International Simulation Football League
(S37) Offseason Task - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S37) Offseason Task (/showthread.php?tid=40671)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - Lumosityfan - 08-11-2022

14. Jeff Newman joined the league pretty late in the season, around Week 15 or so, and so didn’t get to enjoy the pleasures of a complete season. That being said, what action he did see was quite impressive in my opinion. Newman only got to go in 2 games this season but in those 2 games he achieved 3 catches for 37 yards, an average of about 12 yards a catch. This shows that he’s able to make big plays when needed and can be depended with the ball, having achieved 0 turnovers. Granted this is a small sample size so we’ll have to see how that is extrapolated over an entire season but Newman’s excited at this small start of his as he gets ready for the draft and a complete season in the minors. His team, the Norfolk Seawolves, unfortunately fell just short of the playoffs, losing the last 3 games quite substantially; however, with the draft coming up, if Newman is chosen by the Seawolves, he’s confident that they can continue to build on this past season. I’m not sure that there’s much I could have done differently considering I joined quite late and in terms of expectations for next season, I’m just hoping to have a regular workload and see how I do over a full season. I hope to make sure not to turn the ball over and continue to make big plays for my quarterback, whomever it may be. Newman is excited for the draft process and can’t wait to see what team he’ll be on for next season, and depending on what team he’s on, his stats could look very different, but he’s confident no matter where he goes that he’ll be able to make an impact out on the field. I also just hope to be more acquainted with the league and continue to improve.

Code:
313 words

16. So teams are interested in drafting me huh. Well first of all I’m flattered that they’re interested in my services and second of all I’m going to explain why a team should take a chance on me and what I bring to a team. I bring focus and dedication to do all my tasks as much as I can, as shown in the other sim leagues I am a part of. I make sure to discuss things in the locker room whenever I have time to do so and I really enjoy the camaderie that comes with discussing results of your team. In addition, I love following the league and will be beneficial to helping understand the context of anything that happens. Finally, I’m pretty flexible with regards to what position I play on the field and so I would be a great help to a team who may need to shift around positions a bit.

Code:
156 words

30. PBE Affiliate

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - LANEFROST - 08-12-2022

OT Pass

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - Z-Whiz - 08-12-2022

17) That's crazy! My team just built a new stadium last season. I sure hope the owner is paying for it and not making the city dwellers fork over their hard earned cash. I guess the previous stadium wasn't fancy enough, so this year, we're gonna have to get even fancier. For this stadium, we'll use real grass, but we'll fly it in from the grass capitol of the world: Lynn County, Oregon. They make some damn fine grass seed and it'll be perfect for our high flying offense. Then, we'll upgrade each individual seat so it feels like you're in your own box seat. The seats will have climate control so you can be chilling in the 60s while your buddy is over there with his swap butt in the 80s. Everyone's happy! But wait, if the regular seats are like box seats, why would anyone buy box seats? Well, I'm glad I asked myself that so I could answer it. The box seats will come with their own infinity pools and a teleporter back to your house. No more worrying about traffic and parking. Plus the teleporter remains active all season so you can even hang out in the pool on non-game days.

21) I think the sim engine is far superior to DDSPF16. Sure, it still has it's flaws, but it is much better than what we previously had. It's made the league more competitive and I think that's a good thing. In previous versions, you'd have some games where a team had a 90%+ chance of winning whereas now, it feels like the highest win rates are closer to 70% range. Lowering that win rate range causes more games to be closer. Yes, the better team still wins more often than not, but it will only be by one score instead of two scores. I also really like the feature where the WR catches the ball and then runs straight out of bounds instead of into the endzone. That evens it out and prevents "easy scores". The only real complaint is that spiking the ball and going for it on 4th down are a bit wonky. But at the end of the day, I'm of the belief that the game score gets quick simmed and the play-by-play then gets matched to fit that score. Once you believe that, nothing in the sim really matters cuz it's just weird coding to match the outcome. So if I give the sim the answer of 4, instead of always saying 2+2=4, sometimes it gives me 4/2+1(2)=4. In the end, it's all the same.

29) I would argue that awards aren't broken. It's the users who have the privilege to vote who are broken. The amount of times I've heard the excuse "I didn't really look at the stats" or "I don't care so I just randomly picked" as reasons for why their ballot was so bad is pathetic. If you don't care or don't have the time, then you should be stripped of your voting rights. It's part of the job description when you apply for the job and you know you're going to have to do it. It's not like it takes hours to scan through stats to make a decision. The awards committee gives you the stats to look at. It's all in one place. Do your job. It’s really that simple. But we all know that won’t happen. So the next best solution is to just let DDSPF decide the winners. Then that way we can all blame the sim for being the sim and the irresponsible voters can shrug and say “nothing I can do” (like they were gonna do anything thing anyway).

30) Affiliate Link (shl btdubs)

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - JaytheGreat - 08-12-2022

OT pass

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - Talls - 08-12-2022

I missed the OT task poll.  So I guess ill just do it, for once.

8. With awards season upon us, make up an award for your player win for something not on the football field? (308 words)

Nick Flint is ready to go all in and try to fill up his trophy cabinet.  We all know he did not win anything in the Developmental Simulation Football League and has yet to win anything in the International Simulation Football League.  First, Flint would win the award for hardest worker, on and off the field.  Yes, he spends a lot of time trying to improve himself on the field and push his team over the edge but he also tries to learn a new skill every year.  This year, Flint spent a considerable amount of time learning the are of ant keeping.  He wants to really pick something that will turn heads and make people think "that is interesting".  He started by watching lots of videos from "Ants Canada" on YouTube.  He then started to gather the required equipment needed to start his own colony.  He got a big set of test tubes, long tweezers, and cotton balls.  He then spent a month after football season ended to build up his collection of queens.  He found all sorts of breeds but his favorite is the honey pot ants, native to San Jose area.  
After the entire offseason, Flint now has 5 bustling colonies and has been showing kids his collection to give back to the community.  He hopes to inspire kids to not only get into football, but the scientific fields.  He hoped that his new ant hobby would be the perfect connection between himself and the youth.  All said and done, Flint has donated money to the Museum of Natural History to add an entire ant exhibit.  He plans to continue to have meetups and gain sponsor ships to increase the community love of the scientific arts.  

The committee really loved the idea and thought that Flint was the perfect recipient of the Hardest Worker award.

13. Expansion Expansion Expansion! Tell us why you think the league should expand / not expand or include any ideas (in words) for team branding ideas you have or team locations. (303 words)

I know a thing or two about expansion in the simulation league space.  I think that the International Simulation Football League should not expand.  I think it would be great for teams to have legitimately 22+ human players.  I know that is not 100% viable because people would not be able to play the position they would like to play every time they create a character.  So, to correct that, I would not consider expansion until the roster capacity was above 15 on every team.  Yes, it would be nice to add more teams, logos, and traditions, but it is too easy to dilute a good thing.  The league needs to focus on creating an engaging culture to encourage everyone to remain active and create life-long friendships.  If anything, I think that the league should increase the length of each season.  

The seasons seem to be coming and going very fast.  I think some bigger numbers due to increased season length would be nice.  We could also consider looking at having more special weeks, like color rush.  We could have different weeks for different charities and causes.  Just something to shake some things up and break up the monotony of the game.  Weather could be another differentiator from week to week.  Though I believe that is a limitation of the simulation software.  Hopefully, it is in the sites of the next football simulation engine creator.

But all that said, the real thing the league needs are more new people with interesting ideas.  Something to really hold people so the league can survive post-pandemic.  I think for that to happen, the league will need to find even more avenues to take advantage of.  Maybe more international football.  Maybe NFL and NCAA "fan-clubs".  Really anything the league can do to get and hold onto people.

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - domffl - 08-12-2022

7. How has my experience been in the league? Well, this is my first ever sim experience. And to say I was overwhelmed and confused by what to do after I created a player would be an understatement. Because of the jargon that was used and not explained explicitly, I found myself not really doing much my first season. When I remembered, I would do an activity check or a point task, but I was largely inactive in the locker room and didn't really take much time to try to get to learn my way around the forum. But, thanks to the kindness and patience of good friends and my GMs @TubaDeus and @Painted, I started to enjoy spending time in the locker room, which led to my overall interest in the league growing exponentially. We are relational people, so it only makes sense that the relationships I made in the locker room are the reason I have stayed active in and excited about the ISFL. Since Painted took a chance on me by handing me the keys to the Minnesota Grey Ducks twitter account, I've found my way into a ridiculous amount of league jobs, from Dotts pack issuer to weekly auditor. Even if the league disappeared tomorrow, I would still have lasting friendships with people I've never met. I thank the ISFL tremendously for that.

Hearing my name announced in the ISFL draft (even if it was late, I think the 4th round?) was extremely exciting. It was also helpful that it happened right around the same time that I began to become serious about the league. So, @ZootTX, thanks for taking a chance on a <150 TPE WR who had no prior sim league experience. I'm stoked to be called up in this upcoming season.
The ISFL has started an addiction that has grown rapidly, all the way to joining another sim league as a GM. The only thing left to do is to somehow explain to my wife how it's just a hobby and isn't taking up too much of my time.

12. After leading the DSFL in receiving yards, Calvin Spiff is being called up to the DSFL to join a nearly-empty WR room in Yellowknife. But thankfully, the Grey Ducks won't miss him too much, thanks to the emergence of DSFL hot-shot @RockbotRockbo. With a very different playstyle than Spiff, Rockbo boasts his long speed and ability to make sharp cuts and lose his defender on intermediate routes. Even with Spiff seeing 97 receptions in the 37th season of the DSFL, Rockbo was still able to pull down an impressive 78 receptions of his own. He was also able to turn in over 1,200 yards in the air, good for the 6th best in the league. He did all of this as the team's WR2. Can you even imagine what sort of records Rockbo is going to be able to set when he is the premier offensive weapon in Minnesota? The only other active receiving option currently on the roster is a receiving back serving in a running back committee. The other WR on the roster is a 50 TPE ia rookie, and the only TE on the roster is also a 50 TPE ia rookie. The defense will have to really make some improvements in stopping the run, but more than likely, Minnesota will be playing from behind for a good part of the season. That will be the perfect situation for a receiver of Rockbo's caliber. Already capped, Rockbo will be able to take close to 40% of the team's targets and turn that into a statistically historical year. On a young team, Rockbo will be the brightest silver lining you've ever seen. For those of you in the ISFL dynasty fantasy football league, you might want to make some room on your bench for when he gets called up next season. I already have him on my bench (and no, he's not moving).

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - yonggarius - 08-13-2022

10. ISFL is in no shortage of unique players. There are numerous players with creative names and backgrounds. Simon the Frog is another one of those players. As his name indicates, he is a frog. Well, a human-frog hybrid to be exact. His skin is green, he is more flexible than others and he soemtimes has a craving for insects. Simon came to be in this unique shape owing to a freak accident in his youth involving a mad scientist in Korea. After that he was sent to the states for high school -and more- education, and was enrolled into the football program. Because of his froggy conditions, Simon was a natural cornerback. As a player with small but flexible build, he became known as a "sticky" player through high school at Highland Park, Dallas and his college career with the Oregon Ducks. That reputation and his good performance in college resulted in Simon being drafted to the Bondi Beach Buccaneers with the 9th pick in the DSFL draft. Simon managed to grab the first cornerbacks spot on the Buccaneers' depth chart the first practice he had with the team. This was through both merit and luck. Regsrdless of how he got it, Simon held on to his spot for the whole time he was with the DSFL team, and he did well in his job. As a DSFL cornerback Simon was never a flashy player who contended for CBOTY awards or records, but was a team player who made essential plays for the squad when needed. The Yellowknife Wraiths rated Simon -especually his value as a team player- highly, and as a result drafted him with the second overall pick of the S34 ISFL draft. After joining his big league squad after an additional season with the Buccaneers, Simon is currently still trying to be a good asset to the team as the second cornerback in the roster. (318)

13. When you say "expansion", I say "no". Yes, the situation is that clear-cut. First off, DSFL expansion is completely out of picture. That league is far more closer to contraction than it is closer to expansion. To be entirely honest, if larger classes -classes with more than 100 members- regularly came in after S25, we might've be seeing a 10 team DSFL at current day. But alas things didn't work that way. The abolition of social distancing had people leave internet spaces for real life experiences, and thus our league suffered. Multiple classes of less than 50 prospects came by, and the DSFL was dangerously close to contraction in multiple occasions. Fortunatley large classes which came in when we were most needy -especially the last r/nfl class- alleviated that concern for the time being, the DSFL is always likely to delve into a similar situation after a couple weak draft classes.
Things are not that different in the ISFL. Under status quo, many rookies find it easy to find an open starting spot as long as they're not in crowded position groups such as WR or RB. And even in thise cases there's room for first year rookies if a team plans their move carefully. This means that the player depth of ISFL is not that deep. ISFL also suffered from the weak draft classes in the past. And while it seems like they were less affected than DSFL, their wounds last longer. I feel like a lot of ISFL teams barely manage to feel their needs in any given draft. Expansion should only be considered when teams are drafting for depth, and rookies are basically unable to get a starting spot in the ISFL. The situation of the league now doesn't match that description, and it's closer to the polar opposite in some cases. So we should refrain from expanding for the time being, and conserve the overall strength and player depth of the league. That way we can expand in a healthy way when the time comes. (340)

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - AK41 - 08-13-2022

Zavier Perkins- LB

7. (332 Words)

Stepping into the ISFL gridiron for the very first time (or into the discord, however you want to look at it) has been exciting so far, and a very quick turnaround to learn the league prior to my upcoming DSFL draft. I joined ISFL as a recommendation from a handful of friends and teammates that I have met through PBE and we have become a close knit group. I joined with one of my good sim friends Eric Belmont and although it has been a quick turnaround, we have been picking up the league rather quickly. So far I have yet to see my player on the field, although that should change this afternoon. Having been in ISFL just over 24 hours I still have yet to make it into any preseason action but tonight will be my first taste of the gridiron entering the rookie showcase in preparation for the upcoming DSFL draft. Having built a linebacker, and having player linebacker through college, I know the needs and demands of the position so I have been able to build and start upgrading my player to be as competitive on the field as possible. Although it is still quite early in my career, I can guarantee I will be an Allstar year after year and my goal is to lead the league in tackles season after season. As the time for the DSFL draft approaches, I have been fielding interviews from many GM’s and I feel relatively confident that they are high on my activity and impressed with what I can bring to an organization. I plan on being a max earner year after year and know I will be able to contribute to my team at the highest of levels.  So far my transition into ISFL has been seamless, I have asked a few questions and everyone has been helpful and welcoming. I am looking forward to the upcoming draft but more importantly, starting my career at the highest of levels.

10. (415 Words)

Zavier Perkins was born down in the bayou. He was born to a family of farmers and his work ethic is blue collar and his passion is often unmatched. Throughout his youth, Zavier always had a passion for football, picking up the old pigskin at any chance he got, practicing drills in the back fields and lining up against the neighborhood boys trying to fine tune their craft. While young life was never easy, working on his parents farm trying to help the struggling family in any way he could, Zavier was never shy to show up the older kids wirh his divine football prowess. Through high school, Zavier was always the biggest, fastest, strongest kid with the most natural and raw untapped potential. His coaches were always amazed by the plays he made, the skills he learned and the talent and hustle he brought to the field daily. Although Zavier spent many nights helping his parents on the farm, he was always the first on the field, and the last off the field. Spending any of his spare time practicing ladder drills, running for additional conditioning, or hitting the weight room trying to put power his opponents. Xavier never truly understood his passion and talent until the middle of his junior year or high school. Zavier’s parents landline was ringing off the hook non stop with coaches from al level of college attempting to lure Zavier into their school for a visit and a recruiting pitch. Throughout the entire process, Zavier received 47 offers from major division I schools across the country. Regardless or the hype, Zavier knew there was only 1 school for him, and rhat school was considered home. Louisiana State University, the home of the tigers, built in the bayou and the passion ran tried and true through everyone’s bones. Zavier knew that was the place for him not only to thrive on the football field, but also in the classroom. Through his career at LSU, Zavier was able to break the NCAA tackle record with 563 tackles over 4 years as well as sitting 3rd on the leaderboard all time with 51 career sacks. Through all the trials and tribulations of college football, Zavier knew he could never give up. Now as he continues to train, he is only days away from the DSFL draft and not only is he excited, but he’s determined and ready to make ANY team who passed on him in the draft regret their decision.

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - y2bobman - 08-13-2022

PBE link

RE: (S37) Offseason Task - seafreddy - 08-13-2022

30. PBE Affiliate[url=https://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=27231&view=findpost&p=487825][/url]

17. The Sarasota Sailfish are getting a new home! Chunk Light Tuna Stadium will be the nomer of the 4.5 BILLION dollar super arena. It’s more like a theme park than a football stadium. Of course, at the center of the 250 Acre facility is an ACTUAL football stadium. Hosting a mere 25,000 seats, each seat is a La-Z-Boy recliner with built-in cupholder, massager, and heater. For hot days, neck fans are available upon request. The Sailfish did not oppose only 25,000 seats, due to the state-of-the-art first-time-ever ground level concourse! That’s right, the ground level seats will all be standing! So the stadium will be packed with a loud and rowdy most pit on the lowest level, with acoustics designed to amplify the sound of the mob throughout the playing field. So rich people get your asses in the recliners up high and let the average joes scream their hearts out every Sunday.

Code:
156 words

8. Congratulations to Mistah Freddy of the Sarasota Sailfish for winning the CTE Chess Championship this offseason! This unimpressive undertaking pairs athletes from sports that accrue significant head damage against each other in the most beautiful, mind-bending game ever existed. The 4 round tournament was held in Madrid, alongside the Candidates tournament (an actual chess tournament that actually matters). In round 1, Freddy was paired against teammate and fellow ISFL-er Don’t Draft. Freddy was able to crush Draft with a beautiful King’s Indian on the black side after Draft blundered his Queen on move 8. Round 2 saw Freddy paired against Rugby Player Donald Arronson from New Zealand. The two were locked in an epic Ruy Lopez battle, until finally Freddy broke through with a bishop sacrifice on H3 and finished of Arronson with a forced mating combination. The semifinals featured Freddy vs. UFC fighter Javier Lopez of Cuba. Channeling the best of Capablanca, Lopez had Freddy on the ropes when reaching time control, but one wrong move allowed Freddy to equal and then grab an extra pawn, which the looming Defensive Tackle took to victory in the end-game. After all the drama of the semifinals, the audience was geared up for a majestic finale between Freddy and boxer Fyson Trury of the UK, but Trury’s CTE must’ve got the best of him as Freddy pulled a simple 4-move checkmate to hoist the coveted (amongst these people) not-so-braindead trophy. When asked what he would do with his winnings (10,000 dollars to charity of their choosing), Freddy announced he would donate to the chess club of Scranton, PA, where he grew up. “If it wasn’t for chess, I wouldn’t be in the ISFL,” said Freddy after his victory. “It’s a beautiful game that every child should have a chance to learn and play.”

Code:
302 words