International Simulation Football League
*S40 Ultimus Host City - Vienna, Austria - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *S40 Ultimus Host City - Vienna, Austria (/showthread.php?tid=43972)

*S40 Ultimus Host City - Vienna, Austria - JuOSu - 02-28-2023

As my pitch for the S40 Ultimus Host City, I would like to nominate the city of Vienna, Austria.

The City:

Vienna is a beautiful city in Central Europe. The capital of Austria, Vienna has a large history and is world famous for a wide range of things. Beautiful architecture, amazing nature, coffee houses, museums and more are a big part of what makes the city a joy to live in and to visit as a tourist.

The city has the needed capabilities to host a big sporting event of this nature. Vienna ranks 8th in most tourists of any European cities, ahead of cities like Athens, Berlin and Venice. So there are plenty of hotels available for players and fans alike, who might travel to the city for the event.

Vienna has hosted big sporting events before, including the European Championship in soccer in 2008, including the final game of that Euros in the Ernst Happel Stadion, which seats over 50,000 people. It also hosted the finals of the Champions League once (and the finals of the tournament that became the Champions League three times)

American Football in Austria:

While other sports have more popularity in the country, American Football tradition in Austria is much more common than one might think. Austria has its own football league since 1984. The Vienna Vikings are the team with the most finals appearances in the Eurobowl, a championship game played between top clubs in Europe, with ten. Two Austrian teams are also in the top 4 teams of most Eurobowl titles as well. 

In 2014, Austria even hosted the European Championship in American Football and our team made it to the final where we played in front of 27,000 people. So clearly there is a market for football in this city and country. 

There is a hunger especially to see local players. In this past NFL draft, we had the first ever draft pick that was Austrian. Previously any Austrian player in any big American sport often gets many headlines, such as Thomas Vanek with ice hockey and Lukas Poeltl with basketball. The fact that this league has Austrian players, besides just myself, would be a huge factor in the popularity of the league locally.

But football is already a big draw. The Super Bowl has been shown on TV since at least the 90s and especially in the internet age has grown in popularity every year, with games now shown weekly on television. Even just anecdotally, I see people wearing NFL hats and shirts all the time now, but did not in the 90s. Popularity has grown a lot and there is the market to have a huge finals game here and through that grow the popularity of the league.

The logo:

I want to thank @Bayley who helped me design a beautiful logo for the idea of the game here:

[Image: New_Project_8.png]

I think it's a beautiful logo that shows history with the palace of Schoenbrunn, the musical notes reminding of Mozart and the crest of the country at the top. Credit goes to Bayley for a beautiful design! I am providing the back story for the bid!

RE: S40 Ultimus Host City - Vienna, Austria - br0_0ker - 02-28-2023

when will you realize... Vienna waits for you?

RE: S40 Ultimus Host City - Vienna, Austria - Akoustique - 02-28-2023

Ooh, this is a good proposal. Lots of history in Vienna I wasn't aware of. Love it!

RE: S40 Ultimus Host City - Vienna, Austria - JuOSu - 02-28-2023

(02-28-2023, 01:56 PM)Akoustique Wrote: Ooh, this is a good proposal. Lots of history in Vienna I wasn't aware of. Love it!

Glad you liked it!