International Simulation Football League
*What the Hell Just Happened? - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *What the Hell Just Happened? (/showthread.php?tid=41591)

Pages: 1 2

*What the Hell Just Happened? - infern8 - 10-07-2022

[Image: lmap.PNG]
Sorry Infinite.

PART I: Predraft

Let's start from the beginning.

1. OCO  CHI 
https://forums.sim-football.com/showthread.php?tid=39908
and, of course, its brother:
https://forums.sim-football.com/showthread.php?tid=40231

Way back in S36, for some reason, CHI and OCO swapped OCO's S38 R3 for some cap space. Why? Hell if I know. Especially since they made the exact same trade, but going the other way, later into the season. So, in the end, literally nothing happened. But it involves an S38 pick, so I'm counting it.

2. BER  SJS
https://forums.sim-football.com/showthread.php?tid=40374

Berlin picks up SJS's first rounder in the S37 draft in exchange for Berlin's S38 3rd and BamBam McMullet @manicmav36, a Berlin legend who was, nevertheless, deep into regression and not particularly valuable to the Fire Salamanders as they started climbing out of the depths of rebuild hell. That S37 pick turned into Jordan Hartline @RDBSouthPaw, who is a key piece of Berlin's monstrous linebacker core.

3. HON  AUS
https://forums.sim-football.com/showthread.php?tid=40724

Honolulu offloads their S38 2nd rounder and S39 2nd rounder to pick up Ioe Torrent @Skindog44 in an attempt to stave off the regression demon for just one more season and punch through a third Ultimus in a row. Austin, meanwhile, were probably looking to dump a player who, while in their prime, weren't very useful considering Austin's perpetual rebuilding status. Honolulu's retirement home manages to make the playoffs, but the Hahalua are bounced out in the Conference Championship by eventual Ultimus winners Arizona.

4. OCO  PHI
https://forums.sim-football.com/showthread.php?tid=41036

I'm sure we'll be hearing about this trade for years to come, no doubt. Slate inherits an OCO roster in disarray, with a smattering of high-earning vets but 3 active players from the most recent four drafts combined and not enough star power to make a playoff run seem feasible. The Otters decide that a lengthy rebuild is in the cards, and start shopping players for assets. Enter Philadelphia, who appear to have built most of a contender, but are missing a few key pieces to get them over the hump and into the playoff conversation. One of those missing pieces is presumably at Quarterback, where second-year Kaguya Shinomiya @Matty7478 is earning well enough but doesn't quite line up timeline wise with the Liberty's "win now" mindset. Philly acquires QB Tron Carter @Revolution5 and LB Dominos Pizzaman @MattBake12, in addition to OCO's S38 2nd, in exchange for Shinomiya, LB So-Much Jazz @somuchjazz, S Kyzir Washington @Kw1, and Philly's S38 1st, S39 1st, and S38 3rd round picks. The league community at large goes nuts. This is the first time multiple first round picks have moved in a single trade in the same direction since S27.

The Liberty lose the last three games of the season and miss the playoffs by a single win.

PART II: Draft Day
[Image: unknown.png]

Let the chaos begin.

5. OCO  NYS
https://forums.sim-football.com/showthread.php?tid=41360

The only one of these suckers with a link, because NYS and OCO just couldn't wait. OCO move up two spots in the third round in order to send CB Donatello McTurtle @Ben off to New York where he belongs.

6.  SAR  BAL

WR Sconnie McSix @g2019 had an exciting free agency period before signing a very fishy contract with the team he was trying to leave. Makes sense, then, that Baltimore oblige Sconnie and turn McSix into a fishe. Sarasota have to give up their first rounder in S38 to get him, but I'm sure they don't mind, since they were so close to a ring last season and have now added one of the top earners in the S36 class. Baltimore is probably just happy they got anything out of Sconnie's early departure.

7.  HON  NYS

Honolulu sees their Ultimus window closing and decide to slam that window shut, hard. New York sees an opportunity to acquire three big earners from Honolulu's vaunted defense and pick up CB Modern Nazgûl @Vulfzilla, DE David Frank @IceBear32, and CB Ray the Manta Ray @siddhus, while only giving up a single first rounder and DT George Fantobens @Fantobens, a 275 TPE inactive player. Sure, Icebear has already recreated in S39, but still. The Silverbacks are suddenly very, very scary, while Honolulu has dived nose-first into what looks to be a painful rebuild.
Honolulu, after some deliberation (and some very funny trade offers), pick LB Caleb Hayden @Caleb_H here.

8.  BAL  NOLA

After losing their first rounder from S36 and one of their biggest young stars, as well as their QB Gimmy Jaroppolo Jr. @Frick_Nasty to retirement, the Hawks appear to be headed for a bit of a rebuilding session. New Orleans, meanwhile, just came up short to Honolulu in the Divisional round and are looking for that last missing piece (or pieces, it seems). Baltimore sends the Second Line some help in the form of S Orpheus Czargyros @HalfEatenOnionBagel and DE Morpheus Czargyros @captjanko, both S31 players with tons of TPE, as well as OL Franz Udo Culman-Kaiser @Evok, and pulls in an absolute haul of picks: a second rounder in S38 and two firsts. Baltimore's certainly starting off the rebuild right. When was the last time you saw two first rounders going the same way in a single trade?
hey waitaminute

9.  NYS  BAL 

Speaking of which, here the Hawks continue their rebuilding ways by getting some value for their high TPE players. Sure, TE Nacho Macho Man @NotSoGood88 is IA, but TE Lenard Graf @Trempale is retired, so in the end it kinda washes out. Perhaps Baltimore can coax the youngling back into activity. New York, meanwhile, continue to improve their roster in the very near term by adding a second 1k TPE corpse player.
Uh oh.

10.  SJS  HON

Deja vu, I have been in this place before.
Ioe Torrent exits Honolulu's locker room the same way he entered it: in exchange for an S38 2nd and some change. I can only imagine San Jose will have better chances at a ring than Honolulu will.

11.  BAL  HON

Honolulu move up four spots in the first round and move down five spots in the second. There's not really a whole lot of nuance to explain with this trade. Sometimes, as the draft is progressing, you see an opportunity to move up in the draft in order to guarantee that you can pick a player you've taken a particular liking to. In the end, evaluating trades like this isn't a matter of equivalent value, but of whether or not Honolulu's target player was "worth it." The only question is: who is it they want so badly?

12.   HON  SJS

Oh.
San Jose buys back into the first round of S38 using their first from S39. The Hahalua, meanwhile, acquire their second S39 1st, plus an additional third for the trouble. It's not hard to believe that the Sabercats' first next season will be later than 7th, but they're also two very different draft classes, so really it could go either way.
San Jose wastes no time in acquiring LB Cruella De Ville @Exilizer with this pick

13.  NOLA  OCO

San Jose makes their pick and New Orleans immediately moves up one single spot to make their own pick and perhaps to snipe a good player out from under OCO. The Otters, for what it's worth, allow themselves to get sniped, probably because they weren't targeting the same player that the Second Line were and they knew it. I was in the war room for this and I still don't understand how it happened.
For the record, NOLA did this to take RB Armor Queen @Starboy at pick #8, while Orange County wind up with WR Teenie Hodges @Billybolo53 at #9

14.  AUS  YKW

Hey, look Ma, it happened again! This time it's Austin moving up three spots for the pick of their choice. Again, much like the trades above, a lot depends on whether the target would have been there at the later pick, something which, unless you're in a war room that got skipped, is relegated to being an interesting hypothetical rather than something concrete to analyze....
unless, of course, you've got a GM in the draft, the way Austin do. Then those murky hypotheticals get much clearer, since by rule teams must use their highest 2nd on their GM. Here, Austin offloads their own 2nd rounder (the highest possible second round pick) so that they can instead use their other second rounder (pick #25, from all the way back in trade #3) to pick DT Carly Rae Jensen @unconfident. Pick 12 ends up being WR Jeff Newman @Lumosityfan, while YKW are perfectly content to wait to pick QB Gore Done Ram Say @deadlunatic, the only QB in the class.

15.  BER  HON

Oh is that what they're doing?
HON acquires their third first rounder in S39, but must give up a 2nd rounder here in addition to WR Octavio Pérez @Raven, one of the highest earners of the stacked S36 class (and who is currently, infuriatingly, exactly tied in TPE with yours truly). You have to imagine that Pérez could be a valuable young player for the Hahalua's upcoming rebuild, but then again, it also seems fairly obvious that Honolulu management have a lot of faith in the quality at the top end of the S39 draft class.
Berlin use this pick to acquire WR Really Creative-Name @Cincyfan96 and, in case you haven't noticed, are kinda cracked in the youth department. The Fire Salamanders are gonna be the real deal, I guarantee it.

16.  SJS  OCO

When it comes to the later rounds of the draft, whether or not you find players of any quality really just comes down to how effective your scouts are. On the flip side, most people tend to see late round picks as essentially IA already, so drafting players that will contribute even the slightest can turn an otherwise average draft into a monster haul. In practice, this leads to teams that think they've found one of those gems in the rough trading up with teams that haven't in order to get their guy, lest another team with good scouts get there first. This is what's happened here, as Orange County just straight up pays San Jose $2M to leapfrog BAL at #35 and pick TE Zero Gibson II @sapp2013. Here's hoping it works out.

17.  PHI  SJS

Why? Why have you done this? What purpose could this trade have possibly served? At this point in the draft only two players remain: LB Toby Knerr @Tak97, who is actually just straight up IA and only here because he's managed to make it to 59 TPE, and RB Aiden Frost LANEFROST. Why would you trade back into the very end of this draft? Especially when, once you've traded in, you pick the guy who's hasn't been on the site in a month? What good could possibly come from the effort you've put into this? Would it not have been better to have done nothing at all, than to have bestowed a false hope only to spend the very next moment cruelly tearing it away once again? Why?

Part III: I Can't Read
Wait, so where did every pick end up again?

1. AUS
  2. COL
  3. HON (NYS -> HON, trade 7)
  4. SJS
  5. OCO
  6. BER
  7. SJS (BAL -> HON -> SJS, trades 11, 12)
  8. NOLA (PHI -> OCO -> NOLA, trades 4, 13)
  9. OCO (NOLA -> OCO, trade 13)
  10. CHI
  11. BAL (HON -> BAL, trade 11)
  12. AUS (YKW -> AUS, trade 14)
  13. BAL (SAR -> BAL, trade 6)
  14. ARI
  15. YKW (AUS -> YKW, trade 14)
  16. COL
  17. NYS
  18. BAL (SJS -> HON -> BAL, trades 10, 11)
  19. PHI (OCO -> PHI, trade 4)
  20. BER
  21. BAL
  22. PHI
  23. BER (NOLA -> BAL -> HON -> BER, trades 8, 11, 15)
  24. CHI
  25. AUS (HON -> AUS, trade 3)
  26. YKW
  27. SAR
  28. ARI
  29. YKW (AUS -> YKW, trade 14)
  30. COL
  31. OCO (NYS -> OCO, trade 5)
  32. SJS
  33. BAL (OCO -> NYS -> BAL, trades 5, 9)
  34. OCO (BER -> SJS -> OCO, trades 2, 16)
  35. BAL
  36. SJS (PHI -> OCO -> SJS, trades 4, 16)
  37. OCO (NOLA -> OCO, trade 13)
  38. CHI
  39. HON
  40. YKW
  41. SAR
  42. ARI
  43. AUS
  44. COL
  45. NYS
  46. PHI (SJS -> PHI, trade 17)
  47. OCO

RE: What the Hell Just Happened? - .HoshinoIchika - 10-07-2022

I feel infinite

RE: What the Hell Just Happened? - Twenty6 - 10-07-2022

Based on a quick tally:

6 picks: OCO, BAL
5 picks: none
4 picks: AUS, COL, SJS, YKW
3 picks: BER, CHI, AZ, PHI
2 picks: HON, NYS, SAR
1 pick: NOLA

RE: What the Hell Just Happened? - Nathan - 10-07-2022

Not pictured: me losing my sanity

RE: What the Hell Just Happened? - CementHands - 10-07-2022

Ooooh! I know something about that first draft you mentioned :eyes:

RE: What the Hell Just Happened? - sapp2013 - 10-08-2022

So what you are saying is I should retire right now to cause @infinitempg the most pain?

RE: What the Hell Just Happened? - Skindog44 - 10-08-2022

Great article... For the record I asked for the trade in Austin to try and get a ring...I did notI ask to be traded out of HON but understand the necessity of it.

RE: What the Hell Just Happened? - Exilizer - 10-08-2022

Woah great summary thanks for this.
@infinitempg I apologiss by proxy for being at the end of one of those incredible trade chains haha.

RE: What the Hell Just Happened? - CptGoosar - 10-08-2022

Almost looks like the real NFL draft night

RE: What the Hell Just Happened? - Gadget - 10-08-2022

I made the foolish mistake of taking a half shot every time there was a trade. I was not coherent by the end of the draft.