International Simulation Football League
(S40) Offseason Task - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S40) Offseason Task (/showthread.php?tid=43438)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: (S40) Offseason Task - Jumbo - 02-08-2023

22. Make a scouting report 

[Image: ISc1Y4M.png]

25. Create a billboard, magazine cover, unique trading card, or video game cover depicting a one of the league's stars

[Image: qmY23j4.png]

35. Create the front page of a newspaper celebrating the win or the Ultimus or Ultimini winner.
[Image: mD6AcUU.jpg]

36. SHL Affiliate - username: Jumbobone19

RE: (S40) Offseason Task - bjkman - 02-08-2023

25. Video Game Cover
- The New Cover of America's Favorite Football Game!

[Image: wQaQCrq.png]

31. Made Up Award
- Johnny Delusional Got His College Degree During the Offseason!

[Image: YOzxDZZ.png]

35. Newspaper
- This Week's Local News!

[Image: waxvTuZ.png]

36. Affiliate PT
- SHL Affiliate

RE: (S40) Offseason Task - Memento Mori - 02-08-2023

Code:
Tier 1, Task 6: The league has a rich and fascinating history, and our perspectives on it differ from person to person. In 600 words or more, describe any significant moment in ISFL or DSFL history, whether you were around for it or not. Describe the context, the significant members, and the events. What exactly made this event so famous (or infamous) and why does it deserve to be remembered? Events might include championship wins, the inducting of players to the hall of fame, or even a league scandal.

The Season 21 DSFL season was the most competitive season in DSFL history, and that season’s Ultimini the most coveted trophy in DSFL history. Why? S21 was the biggest DSFL season ever, with some teams rostering 20 or more active players, because that was the season that the league’s biggest draft class, the Season 22 class, were rookie DSFL players. According to the draft page on the wiki, 281 of the 284 users drafted in S22 were on a DSFL team.  There wasn’t another DSFL season with more users invested in the outcome of each game. The final stream of the regular season, weeks 13 and 14, is the 6th most watched video on the ISFL Youtube channel. Two more streams from that season are in the top 15, and by my count the most watched DSFL video unrelated to the S22 ISFL class is the 99th most watched video (the S27 DSFL preseason). S21 was a time where the level of league interest in the DSFL was completely unparalleled.

You may have guessed there was an element of bias in my topic choice here – the Myrtle Beach Buccaneers, the team I played for in S21, won the Ultimini in S21. I believe this season and this team’s victory was a hugely significant moment in both ISFL and DSFL history. I’m a firm believer that winning is fun, and that winning promotes activity. Obviously, not every team can win and the overall league win percentage can’t exceed .500 – but teams should be trying to win. Several ISFL Hall of Famers and other notable or successful users and players were made in part through the success of this team and it’s GMs, Frostbite and scorycory. The most obvious are the HoFers I just alluded to: 3rd round pick Octavio (later Cuco) Clemente, 5th round pick Brandon Booker and 8th round pick Bruce Buckley, all valuable users in their own right if I do say myself. But there was also Johnny Hellzapoppin (Colabear), who served in ISFL Head Office and on the sim team, Troen Egghands (Troen), a consistently active and successful user who writes incredible media, Heath Evans (Thor), who’s GM’d in the DSFL and held other league jobs, and players like Leeroy Jenkins  (dahayn), Garfield Despacito Jr. (Gwdjohnson), Brendan Lanier (jdourtled), James Angler (tMuse) who all had successful ISFL careers and contributed to the league in other ways – as well as all the send-down players the team drafted in S20. The team’s on-field success was a key factor in maintaining the positive and encouraging atmosphere in the team locker room, and when you’re winning games there’s a key link between the effort you’re putting in to complete tasks and update your player, and the rewards you reap from doing so.

This was back on DDSPF16, when low-TPE QBs were infamously bad. QB Chris Ramos was drafted to the team back in S20, but the offense was led on and off the field by the twin-headed rushing attack of Dax Frost (GM Frostbite’s player) and rookie J.B. Apollo (Apollo), and boasted one of the league’s toughest defences – led by the players mentioned earlier in addition to send-down players such as CB Rotticus Scott (RotticusScott). The team finished the regular season 9-5, tied for the best record in the DSFL. Several players from the S23 class joined the team on waivers at the trade deadline, and here is where you see some of the impact of being part of a positive, winning organisation: Son Goku (Naosu), Heinrich Kackpoo (gbfn), D.B. Jadakiss (hotdog), Hingle McCringleberry (Jmac Ncheese) and Mikel van Perkins (Pavel Pipowitsch) joined the team and all remained active and made it into the ISFL – the first three names being highly-drafted players who peaked at over 1300 TPE. GMs Frost and Cory drafted well, cultivated a great locker room, and upon identifying active, motivated users they put them in a position to flourish. Later in the season I began helping Cory test – I would go on to become the primary sim tester at my two ISFL teams – and those of us added to the war room went on to become valuable war room members of ISFL teams and in some cases, GMs. The Ultimini-winning S21 Myrtle Beach Buccaneers were one of the most talented and important DSFL teams in DSFL history, and the legacy of that great team lives on in the great users it helped to mould. 

Code:
736 words

RE: (S40) Offseason Task - lespoils - 02-08-2023

SHL Affiliate: https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=129180&pid=3319222#pid3319222

RE: (S40) Offseason Task - FTR - 02-08-2023

16. Describe your player and/or team’s journey through this latest season. What were the highlights? What were the lower points? What might you have done differently? What are your expectations for next season?

I mean I think it's safe to say the high point for both Gago and Wraiths' season are both the same, and one that is easily the highest point in the season, drafting Gago 12th overall! But really, it has to be winning the Ultimus in a dominate fashion. Winning the Ultimus is going to be any player or team's high point, but winning one in which the defense was able to hold the highest point scoring team to just 6 points, is just the icing on the cake. Especially for a defense that, leading into the final game was being considered one of the best in ISFL history, so shutting down a strong offensive team in the biggest game, might just have let the Wraiths take that crown. And another high point on Gago's rookie season, being on the defensive line and all. As for an individual high point, has to be the conference final game, where Gago was able to tie his personal single game record of 6 tackle in a game, and doing so in a do or die game, edges it out of the other 6 tackle game for Gago. As for the low point for the Wraiths, has to be the final two games of the regular season. And well the scores were somewhat close for them, they lost both of them and sent the Wraiths into the playoffs on a losing streak, which is not something any team wants to have to do. As for Gago, his low point in the season has to be during third game of the Wraiths shutout streak, as for Gago despite his team pulling off a third straight shutout, which itself would probably be the high point if the Ultimus wasn't won by them, Gago was held off the box score, getting no tackles at all. But also getting no penalties, so it's not too bad of a low point.

[332 words]

34. New players join our teams every season, so which of those new players made the biggest impact on the field for your team?

For this one it's an easy one, and no I am not going to pick myself, even though it would count. No I am going to go with the player who plays the most important position on the field, and the one who also just so happened to join the Wraiths for just this season alone. And that is Adrian St. Christmas. St Christmas would come from the rebuilding Hahalua to try and quarterback the Wraiths over the hump. And while his stats this season were a lot of the same as the previous season, despite playing with arguable better talent, he was still able to do his job well and effective. Throwing for 4227 yards and 30 touchdowns. But the thing that makes his numbers look the same, is that Hahalua he had to throw more, as they had less weapons, were as the Wraiths had a two-head running back attack, so throwing wasn't need as much, and it showed having almost 50 less attempts. But in the end he was able to do what he was asked to do, and performed well in the Ultimus, which helped deliver the championship back to Yellowknife.

[195 words]

36. Affiliate PT from either SHL/SSL/PBE. The Weeks must match with the timeframe of this Offseason Task. And you may only use a max of 1.

SHL Affiliate - Username is TheNextGreatOne

RE: (S40) Offseason Task - C9Van - 02-09-2023

19. Your team has announced that they will be laying ground on a new stadium next season. What additions would you like to see included in it. (Written Task)

Oh my lord, I do not really know where you are going to put another stadium in Berlin but it sounds lovely. I do not really think they would want me of all people giving suggestions since I made DSFL teams gun my conference. Imagine winning the Lazzy conference just to lose the finals. 

I think the stands should be named after our legends like the Sir Alex Ferguson stand exists in Old Trafford. Or hell maybe a cool stadium name. The Dewalt Stadium? I dig that. I think 1 of the stands would hve to be the GOAT TANK stands.

I do not know enough history of players so we might have some fun naming stands. Past that probably a bigger stadium capacity if anything. I figure if you are making a new one it probably should be bigger even if by just a little. Or we could go crazy and triple it! Make the biggest stadium ever!

[159 words]

22. Make a scouting report for any of the ISFL or DSFL draftees. Show their stats, abilities, TPE, or highlights. (Written or Graphic Task)

Oh this will be a fun one. Introducing the REDEEMED ALPHA AS FUCK Twitch streaming legend Tyler 'Mother fucking' 1. Did you know he is 6'5 & all muscle. He has joined the league to DOMINATE as a running back after completing League of Legends. He got to challenger in NA (LUL) on all 5 roles. Top, Jungle, Mid, AD Carry & Support plus went to Korea to get challenger there too! (Ignore he failed & got Master tier.)

Now he is here for Hall of Fame with prolly a rebuilding shite bottom of the barrel team like Orange County Otters or Honolulu Hahahas and will be there to do the one thing he always does. Win.

What was his stats like? Who cares, have you got to Diamond+ on LoL? No? (Oh god how bro...) Tyler1 always does! Whilst shouting "WINNABLE!"

Shout out to Pau for not knowing anything about Tyler 1 so all these memes above go over his head. But he will be great for whatever team my boi gets picked up on. He will be a steal like me.

[183 words]

26. if your player wasn't a professional in the ISFL/DSFL, what would they be doing instead? (Written Task or Graphic Task)

I mean, he is a Hall of Famer in other leagues so I think he just stays in the sport. I guess he could go into another sport like Rugby since this sport is just slower rugby without padding. I think Lazzy would be a good or elite defending player in Rugby Union or League since you need to be a brick wall in that to be able to stop some of the tanks that are in the sport. Multiple sports seems plausible for him since he is strong.

Outside of that, probably would just do his cultist stuff. Maybe help run some of the religious temples the cult has going on. Lazzy might travel the world so maybe a travel show on discovery or something silly like that. A guest appearance on maybe one of those US cooking shows? The sky is the limit outside of commentating. I really doubt anyone wants third person talking Lazzy doing stuff like that. 

[161 words]

33. When looking at the teams we have in the ISFL and DSFL, is there any team you believe is in need of a major rebrand or update to their current branding? Why or why not? (Written Task)

I think the Cape Town Crash could use a bit of a touch up. It has been long enough time to really say they are without a doubt the single greatest rebranding of a team ever. Now no-one remembers the trash team they were before but they might want to FLEX on the inferior branded teams by improving it even more. Now I might be wrong but I think if they switched to a team in Philly they might get people to like them more. Cape Town is too foreign for most Americans to know exists. Whilst Philly everyone knows.

We will need a good nickname for them, something that stands for true Liberty. How about Liberty? Yeah, why not. Finally add a bell & add a huge crack to it to represent how it'll never have success in 25+ seasons since I have been here.

Honestly? Perfect. Hmm, perhaps this is too perfect. Maybe just add more purple instead and keep it as it is.

[166 words]

RE: (S40) Offseason Task - CementHands - 02-09-2023

2. Let’s talk about my draft class! So as of writing this class is at the peak of their TPE journeys. About to hit regression this class is at the peak of the league right this moment. Taking a quick look at the TPE Tracker the top 6 players in the league, and 8 of the top 10 are all S33. Now, as I don’t see a wiki or forum entry for the draft results, I’m going to take advantage and watch the video and post the results here:
1 – OCO DE Leonardo McTurtle
2 – CHI DE Gregg Strongjaw
3 – YKW LB Daron Arnold
4 – OCO RB Gus Bus
5 – NOLA RB The Stig
6 – OCO DT Raphael McTurtle
7 – SJ LB Nick Flint
8 – BER WR Marvin Toledo
9 – SAR CB King Zeus
10 – AUS LB Joe Smokes
11 – PHI WR Deandre King
12 – ARI OL D’Nickshaw Mangoldson
13 – OCO TE Molki Koivu
14 – NYS RB Videl Valor
15 – PHI QB Christian Marciano
16 – PHI QB Kaguya Shinomiya
17 – YKW LB Kahn Cussion
18 – COL Bud R Fingers
19 – ARI S Talen Farrens
20 – PHI DE Able Archer
21 – BAL DE Kellan Frost
22 – OCO RB Zane Cold
23 – YKW KP Double Doink
24 – AUS RB William Groves
25 – OCO LB Mason Jones
26 – OCO TE Sandwich Maker
27 – BAL KP Daybe Downbad
28 – NYS CB Dax Dangerfield
29 – OCO CB Fairy De Pengu
30 – CHI RB Kawai Bartok
31 – YKW WR Lane Frost
32 – BAL WR Ted Stevens
33 – NOLA LB Thokk The Scarred
There we go! S33 had 33 picks, how fitting. So right off the bat I’m noticing this seems to have been a pretty heavy defensive class. A few of the high end names have dropped off unfortunately – hopefully due to name changes, but for example I can’t find #2oa Gregg Strongjaw on the list at all. Now then, the top 8 of this class have all been incredibly high earning, all over 1400 before the class drops down to around 1k. Still a great number – I got there myself with Ragnar and he felt like he was a solid performer, but never really in conversation for one of the best in the league.
A huge jump is Dax Dangerfield who was drafted at 28, and currently resides 3rd in the class. Now I assume that was a GM pick, TheRocheLimit is a familiar name, and 28 is the final possible pick in the second, which is where I assume GM’s have to go by.
Another big jump was Kahn Cussion – drafted at 17 and sitting pretty at 4th. Again a second round pick, but a very early one, so if this is a GM pick I would assume they would have tried to trade back a bit.
Out of the top 7 earners, 6 are all on the defensive side of the ball. A lot of these are pretty big names in the league over the last few seasons – with pro bowl selections and individual award winners amongst the ranks.
Some others who might be considered fallers I suppose you could say ThunderTitan’s Gus Bus, but he is still sitting at 1021, position swapped to WR for team needs and even took on the GM role for a little bit, so there was a lot more value than just raw TPE for him.
The biggest miss has to be Berlin with 8oa going with recent DSFL first overall pick RB Marvin Toledo. This was a direct fail to launch, capping his career at 366 and definitely stings, because if RB was a heavy need for Berlin this was a pretty sparse class for the group – The Stig is solid but was picked early, and then Cold I think had a particular destination in mind because I think he’s a recreate? At least the user was fairly well known at the time. A few folks have swapped to RB since such as DeAndre King, but who is to say that would have played out the same way?
Quite surprising, I would assume RB is one of the heavy backlog positions, with teams only needing one or 2 of the position, at least it’s one I would be definitely interested in creating down the road!

Code:
708 Words

RE: (S40) Offseason Task - Pib - 02-09-2023

12. Write about your team’s biggest rivalry and what makes it so fierce. Is the competition founded in statistics and the team’s recent performance, or is it a rivalry that developed over time during the team’s history that would exist regardless of statistics?

The Dallas Birddogs and the London Royals have an on-going rivalry that has seen them at each other's throats for as long as I have been in and around the league. It’s always respectful (publicly at least) but fierce. The rivalry is built upon the fact that they entered the league at the same time, during an expansion season. The only real benchmark they had at the time was each other. Who would rise up the fastest and become competitive? Who could establish themselves as a fixture in the playoffs?

Every new milestone reached was a point of comparison. Who won an Ultimini first? Who was getting the best draft classes? Who had the most awards in any given season? There was always room for a little banter between the rosters and we even had a series of anniversary games to mark a year of competition between the two teams, that I vaguely remember Slate and Katarn preparing for as GM’s shortly after they had drafted me.

I can’t really speak to how things were back in those S24-S29 days in Dallas but in the London Royals locker room, every game against Dallas was a big one. The locker room would be popping. Memes would be posted, jabs would be thrown and victory would be savored - especially during those periods where the victories were rare.

These rivalries are what made the DSFL great. People would always tell me that the ISFL was where the real competition was and where the real rivalries had formed but Dallas vs London always had this edge, particularly for me.

Now, as a player for the Dallas Birddogs, I am seeing it from the other side. Things have tapered off a bit over the years. Rosters have gone through many evolutions and now even many of the war room members wouldn’t remember those days — if they were even in the league at the time at all. However, for those that know, it’s still a special fixture. It was still the game I went straight to the schedule to look for.

Code:
345 words

14. Expansion Expansion Expansion! Tell us why you think the league should expand / not expand or include any ideas (in words) for team branding ideas you have or team locations.

This might be a hot-take and one that is a little premature — potentially leading to an aging process similar to milk, given the size of the upcoming DSFL draft. However, I’m gonna float the idea out there, as my experience in the DSFL this time around has been significantly different to my first career. I’d like to really put some emphasis on “different”, as it’s still been a highly enjoyable experience.

I came into the league in S27, joining a London Royals locker room that was absolutely packed with fantastic users. We had 7 or 8 highly active users on the roster, along with a number of alumni that were still active in the private and public channels — in addition to some that were war room members, offering advice behind the scenes. It’s my understanding, from speaking to others that were in my draft class, that this was relatively similar across the board. In most DSFL locker rooms at the time, you could log on at any point in the day (or night) and have a great conversation with someone. These days, it feels like DSFL teams are a little more sparse. They’re not dead, by any means. They’re just not as active as they once were and it’s my personal belief that this really detracts from the experience.

However, now, locker rooms are a shell of their former selves. I experienced this initially last season with London and again this season with Dallas — and again, I’ve asked around, this appears to be league wide according to those that I’ve spoken to. I believe that, should this upcoming draft class not have the retention that we would hope for, the DSFL should look at contraction of some sorts. By lowering the quantity of teams, we can pack out locker rooms again and increase the quality of experience for users and increase retention. Very few online experiences have been as engaging to me as that first time around in the DSFL and I’d really love to see that experience restored, for new users to go through and fall in love with the league in a way that so many have before.

A disclaimer here: I’ve done real analysis on this. I could be miles off the mark. I’m just comparing my experience, from now and then, along with a little feedback from a couple of other users around the league. There’s every chance the sample size is too small to carry any meaning and that this isn’t truly reflective of the league as a whole. I just wanted to share my opinion and this seemed like a great place to do it.

Code:
441 words

RE: (S40) Offseason Task - Mooty99 - 02-09-2023

OT Pass

RE: (S40) Offseason Task - Michiganonymous - 02-09-2023

33. Rebranding (~280 words, +2.5 TPE)
I don't resent the decision to rebrand the Liberty; the occasional team redesign or rebrand helps to keep things fresh around here. I won't miss their odd color scheme either. What was wrong with standard-issue red, white, and blue? I never cared for Philadelphia's muted pastel variation on the patriotic theme. The strange beige-ish creamy light gold was especially bad. I like Cape Town! I like that there's another overseas team to go along with Berlin (although I suppose Honolulu also counts as "overseas" in a way.) I like the punchy rhythm of "Cape Town Crash," I like the angry rhino design. Crash, I consider you guys friends, so I'm going to tell you as a friend: the purple and orange is bad. It's really bad. My eyes want to vomit. Purple is a difficult color to do well anyway, but the super-saturated neon shade you've chosen is... problematic. Furthermore, basic color theory says that purple complements yellow and orange complements blue; purple paired with orange is an almost-but-not-quite complementary pairing that the human eye instinctively rejects. But the biggest problem here has more to do with the chosen shades than the chosen colors: the simple fact is that two ultra-bright colors right next to each other is physically painful to look at. You have a contrast in color but not contrast in saturation, and it overloads your eyes. Just thinking about your new color scheme gives me a headache. Keep the purple and orange if you want! I personally hate the combination, but it's been done before (Clemson University). But could we please dial the brightness down, just a tad? A more subdued orange or a darker purple? My tortured eyeballs are begging you.

36. SHL Affiliate PT (+2.5 TPE)