble those of rugby, for example, there would be less need for helmets and body armour. Since these protective equipments are mostly to protect against impact injury, reducing the prevalence of impact tackles could be a way to adapt the game for warmer temperatures.

Or just use that freaky Qatari technology to create clouds and cool their weird ass desert rock stadiums, I guess.

(SHL: academydropout)

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - PurplePiratePoo - 07-23-2022

I think weather would be a good addition to the ISFL but it may be hard to implement. In the NFL having to play through weather and make proper adjustments is crucial and the teams that can make those slight adjustments will succeed. However, many teams already have a decent idea of what the weather will be like during the week and I'm not sure if that translates to the sim. I think of when the Bills played the Patriots and Belichick knew Mac Jones' little noodle arm couldn't throw the ball in the insane winds the game was going to be played in. So he decided to run the ball every single play and somehow it worked. They deserved that win however because they made the adjustments (FTP). I think it would be awesome if Norfolk had to play during some heavy rain and the game was a classic slug fest. I think we would have an advantage because we are one with the water so that might not be fair.

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - Liter - 07-23-2022

The extreme heat during games is why the Berlin Fire Salamanders haven't doing so.... hot. Sorry had to do it, but in all seriousness, the extreme temperatures of the games has taken a toll on players of the team, like me, Fred Edison. 70 degrees is too hot, and yes, 70 degrees FARENHEIT, none of that Celsius crap which is ironic since Berlin is in Germany and they use the metric system. Maybe if Berlin swapped to the empirical system they'd be playing much better. Anyways, I think that all games should be played indoor at a cool 69 degrees, 70 is too hot and I will not tolerate it, 69.9 degrees is acceptable, but 70 degrees is where my bones begin to melt, it's not fair, the league is discriminating against people with bones made of chocolate. Rain should also be banned, if the game is above 1% humidity, the Berlin Fire Salamanders should receive an automatic win, by rule. Snow is fine, everyone loves snow, let's get some winter themed games, snow angel touchdown celebrations, and dump hot chocolate on the coaches.

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - Muford - 07-23-2022

https://worldsimbasketball.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=2497&view=findpost&p=39894

welfare

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - WALDO - 07-23-2022

Well obviously we are lucky enough to play games in an internet sim league where nothing matters except for fake internet points that we earn by spending fake money we earn from talking about said sim league. It is like the circle of life but with a lot more virgins. The weather aspect of it all is an incredibly interesting idea and is certainly a good PT. We would obviously have trouble in Arizona, where the heat is unbearable and the outlaws don't play in a dome. And guess what, the desert is really really HOT. It would be certainly unbearable. Chicago and Colorado would have that same pain, except in the opposite fashion. Colorado is, and I don't know how many people know this, very very cold and snowy a good amount of the time, as is Chicago. It would certainly be a challenge to play games in that environment, as it currently is for the Bears and the Broncos. Meanwhile, if you aren't considering the weather and just the issues with travel going to Berlin and the weather issues on the flight and all, certainly has troubles. Yellowknife would have troubles as well, as again, I don't know how many people know this about Yellowknife, but it is very cold and snowy. Good thing the fake sim league we are in has no weather, that would be really bad.

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - g2019 - 07-23-2022

SHL Affiliate

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - unconfident - 07-23-2022

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=125509&pid=3244096#pid3244096

RE: (S36) PT 4 - Weather Delay - Jimi64 - 07-23-2022

Weather would definitely be a factor depending on certain player renders. For example, Medicinal Toblerone would simple melt on a hot day, becoming a virtually unplayable defensive end. Weather conditions would definitely effect kicking, and I think it would be interesting if that created another stat for kickers to max: weather resilience. Therefore there could be kickers that could better account for conditions such as wind to make their kicks. This honestly would be an interesting stat to grant to all positions. New traits could also be an option, such as Rain Monster for lineman, making them stronger in rainy conditions, but players could only choose one weather condition they thrive in. It would also be interesting if weather conditions could effect quarterbacks, and with quarterbacks being such an important position, it would be different to see them nullified for the most part in a heavy storm. An ISFL game might have to be played more like a grindy DSFL game, which are classically won more through the trenches of the run game than through big gains in the air. Additionally, maybe a team in a typically warm climate, such as Arizona, would struggle in a winter game in New York.