International Simulation Football League
*Akou's Arguments for DSFL Rookies of the Year (S41 Edition) - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Akou's Arguments for DSFL Rookies of the Year (S41 Edition) (/showthread.php?tid=44218)

*Akou's Arguments for DSFL Rookies of the Year (S41 Edition) - Akoustique - 03-17-2023

Oh boy, is that yet another DSFL article from Akou? You bet your behind it is. Don’t actually bet your behind, you probably want to be sitting down for this, and sitting directly on your tailbone is probably uncomfortable.

The S41 Rookie Class has been monumental in my eyes, pushing a lot of teams that weren’t in the argument for the playoffs further and further throughout the season. Bondi Beach, the team Kairo Knight is currently playing for, happens to be one of these teams. Tijuana is another. It’s a competitive season in the DSFL this time around, and because of that, I think we should have a look at some of the standouts this season.

Last season, around this time, I did some midseason power rankings, but I wanted to switch some things up this season. I’m not a part of any awards committee, so I don’t know what they’re thinking; this is all my opinion from all the stats and games I’ve seen.

Let’s get on with it! I’m going to present some rookies this year from both the defense and the offense that have made a huge difference in their teams this season.

Side note: These are not rankings. Just a few individuals that I believe deserve to be in the running for these awards.

TIJ Offense: Lloyd Bannings, QB (@bowl0, Tijuana Luchadores)  TIJ 

What a rookie season for Bannings. Tijuana has a record of 5-5 going into Week 11. And yet, they feel like a much bigger threat, and I think that’s thanks to Lloyd Bannings. Third in passing completions, and tied for second in touchdowns. That being said, six interceptions is a bit of a damper on Lloyd’s stats this time around, but five other quarterbacks also have six interceptions. Tijuana is still a threat to make it into a playoff discussion.

Notable Stats: 2528 passing yards, 24 TDs, 222 completions

LON Defense: Loose Cannon, LB (@Jumbo, London Royals) LON 

Loose Cannon is the leading tackler on the defensive side of the ball in all of DSFL. He’s whacked ball carriers with 86 tackles so far, and Cannon has no signs of stopping. Adding onto that massive stat is his two forced fumbles, and four sacks on the season so far. London currently has the most points against in the DSFL, but Loose Cannon is a huge threat in the linebacker corps of the Royals.

Notable Stats: 86 Tackles, 2 Forced Fumbles, 4 Sacks

BBB Offense: Malik Brooks, RB (@AK41, Bondi Beach Buccaneers) BBB 

Shout out to Bondi Beach representing here. Malik Brooks has been a threat in the backfield, and even if Bondi #LivesByThePass, they’ve still got threats on the ground, and Brooks is one of them, Bondi Beach is tied for second in the average rushing yards per carry, and Malik Brooks has the second longest run this season with 59 yards. Bondi Beach is currently second in their division, and while it’s been a team effort, Malik Brooks has definitely helped.

Notable Stats: 719 rushing yards, 5 TDs

DAL Defense: Craig Brand, LB (@ElMerchanto, Dallas Birddogs) DAL 

The second leading tackler in all of the DSFL at the moment, Craig Brand has been a nightmare for the Birddogs’ opponents. Six sacks, nine tackles for a loss, and a whopping 83 tackles total. It’s a massive risk to throw or rush anywhere near Craig Brand, and even though Dallas is leading their division in points against, Brand has helped push Dallas to their three wins.

Notable Stats: 83 tackles, 6 sacks, 1 blocked FG

POR Offense: Emile Charles (@Number 82, Portland Pythons) POR 

Our second leader in receiving yards, and first amongst rookies, Emile Charles has been pushing Portland’s passing game to the next level. With 900 plus receiving yards and 6 TDs, Charles is a threat wherever he lines up, helping Portland to get second in points for within their division and third in all of the DSFL.

Notable Stats: 61 receptions, 919 receiving yards, 6 TDs

POR Defense: Bruce White, DE (@toofpete, Portland Pythons) POR 

Bruce White is a huge staple of Portland’s defense, and the current leader in sacks within the entire DSFL. In fact, if Bruce White gets at least one sack in the last four games of the season, he will tie the regular season record for sacks in the DSFL, set five seasons ago by Kansas City. If that’s not enough to push him into contention for an award, take his 4 forced fumbles into account. And why not his one safety too?

Notable Stats: 14 sacks, 7 tackles for losses, 4 forced fumbles with one recovery

NOR Offense: Legs McMillion, WR (@jollyjiggs, Norfolk Seawolves) NOR 

I actually originally had a lot more to write about Legs McMillion when I first drafted this article in week 7, but recently he’s actually begun to sputter out a little bit. I think this is a bit of a universal problem for receivers, as the corners and secondary have gotten so much better over the season across all the teams. Norfolk has also begun to spread the wealth, with Sean Robinson and Big McLargeHuge taking a good chunk of receptions. That being said, Legs is still second in receiving yards amongst rookies, and he has been a great kick returner for Norfolk.

Notable Stats: 769 receiving yards, 479 return yards, 4 TDs

BBB Defense: DJ Maclean, LB (@Urq660, Bondi Beach Buccaneers) BBB 

DJ Maclean might not lead the league in any of the stats, but his expertise is well-rounded in many facets here in the DSFL. 70 tackles with 3 tackles for losses, alongside 4 sacks. DJ is one of the biggest threats in Bondi’s well-adjusted defense, and is a huge asset in helping the Buccaneers become the team with the least points against in the entire DSFL. I think Maclean is a sleeper pick for an awards nomination this year.

Notable Stats: 70 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, 4 sacks

Thanks for reading! This is, of course, solely my opinion, as I stated before, and it’s primarily based on a player’s stats rather than how a user contributes to the league; if you’re not mentioned here, sadly, it’s because the sim is gonna sim.

RE: Akou's Arguments for DSFL Rookies of the Year (S41 Edition) - ElMerchanto - 03-17-2023

Didn't Loose Cannon play for the Royals last season? I'm not sure I'd count him as a Rookie as he got a huge TPE headstart from Week 1.

RE: Akou's Arguments for DSFL Rookies of the Year (S41 Edition) - Akoustique - 03-17-2023

(03-17-2023, 01:29 PM)ElMerchanto Wrote: Didn't Loose Cannon play for the Royals last season? I'm not sure I'd count him as a Rookie as he got a huge TPE headstart from Week 1.

Since Loose Cannon was a post-TDL create and waiver last season, as far as I'm aware, he's still considered a rookie this season in relation to the awards.

RE: Akou's Arguments for DSFL Rookies of the Year (S41 Edition) - wizard_literal - 03-17-2023

[Image: BA8sT8b.png]

RE: Akou's Arguments for DSFL Rookies of the Year (S41 Edition) - Purpl3Spartan - 03-19-2023

Bruce White and Emile Charles FTW