International Simulation Football League
*Canadian Rules in the ISFL? - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Canadian Rules in the ISFL? (/showthread.php?tid=40775)

*Canadian Rules in the ISFL? - TheHammer43 - 08-12-2022

Here are some of my thoughts on how the ISFL would do if they did a Canadian rules game for whatever reason I obviously know that wouldn't happen but I'd like to just spread some knowledge and give a good read and some giggles. Leave a comment and let me know what you think! So here we go!

Okay so first lemme break it down for ya. 
   First things first Football is Canadian invented sport for those who were wondering why Canada has such weird rules for football! Link here to fact check me Wink 

The Canadian Football league has many different rules from American Football below are some rules that might blow your mind or even make you a little triggered. 

• Three downs instead of four. This was originally how many downs were in football including American up until 1912.
  • Canadian Football fields are one hundred and ten yards long, sixty five yards wide and the end zones are twenty yards. An American Football field is one hundred yards long and fifty three and a half yards wide with ten yard end zones.
  • Field goal post are located at the front of the end zone not the back. This is due to the size of the end zone, the distance is about the same for kickers. 
  • CFL has twelve players on field instead of eleven. Twenty Four players on a field in total. Canadian football has what's known as two Half backs and a Safety.
  • In Canadian Football you can score one point or a "Rouge" This is done by kicking the ball through the end zone during a field goal, Or having a player on the opposite team kneel in their own end zone. 
  • The CFL does NOT have a fair catch rule, instead they have a five yard rule when returning the ball. The returner gets this five yard zone known as "the halo" when the ball is received by the returner if any player on the punting team is in the halo they receive a fifteen yard penalty from where the receiver is tackled. 
  • When punting if a player lines up behind the punter and manages to get to the ball before the receiving team, it's their ball.
  • This is one of my favorite rules, coaches can challenge bad pass interference calls! Thought your receiver could have caught the ball but a clear pass interference prevented him from getting it? and the ref missed it? Throw the challenge flag!
  • Overtime rules are very similar to NCAA rules. Coin toss winner can pick offense or defense first, Ball is placed on the opponents thirty-five yard line, Offense scores, the other team gets a chance to score but if they don't they lose, but if the defense scores game is over. 
  • There is Eighteen regular season games starting in June and ending in early November
  • This one gets a lot of people, Receivers can get a running head start before the ball is snapped. Obviously they have to be behind the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped or its offside.
=======================================================================================================================

Now that we got all of that out of the way, Do I think everyone would enjoy this? Probably not. Not everyone likes these rules in fact on many occasions I've been told these rules are dumb and pointless. Ow that hurts eh? Well that's what came first! I personally would love to see this happen just one time to see how it would work out in the sim but I think we all know just how difficult it would be to make it happen, in fact I don't think there is a single simulator that has this option. 
    Personally I think it would be super interesting! Just to see how the sim would handle the whole thing, I know that's a lot of rules to fit into one simulator but if it could be done I think it'd be fun to see how it plays out!
   I understand this is a incredibly bias opinion but hear a brother out okay!? Just curious to see how everything would turn out. Unfortunately this game is highly dependent on field goals! A lot of games are decided by a game winning field goal! Also all those games where you lose by one point can be fixed real easy if you can manage to get close enough to kick the ball through the end zone.
I think even if we were to try it, it would frustrate like ninety percent of the league, I think a lot of people would be very optimistic about the idea but the rest would be "That's dumb" "Why only three downs?" "How are we supposed to score" and yea as a Canadian football league lover it can be very upsetting but I agree sometimes it is very difficult, but who doesn't like a challenge? This opens up for a whole new style for everyone to play. Lot more long passes and a lot more speed! A big part of the game is having super fast players on both sides of the ball. Gotta compensate for all the extra field right? Having fast players at every position, yes even linemen can make or break your team! Gotta be able to cover a lot more field when your on defense as well, Yes you have that one more player on your team but there's a lot more room to get open with the extra amount of field. Now you may think that only Canadians play in the league but that's not the case! A lot of players who didn't make the NFL will go to the CFL and if you don't understand the rules it can really mess with you! There are rules set in place that you must have a certain amount of Canadians on your roster or else I think just about every single roster would be overflowing with American players who could have been in the NFL. Rule states that there is a maximum of twenty American players, minimum of two global players (like Europeans) and a minimum of twenty one national players(meaning Canadian),

With all this set I'd like to know if you think having one game with CFL rules would be enjoyable? Leave a comment of what you think!

RE: Canadian Rules in the ISFL? - Kyamprac - 08-12-2022

[Image: fk1QGje.jpg]

RE: *Canadian Rules in the ISFL? - oilmandan - 09-19-2023

Love it! Set it up asap. I’ll even throw my hat in to be a GM. And play as a Slotback