International Simulation Football League
*Reviewing the Tapes of a Partial Season - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Reviewing the Tapes of a Partial Season (/showthread.php?tid=42231)

*Reviewing the Tapes of a Partial Season - kenvald - 11-22-2022

Now, here we are. The end of my first professional season. Although I don’t know if it’s fair to call it a full “season”. I was able to play the final four weeks in the DSFL, which is closer to one third of games played. Can I call that a season? “Partial season” probably makes more sense. Let’s go with that. The end of my first professional partial season. Meaning that, after graduating I was made eligible to be claimed from waivers as something that could be explained as a temporary roster filler. I’m sure everyone knows those rules. I’m still familiarizing myself with them. But that’s the short of it. How my agent explained it to me, at least.

The Dallas Birddogs were the team that ultimately claimed me to be a backup cornerback for their final stretch. I very much was, and of course still am, a rookie compared to the rest of the players on the team. And also in the league overall. I didn’t really know what to expect so I went at it with a positive attitude, with a mix of “whatever happens, happens”. The players and coaches have been very welcoming and helpful as I figure my way around. Definitely grateful for being claimed by such a good group of people. But that’s enough about that short timeline of events.

Something I like to do is review the tapes of my games to break down the plays I was part of. Looking closer at what I did and what I could do better. This is something the coach does with us all, of course. But I like to take a look at things alone as well. Not that I’m an expert at reviewing plays. If nothing else it helps reinforce the feedback I’ve received from the coach. Let’s look at my plays during my first partial season. Don’t worry, it’s not gonna be very long. Like I said, I was a backup cornerback. I was only in for a of couple plays over the four games.

Week 11
KCC Dallas Birddogs @ Minnesota Grey Ducks MIN
Final Score: 7 - 24

2nd quarter, 5:16 left on the clock. 1st and 10 on Dallas 10
I lined up on the right outside position with the task to cover #18, Rojas. As the snap happened Rojas ran straight up the middle and I immediately followed by moving towards the middle of the field. Unfortunately there wasn’t much I could do as their quarterback threw the ball to the left outside where their TE Gibson was able to catch and run the ball into the endzone. Not much to look into here. But I believe my cut into the middle to follow my man was well executed.

3rd quarter, 5:16 left on the clock. 2nd and inches on Dallas 14
There I was again. Almost the exact same situation as my first lineup in the 2nd quarter. Once again lining up on the right outside, with my eyes mainly focused on #18. This time they did a run play behind their O-line towards the right where I was positioned. However, the ball carrier never reached me as Skjaldulfsson got to him nice and quick and put up a wall. They only gained one yard. I stood ready in case they would make it through our first line of defense. But alas, we didn’t let them. After seeing the play again I definitely believe I should’ve been up there sooner. I can’t say it would’ve made much difference on this specific play. But if they somehow had made it through I could’ve been more in their face and prevented a couple of extra yards. Unfortunately they still managed to get the first down as all they needed were inches.

3rd quarter, 2:43 left on the clock. 3rd and goal on Dallas 1
This play happened on the same drive as the last. Minnesota had slowly but surely gained inch by inch closer to our end zone. We’d been holding strong and not letting them actually reach it when I was called onto the field once more. Sadly we couldn’t hold them back during this important snap. It turned out to be a copy of my very first play of the game in the 2nd quarter. I once again lined up against Rojas on the right side. But ultimately the pass went to Gibson on the left who was able to reel it in for a touchdown. Positive from my side is I feel my coverage was good. I was on top of Rojas the entire time. Who this time ran towards me on the right instead of up the middle. Perhaps that’s why Falco, their quarterback, decided to go left. But even if not I believe I played it well.

Week 12
POR Portland Pythons @ Dallas Birddogs DAL
Final Score: 28 - 27

No plays

Week 13
DAL Dallas Birddogs @ Kansas City Coyotes KCC
Final Score: 20 - 40

3rd quarter, 10:30 left on the clock. 1st and goal on Dallas 2
As I stepped back onto the field after my break last week. This was once again a play close to our end zone which had me focusing on the right outside. And for the Coyote opposite of me I saw #20, Cooper. I knew for a fact that he’s quite a bit faster than me. But since they don’t have much of the field left to run down I was hoping to be able to contain him. My plan was to back up to prepare for any potential cuts or quick steps for him to try and lose me. A fraction of a second is all they need sometimes. But this was yet another play that I wasn’t really part of as Kansas ran the ball up the middle for another score. Not sure I made the right choice to back up and play cautiously. But I guess we’ll never know now.

Week 14
LON London Royals @ Dallas Birddogs DAL
Final Score: 43 - 10

2nd quarter, 0:40 left on the clock. 1st and 20 on London 48
After a holding penalty on the Royals they were sent back to their half of the field. I was happily surprised to hear my name being called up to get out of the field. Up until now I’d only played snaps within our own red zone. I lined up on the right outside again, opposite of Manny Chester. A player I knew I could keep up with. There was however a lot more field to work with for him than I've recently been used to. So it made me play it more cautiously again. Not necessarily trying to get on top of Chester immediately. But slow it down a bit and watch the initial movements, and then react. In the end it turned out to be a run play up the left side. They made up almost all 20 yards. Unfortunately there wasn’t much I could do being lined up on the far right side. I tracked their ball carrier, Miller, but the play was over before I made it past the middle of the field.

And that was the end of my first partial season. Got out on the field for a total of five plays. Sadly I was never actively involved close to the ball on either of them. But, it was according to expectations. It’s extremely rare for someone completely new out of college to jump into a starting cornerback position. If nothing else it was extremely useful to get into one of the locker rooms and better learn how the league and games are run. Looking forward to watching the Ulti-games, the offseason, and the upcoming drafts!