International Simulation Football League
*ISFL is Love, ISFL is Life - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *ISFL is Love, ISFL is Life (/showthread.php?tid=45015)

*ISFL is Love, ISFL is Life - LtHudz - 04-14-2023

It was a cold winter day on February 1st, 2023, the forecast barely over freezing temperatures. Of course, I barely felt the weather as I was inside in the warmth; procrastinating on my phone and browsing the NFL subreddit. I happened across a post for some "simulation football league" and just decided to give it a read. "Sure sounds interesting and all, and I'm looking for a new hobby, might as well give it a go," I thought to myself, as I began to pry open Pandora's box. Yet I did not stumble into just a hobby; I fell into a full-fledged addiction. So many people in this community opened their arms wide and embraced my descent into madness, and I can not thank them enough.

As I began to stumble my way through the forum and fumble around the rookie discord, I had numerous questions. Like, what the heck is an update page? How do I make my player any good? What the heck do I write about for media? @RussDrivesTheBus, @ZootTX, @Raven, and @Akoustique were beyond helpful getting me up to speed and answering all of my questions. My many, many questions. And fixing my many, many first time rookie training purchases (here's lookin at you, @Raven). They were fantastic guiding me and wrangled this unruly S41 rookie class with finesse. Yet there was one person in particular who really drew me in on the rookie discord; @SnowyWolfz. Snowy and I hit it off right off the bat, immediately shit posting and just having a laugh together from the start, giving the rookie mentor team a hard time whenever we could. He was a huge reason why I continued to come back to the server in the early days and has been a good friend in the Minnesota locker room since (good luck in Kansas City!). I was even called his multi at the beginning a few times; still might be true…

Once the DSFL draft came and went, my addiction was basically set in stone. I needed that ISFL bump every morning. My work became less productive. My wife would roll her eyes at me as the glow of my phone illuminated my soulless gaze, an exasperated “that football thing again?” escaping just loud enough for me to hear. Intentionally just loud enough. What better way to help an addict than to call out to them from a dark alley offering them exactly what they desire; war room access. Pulling aside their trench coats, my two Minnesota GMs @Dindog and @TwoSocks offered me that sweet, sweet game planning and sim testing high. Who knew the league could offer even more of what I craved? Football math? This football nerd found nirvana. But it wasn’t enough. @Dindog couldn’t just leave it well enough alone. No. He saw this addict and thought, this is a man that needs more. A man that MUST have more. So he took my hand, which I at that point was like leading a moth to a flame, and led me to the ISFL Town of Salem discord server.

Now, I think if we took a poll of every active user, I believe the vast majority of us would agree that the greatest part of this league is, hands down, the camaraderie formed throughout the various little communities we have here. This is the final ISFL hook that sinks itself deepest into you; the premier offering that once you have that experience, you keep coming back again and again. Your addiction is set and you can not go back . Whether it be the rookie and league servers, the locker rooms, or the unique side servers you find, once you find those places you love, you can never leave. There are some real hidden gems out there connected to this league that I have had the pleasure of being a part of. If you do not know about the ISFL Town of Salem server, you owe it to yourself to check it out. This may be my purest ISFL addiction yet, as I am having a fantastic time while doing something completely non-league related. I have met so many awesome people on that server who I may have never met otherwise. I'm going to try to list everyone but there are too many of you (or I can’t figure out your ISFL username) so if I forget anyone please forgive me. Here goes: @Asked Madden Astro Atox @Bayley Buttersilkpanflakes @domffl @firstfray @Gadget @Hordle Jh8 @Kobefromthefrobe @mithrandir @MMFLEX @TheNC206 @ThunderTitan82 @unconfident @UptownCord @xenosthelegend @TubbyTim69 Zayn @zeagle1. I left some people out who I have mentioned before or will get shout outs to later (or people I haven’t really gotten the opportunity to play with a bunch). Just know you're all amazing and I never trust any of you. A lot of times when you find yourself as a newbie in the league, you stick to the people in your locker rooms; however, this server has really allowed me to branch out to many other people in a fun, light hearted setting. Once I found myself in different locker rooms during the scouting process, it was really nice to see some familiar faces from this server. On a similar note, I want to show appreciation to @RussDrivesTheBus for inviting me to help out in the ISFL NFL draft and @Asked Madden for giving me the Auditor job. Both of these have been a great time and I have gotten the opportunity to meet some great people there as well.

Finally, I want to talk about a few people in Honolulu. @MMFLEX has been great to get to know, on the Town of Salem server, during scouting, helping me with testing ideas while I was in Minnesota, and now in Honolulu. I can't wait to play some rocket league together once we find a third. And lastly, I really have to shout out @IceBear32. I've been having some really great conversations with him, well before the quarter point of the DSFL season. Whether just shooting the shit or working on an ISFL championship ring idea (I haven't forgotten!), IceBear has just been a chill dude to get to know and I do not think he should ever be fired.

Although I have not been a member for long, I think I have found an awesome place. I may have been looking for a hobby to pass the time, but what I found is quickly becoming a passion. I look forward to getting to know even more of you over many more seasons.

RE: ISFL is Love, ISFL is Life - firstfray - 04-14-2023

I smell some BS, vigi shoot Hudz tonight

RE: ISFL is Love, ISFL is Life - Asked Madden - 04-14-2023

Big Arso energy!
No you've been killing it in Auditing so, thank you for being awesome!

RE: ISFL is Love, ISFL is Life - Gadget - 04-14-2023

Jailor can you Jail / Execute Hudz tonight?

RE: ISFL is Love, ISFL is Life - moonlight - 04-14-2023

Quote:and I do not think he should ever be fired

I imagined @IceBear32 behind you as you typed this  Big Grin

Welcome to the team

RE: ISFL is Love, ISFL is Life - SnowyWolfz - 04-14-2023

Awww, thank you for the kind words Hudz!! I love talking to you and you brought a lot more enjoyment for myself and others! You've definitely thrown yourself through a wormhole of dedication and a hell of a time sink (cause that's what this is, sorry not sorry lmao) but a good time sink! I'm so glad that you're still around and kickin! And you even dove into the War Room and sim side of things really quickly! I just adore the fact that you've developed such a love for the league just as most others here have! You're definitely not a multi of me. I swear...maybe. But in all seriousness, keep being you my guy! Can't wait to see what you do in the league and what you have in store!

P.S.

We still need to hangout sometime and get a drink maybe!

RE: *ISFL is Love, ISFL is Life - .HoshinoIchika - 02-26-2024

smh you could've just told me you want survivor next game