International Simulation Football League
*Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it? - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it? (/showthread.php?tid=42480)

Pages: 1 2

*Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it? - infinitempg - 12-09-2022

The AI chatbot service ChatGPT has gone viral this past week - and as a teacher I've seen in my circles that many English teachers are worried that students will abuse the bot to write all of their essays for them. Now, I personally am not convinced it will work out for students - writing voice is a very key component of essay writing and many students have a unique writing voice that ChatGPT will not know about.

But what about short form writing prompts such as our PTs? These don't rely on voice as much, and they're not exactly graded on a 100 point scale. Can ChatGPT convincingly write PTs for players?

Let's look at a few examples. I've taken a few old PT prompts from the last 2 seasons and fed them to ChatGPT with a little bit of context.

S38 PT3

Quote:PROMPT: Write 200 words answering the following prompt: "It's that time of year, whether the sim agrees or not! A night of frights and treats galore! There's so many different ways to celebrate the spookiest time of here, so this week, we're gonna find out how your player likes to roll on Halloween night! For this PT, talk about your player's Halloween adventures. Did they dress up and go to a party? Visit a haunted house? Hand out candy? Clog the team toilets? Go wild!"

Your player is a Canada Goose who is running back for the Baltimore Hawks. Your player's name is Busch Goose.

Quote:Busch Goose is not one for dressing up and going to parties on Halloween night. Instead, Busch prefers to spend the night flying around the city, scaring humans and other animals with his powerful wings and intimidating honks. He loves the thrill of the chase and the fear he can instill in others.

One year, Busch even teamed up with a group of crows to pull off a major prank. They flew to a nearby farm and stole all of the pumpkins from the farmer's field, causing quite a stir in the community. The farmer was furious, but Busch and the crows thought it was hilarious.

In recent years, Busch has taken a more low-key approach to Halloween. He still enjoys flying around and scaring people, but he's gotten a little older and wiser and knows that he needs to be careful not to cause too much trouble. These days, he'll usually just perch on a rooftop and watch the humans go about their Halloween activities, occasionally letting out a loud honk to keep them on their toes.

Overall, Busch is a bit of a wild card on Halloween night. He's not one for traditional celebrations, but he definitely knows how to have a good time in his own way.

S38 PT2
Quote:PROMPT: Write 200 words answering the following prompt: "As much as we'd like to believe so, our players aren't perfect. With every win and loss, there's high emotions. With every game, there's mistakes that turn into flags and heartbreak. Every team's response to these kind of situations is different depending on the sort of discipline that team and their players have. For this PT, talk about what sort of strategies your team employs in order to keep everyone emotionally and mechanically disciplined. How do your teams get players to avoid making silly penalties or putting holes through the wall after a game?"

Your player is a Canada Goose who is a running back for the Baltimore Hawks. Your player's name is Busch Goose.

Quote:The Baltimore Hawks employ a number of strategies to help keep their players emotionally and mechanically disciplined. For starters, the team has a strong emphasis on accountability and responsibility. Every player is expected to be accountable for their actions on and off the field, and to take responsibility for their mistakes. This helps to foster a culture of discipline and self-control within the team.

In addition to this, the Hawks also have a dedicated team of coaches and staff who are trained to help players deal with the high emotions that come with the game. They provide support and guidance to players who are struggling to stay disciplined, and help them develop strategies for dealing with difficult situations.

The Hawks also place a strong emphasis on team-building and communication. They regularly hold team-building activities and team meetings to help players develop strong relationships with each other and to foster a sense of camaraderie and support. This helps to create a positive and cohesive team atmosphere, which in turn helps to keep players emotionally and mechanically disciplined.

Overall, the Baltimore Hawks take a comprehensive approach to keeping their players disciplined. By combining a culture of accountability, support from coaches and staff, and strong team-building and communication, they are able to foster a disciplined and successful team.

S38 PT1

Quote:PROMPT: Write 200 words answering the following prompt: "As another offseason comes and goes, a new season begins! As usual, your player's looking like the picture perfect athlete, but how is that? For this PT, describe what sort of activities your player does in the offseason to remain in shape and keep conditioned for the regular season. Do they go on a massive juicing diet? Go for long jogs on the beach? Perhaps they pad lock the pantry to avoid the temptation of snacking? Let us know!"

Your player is a Canada Goose who is a running back for the Baltimore Hawks. Your player's name is Busch Goose.

Quote:n the offseason, Busch Goose focuses on maintaining his physical fitness and staying in top condition for the regular season. To do this, he follows a rigorous training regimen that includes a mix of cardiovascular exercise, strength training, and flexibility work.

One of Busch's favorite offseason activities is long-distance flying. He loves the feeling of the wind rushing past his wings and the freedom of soaring through the air. He typically flies for several hours at a time, covering hundreds of miles in a single outing. This helps to improve his endurance and cardiovascular fitness, while also giving him the opportunity to explore new places and see the world from a different perspective.

In addition to flying, Busch also engages in regular strength training. He uses a variety of exercises and equipment, such as weights, resistance bands, and bodyweight exercises, to build strength and power in his wings, legs, and core. This helps him to maintain his speed, agility, and quickness on the field.

Finally, Busch also focuses on flexibility and mobility in the offseason. He regularly stretches and performs yoga to improve his range of motion and reduce the risk of injury. He also spends time in the sauna and takes cold showers to help his body recover from the demands of training.

Overall, Busch takes his offseason training very seriously, and works hard to stay in top condition for the regular season. By combining a variety of activities and exercises, he is able to maintain his physical fitness and remain a top-performing athlete.

S38 PT5

Quote:PROMPT: Write 200 words answering the following prompt: "With the end of another regular season approaching, there’s always a lot to unpack. Both players and GMs alike enter each season with expectations and hopes for the kind of results they want to see, but how often do we end up achieving these results? For this PT, talk about your expectations for your player and/or team coming into this season and how it compares to what really occurred this season. Did you and your team overachieve? Underachieve? Go the way you thought they would? Let us know!"

Your player is a Canada Goose who is a running back for the Baltimore Hawks. Your player's name is Busch Goose. Goose has over-performed his expectations as he is a very old player, and has made his way to #4 all time in career all purpose yardage. The Baltimore Hawks have also wildly outperformed expectations, as they were expected to win fewer than 2 games but instead went 9-7 and made the playoffs.

Quote:Coming into this season, the expectations for Busch Goose and the Baltimore Hawks were not particularly high. Busch was considered to be past his prime, and many people expected him to struggle in his advanced age. Similarly, the Hawks were not expected to be a particularly competitive team, with most analysts predicting that they would win fewer than two games.

However, both Busch and the Hawks far exceeded these expectations. Busch had an incredible season, setting new personal records and finishing the season as the #4 all-time leader in career all-purpose yardage. He was a key contributor to the Hawks' success, and his veteran leadership and experience were invaluable to the team.

The Hawks also exceeded expectations, finishing the season with a 9-7 record and making the playoffs. They were a highly competitive team, and their strong defense and balanced offense allowed them to compete with the best teams in the league.

Overall, both Busch and the Hawks overachieved this season. They proved that age is just a number, and that with hard work and determination, it is possible to achieve great things even in the face of low expectations.

S37 PT5

Quote:PROMPT: Write 200 words answering the following prompt: "With the end of the season rapidly approaching, there's no doubt a lot on the minds of players. But do you know what the most pressing matter of all on their mind is? What's your player going to do during the offseason?! For this PT, describe what sort of activities your player is looking forward to partaking in when the season is over. Will they take a trip out of country? Participate in a celebrity boxing match? Maybe even spend a few months learning black magic to curse a rival team? The possibilities are limitless!"

Quote:As the end of the season approaches, Busch Goose is looking forward to a well-deserved break. He has had an incredible season, setting new personal records and helping the Baltimore Hawks to make the playoffs. Now, he is ready to relax and enjoy some well-deserved downtime.

One of the things that Busch is most looking forward to during the offseason is exploring new places. He loves to travel and experience new cultures, and he is planning to take a trip to Europe to see some of the world's most beautiful cities and landmarks. He is particularly excited to visit Paris, with its iconic Eiffel Tower and world-class cuisine.

In addition to traveling, Busch is also looking forward to spending more time with his family. He is a devoted husband and father, and he is looking forward to spending quality time with his loved ones after a long season of grueling training and games. He is planning to take his family on a fun-filled vacation, where they can relax and enjoy each other's company.

Overall, Busch is looking forward to a busy and exciting offseason. He is eager to explore new places, spend time with his family, and recharge his batteries for the next season. He is determined to come back stronger and better than ever, and to help the Baltimore Hawks continue their success on the field.

I think these examples are pretty illuminating - and quite concerning! I don't think anyone would be able to tell that these PTs were written by an AI. Is that a problem? I'd argue it might be. The point of a PT is for a user to put in a certain amount of effort (even if it is not a ton) to earn TPE through league activity. Using an AI bot to write your PT for you feels a bit like cheating to me - I barely put in any work for many of these prompts, just telling ChatGPT that I was a literal goose playing running back for the Hawks, and it popped out really good responses to the PT prompts.

And yet, I'm not convinced that this is the death of PTs - or that ChatGPT should be the reason we reconsider them. Again, PTs don't take a ton of effort to complete, and so what if someone cheats a little bit to get there. It's not like they're using a word count inflator and blatantly trying to cheat the system (or are they???), they are still producing a good level of readable content that adds to a player's lore. On top of this, questions that are more specific to the state of the league or other specific situations in league events are things that are harder for ChatGPT to answer. I very specifically did not try S38 PT4 - Index Appreciation Week, because I could not think of a good way to provide the bot with any context. For S38 PT5 - Self Reflection, I had to provide ChatGPT with extra context about achievements Goose had and the overperformance of the Hawks. Was it still easier than writing 200 words? Maybe. But I still had to put in the effort to give ChatGPT extra information, and really the effort of interacting with the forum is the point of a PT, right? It's a little more high effort than an AC, but it shouldn't be a gatekeeping level of effort required to get 3 TPE.

I don't know. I think the jury is still out. I personally haven't done a PT since S12 or so, so perhaps I'm not the greatest judge of this.

What does ChatGPT think, by the way?

Quote:PROMPT: Write a media article answering the following question: "Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it?"

Point tasks are short writing prompts about users' in-game characters that allow them to earn TPE. ChatGPT has proven to be very good at this when it comes to more vague, generic questions such as "What will your player do in the offseason?", and when given context about the state of the league can write convincingly as well. However, it is unable to talk about very specific things about the state of the league.

Quote:As the world of online gaming continues to evolve, new technologies are emerging that are changing the way players interact with their in-game characters. One of the latest developments in this area is ChatGPT, a powerful language model that is able to generate responses to users' point task prompts in real time.

While ChatGPT has proven to be very effective at answering more general point task prompts, it has struggled with more specific and detailed questions about the state of the league. This has led some to question whether ChatGPT could potentially replace traditional point tasks as we know them.

However, it is important to remember that ChatGPT is not intended to replace point tasks entirely. Instead, it is meant to be used as a tool to help players generate ideas and responses to their point task prompts. It is not capable of providing the same level of detail and accuracy as a human player, and should not be viewed as a replacement for traditional point tasks.

In conclusion, ChatGPT is a valuable tool that can help players generate ideas and responses to their point task prompts. However, it is not capable of replacing traditional point tasks, and should be viewed as a supplement to, rather than a replacement for, the existing system.

Fitting that it sees itself as the good guy here.

I'm not sure how many of the words above are mine vs ChatGPT's, pay out however you feel appropriate! It's not like I need the money anyways lol

@Luke just sent me this link - https://huggingface.co/openai-detector/ - it seems to be effective at catching AI'd writing. I plugged in one of the fake PTs and it read it at 99.98% certainty it was fake!

RE: Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it? - qWest - 12-09-2022

ChatGPT

They put PT in the name. Clearly not a coincidence.

RE: Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it? - .HoshinoIchika - 12-09-2022

I asked the bot to help me solve my CS homework and it actually gave me ideas

RE: Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it? - slate - 12-09-2022

I think having one to two PTs each season in the vein of Index Appreciation Week could be good to address this to some extent. Prompts like that which rely on knowledge of specifics about the league - like "What was the most impactful trade in league history?" or "Write about a rule change that you would make to the ISFL" are going to be very hard to provide enough context for the AI to write a meaningful response. Making all of the PTs like that might be repetitive and present challenges for new players without as much league-specific knowledge, but some of them here and there can at least ensure that it's very difficult to max earn using an AI without totally redoing how our Point Tasks work.

RE: Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it? - infinitempg - 12-09-2022

Updated with a GPT-detector! https://huggingface.co/openai-detector/

h/t @Luke @jeffie43

RE: Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it? - Billybolo53 - 12-09-2022

I, for one, welcome our new AI overlords

RE: Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it? - Air Crou - 12-09-2022

I don't do PT's anymore, so idk, y'all can do whatever you want lmao

RE: Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it? - br0_0ker - 12-09-2022

(12-09-2022, 07:04 PM)Air Crou Wrote: I don't do PT's anymore, so idk, y'all can do whatever you want lmao

it's pretty liberating, you're right

RE: Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it? - slate - 12-09-2022

(12-09-2022, 09:06 AM)infinitempg Wrote: Updated with a GPT-detector! https://huggingface.co/openai-detector/

Training an AI to detect whether something was written by an AI is incredible.

RE: Will ChatGPT destroy Point Tasks as we know it? - infinitempg - 12-09-2022

(12-09-2022, 09:58 PM)slate Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 09:06 AM)infinitempg Wrote: Updated with a GPT-detector! https://huggingface.co/openai-detector/

Training an AI to detect whether something was written by an AI is incredible.

[Image: 73tcpj.png]