International Simulation Football League
EPA Gizmo - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: EPA Gizmo (/showthread.php?tid=43889)

Pages: 1 2

EPA Gizmo - aeonsjenni - 02-21-2023

GIZMO LINK

I made two little spreadsheet gizmos. The link to them is above. The first is a player EPA lookup, and the second is a team EPA lookup. The first one, the player lookup, only allows you to look for offensive skill players and punters. I am not making a defensive equivalent because the sample size would be criminally small and selective, and it is frankly irresponsible to extrapolate anything from the EPA/play for a specific player making a tackle or breaking up a pass. Defenses in general act as a unit (moreso than offenses) anyways, so if you are curious I would suggest using the team EPA lookup.

To use the player lookup, go to the 'Player Lookup Page' sheet, which you can access at the bottom of the page in google sheets. To go to the team lookup, go to the 'Team Lookup Page' instead. You do not need to use any of the other sheets but you are free to look at them if you like. Please follow the instructions.

I apologize for the jankyness of these gizmos. I have been learning how to use a spreadsheet for maybe two weeks now and while I am much better than when I started I still am not so tricky with them. Plus, it's a spreadsheet, not a dedicated website. Please keep in mind that changing the team or season that you are looking for will take a little while to calculate. Please do not do anything weird with them. You can edit the page, so if you want to leave a comment in the specified boxes please feel free to do so.

I have to confess that I am feeling very trepidatious about releasing this. I really like looking at these sorts of numbers and I think they are really cool but they are very easy to misinterpret, especially the player lookup. I ask that you do not take the numbers you find too seriously. That being said, if you find a discrepancy or a mistake please let me know, either by leaving me a comment or by @'ing me on discord.

I really hope this can be fun thing to introduce to the league, so please enjoy!

~Jenni

RE: EPA Gizmo - Pat - 02-21-2023

This is insanely cool. I have no idea what I'm looking at, but hot damn this is cool.

RE: EPA Gizmo - br0_0ker - 02-21-2023

what are the ranges for EPA?

RE: EPA Gizmo - aeonsjenni - 02-21-2023

(02-21-2023, 04:48 PM)br0_0ker Wrote: what are the ranges for EPA?
Hypothetically, the possible range of EPA for a play is [-20,20], but this is only possible in the most cursed of scoring environments. Realistically, for a large enough sample size in a balanced enough league, you will see EPA/play vary between -0.3 and 0.3 at the absolute most.

(02-21-2023, 04:17 PM)Pat Wrote: This is insanely cool. I have no idea what I'm looking at, but hot damn this is cool.
Is it hard to read or difficult to use? I'm wanting to make this as accessible as possible.

RE: EPA Gizmo - br0_0ker - 02-21-2023

(02-21-2023, 05:32 PM)aeonsjenni Wrote:
Hypothetically, the possible range of EPA for a play is [-20,20], but this is only possible in the most cursed of scoring environments. Realistically, for a large enough sample size in a balanced enough league, you will see EPA/play vary between -0.3 and 0.3 at the absolute most.

so you're saying Kaepercolin at ~.5 is insanely good

(02-21-2023, 07:56 PM)br0_0ker Wrote:
(02-21-2023, 05:32 PM)aeonsjenni Wrote:

so you're saying Kaepercolin at ~.5 is insanely good
Yes, it is! That being said, a number that high is most likely a fluke of noisy data. You'd expect that to regress to maybe 0.2 or so with better data and a bigger sample. 0.2 is still very very good, but this is exactly why I'm trying to say that we shouldn't take too much stock in the individual player numbers.

RE: EPA Gizmo - DREAMSLOTH - 02-22-2023

This might be the most intense spreadsheet I've ever seen in the ISFL, and that is a fierce battleground for competition. Please accept pay for this. Also you have made me realize how important math and spreadsheets are and how the education system failed me greatly as a child.

RE: EPA Gizmo - aeonsjenni - 02-22-2023

(02-22-2023, 12:13 AM)dreamSloth Wrote: This might be the most intense spreadsheet I've ever seen in the ISFL, and that is a fierce battleground for competition. Please accept pay for this. Also you have made me realize how important math and spreadsheets are and how the education system failed me greatly as a child.
Yea, this spreadsheet has kind of become my baby in the last week or so, I just keep tinkering with it and stuff. I wasn't accepting pay because this isn't really an article or anything, I'm not making any sort of analysis or writing anything interesting—it's mostly just a link!

RE: EPA Gizmo - infinitempg - 02-22-2023

why are you so cool