International Simulation Football League
(S37) Offseason Task - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S37) Offseason Task (/showthread.php?tid=40671)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

(S37) Offseason Task - GlimsTC - 08-07-2022

(S37) Offseason Task
You have until the end of the offseason to complete the Offseason point task, so the deadline will be Sunday, August 21st, 2022 at 11:59PM EST.

Quick Rules:
  • You can earn up to a maximum of 10 TPE through any combination of the available Tier 1-3 tasks. Follow the word count rules specified for each tier and keep your submissions on topic.
  • Articles, graphics, or podcasts that have already been used to get media/graphics money cannot be submitted again for Ultimus Week credit (sorry – no double dipping!).
  • Podcasts can only be submitted for Tier 1 and 2 written tasks. A podcast must include 20 minutes of discussion for Tier 1 and 10 minutes of discussion for Tier 2 about the selected topic. If you make a podcast with someone else, it must be 20/10 minutes apiece.
  • As with PTs, graphics must show at least some effort (i.e. edits must be apparent, should be more than just text slapped on an image). Make sure to add any images you used in your graphic so we are aware of what you did.
Tier 1: Long Form Tasks (Must be 600+ words)
Choose ONE for 10 TPE.

1. The Season 36 Ultimus and Ultimini have officially come to an end. Congratulations to the the Tijuana Luchadores and Honolulu Hahalua for each winning their respective championships. How did each of the finalists in either the Ultimus or Ultimini arrive at the playoffs? Were there any teams that surprised or disappointed during the playoffs? Did the outcome of either championship game surprise you at all?

2. Tell us about your draft class. Is there anything that makes it special in comparison to other classes? Where did your fellow draftees land, how are they doing? Did anyone turn out to be an unexpected steal of that draft based on what you know today? Do you think anyone in your draft class will become a hall of famer? If you’re new to the league, how do you think your class will do? Where do you think people will get drafted to?

3. For any team, certain players and users have gone above and beyond, shaping the legacy of the franchise. Choose any ISFL or DSFL team and create a Mount Rushmore for that team. Who in your mind are the four most noteworthy figures of the team’s history? Why does each one of your included figures deserve that recognition, and how did each of them make their mark?

4. “Sim gonna sim” is a popular expression in the league. Write about teams that have been graced by the sim gods and had amazing performances despite statistical odds, and/or about teams that were considered favorites but may have dealt with some bad sim luck that hampered their efforts. How much of an impact did it have on their season(s)?

5. The league has a rich and fascinating history, and our perspectives on it differ from person to person. In 600 words or more, describe any significant moment in ISFL or DSFL history, whether you were around for it or not. Describe the context, the significant members, and the events. What exactly made this event so famous (or infamous) and why does it deserve to be remembered? Events might include championship wins, the inducting of players to the hall of fame, or even a league scandal.

6. Write 600 words or more on something about anything in the league that interests you. It could be related to statistics, a league issue that you take seriously, or a niche part of history that doesn’t fit neatly into either of the above categories. This must be directly related to the league, so don’t wax 600 words about your team’s participation on a Werewolf server or something.

Tier 2: Short Form Tasks (Each must be 300+ words)
Choose up to TWO for 5 TPE each.

7. This task is exclusive to non-recreate rookies of the S35 class and later. In 300 words or more, how has your experience been in the league? Who have you met that has made your time here more fun, friendly, and exciting? Have you been satisfied with your player’s early start? What was it like being drafted for the first time? Do you have any comments or suggestions for the entire league that you think should be implemented?

8. With awards season upon us, make up an award for your player win for something not on the football field?

9. Through a random lottery drawing, you have been named the league's new commissioner for a day. Congrats! What improvements would you make to the league if you had the power to do whatever you wanted?

10. Write a short biography or story about your player. This could include background about how they came to the ISFL and how they’ve done so far, a story about their role in an exciting game, or anything else related to their experience in the league.

11. Write about your team’s biggest rivalry and what makes it so fierce. Is the competition founded in statistics and the team’s recent performance, or is it a rivalry that developed over time during the team’s history that would exist regardless of statistics?

12. Choose a team or player to write about that isn’t your own. What did they do well in the last season? Have they shown any drastic improvements from previous years? What could they do better?

13. Expansion Expansion Expansion! Tell us why you think the league should expand / not expand or include any ideas (in words) for team branding ideas you have or team locations.

14. Describe your player and/or team’s journey through this latest season. What were the highlights? What were the lower points? What might you have done differently? What are your expectations for next season?

Tier 3: Written/Graphics Tasks (Each must be either 150+ words or a graphic)
Choose up to FOUR for 2.5 TPE each.

15. Going to Disneyland! Who was the Ultimus Game MVP? Give us a rundown of their celebratory trip to Disneyland. (Written Task)

16. This task is exclusive to recreate/non-recreate rookies of the S36 class and later. The season is over and the draft is coming up. What do you bring to a team, and why should a team choose to take a chance on you next season? (Written Task)

17. Your team has announced that they will be laying ground on a new stadium next season. What additions would you like to see included in it. (Written Task)

18. Written Option: which teammate of yours is the ultimate team player and why? How does this person exhibit selflessness and put the team first? Are they a great locker room presence who encourages others? Do they play an important but unappreciated role on the team which doesn't receive much recognition for awards? Graphic Option: Create a graphic of your player with your teammate who exhibits a team-friendly attitude.

19. Written Option: If your player had a show starring them, what would the plot be? Graphic Option: Create the cover art for your player’s show

20. Make a scouting report for any of the ISFL or DSFL draftees. Show their stats, abilities, TPE, or highlights. (Written or Graphic Task)

21. What are your thoughts on the sim engine? Do you think that it is better than DDSPF16? (Written Task)

22. You’re in charge of entertainment for the Ultimus or Ultimini half-time show. What would you do? (Written Task)

23. Create a billboard, magazine cover, unique trading card, or video game cover depicting a one of the league's stars. (Graphic Task)

24. If you could create a team using any active players in the league, what would that team look like? Would you build a group of all-stars to contend in the next Ultimus, or a team full of jokesters for the fun of it? Describe the roster and why you chose the players you did. (Written or Graphic Task)

25. Imagine your current position was not available to be picked when you created your player. What other position would you have picked, and why? (Written Task)

26. Football is a game that has been going on for a while, loved by fans all over. But what if you were able to make some rule changes? Talk us through your new version of football, and what would be different and why? (Written Task)

27. What team do you think has the best branding in the league? What team do you think could use a refresh? Why? (Written or Graphic Task)

28. Choose one existing award. Tell us why you think a certain player should win that award this season. Stats, or anything else possible should be used to support your case. (Written or Graphic Task)

29. Awards have been a subject of controversy for a while in the league. Tell us your ideas on how awards process can be fixed. (Written Task)

30. Affiliate PT from either SHL/PBE/WSBL. The Weeks must match with the timeframe of this Offseason Task. And you may only use a max of 1.

Please contact a member of the PPT team if you need clarification on any of the prompts or need help with anything listed here in general!

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - Rusfan - 08-07-2022

Mandrews had a more than acceptable rookie season as the team leader in yards in his rookie year as the head of a 4 headed-monster with fellow rookies Octavio Perez, Zaphrod Beeblebrox, and Austin Morely. After that team's rookie season ended and the squad was each drafted to a different team in the pro league, Beeblebrox was immediately called up to the Austin Copperheads and ended his season 2nd in receiving yards on the Copperheads and as the leading rookie receiver in yards and 2nd in rookie receiving TDs.

The 3 remaining receivers on Kansas City all broke 1000 yards in S36 but with the removal of one of the top targets in the offense one receiver truly took advantage of the production vacuum and that was Mandrews McHollywood. Mandrews rookie season had a slash line as such: 57 catches/1015 yards/6 TDs. His followup campaign? 75 catches/1312 yards/11 TDs. A second straight season topping the Coyotes receiving core in yards and scores. An entire year maxed on TPE paid off, and week after week of consistent play helped the Coyote offense top the league in yards and scoring.

Another facet of Mandrews’s game that topped the league was his return skill. 37 returns for a league leading 827 yards and a touchdown averaging 22.4 yards per return, tied for 3rd in the league. On punts he returned 17 for 124 yards ranking 4th in the league on punt average at 7.3 with one return that went all the way to the one yard line. With all this in mind I have 4 awards I believe Mandrews McHollywood should get at least a nomination for:
Offensive Player Of The Year
Wide Receiver Of The Year
Returnman Of The Year
Offensive Performance Of The Year-Week 13 vs Dallas
Now In my opinion he should definitely win Returner and OPER of the year. I’d like for him to win all 4 four but I doubt he topps Calvin Spiff, or Ollie O’Donnell, or C.G Breezy. Now I’d like to go through each game and track his stats week by week.

Week 1-@ Royals
5 Catches, 91 Yards
Mandrews’s first game of the year and the most yards of any receiver on the Coyote’s core, but no score
Week 2-Vs Pythons
5 Catches, 61 Yards, 1 TD
An extremely high scoring game for both squads and Mandrews’s first score of the year on offense, and his one kick return touchdown of 105 yards, the longest return of the year.
Week 3-@ Grey Ducks
7 Catches, 43 Yards, 2 TDs
Another 2 TDs but even less yardage. Both scores on the 1 yard line making McHollywood one of the leagues best jump-ball receivers.
Week 4-Vs Seawolves
5 Catches, 83 Yards, 2 TDs
The first win of the year for Kansas City and Mandrews’s best performance yet. Good yardage and 2 redzone TDs.
Week 5-Vs Buccaneers
5 Catches, 127 Yards, 1 TD
Another week and the new top performance of the year with a 58 yard TD full of explosiveness.
Week 6-@ Birddogs
5 Catches, 79 Yards
I’d say his worst game so far, no scores and the 3rd least amount of yards on the team.
Week 7-@ Luchadores
6 Catches, 120 Yards
A surprising game with great yardage but somehow no scores, a near comeback attempt that fell just shy.
Week 8-Vs Royals
4 Catches, 42 Yards
A bad game all around London just shut down the passing offense of KCC, McHollywood included. 4 grabs and only 42 yards so almost no YAC.
Week 9-@ Pythons
9 Catches, 144 Yards, 1 TD
A great game tied with Perez for most yards and one TD, and still couldn’t beat the Pythons. Another game with the TD coming from inside the redzone, with McHollywood showing a surprisingly small amount of explosiveness for a player in the DSFL with 90 speed.
Week 10-Vs Grey Ducks
7 Catches, 104 Yards, 1 TD
A 100 yard game that somehow was beaten by the teams TE Virginia Emmett, and a TD from 3 yards out that must have been from a fade route.
Week 11-@ Seawolves
4 Catches, 101 Yards
Just topping 100 yards the explosiveness is back but no score.
Week 12-@ Buccaneers
5 Catches, 72 Yards
2 receivers topped 100 yards on KCC and neither was McHollywood.
Week 13-Vs Birddogs
4 Catches, 189 Yards, 3 TDs
The game of the year. 189 yards and 3 TDs on only 4 catches. Nobody had a more efficient game. With roughly 2 drops and 3 more unsuccessful targets he had a real shot of 200+ yards.
Week 14-Vs Luchadores
4 Catches, 56 Yards
A disappointing climax but a good win for the team to give them their only win streak of the year and top 1300 yards for McHollywood.

(797 Words)

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - DREAMSLOTH - 08-07-2022

OT Pass: https://forums.sim-football.com/polls.php?action=showresults&pid=39

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - PugWalrus - 08-07-2022

OT pass: https://forums.sim-football.com/polls.php?action=showresults&pid=39

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - Chucky - 08-07-2022

OT PASS

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - Twenty6 - 08-08-2022

150+ words; 2.5 TPE

Quote:20. Make a scouting report for any of the ISFL or DSFL draftees. Show their stats, abilities, TPE, or highlights. (Written or Graphic Task)

Joseph Reed, the starting nose tackle of the London Royals, is a monster of a man.  This guy has a motor that just will not quit and has the most selfless personality.  The nose tackle position is not flashy and often thankless as you're often required to engage two blockers so your teammates can make plays.  Reed does this without complaint, though.  He is the supreme team player, and when the coach decided that putting him on at the end of the line was a better strategically, Reed accepted this new role with open arms and flourished.  From the right defensive end position, he racked up 39 tackles, 13 of which were tackles for loss, and 8 of which were sacks.  As if those numbers weren't already stellar, Reed did all of this without missing a tackle.  The big man had a 100% tackle rate and was the only defensive lineman last season to accomplish this (minimum of 800 snaps).

[160 words]

150+ words; 2.5 TPE

Quote:25. Imagine your current position was not available to be picked when you created your player. What other position would you have picked, and why? (Written Task)

Safety is my favorite position in football, which is why I chose it as my first ever player.  Fortunately, I also like LB (specifically MLB) and TE, so if safety had not been available, I would have gone with Coverage LB next; and if that were not available, Possession TE.  I like safeties because they're typically the last line of defense and they have a Jack-of-all-trades nature.  I feel like Coverage LB is similar to that; they're like the all-around type of player but in the second level.  On the other side of the ball, I would've chosen Possession TE because they're like the all-around players on offense.  They can line up as a lineman, line up outside as a receiver, and even line up in the backfield as a fullback.  As you've probably picked up on the trend, I prefer positions/archetypes that aren't one-dimensional.  Having multiple roles brings more flavor to the position.

[154 words]

150+ words; 2.5 TPE

Quote:27. What team do you think has the best branding in the league? What team do you think could use a refresh? Why? (Written or Graphic Task)

I can't choose a best.  So many of these logos are ridiculously good.  I'm just going to stick with the ISFL because that pool already has too many goodies.  The first one I was drawn to was the Wraiths.  Then when I learned their location of "Yellowknife," that made them sound even cooler.  Honolulu's field is amazing.  You would think the design would be too crowded with all that stuff on the field, but it kind of works.  Then there's the Taco Bell bell.  Who can resist the lure of that bell?  All the animal ones are just plain CLEAN.  The only one I would change is New Orleans Second Line.  The logo/banner is very well done, but the name is... meek, I guess?  The message and idea are cool, but I don't know whether it fits as a team name.  Like, week one you're going against specters!  Week two, deadly sneks!  Week three, we're playing... some randos in a parade?  I like the color scheme, but the name's gotta change.

[171 words]

150+ words; 2.5 TPE

Quote:30. Affiliate PT from either SHL/PBE/WSBL. The Weeks must match with the timeframe of this Offseason Task. And you may only use a max of 1.

WSBL Affiliate

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - TheHammer43 - 08-08-2022

TIER 1  Option 6

When I first joined this league I really didn't know what to expect! It was super intimidating at first and I felt like every mistake I made was going to piss someone off, but luckily for me that wasn't that case, everyone has been super nice and I don't believe I've run into one mean or even slightly rude person and to me that can really make it or break it! Even since day one everyone has been super helpful and welcoming and because of that I now want to become a GM and pass the niceness around! And that is something I really wanted to touch base on, the kindness of everyone in the league. It really has made a difference for me and I guarantee it can be a difference for every new comer in the league! 

I've just started my first rounds of scouting and I really try and push for niceness right off the bat! I was really nervous at the beginning of my ISFL career and if it weren't for the open arms of some of the people scouting I don't really know if I would have made it as far as I have! If all of the scouts could be as nice as the few unnamed scouts that I have encountered I think we'd see a lot of people stick around long term. And that's something we really need in this league is people who are sticking around long term and having lengthy careers, and also helping recruiting wise! I'm not one hundred percent sure if we have a reward system on the go already but it could be a great incentive for those looking to expand our league! 

Something to also take into consideration for newbies is that a lot of us have never been in a forum before! I gotta give credit to those who are already aware of that because some of the explanations for this can make us feel pretty darn stupid! I'll be the first to admit that I made what I like to call a lot of rookie mistakes when I first joined and I've told a lot of people this and I've gotten a lot of mixed reviews on this but most people are on my side about it, Using your phone when you're a newbie is very very difficult! If you think the forum thing is complicated when you have little to no experience walking in, trying to get started while on a mobile device is gonna make it feel like everything is in a foreign language! I would open the forum page and of course I wasn't exactly familiar with what was going on but it wasn't until I dusted off the old laptop that I finally started to figure things out! So if you are a scout and you're talking to a new player and they happen to bring up the fact that they are using their phone to do this I would highly recommend that you suggest getting onto a computer to do this! Now I know a lot of the more experienced people do some of the simple things by their phone such as Activity checks and Training but for a newbie when you open your phone and you have all this information on a tiny little screen and so many words and if you're like me and feel bad whenever you create a little extra work for those Updaters it's stressful! I think one more season and I'd be able to confidently do some of the activities through a mobile device! 

So to quick recap! Kindness goes a long way. Not everyone knows what they're doing and I appreciate everyone who was nice to me when I first joined and I owe you a huge thanks if I haven't already! And Don't do the forum on your phone!  

Thanks for reading this far!

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - High Stick King - 08-08-2022

TIER #2
Quote:10. Write a short biography or story about your player. This could include background about how they came to the ISFL and how they’ve done so far, a story about their role in an exciting game, or anything else related to their experience in the league.

I think I kind of covered the background aspect with my offseason task last season so I'll talk about my time this season.

Joining the Dallas Birddogs as the 2nd overall pick was a bit of pressure. I felt like they had spent a high draft pick on me so I definitely needed to at the very least earn my keep by staying active and doing the tasks needed during the season.

We had a good pre-season where we won 2 games and lost 2 games and although we lost our first game of the season, it was on the road and it was a close match. The teams mood was fairly high and hopeful before a string of awful losses in which we ended up with 0 wins after our first 8 games of the season. It wasn't so much that we were losing but that it was by such large margins. Even though we knew this season was going to be a bit of a struggle, this was not good.

So we come to game #9 of the season at home against the evil and dirty Bondi Beach Buccaneers. Booo!!! The players decided to have a close door meeting. What was said during that meeting can't be said outside that locker room but needless to say it lit a fire under the teams ass. We came out like gang-busters and took it to them on both sides of the field with Matthew Mara leading the charge on offense.

When all was said and done, Dallas Birddogs won 36 to 6 over the Bondi Beach Buccaneers. For once good triumphs over evil. Mara finished with 115 yards, 2 touchdowns while Scoobert Doobert dominated on the defensive side of the ball forcing a fumble and also recording an interception.

This was finally the game Matthew Mara had been dreaming about ever since he was drafted. The Birddogs managed to finish with 3 wins and 3 losses in their final 6 games. A good omen for next season if the veterans return and some new prospects can step up. It was also a nice showcase for Mara who is hoping to go early in the 1st round of the ISFL draft.

[ 370 words ] +5 TPE

TIER #2
Quote:13. Expansion Expansion Expansion! Tell us why you think the league should expand / not expand or include any ideas (in words) for team branding ideas you have or team locations.

I don't know the logistics as to whether or not the league should expand. I'll leave that up to the people getting paid the big bucks but if it were expanding, I know where I'd put the team.

I'm sure you get this a lot but there are not that many international teams for a league that has "International" in its name. So immediately for the country, I have to go somewhere outside of the USA and even Canada. South America is attractive because it is warm but I feel bad that Berlin are all over there by themselves. So I'd likely pick a direct rival to the Berlin Fire Salamanders by putting another team in Europe. For no particular reason, I like the idea of having a football team in Amsterdam so I think I would choose that as my teams location. The "Netherlands" doesn't really flow as nice as "Amsterdam" so I would definitely name it after the city and not country.

The team name is interesting. I could go with something unique to Amsterdam to represent the nation or.... I could troll my rivals by creating a name that is in direct opposition to theirs which sounds like a more fun idea. Opposite of fire is ice, cold, or frozen. A salamander's predators are frogs, snakes, birds. So something like the Cold Toads. Not all that menacing but who wouldn't want to be a Cold Toad at least once in their career?

So branding is the Amsterdam Cold Toads. The colours would be 3 different shades of blue although focussing on the darker shades more with black and florescent pink as the random accent. The jerseys would be primarily really dark blue with light ice blue accents and splashes of pink elements. The stadium name will be affectionately referred to as The Stool by the fans.

Sign me up, I'm loving this idea. Let's do this!

[ 319 words ] +5 TPE

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - MikeWhiskey - 08-08-2022

Quote:6. Write 600 words or more on something about anything in the league that interests you. It could be related to statistics, a league issue that you take seriously, or a niche part of history that doesn’t fit neatly into either of the above categories. This must be directly related to the league, so don’t wax 600 words about your team’s participation on a Werewolf server or something.

As someone who is brand new to both the ISFL and sim leagues in general, I am fascinated by most of it right now. But one thing always draws me in, no matter what game I am playing, and that is builds. What build works, is a generalized approach that maximizes gains by spreading points across a slew of skills better than just pure focus on one specific skill? As with anything, they each have some pros and cons. Therefore, I have decided to do my best to look into the engine and try to help my fellow newbs understand how to maximize our builds (specifically OL).

First thing I did, is check the game manual. For the first time in my life I am glad that developers have moved to providing online manuals, although I still wish games came in a physical box with a manual and a disk; get off my lawn you damn kids… Oops, got stuck on a soap box, moving on. According to the manual, “speed always wins” (emphasis mine). It goes on to say that this is the single most important attribute in the game for all players. Of course, this isn’t what I expected to find as an OL player. In fact, I haven’t added anything to speed, instead looking to improve strength and blocking. Perhaps I need to readjust.

Digging in more, I found the descriptions of each attribute and what they impact. This is all readily available on the forum, I have seen it before. I’ll save you from digging and copy it here: Attribute Guide I probably don’t have the ability (read: time) to start digging into builds for every position, so I am going to focus on my position of OL. Reading through the list, there are the usual suspects: strength, agility, pass blocking, and run blocking. All play a part in making sure you get and stay on your block. Simple stuff. But I notice there are other attributes that impact blocking. Intelligence and Hands both impact ability to adjust a block.

Now I think, from what I have read, that adjusting a block is going to be key to breaking open long runs or keeping the QB upright. Strength and run/pass blocking seem to be what helps determine a successful block immediately off the snap. If we think of the game as running in “ticks”, and each tick lasts 1 second, then strength and the blocking skills determine if you succeed or fail on the first tick. But after that, agility, hands, and intelligence start determining if you win on subsequent ticks. Of course, this all is speculation by me, since I haven’t seen the source code or spoke with a developer.

The idea of ticks is certainly a common one in development, it often is how a CPU advances through calculations. So running with this idea, lets start thinking about the game of football and how blocking works in it. Luckily for you, dear reader, I have tons of experience when it comes to football, having played for 12 years and coached for 9 more so far.

With football, winning off the snap is huge, this allows the OL to start moving defenders out of the way and creating holes. Of course, the defenders do what they can to prevent this, and thus the battle begins. If we (the OL) lose that initial pop, then its likely game over and that defender is in the backfield making “friends” with whoever has the ball. In rare cases you might be able to adjust and reset your block, but its unlikely. So let’s assume that is true in the ISFL as well. Thus, we expect that strength and the blocking skills are important and will require TPE.

I did mention that winning off the snap is only part of it, we also have to maintain those blocks to allow the ball carrier and/or QB to do something positive with the ball. From above, we know that agility, hands and intelligence all play a part in “adjusting blocks”, which I have taken to mean continuing to maintain the block in an effective way. So, we can’t ignore those attributes either, and they will need to get a share of the TPE.

Finally, the game manual itself said that Speed is the single most important attribute. But it did not mention how it will impact OL specifically. We can’t afford to ignore what the game itself says is important, so Speed will require some TPE. Perhaps this will impact pulling and reach blocking, which makes sense to me.

To conclude, a balanced approach to attributes in the ISFL seems key to maximizing performance, especially when you take into account the increasing TPE cost as you raise a stat. Given how many attributes impact blocking, capping one without increasing the others will almost certainly be less effective than generally increasing all the attributes.

One thing that I have overlooked here is traits. Mainly because I haven’t had high enough attributes to mess with them. But it is easy to imagine that if a trait, like say Tenacious Blocker, requires high stats to get, then it may be a wise investment versus using the equivalent TPE to increase the base attributes.

Code:
869 words

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - TheNC206 - 08-08-2022

OT Pass