International Simulation Football League
*Replacing the Salary Cap with a TPE Cap - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Replacing the Salary Cap with a TPE Cap (/showthread.php?tid=44487)

Pages: 1 2

*Replacing the Salary Cap with a TPE Cap - Swanty - 03-31-2023

Why do leagues have a salary cap? The primary reason is to prevent any one team from dominating.

Major leagues use a salary cap as a proxy for how good a team is. That works because players are human and therefore want as much money as possible. And the better a player is, the higher teams are willing to pay them.

The difference in the ISFL is that the majority of users don't care what they're paid as 1) there is no use for excess money once you've hit a level that most users are able to hit and 2) comparable money can be earned via a number of other sources.

So how do we currently get around that lack of desire for contract money? By forcing teams to pay players more the better they are! The vast majority of contract money currently given out is forced by a tier system that ties TPE to a minimum salary.

So we've got a system where a player's TPE determines what they get paid in order to make a team's total salary a rough proxy for how good they are, allowing the salary cap to act as a way to prevent a dominant team from emerging, but allowing next to no fun or flexibility in contracts.

But we have something that the major leagues don't have. We have a metric that objectively tells us how good a player is: TPE. So why aren't we making teams adhere to a TPE cap rather than a budget cap?

It would be a far more reliable way to do what the cap is intended for, and we wouldn't need to fudge the inputs by deciding what a player should get paid, with the team having practically no say in how they want to pay their players, and players having practically no say in what they want to paid.

If we had a TPE cap, teams would still have a fixed pot of money each season to use for contracts, but we wouldn't need to set rules around how to pay people. This allows for a lot more creativity and player agency!

- Are you a GM who wants to play for $0 to have more money to pay other players?
- Do you want to pay your max earners a token sum but pay your rookies enough to make sure they can all buy T6?
- Do you want to earn $69,420 per season?
- Are you a free agent who wants to demand the ISFL's first ever $50M contract?

All of this could be possible if we relied on a TPE cap to keep things balanced and unlocked the rulebook on contracts.

The main three reasons I think this would be a good thing for the league:
  1. Make contracts more fun and flexible, unlocking a whole host of possibilities
  2. Reduce the workload for GMs to tactically manage contracts
  3. Make it easier to prevent imbalanced teams forming

A few specific caveats that I think would need to be part of a new system:
  • A player's TPE cap hit for an upcoming season is determined by their tracker TPE after the final update of last season. That way, a GM knows after the final update what their existing roster will 'cost'. A player's individual cap hit is fixed throughout the season and only recalculates after the final update of the season.
  • The maximum TPE cap hit a player can cost is 1000 TPE. This is to prevent users being disincentivised to apply TPE all the way to the max and for maxed 1500 TPE players hurting a team.
  • Cap allowances could be considered for certain positions, like OL or K (say a 50% discount)

I'm keen to hear people's reasons for why this wouldn't work and there are likely some complications to work out before this could go anywhere, so if anyone else has any thoughts, comments or ideas, please feel free to post below.

RE: Replacing the Salary Cap with a TPE Cap - Frostbite - 03-31-2023

I’m just confused how the actual salary cap would work with this? You said a player could get a 50m contract, but I’m just interested how the salary cap would coincide with a tpe cap as that could be used pretty easily to just buy all their players equipment lol.

Also interested how we could incorporate contracts into this as a big aspect of all sports is rookie contracts and how you build around rookie contracts. So if we were to move to a tpe cap maybe instead of a total TPE updating every season maybe it’s more of a range they sign. For example if a team drafts a player in the first they’re able to play under a 200 tpe contract for 3 seasons. And since the contract isn’t money related we could even change the way the draft works. 4 seasons with a 200 tpe contract if player was drafted in the first for example. Or we could even do 4th/5th year options like the nfl:eyes:. Then after the rookie contract it could move to updating every offseason. This could also deter players from leaving after one season with a team as then once they hit FA the 3 year contract would be voided and team they go to would have to spend more cap on them.

I actually think this idea has a lot of potential.

RE: Replacing the Salary Cap with a TPE Cap - Swanty - 03-31-2023

(03-31-2023, 05:39 AM)Frostbite Wrote: I’m just confused how the actual salary cap would work with this? You said a player could get a 50m contract, but I’m just interested how the salary cap would coincide with a tpe cap as that could be used pretty easily to just buy all their players equipment lol.

Also interested how we could incorporate contracts into this as a big aspect of all sports is rookie contracts and how you build around rookie contracts. So if we were to move to a tpe cap maybe instead of a total TPE updating every season maybe it’s more of a range they sign. For example if a team drafts a player in the first they’re able to play under a 200 tpe contract for 3 seasons. And since the contract isn’t money related we could even change the way the draft works. 4 seasons with a 200 tpe contract if player was drafted in the first for example. Or we could even do 4th/5th year options like the nfl:eyes:. Then after the rookie contract it could move to updating every offseason. This could also deter players from leaving after one season with a team as then once they hit FA the 3 year contract would be voided and team they go to would have to spend more cap on them.

I actually think this idea has a lot of potential.

That would definitely be interesting to explore!

Re the first point, I guess I meant in terms of total contract value, but now that I think about it, there have probably been plenty of contracts worth $50m already!

Teams would still have a fixed pot of money, so they couldn't just make every player billionaires. Not sure what amount that should be, but I don't see why it couldn't stay at the current $80m.

RE: Replacing the Salary Cap with a TPE Cap - Raven - 03-31-2023

Oh hell yeah it's GOMHL time

RE: Replacing the Salary Cap with a TPE Cap - Modern_Duke - 03-31-2023

-current contract system with minimums scaled by tpe range is already basically designed to do this
-haven’t looked at numbers but league “talent” might fluctuate a lot (total league tpe in ~S30 when S22/S25 players were peaking might have been a lot higher than now when peak players are from smaller classes). So the tpe cap might not be a simple thing like $80m set it and forget it. Might need adjusting every season, making long term or medium term contract planning difficult
-my whole gimmick on this player is based on the current salary system. I thought you were cool man

RE: Replacing the Salary Cap with a TPE Cap - infinitempg - 03-31-2023

(03-31-2023, 04:48 AM)Swanty Wrote: - Do you want to earn $69,420 per season?

say no more i'm voting yes

RE: Replacing the Salary Cap with a TPE Cap - OrbitingDeath - 03-31-2023

(03-31-2023, 06:24 AM)Raven Wrote: Oh hell yeah it's GOMHL time

[Image: png-transparent-pokemon-x-and-y-pokemon-...racter.png]

RE: Replacing the Salary Cap with a TPE Cap - aeonsjenni - 03-31-2023

I very much like this idea, one consideration I would make would be to tie a player's TPE cap hit exactly to their contract, so that team-building and contract structure stays the same for team balance. I would like to see the concept somewhat abstractified (not a real word but whatever), so you could say that a team has 160 cap points available, and each contract they have on the books eats into that cap. So instead of the current contract minimums, you could have:

<200 TPE: 1 cap point
200 - 399 TPE: 2 cap points
400 - 599 TPE: 4 cap points
600 - 799 TPE: 6 cap points
800 - 999 TPE: 8 cap points
1000+ TPE: 10 cap points

And through all of this you would exactly replicate the current cap system, and GMs would not need to change strategies and the current balance would not be affected whatsoever, BUT you'd still get all of the benefits of teams being able to hand out money to their players in ways that can be fun!

One thing that I think could be a great benefit of this kind of system is that there are a ton of people who are very active in locker rooms and teams very much like having around but they don't have the time or energy to fully earn the league money needed to buy equipment and all that. In the new system teams could award these players with the money they would need for equipment and so on. After all, league money is really supposed to be a reflection of league activity and contributions, and in a lot of ways these people are just as vital as the people who make media or graphics or whatever. Alternatively you could use that money to bridge the gap for people who earn some money off of a league job or something but not enough to max-earn. However writing all of this out does make me think the team budget could potentially be reduced to $40M instead, or something along those lines, so as to limit abuse.

RE: Replacing the Salary Cap with a TPE Cap - qWest - 03-31-2023

The league has been very against any kind of user to user transaction and, while this doesn't tread totally into that territory, I do worry how this system would affect the overall league economy, league jobs etc. I do believe that this would overall lead to a significant TPE boom and a potential competitive imbalance, as smart teams with players that want to win a championship will distribute the salaries to the poorest players, allowing those players to access an additional 30 - 60 TPE per season that they might not have otherwise gained. Ultimately the TPE cap should prevent too much of an imbalance competitively, but I do worry that it will make users working a league job or making media feel less rewarded when they could just try to demand a big chunk of salary from a team and not waste the time contributing to the league.

RE: Replacing the Salary Cap with a TPE Cap - aeonsjenni - 03-31-2023

(03-31-2023, 07:36 AM)qWest Wrote: The league has been very against any kind of user to user transaction and, while this doesn't tread totally into that territory, I do worry how this system would affect the overall league economy, league jobs etc. I do believe that this would overall lead to a significant TPE boom and a potential competitive imbalance, as smart teams with players that want to win a championship will distribute the salaries to the poorest players, allowing those players to access an additional 30 - 60 TPE per season that they might not have otherwise gained. Ultimately the TPE cap should prevent too much of an imbalance competitively, but I do worry that it will make users working a league job or making media feel less rewarded when they could just try to demand a big chunk of salary from a team and not waste the time contributing to the league.

sure, but no matter how much a team is throwing money at a player they still need to be active to update their player and make use of it. Thus teams will only actually give their money to people they expect to be somewhat active, and in that way I think it can be a nice reward to players that don't earn money right now but are nevertheless valued in the locker room.

Edit: you could significantly reduce the amount of money a team is able to hand out each season to limit abuses, of course, but I don't think 2-3 players on each team being able to buy max equipment each season is really going to fuck up the balance of the league