International Simulation Football League
*Twelfth Hour DSFL Mock Draft: TPE Based Statistical Dive First Round Mock - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Twelfth Hour DSFL Mock Draft: TPE Based Statistical Dive First Round Mock (/showthread.php?tid=43747)

*Twelfth Hour DSFL Mock Draft: TPE Based Statistical Dive First Round Mock - LtHudz - 02-16-2023

With the upcoming DSFL draft, we have an astounding 100+ prospects to comb through. It might be easy to just pick the top TPE player for each pick, and at the end of the day, I may just do that because of team fit, but I would like to delve deeper into the holes on each team to potentially make these picks. So take your shoes off, get comfortable, and let’s take a deep dive into the TPE needs of each team, their offensive and defensive weaknesses, and their overall team rankings from last season to see who might get picked where.

Disclaimer: As of this write up, I will be using the current information found on the TPE tracker for each DSFL Roster and the S41 Prospects. I have updated each player to the best of my ability by manually searching for each players Update Thread, and then updating all information in the following spreadsheets:
TPE Tracker - DSFL Team Breakdowns
TPE Tracker - All S41 Prospects
A lot of these players were drafted to the ISFL, but may still play for their DSFL teams this upcoming year. Another important piece of information to note is that I have calculated all DSFL team and player TPE by Applied TPE, capping the TPE counts at 250 as that is the maximum usable TPE at the DSFL.
Additionally, there are some players who have at or under 250 TPE that have currently banked some points; I have added those points to the Applied TPE counts as I am assuming those points will be applied for the upcoming season.
Lastly, I am new to this league and do not know what positions tend to be higher valued compared to others, so I am just going with basic football knowledge. With that out of the way, let's dive right in!

FINAL DISCLAIMER: I give up with trying to fix the formatting issues when I post this. I know its a hot mess. 

Top 25 TPE Prospects (Big Board)
[Image: Top-25-TPE-Prospects-Big-Board.png]

Round 1, Pick 1:  BBB Bondi Beach Buccaneers
[Image: Bondi-Beach.png]
*NOTE: Running Back Seth Fischer has been removed and is not represented in the above team counts as he has retired*

Top 5 TPE data driven positional needs (in order of Avg TPE): S, TE, K/P, RB, DE

Bondi Beach Buccaneers are a statistical enigma; from a TPE standpoint, they are at or above league average in TPE Ratings almost across the board. They are 4th out of 8 in overall Average Applied TPE and 3rd on offense while tied for last in special teams with no kicker / punter on the team. However, on defense they were near the bottom of the league. Their season ranks from last year show pretty clearly how this affected them.

Ranked dead last in defense in points per game and rush yards allowed, Bondi Beach will need to shore up its rush defense immensely. However, they were fantastic in pass defense. Unfortunately for the Buccaneers, the top 5 TPE prospects of this draft do not fit their specific positions of need on Defense. If the Buccaneers decided to go offense with this pick, they should look to shore up their 2nd worst ranked rush attack, as their passing game was 1st in the DSFL last season. However, with top Running Back Ezra Azazel being a receiving back archetype, as well as no Offensive Lineman in the top ten until Modest Mussorgsky at #13 at total TPE, there is a very good chance the Buccaneers opt to go best player available at this point. They would select the #1 player off the board, Linebacker Loose Cannon, a Versatile Linebacker Archetype with a whopping 179 TPE who can plug in right away and help shore up rush defense, even with 3 currently rostered Linebackers.

[Image: Bondi-Beach-2.png]

Loose Cannon can step in right away as a potential replacement for recently drafted Linebacker Money Tolliver, and would become an instant starter in front of currently rostered Linebackers Alexander Lawrence and Camron Washington, both with less than 80 TPE a piece. The team would be able to play a base 3-4 defense with all four Linebackers. Their line would be flanked by Defensive End Action Bronson and Defensive Tackle twerky dingleberry, with Nose Tackle Dummy Thicccccccccccc anchoring the interior.

Round 1, Pick 1:  BBB Bondi Beach Buccaneers Select Linebacker Loose Cannon, 179 TPE (User @Jumbo)

Round 1, Pick 2:  TIJ Tijuana Luchadores
[Image: Tijuana-Luchadores.png]
*NOTE: Running Back Ezra Azazel and Linebacker Liath Squirrel have been removed and are not represented in the above team counts. They have been added to the S41 Prospects Spreadsheet, as they are DSFL Draft Eligible*

Top 5 TPE data driven positional needs (in order of Avg TPE): QB, DE, K/P, LB, CB

The Luchadores have a lot of holes to fill, mostly on the Defense, as they were dead last in the league in both total and average TPE on that side of the ball. However, they desperately need help wherever they can, as they were ranked near the bottom of the league across the board in most major statistics last year. The Luchadores are a tricky team on the surface; they seem to need help on offense due to their low rankings in points, total yards, and rush yards per game, however it appears that those woes could be solved by a competent signal caller. The rest of the offense has near league average Applied TPE per player, sitting at 5th in the DSFL, and 1st in terms of overall TPE applied on the offense, as they have four players over 200 TPE on that side of the ball (and one just over 190 TPE):

[Image: Tijuana-Luchadores-2.png]

With that amount of talent on that side of the ball, the only explanation for their season long performance is the lack of a Quarterback to bring the talent together. The case can be made to draft a Quarterback with this pick. Unfortunately, that will have to wait until later rounds, should they not want to reach at this pick, as there are no Quarterback prospects above 70 TPE in this draft.

With the above information in hand, the Luchadores will look to shore up their defense, one that ranked last in total yards and 6th in pass yards per game last season. Thankfully, the top ranked Cornerback happens to fall right into their lap at 2nd spot on our board. With only one Cornerback currently on the roster, at a total 59 TPE, the Luchadores will be thrilled to land Cornerback Bradley Welch Jr. with the second pick of this draft. Welch Jr. will shore up a much maligned unit, becoming an immediate starter. As the #2 overall TPE prospect, Welch Jr. already has 169 TPE to his name and would be a huge boon to both the defense and the overall TPE on Defense. The Luchadores currently have the worst Average Applied TPE across its defense, at an average of 134.4 per player, needing a massive influx of talent on that side of the ball. This pick will go a long way in fixing that problem.

Round 1, Pick 2:  TIJ Tijuana Luchadores Select Cornerback Bradley Welch Jr., 169 TPE (User @Dolphins)

Round 1, Pick 3:  LON London Royals
[Image: London-Royals.png]

Top 5 TPE data driven positional needs (in order of Avg TPE): OL, S, LB, K/P, RB

When it comes to league ranks in Total and Average Applied TPE, The London Royals are just below average across the board. Both Offensively and Defensively in all categories, they rank either 5th or 6th, so help on either side of the ball is welcome. However, looking at last years performance and ranks by each unit we can see that the team will want to desperately bring in help on the Offense. Scoring a league worst 21.1 points per game last season and ranked 5th in both rushing and passing yards per game, this offense needs a boost to its scoring abilities. Current Running Back starter Lord Farquaads was just drafted by San Jose, so there is a chance he could be gone in a year or so. The Running Back room looks as such:

[Image: London-Royals-RB-Room.png]

Looking for a way to add talent to this room, the London Royals will look to add Running Back Ezra Azazel, the #4 prospect with 157 TPE with the 3rd selection of this draft. Azazel also comes with the ability to help the passing game as a Receiving Back Archetype, so both aspects of the Offense should get some much needed help.

Round 1, Pick 3: LON London Royals Select Running Back Ezra Azazel, 157 TPE (User @baz1757)

Round 1, Pick 4: POR Portland Pythons
[Image: Portland-Pythons.png]

Top 5 TPE data driven positional needs (in order of Avg TPE): S, K/P, OL, CB, DE, DT

Portland has a loaded and well balanced Offense, ranking 2nd in the league in Total Applied TPE and first in Average Applied TPE. On Defense, however, they are well balanced with high TPE players at their positions, giving them the top Average Applied TPE in the league, but are 7th with Total Applied TPE. With their overall ranks pretty well balanced last season, Portland is free to target the best available player that fits a need. With no safety on the roster and coming in 5th in pass yards per game last season, Portland has an easy choice to make. Safety Mary Marie is a Center Fielder with 149 TPE to her name sitting in the top five remaining prospects on the TPE Big Board. A clea cut choice and fills one of the few holes on this roster.

Round 1, Pick 4: POR Portland Pythons Select Safety Mary Marie, 149 TPE  (User @aeonsjenni)

Round 1, Pick 5: DAL Dallas Birddogs
[Image: Dallas-Birddogs.png]

Top 5 TPE data driven positional needs (in order of Avg TPE): TE, OL, DT, WR, K/P

Another quick and easy analysis, Dallas is low on overall TPE and is dead last in Offensive TPE across the board. Last season, they had difficulty moving the ball, as they were last in total yards and 7th in passing yards per game. Dallas will look to add a talented playmaker for Quarterback NCADV RAINN to get the ball to. Both Tight End and Wide Receiver are a glaring need, with no Tight Ends and only two 50 TPE Wide Receivers on the roster: 

[Image: Dallas-Birddogs-WR-Room.png]

Thankfully, the top Wide Receiver in this draft, Oliver Tolliver, falls to them and is quickly selected.

Round 1, Pick 5: DAL Dallas Birddogs Select Wide Receiver Oliver Tolliver, 163 TPE (User @Memento Mori)

Round 1, Pick 6: MIN Minnesota Grey Ducks
[Image: Minnesota-Grey-Ducks.png]

Top 5 TPE data driven positional needs (in order of Avg TPE): OL, CB, K/P, RB, DE
The Minnesota Grey Ducks have plenty of talent across their roster, being top three in team rankings in both Total and Average Applied TPE in all categories. They could very well go best player available to shore up an already solid team, or they could draft based on need. If they go the later approach, the Grey Ducks will target help for their pass defense, which ranked last a season ago. Minnesota will pass on prospects with higher TPE here to fill a major need on their defense, as well as to grab a player at a coveted position, selecting Cover Cornerback Synystyr Gates with 115 TPE (#21 on the Big Board, see the S41 Prospects Spreadsheet). Gates will immediately raise the average TPE in the Cornerback room by 29 points, from 57 to 86, becoming the highest rated player at his position, and should make quick work of improving this Grey Ducks pass Defense.

Round 1, Pick 6: MIN Minnesota Grey Ducks Select Synystyr Gates, 115 TPE (User @Dustillation)

Round 1, Pick 7:  NOR Norfolk Seawolves
[Image: Norfolk-Seawolves.png]
Top 5 TPE data driven positional needs (in order of Avg TPE): WR, OL, DT, K/P, TE
Norfolk may have come in second to end the season, but they are second to last in Offensive TPE statistics. They have glaring needs in their passing game, and finished last in passing yards per game last season. Employing a powerful, 1st ranked run game, Norfolk will look to complement the strength of their team by finding a target for Quarterback Rocky Ranklin III, specifically one that can stretch the field. The team currently has a few vertical threat Tight Ends, however, most of the high end TPE talent lies in possession Tight End Big McLarge Huge and Speed Back Howard Coward on Offense:
[Image: Norfolk-Seawolves-Offense.png]
Needing a true deep threat option, the Seawolves will happily add Speed Wide Receiver Wolfie McDummy Jr. to this mix of weapons, hoping to stretch the field and open up more lanes for Coward to run through.
Round 1, Pick 7: MIN Norfolk Seawolves Select Wide Receiver Wolfie McDummy Jr., 149 TPE (User @infinitempg)
Round 1, Pick 8: KCC Kansas City Coyotes
[Image: Kansas-City-Coyotes.png]
*NOTE: TE Clint Mustache has made a position switch to DE; that is reflected above.*
Top 5 TPE data driven positional needs (in order of Avg TPE): DT, TE, OL, P/K, CB
Our Ultimini Champions have plenty of high end TPE talent on their team, but are short on players. They have three bots currently on their roster, all on Defense. With those players capped and unable to earn TPE, it is no wonder that this team’s lowest TPE score would be on Defense, and their Run Defense was the only place they struggled last year. With a wealth of high end Defensive talent available, sitting atop the big board, Kansas City could go many different routes with this pick. Adding an actual CB or LB to either room that is full of bots could very well be the route chosen. However, the Coyotes decide to shore up their run defense with an All-Purpose Defensive Tackle in Billy Jor-El, filling the only empty Defensive position room left on the roster.
Round 1, Pick 8: KCC Kansas City Coyotes Select Defensive Tackle Billy Jor-El, 150 TPE (User @LtHudz)
That’s it for the first round. This took much longer than I'd imagined so I don’t think I’ll have time to get to the second round, but if I can get it out today I may do a rapid fire few rounds before the DSFL draft starts.

RE: Twelfth Hour DSFL Mock Draft: TPE Based Statistical Dive First Round Mock - MMFLEX - 02-16-2023

Whether this is right or wrong, this must be the format for all future mock drafts. Looks great!

RE: Twelfth Hour DSFL Mock Draft: TPE Based Statistical Dive First Round Mock - wizard_literal - 02-16-2023

This is insanely impressive.

RE: Twelfth Hour DSFL Mock Draft: TPE Based Statistical Dive First Round Mock - Jumbo - 02-16-2023

Oh man that is fantastic!! great work. #1 overall would be an honor and i appreciate that

RE: Twelfth Hour DSFL Mock Draft: TPE Based Statistical Dive First Round Mock - jollyjiggs - 02-16-2023

Nice draft! Looks like I took too long to put my updates together lol