International Simulation Football League
*Grading My Draft Needs Media Post S41 Draft - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Grading My Draft Needs Media Post S41 Draft (/showthread.php?tid=44873)

Pages: 1 2

*Grading My Draft Needs Media Post S41 Draft - TheRake - 04-10-2023

Draft Needs Media: https://forums.sim-football.com/showthread.php?tid=44594

Now that the S41 ISFL draft is in the books, let’s review my draft needs article from last week and see how well I did in predicting what I thought each team should be targeting in the draft! As the players I picked for ‘Best Fit’ were mostly just based on position and not the actual player or user, I will not be grading if I got the exact player right for each team but only if I nailed the position of need. I will be looking at each team using the original draft order before trades.

EDIT: Y'ALL, THIS IS GRADING MYSELF ON WHAT I THOUGHT EACH TEAM NEEDED, NOT A DRAFT GRADE FOR THE TEAM'S PICKS!

New York Silverbacks
Predicted Needs: S, DE, DT
Draft Picks:
1.1 Dub Redd – DT
2.1 Loose Cannon – LB
3.6 Sean Robinson – WR
3.10 The Riddler – WR
6.1 Bradley Welch, Jr – CB
6.4 Saveour Piethons – CB
7.1 Slim Reaper – WR

Summary: New York took a big position of need (and great user in @wizard_literal) at 1 overall filling one of my predicted needs. The rest of my predicted needs did not come to fruition unless LB Loose Cannon is played at DE and one of late round CBs Bradley Welch, Jr or Saveour Piethons is played at Safety, in which case I would give myself an A+.  I did not have WR as a position of need but the Silverbacks took three of them overall and two of them in the third round, which included Sean Robinson and The Riddler.

Prediction Grade: B- (with a potential A+ pending position switches)

Baltimore Hawks
Predicted Needs: RB, TE, LB, OL
Draft Picks:
5.2 Frederick Carlson – DE
5.10 Bubba Chubb – OL
5.11 Myrtle Beach Tolliver – LB
6.2 Garrett Cheetahman – WR
7.2 Luca Rossi – DT

Summary: Draft capital was light for the Hawks this season, with their first pick not coming until the 5th round, but they used it to address half of their needs as I predicted. Using two of their first three picks on OL and LB confirms my priors of what the Hawks were in the market for but I am surprised they went DE first and did not take any WRs (although none of their needs were dire).

Prediction Grade: B

Honolulu Hahalua
Predicted Needs: S, OL, K/P
Draft Picks:
1.3 Billy Jor-El – DT
2.3 Ray Baker – K/P
3.8 Liath Squirrel – LB
4.3 Trent Silverback – OL
6.3 Offe Panic – DT
7.3 John Smith – DE

Summary: Honolulu came into the draft with three glaring needs and addressed two of them. They absolutely needed to come out of this draft with a Kicker and they wisely made Ray Baker the first K/P off the board. Trent Silverback in the 4th was a steal and should shore up the OL. Surprised the Hahalua passed on secondary players altogether though, as they could have both drafted a sure fire future HOF S in Rico Savage and hit a major need all in one pick in the first round. You really have to wonder if @IceBear32and @MMFLEX had one too many Mai Tais on draft night…

Prediction Grade: B-

San Jose SabreCats
Predicted Needs: WR, OL, LB
Draft Picks:
2.2 Jumbo Edward – DT
2.11 DJ Maclean – LB
3.4 Diego Lopez Alonso – WR
3.9 Modest Mussorgsky – OL
4.1 Otto The Orange – TE
5.4 Kenny Szymborski – TE
7.4 Samuel Nelson – DE

Summary: While the Cats did not take one of my positions of need with their first pick, they got a steal in DT Jumbo Edward, the leading vote getter for 1st round predictions at the second pick of round 2. After that though, San Jose snagged three straight positions of need in DJ Maclean, DLA, and Modest Mussorgsky, whose name I can’t even say right in my head let alone out loud on a live draft stream. Overall, this might be the best team needs prediction as all three needs were hit in the first three rounds of the draft.

Prediction Grade: A+

Berlin Fire Salamanders
Predicted Needs: OL, LB, DE
Draft Picks:
2.5 Emile Charles – WR
3.1 Burnt Toast – TE
3.3 Nick Williams – TE
3.5 Lukas van Ness – DE
4.10 Forozka Duanei – WR
5.5 Ivan Baldwin – CB
5.12 Pierce Hawthorn – TE
6.5 Atlas Kirby – DT
7.5 Aleksander Reznikov – LB

Summary: Berlin did not have a lot of holes going into the draft but my analysis of their needs seems to have been way off. Without a first rounder but three picks in the third, the Salamanders took 2 WRs and 2TEs with a single DE in between. I must have misread their roster because the back to back TE picks is throwing me for a loop unless there’s position change happening. I will give myself credit for the Lukas Van Ness pick but not much else here I hit on even though they did take an LB in the final round.

Prediction Grade: C-

New Orleans Second Line
Predicted Needs: DE, LB, S, RB, OL, CB
Draft Picks:
1.5 Ezra Azazel – CB
1.6 Bruce “REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEACH” White - DE
2.6 Kyle Crane – RB
5.1 Rodney Rosadino – LB
6.6 William Barkley – TE
7.6 Nwoye Musa – DT

Summary: No team had a worse draft than NOLA, taking arguably the biggest reach in the draft at 1.6. Bitter feelings and jokes aside, the Second Line hit on three needs early on with former RB turned CB Ezra Azazel, DE Bruce White and RB Kyle Crane but had to wait three more rounds before filling in a third need with LB Rodney Rosadino. And while they did not draft anyone at S or OL, there was only so much they could acquire with their draft capital and may have to play someone out of position.

Prediction Grade: A

Colorado Yeti
Predicted Needs: WR, LB, S
Draft Picks:
1.2 Mary Marie – S
1.7 Craig Brand – LB
1.11 Wolfie Mcdummy Jr – QB
3.2 Synystyr Gates – CB
5.7 Banjo O’Kudah – CB
6.7 Spooky Diddler III – LB
7.7 Quarl Walkins III - RB

Summary: The Yeti came into the draft with three needs and three first round picks and absolutely crushed it. Colorado took what many consider the top user in S Mary Marie, followed that up with LB Craig Brand, and while it may appear that the letters QB do not equal WR, a position switch by their current QB to WR gives them an immediate boost at the position while Wolfie McDummy Jr takes over. Many are saying Colorado had the best draft out of anyone and it is hard to disagree, even though some behind the scenes forces may have played a part!

Prediction Grade: A+

Sarasota Sailfish
Predicted Needs: S, OL
Draft Picks:
1.8 Max Honestly – LB
2.7 Artemis Entreri – WR
4.2 Damarcus Cole – DT
5.3 Eilliot Berry – RB
5.8 King Dedede – LB
6.8 Mr. Robb – S

Summary: Another prime example of why I am not a GM yet, whiffed on Sarasota’s needs pretty badly this draft. They drafted 0 OL and only took a S with their last pick, saving me from a flat out F grade. I will come back to this after S41 is over and see how many sacks their OL gave up to see if I get some vindication.

Prediction Grade: D-

Austin Copperheads
Predicted Needs: K/P, WR, LB
Draft Picks:
1.9 Oliver Tolliver – WR
4.5 Ryan Knock – LB
4.9 Leanthony Ledavis – WR
5.9 Great Khali – OL
6.9 Albert Einstein – LB

Summary: Another team light on picks, the Copperheads hit a big need early with WR Oliver Tolliver and had to wait another three rounds before going need, need again with LB Ryan Knock and WR Leanthony Ledavis. And while they did not draft a K/P at all, they filled their most important needs with their few picks.

Prediction Grade: A-

Cape Town Crash
Predicted Needs: LBx3
Draft Picks:
1.10 Legs McMillion – CB
2.4 Rolud Onyxgut – DE
2.9 Justin Willis – OL
2.10 Jason Steele – DT
4.11 Bob Kickerson – K/P
4.14 Sticky Hands – RB
5.14 Bigton Hammer – LB
6.10 Donny Doofenshmirtz – TE

Summary: While the Crash loaded up on tons of talent in this draft with the likes of Legs McMillion, Rolud Onyxgut, Justin Willis, and an absolute steal in the 4th round in Sticky Hands, they hit absolutely 0 of the needs I predicted with their 4 high draft picks, instead, waiting until round 5 to take an LB. I considered LB the most pressing need for the Crash but it seems their GMs had a different eval of their roster.

Edit: I've been informed that Rolud Onyxgut is being moved to LB! Huzzah!

Prediction Grade: D+ EDIT: Giving myself a C+!

Orange County Otters
Predicted Needs: S, TE, LB, CB
Draft Picks:
1.4 John Stark VIII – LB
3.11 Lloyd Bannings – QB
4.7 Leo Stud – LB
5.6 Joshua Mabry – OL
6.11 Akele Kekela – RB

Summary: With limited draft picks to work with, the Otters did address the holes in their roster but only at the LB position with John Stark VIII and middle round steal Leo Stud. My predicted needs at CB, TE, and S largely went unaddressed in this draft so I will be interested to see what OCO does as far as position switches to field an optimal lineup.

Prediction Grade: C+

Chicago Butchers
Predicted Needs: S, OL, LB
Draft Picks:
1.12 Rico Savage – S
2.12 Bill Cravy – CB
3.12 Jake Jefferson – QB
4.4 Faust Leercor – DE
4.12 Amanda Hugandkiss – S
6.12 Icepick O’Hullihan – S

Summary: The Butchers went almost entirely one sided in their draft this season, taking only one offensive player in third round pick QB Jake Jefferson. While I identified S as a big need for Chicago, I was not expecting them to draft three of them! To add to that trio, CB Bill Cravy and DE Faust Leercor rounded out this defense heavy draft. While it looks like they didn’t address the LB position, early indications from management are that some of these new draft picks will play out of position while they get their feet wet in the ISFL. The only position ignored entirely was OL and will have to be filled in a future draft.

Prediction Grade: B-

Yellowknife Wraiths
Predicted Needs: WR, LB
Draft Picks:
1.13 Kadarius Claypool, II – CB
2.13 Terry Johnson – LB
3.13 Orga Panda – WR
4.13 Andrija Divac – TE
5.13 Garth Silver – S
6.13 Wade Right – K/P

Summary: Yellowknife has been to back to back Ultimus games, winning one but losing the most recent so I was interested to see if I was fit to go toe to toe with their GMs. Turns out I did a pretty good job, all things considered. While CB was not an identified need, Kadarius Claypool is an outstanding user. Their next two picks hit both my predicted needs, drafting Gumbaman’s LB and Juni’s WR in back to back picks. With very few needs, the Wraiths shored up their team with great picks to continue their push for a dynasty.

Arizona Outlaws
Predicted Needs: TE, WR, CB, S
Draft Picks:
1.14 Benji Aguilera – WR
2.8 Logjammed McBobface – LB
2.14 Benjamin Duvernay – CB
3.7 Brian Vincent-Vega – S
3.14 Beeg Beeg Yoshi, Jr – OL
4.8 Scruffy The Janitor – DT
6.14 Cheeky Lad – OL

Summary: The crème de la crème, Arizona’s draft strategy has done nothing but bear championship after championship so similar to YKW, I was interested to see if I could identify the correct gaps in their rosters. I am happy to report I did a pretty great job, nailing the need for WR, CB, and S. Their first pick, Benji Aguilera, will spend one season in the DSFL before stepping straight into a starting role in their high powered offense while Benjamin Duvernay and Brian Vincent-Vega should be called upon sooner rather than later to shore up the secondary.

500 Word ISFL Suck Up Appreciation Post
Oh, how I love thee ISFL, let me count the ways. I think first and foremost has been the great community, which at this point is very cliche to say but it really is the truth! The sense of comradery I have formed with my fellow rookie classmates in the DSFL rookie discord as well as my Norfolk Seawolves teammates has been one of my favorite aspects. @aeonsjenni @CROney3 @UptownCord @Weaves @jollyjiggs @wizard_literal @18situaseans @crash1005 and @Urq660 just to name a few! I also think that the rookie mentors and GMs in the DSFL discord deserve a lot of credit for answering the same questions over and over and ensuring every rookie understands what’s going on and what kind of commitment the ISFL is. Would specifically shout out @Thor and @RussDrivesTheBus for explaining things to me early on until I caught on well enough. From Norfolk specifically, @lordcoolcats has been awesome since I joined the locker room and invited me into the Seawolves War Room early on and helped me get started on game planning, which I have had a really fun time learning how to do. @Gumbaman was also integral in teaching me the sim and I thought he was an outstanding choice for GM of Norfolk (jury is still out on @Hydrium though!). I have only just joined the Chicago Butcher’s locker room but they seem like they will carry on the tradition of great people to interact with, even if some in there refuse to play modern games (cc: @TheCC). Special shout out to @Painted and his girlfriend for doing some IRL scouting when we met up at a nearby brewery after learning we were in the same area! Finally, I would like to shout out the entire #football-talk-and-rant channel in the ISFL discord. I am a huge fan of debating, especially in the area of football strategy, and I have spent (way too many) hours having those discussions in there with a multitude of users. There are too many to shout out but they all deserve recognition for putting up with me!

Another aspect I enjoy that kind of ties in with community, is the variety of users we have in the ISFL that I have interacted with. They come from all over the globe, to include Peru (@DL14), Scotland (@Urq660 & @aeonsjenni), and Sweden (@"LeSizz"), with a variety of backgrounds and chatting with them, hearing their stories and how they got into football, has been a real joy. I got to do a podcast with someone (@Thor) in Australia! I definitely wouldn’t have had that opportunity outside of this league. It was also a surprise to learn that there are a LOT of users who live in and around the DC metro area. Within the first month of joining the league, I was invited to meet up for a beer at a nearby brewery and an XFL game (which is happening this weekend!) which I would not have otherwise attended as it is hard to find other football obsessives who’d spend a perfectly fine Sunday afternoon watching Spring Football.

Lastly but not leastly, one of the best parts of the ISFL has been my mostly friendly rivalry with @toofpete. We have been good friends for nearly two decades and have been competitive with each other for nearly that entire time. Those that have interacted with me can only imagine the terror I have put Toofpete through over the years! I think I would have probably enjoyed the ISFL well enough without his presence in the league, but it is undeniable that him being in the league with me has made it exponentially better. Whether it be the friendly banter in the discord server, the weekly podcast we do together, or just DMing on the side about how we are building our players or media article ideas, I can’t imagine it would have been nearly this much fun without that Absolute Unit.

RE: Grading My Draft Needs Media Post S41 Draft - negs - 04-10-2023

Aye we didn’t fail

RE: Grading My Draft Needs Media Post S41 Draft - TheRake - 04-10-2023

(04-10-2023, 03:11 PM)negs Wrote: Aye we didn’t fail
Not a grade of your drafting skills lol. Graded my ability to analyze your team's needs

RE: Grading My Draft Needs Media Post S41 Draft - CROney3 - 04-10-2023

(04-10-2023, 03:31 PM)TheRake Wrote:
(04-10-2023, 03:11 PM)negs Wrote: Aye we didn’t fail
Not a grade of your drafting skills lol. Graded my ability to analyze your team's needs

But don't worry @negs, come read my article for that sweet confirmation bias.

C'mon don't be self promoting on my article! @CROney3

RE: Grading My Draft Needs Media Post S41 Draft - CROney3 - 04-10-2023

(04-10-2023, 04:21 PM)TheRake Wrote: C'mon don't be self promoting on my article! @CROney3

We getting paid either way baby. Exposure exposure exposure

RE: Grading My Draft Needs Media Post S41 Draft - Painted - 04-10-2023

The team that drafted this dude only got a B-. smh my head

(04-10-2023, 06:29 PM)Painted Wrote: The team that drafted this dude only got a B-. smh my head
[Image: 7hpm8v.jpg]

RE: Grading My Draft Needs Media Post S41 Draft - Painted - 04-10-2023

(04-10-2023, 07:52 PM)TheRake Wrote:
(04-10-2023, 06:29 PM)Painted Wrote: The team that drafted this dude only got a B-. smh my head
[Image: 7hpm8v.jpg]
Imagine reading the word "predictions". Couldn't be me

RE: Grading My Draft Needs Media Post S41 Draft - toofpete - 04-10-2023

I'm not crying... It was raining on my face just a minute ago. I think someone was chopping onions too. 
How dare your be nice to me...
Now I have to go and delete my Rico Savage hit piece article I was working on. Thanks a lot.