International Simulation Football League
*ISFL MVP Rankings (S40, Through Week 6) - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *ISFL MVP Rankings (S40, Through Week 6) (/showthread.php?tid=44006)

*ISFL MVP Rankings (S40, Through Week 6) - nickyvmlp - 03-03-2023

The season is now fully underway, and we’re starting to get an idea about who is playing like a possible MVP contender, which of course means I gotta rank em.  I don’t think I’m physically able to not do it.  Remember, as my granny always said, if you aren’t active, you aren’t higher than the honorable mentions.  And speaking of those:

Honorable mentions:
CHI CHI FS Dee Walt: 27 tackles, 4 INTs, 7 deflections, 1 TD
Best game: Week 6 vs. Cape Town: 7 tackles, 1 INT, 1 TD

Walt leads the league right now in interceptions and, in his most recent game, snagged a lead-taking pick-six that gave the Butchers a lead that they would never lose. 

BAL BAL WR Rocky Moreaux: 45 receptions, 707 yards, 2 TDs
Best game: Week 1 @ Cape Town: 8 receptions, 144 yards, 1 TD

Rocky is picking up right where he left off from last season, leading the league in receiving yards, but is now doing so at a much better yards per game pace.  A few more TDs and he’d be on the big list.

SAR SAR LB Aqeel Steele: 43 tackles, 3 TFLs, 8 sacks, 7 deflections
Best game: Week 3 @ Baltimore: 6 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 deflection

There’s a couple of people right now tied for the league lead in sacks, and Aqeel Steele is one of them.  He’s also top ten in tackles and second among linebackers in deflections.

CHI CHI DT Joseph Reed: 25 tackles, 1 TFL, 4 FFs, 2 FRs, 8 sacks
Best game: Week 4 @ Sarasota: 5 tackles, 1 FF, 3 sacks

And right there with Steele is Joseph Reed, and he might be a sleeper pick for Defensive Player of the Year.  Leading the league in sacks and forced fumbles, leading all defensive players in fumble recoveries, and being tied for second among defensive linemen in tackles.  Good stuff.

CTC CTC QB Creg Jerrith IV: 1608 pass yards, 69.9% completion, 6 TDs, 2 INTs, 96.2 passer rating
Best game: Week 6 @ Chicago: 29/46, 324 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT

The Offensive Rookie of the Year battle this year isn’t a very crowded field, but Creg Jerrith IV is looking like the class of the field in that category.  He’s comfortably leading the league in completion percentage, while being tied for the fewest interceptions.  He’s playing conservative, but very efficient.

SAR SAR WR Sconnie McSix: 32 receptions, 575 yards, 5 TDs
Best game: Week 3 @ Baltimore: 6 receptions (on 6 targets), 152 yards, 2 TDs

Sconnie has been boom or bust all season, with all five touchdowns coming in just two games, but the booms have been incredible.  Maybe one fewer bust would put him on the final list.

CHI CHI RB Lalu Muhammad Zohri: 106 carries, 468 yards, 9 TDs, 6 receptions, 46 yards
Best game: Week 1 vs. Colorado: 22 carries, 107 yards, 3 TDs

It’s really annoying that year after year, one of the better running backs in the league is IA.  Should I take inactives out of the running?  I might make a poll for that.

AUS 6. AUS QB Queen Elizabeth II: 1678 pass yards, 65.3% completion, 14 TDs, 2 INTs, 102.3 passer rating
Best game: Week 2 @ Honolulu: 24/33, 356 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs

The quarterbacks have been a little all over the place with this post as none of them are lighting the world on fire, but I think the good queen is right now the most consistent quarterback in the league.  She’s sporting an insane touchdown to interception ratio right now of 7-to-1, and has sported some late-game heroics, including a clutch as hell touchdown that won Austin their Week 4 game against the Second Line.  They did nearly blow a 17-point lead to San Jose, but that was more to do with a miracle comeback on the Sabercats’ part.  She’s not playing like the best player in the league right now, but it feels like she’s only just getting started for what we’ll see from her this season.

SAR 5. SAR LB dont draft: 40 tackles, 3 TFLs, 2 FFs, 3 sacks, 3 INTs, 7 deflections, 1 TD
Best game: Week 2 vs. Berlin: 6 tackles, 2 INTs, 4 deflections

Don’t tell me what to do, I’ll draft you if I wanna.  The bane of Autocorrect’s existence, dont draft, feels like the person I’d vote for if I had a say in who wins Defensive Player of the Year, as he’s doing pretty much everything you can do on that side of the ball.  Taking down the quarterback, popping the ball out, snagging INTs.  He is the best all-around Defensive Player this Year.  He’s not blowing away any individual stat, but it doesn’t feel like many people are.  Scoring feels like it’s up across the league, so in the absence of crazy stats, I’ll happily take some consistent ones, and that’s what dont provides.

NYS 4. NYS RB Michaelangelo McTurtle: 95 carries, 468 yards, 5 TDs, 19 receptions, 199 yards
Best game: Week 1 @ Orange County: 16 carries, 162 yards, 3 TDs, 3 receptions, 59 yards

With the decline of Malcolm Savage, the New York offense is leaning more and more towards being centered around Michaelangelo McTurtle.  To give you an idea of how good he could be in charge of New York’s offense, let’s examine that best game up there.  Looks pretty good right?  Well, most of that damage was done in the first half.  He only got three carries (for 12 yards) in the third quarter, and none in the fourth.  If New York really wanted to let him go for the record book, they absolutely could have.  They haven’t all been great, not even close, and maybe this is more of an indictment on the Orange County defense than anything else, but if he can have more games where he can come close to going 13-150-3 rushing in a HALF, then McTurtle’s gonna do big things.  But also, he hasn’t had a game with 20 carries yet, so maybe work on that.

BAL 3. BAL QB Preston Beatz: 2044 pass yards, 63.9% completion, 14 TDs, 5 INTs, 93.9 passer rating
Best game: Week 1 @ Cape Town: 34/49, 429 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs

Some people like to talk about quarterbacks making a jump in their third season.  I don’t know if I’ve seen a third year jump quite like the one that Preston Beatz did.  Last year, he was last in the league in passing yards.  This season: first.  You literally can not quantify a bigger jump than that.  Oh and he’s also in a tie for the league lead in passing touchdowns (with four other people).  Adding the league leader in receiving yards in Rocky Moreaux, finding a late-round gem in Jay Money, and the continued development of Shane Turnbull, has turned the worst offense in the league last season into one of the best.  What a turnaround, and Beatz is at the heart of it.

CTC 2. CTC RB Jarvis Harbinger-Marjin: 150 carries, 590 yards, 8 TDs, 22 receptions, 161 yards, 1 TD
Best game: Week 5 @ Berlin: 26 carries, 131 yards, 2 TDs, 3 receptions, 43 yards

Cape Town’s gotten off to a very impressive start this season, and while their solid rookie quarterback, Creg Jerrith IV, may get some credit for that, special praise has to be given to Jarvis Harbinger-Marjin for being the lynchpin of this Crash offense.  His yards per carry isn’t spectacular, I’ll agree, but he’s basically getting all of the carries in Cape Town, and he’s making the absolute most of it, leading the league in rushing yards, and being tied for the league lead in scrimmage TDs with Mr. Inactive McGee, Lalu M. Zohri.  Honestly, if Jarvis had gotten up to four yards per carry on the season, he’d probably be at the very top of this list, so just know that this was really close.

YKW 1. YKW RB Adebayo Akinfenwa: 113 carries, 567 yards, 3 TDs, 19 receptions, 230 yards, 1 TD
Best game: Week 2 @ Chicago: 18 carries, 135 yards, 2 TDs, 2 receptions, 10 yards, 1 TD

When in doubt, bet on the Yellowknife running back, they’re really good at this sorta thing.  Even with the early development of Absolute Unit, the Yellowknife offense is still ticking thanks to the combined efforts of their two-headed monster at running back.  It seems as though this season, Akinfenwa is going to get the majority of the workload, which will make him one of the best players in the entire league.  Not only is he second in the league in rushing yards right now, but he’s also second in yards per attempt, only behind San Jose’s DeAndre King, who has half the touches that Akinfenwa does.  The touchdowns aren’t there yet, but that’s because Yellowknife are somehow beating teams with field goals.  For now, that’s enough, but we might be looking for more from them in the future.

RE: ISFL MVP Rankings (S40, Through Week 6) - ReverendOReily - 03-03-2023

AKINFENWA FOR MVP YKW YKW

Glad to see this series continue Nicky, great work!

RE: ISFL MVP Rankings (S40, Through Week 6) - Starboy - 03-03-2023

I hope that the ypc doesn't hinder a bell-cow RB. Considering how many yards and the TD lead, I think that it should outweigh the average stat. Hopefully at least.

RE: ISFL MVP Rankings (S40, Through Week 6) - soevil - 03-03-2023

I'm interested to know why more people think IA players should be considered for MVP. I guess it makes sense, since IA can still be high TPE and/or vital to team success (See Zohri for example), but it leaves a bad taste knowing that they aren't really around to appreciate the award.

(03-03-2023, 02:05 PM)soevil Wrote: I'm interested to know why more people think IA players should be considered for MVP. I guess it makes sense, since IA can still be high TPE and/or vital to team success (See Zohri for example), but it leaves a bad taste knowing that they aren't really around to appreciate the award.

People are crazy

RE: ISFL MVP Rankings (S40, Through Week 6) - br0_0ker - 03-03-2023

(03-03-2023, 01:35 PM)Starboy Wrote: I hope that the ypc doesn't hinder a bell-cow RB. Considering how many yards and the TD lead, I think that it should outweigh the average stat. Hopefully at least.

Awards skew too heavily based on average alone... situations matter more with a low average but I don't think the voters look at that sort of thing

(i.e. LMH average brought up as "you just weren't good enough to win the award because your average sucks" but then you look at the 1st downs and LMH has 10 more than the next receiver... maybe he's catching short routes at the sticks, which is more valuable than a random long play that boosts average but ultimately lets the drive stall out. I'd rather have 3 catches for 9 yards each that end in 3 FD than 1 catch for 30)

(03-03-2023, 02:55 PM)br0_0ker Wrote:
(03-03-2023, 01:35 PM)Starboy Wrote: I hope that the ypc doesn't hinder a bell-cow RB. Considering how many yards and the TD lead, I think that it should outweigh the average stat. Hopefully at least.

Awards skew too heavily based on average alone... situations matter more with a low average but I don't think the voters look at that sort of thing

(i.e. LMH average brought up as "you just weren't good enough to win the award because your average sucks" but then you look at the 1st downs and LMH has 10 more than the next receiver... maybe he's catching short routes at the sticks, which is more valuable than a random long play that boosts average but ultimately lets the drive stall out. I'd rather have 3 catches for 9 yards each that end in 3 FD than 1 catch for 30)

It can be a difficult balance but yeah, I think that the situations and the "hey this is a single RB on the team" argument gets lost unless the numbers are just that much more insane. Even then it is a very big toss up if those advanced analytics are going to really show the work it takes to be so good when your team runs through a single RB and how fast that RB Endurance goes

RE: ISFL MVP Rankings (S40, Through Week 6) - DREAMSLOTH - 03-03-2023

I love this list (not just because I'm actually on it), but for me the Queen is No. 1. Austin wouldn't be where it is today without QEII, no matter what receiving corps you have out there. Everyone belongs on here to some degree though. Good stuff nicky.