International Simulation Football League
(S37) Offseason Task - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S37) Offseason Task (/showthread.php?tid=40671)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - XaveValor - 08-08-2022

You want to talk about sim luck? Okay, let's talk about that. Have you heard thr tale of the S36 Butchers? It is not one that any Chicagoan would tell you. 

Quick look at their season stats to set the picture of the truly disastrous conference championship. Coming into the playoffs, the Butchers had secured a first round bye with a 13-3 record. They were ranked #2 in point per game and #1 in yards. Led by their Running back Zohri, the Butchers would pound the dirt while putting on truly cominant defensive performances ranking #1 in yards allowed. They would hit you hard on defensive and then Zohri and Co. Would carve you up offensively. It was a dream combination during the regular season, they looked unstoppable. The Butcher locker room was incredibly hopeful and pundits across the league were seeing a Chicago Ultimus parade being planned.

But the sim had other plans. 

Fast forward to the NSFC conference championship game against the red-hot Sarasota Sailfish. Every knew the Butchers had struggled in their last match against the Fish but that was behind them and only the Ultimus lay ahead. The two teams lined up, Depth Charts submitted, players full updated, ready to do battle. And then put their faith in the sim.

Trouble for the Butchers started nearly immediately. The first drive culminated in 3 yards after a short Zohri run and a broken up pass. The resulting punt was short, only 34 yards which set the Sailfish up nicely at their own 35. Sarasota began their March down the field, picking up first downs with ease until they nearly reached the end zone where the Butcher defense woke up. A good stop and a Hall sack later, the Fish settled for a field goal and took an early lead. 

The next three possessions between then two adversaries all ended the same way: great defensive stops followed by tepid punts. But wait! Chicago found an opportunity off a Ronson sack resulting in a safety! 2 points and the ball back?! The locker room erupted in praise and excitement as expectations started to become reality. 

Now, real quick, what if I told you that those 2 points would be the only ones the Butchers would earn? They had the #1 yard earning offense, surely more points would come right? If only that were the case...

Before ending the first half, the Sarasota offense found a groove which, while unorthodox, generated points (a feat not matched by the Butchers) through field goals, earning 12 total points with 4 attempts. Before the game would end, Sarasota would complete 4 field goals and a single touchdown, testament to the Butcher defense for sure, to end with 22 points. The Butchers would never find the endzone, instead being on the bad end of 2 interceptions and a lost fumble. Nearly all these turnovers came in the red zone, a terrible fate for any team, let alone an Ultimus favorite. 

The locker room became quiet as disappointment and despair took over. Had that really happened? Had we managed to score the literal least amount of points while having technically scored? 2. That was the final number to the S36 Butcher season. 2. 

This game will live in infamy as. Ow it added yet another square to the Scorigami board but also as a monument to the apathy of the sim. The sim does not care who you are or what strength you think you have. It does not care what your record is or how you have done in the past. The sim cares about only one thing: the game at hand and the mystifying numbers that drive it. 

Do not place your trust in the sim for as you may care for it, it does not care for you. 

(625 words)

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - ZootTX - 08-08-2022

OT Pass

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - TwoSocks - 08-08-2022

OT Pass

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - OrbitingDeath - 08-08-2022

5 TPE -  14. Describe your player and/or team’s journey through this latest season. What were the highlights? What were the lower points? What might you have done differently? What are your expectations for next season?

Nova Montagne's journey this season was a rough one. After being picked up by the Royals, we expected the queen to be treated like one. But this certainly was not the case. During the preseason the London Royals learned that one of the offensive lineman drafted, were hit on their head a few too many times as he claimed to now also be a quarterback. Per DSFL rules, they now would need to team up and get playtime as well. So not happy with this Nova tried to sabotage this plan as fast as possible. After multiple meeting with the management (in which she came up with some cunning schemes in order to avoid having to play him). So Nova came up with multiple options, she would try to contact some other managers, trying to call in favors to trade for the guy, she even had permission from London Management to negotiate on their behalf and try to sell him for free if there were no takers. Turned out, there weren't any, not even free. No one would touch the guy. A different plan she had was to see if the rulebook mentioned anything about where the player would need to suit up, otherwise TE2 and WR4 felt good enough right, anything to get them out of her sight, giving her control of all the snaps.
In the end, the battle was won, the offensive line that took a few hits too many, decided to retire. Giving Nova what she had wanted all along, the starting quarterback position of the London Royals. She helped the Royals get to the second seed, with an excellent second half of season. With her best games being 3 touchdowns and 0 interceptions and 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions, she was happy with her performance this season. It's just a shame we could not beat Portland, but there is always next season.

Words: 317

2.5 TPE - Task 23 - Billboard [Image: M55hgK9.png]

2.5 TPE - Task 30 - Affiliate claim - SHL Affiliate - https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=125742&pid=3250699#pid3250699

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - TacocaT - 08-08-2022

6. Write 600 words or more on something about anything in the league that interests you. It could be related to statistics, a league issue that you take seriously, or a niche part of history that doesn’t fit neatly into either of the above categories. This must be directly related to the league, so don’t wax 600 words about your team’s participation on a Werewolf server or something.

This is definitely skirting the line on being directly related to the league, but I'm going to talk about counting. It is topical to the league, as a number of teams have counting servers that many people (myself included) are deeply invested to. This is mostly about the Minnesota Grey Ducks' and London Royals counting servers, since I am in both and they are by far the highest counts in the ISFL or DSFL. However, I will first completely disregard what I just said and talk about the start of counting servers. It began early/pre 2020, but big streaks did not begin until late 2020. This is when London's count started, and took off. They quickly took the lead for all counting servers in the ISFL and DSFL and they would not lose the lead for over 2 years. Hopefully you know which server broke the Royals' reign of dominance, but if you do not already know, the Minnesota Grey Ducks broke the record thanks to the power of a lot of time to burn and a equally unhealthy amount of caffeine. Colorado, Sarasota, and New York have exceptionally long streaks, although they have almost completely stagnated. Minnesota is a counting server that has massively spiked, quickly climbing to 2nd place after starting in early 2021. They would progress, eating away at the oblivious London Royals counting room. They did not necessarily stagnate, but the counting room heavily slowed down. THe counting scene as a whole had significantly died down, resulting in some of the only active counting servers being the Royals and the Grey Ducks. Then I joined. Specifically, I joined the ISFL, and was picked up on waivers by the DSFL team, the Minnesota Grey Ducks. The Ducks were nearing the Royals' count, a lead that had held for 2 years at this point in time (about a month ago). While the Grey Ducks floundered on the field, clearly distracted and tired from staying up all night counting, the Grey Ducks creeped up on the record. Very late at night, on July 12th, 2022, a record fell. The Grey Ducks' count reached 23877, thanks to Gragg9, Dommfl, myself, and RockbotRockbo who sniped the final record breaking number of 23877. This of course does not take into account every single user who contributed. Following this I completed my rookie task by writing a media article about it.m It would be the first in a series of currently four parts(maybe 5 if you consider this a part fo the series), Which I named The Counting Saga. Since breaking the record, Minnesota's counting server has nt really slowed down. This does not mean the counting has been smooth sailing since. Naturally, most of this was due to me, but anyways... The first stumble was THE ALARM CLOCK. The alarm clock, a feature apparently added quite a while ago, was a feature to remind people who were counting to go and touch grass. If there was not a break taken (like 5 minutes or something) for an hour there was a "small" chance that a alarm clock would appear, reminding people to go have a life outside of a counting bot. This normally would not be an issue, and people would just ignore it and move on. However, the alarm clock meant the number was not counted. This meant you had to recount the same number that was just alarm clocked. Other than that, there was only one other time when danger was brought to the Ducks count. Someone (by that I mean myself) messed up twice in a row to burn a guild save, and another error lead to complete lockdown of the counting server (it  was not actually locked but you get the point) and tons of saves were burned to replenish the guild saves. Since then, I have not an error in a suprisingly long time. seems like it is time for a whole lot of errors on my part as my correct count percentage is over 99.3 %.

Gigantic credit to @Gragg9's media 1. I would not be able to do this without their counting article.

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - nunccoepi - 08-08-2022

https://forums.sim-football.com/polls.php?action=showresults&pid=39

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - Jangorhino - 08-08-2022

23. Create a billboard, magazine cover, unique trading card, or video game cover depicting a one of the league's stars. (Graphic Task)
[Image: uw_tsk_23.png]

20. Make a scouting report for any of the ISFL or DSFL draftees. Show their stats, abilities, TPE, or highlights. (Written or Graphic Task)
[Image: UW_TSK_20.png]
19. Graphic Option: Create the cover art for your player’s show
[Image: UW_task_18.png]

28. Choose one existing award. Tell us why you think a certain player should win that award this season. Stats, or anything else possible should be used to support your case. (Written or Graphic Task)
[Image: UW_task_28.png]

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - soevil - 08-08-2022

Tier 1 Prompt 2

The S36 ISFL draft class was one of epic proportions. One position group that clearly stood out within this class was that of the Wide Receivers. With one season complete after the draft, I wanted to take a look to see how the key individuals did in terms of TPE (as of last update on TPE tracker), stats, etc.

AUS  Zaphod Beeblebrox - 1st round, 2nd overall - Austin Copperheads - 454 TPE - 110/1076/8

Beeblebrox left the draft as the first receiver taken at an impressive second overall to the Austin Copperheads followed by an immediate callup. Ranking 3rd in the league in yards and 13th in receptions, Zaphod had, in my opinion, a fantastic rookie season validating his early draft capital.

NOLA TIJ  Don Dobbler - 1st round, 4th overall - Second Line/Luchadores - 370 TPE - 70/1152/14

A surprise to some, the Dobbler was taken at 4th overall. Though he was not immediately called up to the ISFL, he boasted strong numbers for the Luchadores this season, boasting a league leading 14 touchdown receptions. NOLA may want to hold off on calling him up this season, though, as he falls next to last for S36 WRs with a paltry 370 TPE. Another year of developing in the DSFL might be beneficial. #reach

OCO NOR  Thomas Robinson - 1st round, 10th overall - Orange County Otters/Norfolk - 420 TPE - 75/1034/8

Another pick some might have felt was a reach, Robinson leapt up the draft board into the 1st round. Another receiver not called up, Robinson had a respectable campaign for the Seawolves, landing at 9th in receptions, 11th in yards, and 9th in touchdowns. At xxNOsc0P3zxx420TPEblaze it, ranking 5/8 in this group, he is another player we could see sent down again for another year of development. #reach

BAL  Sconnie McSix - 1st round, 14th overall - Baltimore Hawks - 459 TPE - 63/649/9

The converted running back to wide receiver made waves when he landed as the last pick in the first round. Despite having the 2nd highest TPE out of this group, McSix had a pretty mediocre (if that) rookie season. I think this is more due to the Hawks being a bottom 1/3 passing offense that spreads the ball around. I expect McSix to have somewhat better production this coming season, and I believe that this was a solid pick for them.

HON KCC  Octavio Perez - 2nd round, 18th overall - Honolulu Hahalua/KCC - 447 TPE - 81/1236/11

Perez goes back to their roots and settles in with Honolulu in the early second, which was not a huge surprise to anyone. One of 3 KCC receivers to stay down, Perez had a great season finishing 5th in catches, yards, and touchdowns while keeping up with the TPE leaders of the group, ranking 4/8. This was a great pick for HON and I expect to see Perez be called up and be a focal point of the Hahalua offense next season.

CHI KCC  Austin Morley - 2nd round, 19th overall - Chicago Butchers/KCC - 462 TPE - 85/1035/7

Morley, who MANY thought was an automatic 1st rounder, fell into the mid second despite being among the highest TPE earners at the time of the draft. Though this could have been due to off the field issues, it did not stop Morley from continuing to be one of the top earners for S36 and leading this group of WRs in TPE. After a solid DSFL season, expect to see Morley called up this coming season to really prove himself to those who passed him up. IM NOT BITTER YOU'RE BITTER FTY, FTSL, FTSJ, FTL IN PARTICULAR. absolute draft steal by CHI, second best pick in the draft behind Joe Reed.

NYS KCC  Mandrews McHollywood - 4th (!) round, 31st overall - Silverbacks/KCC - 449 TPE - 75/1312/11

A standout performance by Mandrews this season for KCC. 8th in catches, 3rd in yards, 4th in touchdowns, and 4th in TPE for the group, McHollywood is my pick for breakout player of the year in the DSFL. Expected to be called up and take a prominent role this season, he was a fuckin' fantastic pick in the 4th. Good job NYS.

PHI BBB  Derrick Prince - 4th round, 50th overall - Liberty/BBB - 359 TPE - 39/368/3

Rounding out the bottom of the is Derrick Prince. A good user who just hasn't really shown up on the field yet. Last of the major WRs selected, and it looks like for good reason. Hopefully this player can bounce back after another season in the DSFL.

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - Raven - 08-08-2022

OT PASS BABY

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - RockbotRockbo - 08-08-2022

17. Your team has announced that they will be laying ground on a new stadium next season. What additions would you like to see included in it. (Written Task)

The Quack Shack is getting an upgrade!! One thing I would like to see for the Minnesota Grey Ducks new stadium is an aquarium in the stadium that is entirely filled with Grey Ducks. I would also like to see a holographic display that displays a holographic Grey Duck that flies through the stadium. Another feature that I would like to add is a modern stadium design with a modern locker room. Ideally, there should be state of the art technology that would allow the players to reach their fullest potential.
Prioritizing the fan experience is also a must. When the fans are happy, the team is happy and performs better. It would also give us a great home field advantage whenever the fans are around. Having ample attractions, such as good food and great entertainment, in the stadium will make the Quack Shack a tourist destination and Grey Duck games a spectacle.

22. You’re in charge of entertainment for the Ultimus or Ultimini half-time show. What would you do? (Written Task)

The Ultimini half-time show has had a history of being non-existent. However, I have many plans to go ahead and change it. For the greatest sim football event in the world, I would need the greatest sim performers on the planet. Some of the greatest artists include Sim Drake, and Sim Taylor Swift. The exact artists who would feature in the Ultimini half-time show would vary from year to year, depending on who consistently tops the previous years Sim Hot 100. One person I would like to see on the Ultimini halftime show is the Sim Weeknd. I believe that he would be very popular with the sim fans.
I would also take a non-traditional approach to the halftime show. I would also let the fans play a giant game of among us in the stadium, and see how on earth that turns out. It would set the sim world record for the biggest game of among us.

25. Imagine your current position was not available to be picked when you created your player. What other position would you have picked, and why? (Written Task)

I happen to really like Wide Receiver, however, if I had to pick another position to recreate my player as, I would pick either Running Back, Tight End, or Quarterback. I generally like to be an offensive Skill position player because breaking out a big play is one of the most exciting things someone can do in the game. I would generally like to avoid being a defensive player because playing defense is a tough thing to do. You have to be mentally tough to not let any single play get to you and start every play with a clean slate.
I would also like to avoid being a Kicker or a Punter because those are generally high-pressure situations and that would be a bit stressful if I missed a game winning field goal. Even though all of these positions are very important to a football team, I would like to stick it out with an offensive skill position.

28. Choose one existing award. Tell us why you think a certain player should win that award this season. Stats, or anything else possible should be used to support your case.

The DSFL Offensive Player of the Year should go to Minnesota Grey Duck Wide Receiver Calvin Spiff. Spiff had 97 catches for 1516 receiving yards for 9 Touchdowns. Whenever the Minnesota Grey Ducks had a 3rd and long, we would always rely on Calvin Spiff to get the yardage necessary to keep the chains moving. Spiff was just 90 yards short of breaking the DSFL record for the most yards in a DSFL season, held by Ivan Toastovich. Calvin Spiff was one of the key reasons why the Minnesota Grey Ducks boasted the second most lethal passing attack in the DSFL, only behind the Kansas City Coyotes.
Calvin Spiff also rarely dropped the ball, which made him a very reliable receiver that our team can count on. If Calvin Spiff does not take home at least one award in the DSFL awards show, the whole of Minnesota would be gravely disappointed.