International Simulation Football League
*DSFL Average Positional Speed Rankings - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *DSFL Average Positional Speed Rankings (/showthread.php?tid=44096)

*DSFL Average Positional Speed Rankings - jollyjiggs - 03-10-2023

edit: TPE tracker was used for all rosters and calculations so my apologies if it is not fully accurate
edit2: I have added in LBs and adjusted the final rankings based on their data

Is speed king? The sim says yes, the league veterans say yes, and statistics say yes. But does Legs McMillion say yes? Kinda.

I am not a stats guy. I like to look at stats, but I've never taken a statistics course in my life. Many of you here are far better than myself- so please take this with a grain of salt.

I looked at each team's average speed across each position, ranked each team for each individual position, and then did one final ranking based on the average of their previous rankings.

Let's take a peek at the offensive side of the ball:
[Image: y10ZRQt.png]

The first number represents the average speed from each player in that teams respective position, while the following number in the parenthesis represents how many players of that specific position a team has. As an example, the average speed of KCC's QB position is 57.5, and they have two quarterbacks on their roster. Also, if a team has no players at a position, that is indicated with "---" as seen with NOR's OL. None of this post includes bots!

I thought it would be a good idea to add how many players a team has at the position because one team might average 80 in a position while only having one guy on the roster, while another team might only average 75 spread out across three different players. My chart doesn't really account for this, but the most impressive numbers (to me) are the ones with high average speed and a lot of players at a given position. We will get more into this in the actual rankings, but as an example we can take a look at the RB position. LON is in front with an average speed of 89, but they only have one RB on the roster. DAL is a very distant second, but they managed to average 80.8 speed with a whopping five RB on the roster.

Next up, we have the defense:
[Image: BMIaYRW.png]

Same idea here. 

So, my next step was to organize them from highest average speed to lowest average speed. This is where we can get into some discussion.
[Image: strzesI.png]

Same thing as before, but now it's in order! There are quite a few ties, and I didn't think to not round each decimal up until it was too late, so I had to come up with my own arbitrary tiebreakers. In the case of a tie, tiebreakers are as follows:

First, if one team has more players at the position than the other, they win.

Second, if they have the same amount of players and that number of players is 4 or more, I gave the team with the lowest speed 4th stringer the win since they probably aren't seeing the field much anyways.

Third, if they have the same amount of players and the number is 3 or less, I gave the team with the highest positional TPE the win because I didn't know what else to do.

No, these tiebreakers don't really make sense. Sorry!

QB:
Everyone else tied for third with an average of 45 speed. KCC takes home the gold and MINN gets a close second. This is the only position I didn't include for the final ranking.

RB:
As previously mentioned, I found this one to be pretty interesting. It shouldn't be any surprise than LON's sole RB Lord Farquaads currently leads the league in rushing yards. What might surprise you is that LON has the second least rushing yards and second worst yards per carry. With only one RB there to carry the load, I'm guessing LON struggles to close out games in the second half.

DAL, second on our RB speed averages, is also second in the league in rushing yards. They also have the fourth highest yards per carry. Moving down the list, POR boasts both the most rushing yards AND the most yards per carry. As far as the RB position is concerned, speed is definitely important! But what's more important is a RB committee to help share the load. The rest of the RB rankings basically follow the same order as their total rushing yards.

That is, unless your TIJ. TIJ has the lowest overall speed for their RB committee, and while they are close to not being in last, they are still bottom tier. Well, bottom tier if you ignore that they have the third most rushing yards and second highest yards per carry! There could be more going on here, such as me not accounting for OLINE, or potentially the sim just doing what it does. But TIJ has a great rushing offense that has helped ease their new QB into the game.

WR:
BBB by far has the fastest WR group, and it's no shock that Smokin Jay has been having the season of a lifetime. They're middle of the road when it comes to receiving yards, but by far have the most receiving TDs with 21. Second highest average MINN has a similar scenario, and while they have the most receiving yards in the league their overall outcome has not been as great as BBB. Their TDs are tied for second lowest in the league. I think MINN might pull a late season push with the crazy loaded offense they have, but that's a talk for another post.

Looking at the two slowest teams, TIJ and NOR, and we are surprised again. Well, kind of at least. TIJ has the least passing yards in the league, but this could be due to a new QB as well as other factors. They also have the lowest yards per reception. However, they do have the third highest touchdown count- which is the most important one! NOR is a bit of an oddball, as they are on the bottom end of receiving yards. They also have the least amount of catches overall. On the other hand, they have the second highest amount of receiving TDs and have the highest yards per catch- something quite surprising given the low average speed.

TE:
This one is difficult to give much info on, as most TE groups contribute to the exact stats I went over for WRs. I'm going to do another one of these posts at the end of the season and hopefully by then I will have something more thoughtful to say about the TE group.

OL:
My bias tells me this is the least important position to dump speed into, and I am currently struggling to find any meaningful correlation between speed and OL performance. It doesn't seem to have much impact on pancakes or sacks allowed. You would think it would heavily influence the run game, but with the data I have it doesn't seem that way either. Maybe if I ever do one of these for strength we'd get a better write-up from me.

DE/DT:
Finally, on to defense!

First, if I could start over, I would probably calculate DE and DT together. My graph doesn't do that, but I will try to here.

The two main stats I'm going to look at are tackles for loss and sacks for these positional groups. By far the two best teams at both of these are POR and KCC. POR edges KCC out a bit, and I think it's due to their stellar 75 average speed DT group. This group is accompanied by DE Bruce White, who has 80 speed himself. POR's DE average is anchored down by a 60 speed DE. It's unfair of me to do this for one specific team, but I'm doing it anyways. If you cut out the low speed DE, which POR probably does, then their DLine has a MONSTER 76ish average speed- higher than TIJs WR group. More than anything, I think speed helps the most on the DLine. They have 31 sacks for the year, and 25 tackles for loss. They also have 2 safeties already as well.

Meanwhile, DAL has no DT on the roster and the slowest DE group. This has led them to a league lowest 9 sacks (no other team has less than 14) and a league second lowest tackles for loss. Despite this, DAL has the third best rush defense in the league. As always, many things can factor into this, but it's interesting nonetheless. Speed kills!

CB/S:
Another positional group I should have combined. DBs might be the most underrepresented position in the DSFL, as half the teams in the league only have a single CB and nearly half only have one or even zero safeties.

We'll be looking at interceptions and pass defenses (PDs) for this group.

DAL decided to bounce back by having extremely high averages for both positions! Surprisingly, this has not helped them much with either of the previously mentioned stats. They are middle tier when it comes to INTs, and bottom tier in PDs. They actually allow the most passing yards in the league per game, completely contrasting their DLine performance.

What's much more telling are the two teams with the lowest DBs averages- MINN and KCC. They both by far have the least INTs and PDs. The best bet here seems to be balance. DAL has high averages but performs only better than the teams with the lowest averages.

LB:
[Image: 99FDHzh.png]

I suck and completely left LBs off my team chart and did not account for them in my original final rankings- my bad!

LBs are a mixed bag, having wildly different stats based off of what their role is on the team. I would chop this one into three tiers. High tier is BBB, POR, and KCC. Mid tier is LON, NOR, and DAL. Bottom tier is TIJ and MINN.

The bottom four teams have the top four amount of total team tackles, making the fastest four teams have the least amount of tackles. I have no idea what to make of this, but it does seem important. Having lots of team tackles isn't always a good thing, but it's not necessarily bad either. Just interesting.

As mentioned before, POR and KCC lead the league in tackles for loss. They both have speedy DLines which no doubt contribute to this number, and I'm sure it's only amplified by the fast LBs they have. Meanwhile, BBB does not have the same luxury despite having a similarly quick DLine and the fastest LBs in the league. They are dead last in TFL, and only average in sacks. My personal opinion is that I attribute the lower numbers to the slow start to the season they had, although I have not looked at the box score for their first few games to confidently say that.

The teams with the lowest speed LBs run pretty average to below average for most typical LB stats, although I would like to point out that TIJ and MINN have the lowest and third lowest forced fumbles respectively. Obviously this is a strength based stat, but it just may be something to watch out for.

(Revised to include LB) LASTLY, moving to my final part, the combined rankings! I literally just got the average of each teams positional placement. This does NOT account for basically anything, such as speed seeming to not matter as much for OLine- so congrats KCC and DAL.

8th
NOR 
Avg Ranking: 5
Highest Avg: TE, CB (#2 fastest in league)
Lowest Avg: OL (#8 fastest in league)

7th
MIN 
Avg Ranking: 4.777
Highest Avg: WR (#2 fastest in league)
Lowest Avg: LB, CB (#8 fastest in league)

6th
TIJ 
Avg Ranking: 4.666
Highest Avg: S (#1 fastest in league)
Lowest Avg: RB, WR (#8 fastest in league)

5th
KCC 
Avg Ranking: 4.555
Highest Avg: OL, DE (#1 fastest in league)
Lowest Avg: RB, CB, S (#7 fastest in league)

4th
POR
Avg Ranking: 4.444
Highest Avg: DT (#1 fastest in league)
Lowest Avg: S (#8 fastest in league)

3rd
DAL
Avg Ranking: 4.333
Highest Avg: CB (#1 fastest in league)
Lowest Avg: DE, DT (#8 fastest in league)

2nd
LON
Avg Ranking: 4.222
Highest Avg: RB, TE (#1 fastest in league)
Lowest Avg: OL (#7 fastest in league)

And your fastest team based on positional average...............

1st
BBB 
Avg Ranking: 4
Highest Avg: WR, LB (#1 fastest in league)
Lowest Avg: TE (#8 fastest in league)

Someone please find anything useful in this information I spent way too long making it and I came to almost no conclusions other than speed might be good sometimes

Thanks!

RE: DSFL Average Positional Speed Rankings - Twenty6 - 03-10-2023

Oh, this comparison brings back some memories. S36 gang gang?

You broke it down by position, though, so this is much less controversial.

RE: DSFL Average Positional Speed Rankings - MMFLEX - 03-10-2023

[Image: rick-bobby-will-ferrell.gif]

RE: DSFL Average Positional Speed Rankings - Jaywe88 - 03-10-2023

I’m making the Luchas do more laps after this one, cheers

RE: DSFL Average Positional Speed Rankings - CROney3 - 03-10-2023

(03-10-2023, 06:36 PM)Jaywe88 Wrote: I’m making the Luchas do more laps after this one, cheers
Ahhh shit.