International Simulation Football League
*Toofpete Interviews Rico Savage - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Toofpete Interviews Rico Savage (/showthread.php?tid=45089)

*Toofpete Interviews Rico Savage - toofpete - 04-16-2023

Recently I had the pleasure of sitting down with one of the ISFL's up and coming stud Safeties, Rico Savage, as we talked about his journey to the pros, his time in the DSFL, his friendship with Bruce White, and his future in the ISFL! 

Toofpete: The Man, the Myth, the Legend himself, Rico Savage. First of all, I have to say I've been a big fan for a long time and it's been fun watching you throughout your career, but definitely this year as a rookie in the DSFL for the Norfolk Seawolves. I think most would agree with me that a playoff appearance and some strong outings as a rookie would classify as a successful first season, but tell me in your own words how it felt playing and finishing out your first season as a professional?

Rico Savage: It felt great, honestly. I think I struggled a little bit in the beginning of the season to get my footing but after about Week 7 I completely revamped my training regimen, game plan, and approach to the game. I started out trying to be the ball hawk I was in high school and in college but the quarterbacks at this level either weren't as easy to read or didn't fall for my old tricks. I just felt like I wasn't making a big enough impact on the field. After discussing it with my coaches and teammates I decided it was best if I switched my mentality to being more of an old school enforcer. I think the results post week 7 speak for themselves. I think simplifying how I played down to “see ball, hit ball” really helped slow the game down for me and allowed me to become the impact player that I was drafted to be. There were a few games where my play enabled us to get the victory and that felt really good. And even though we came up short in the playoffs, being one of the reasons that our team finished first overall in the regular season still feels like a huge accomplishment.

Toofpete: After so much early success in the DSFL and playing a premium position in the league, you've firmly planted yourself as one of the highest touted prospects in the S41 ISFL Draft Class, what has the process been like for you and what do you think is one thing that makes you stand out from some of these other high level defensive prospects with players like Mary Marie, Bruce White, Kadarius Claypool, Jumbo Edwards, and Ezra Azazel?

Rico: The process has been fun! I was able to talk to many teams and see very different versions of the scouting process. I felt like I meshed with some teams better than others but overall, it was a really pleasant experience. I even got to have a beer with one of the GMs and get to know them on a more personal level. I credit that meeting with the reason I was able to be blessed with being a first round pick. As far as standing out, I just try to be as active as possible while still being myself. I think my personality maybe rub some important people the wrong way, but I can't really worry about that. I let my play on the field do the talking, and if there's still any doubt left my contributions off the field put me over the top. With that being said, there was no doubt that this was a loaded draft class for defensive prospects and even in my position not even I am crazy enough to be upset that Mary Marie was the first safety taken. I only had two goals going into draft night, get drafted in the first round and get drafted before my BFF Bruce White. Unfortunately, only one of those goals was fulfilled. But all kidding aside, I'm super happy for Bruce and I'm more than content going to Chicago as their first round pick.

Toofpete: Now one main aspect of looking at the draft is wondering where players are going to go. There's seemingly an entire industry built around mock drafts leading up to actual draft day, but one thing we never do is ask the players where they would like to go. Did you have any team or city preferences going into draft day?

Rico: I honestly didn't, I'm kind of a homebody so as long as the city I went to had a good food scene and decent weather I was going to be content (sorry Yellowknife!). I ended up in Chicago which has incredible food but not incredible weather! I guess I'll have to bundle up during those cold winters while I'm doing food runs for some delicious Italian beef sandwiches or deep dish pizza!

Toofpete: Now we can all agree that preparation is key. A lot of prospects are busy preparing to get drafted and go into their rookie season in the ISFL, hoping for that call up. What did you do to prepare yourself for the draft and moving on to the highest level of football in the ISFL? Are you doing the same things you've always done or have you changed up the way you prepare at all?

Rico: I've more or less kept everything the same. I'm a creature of habit and I wanted to stay in my routine. After our postseason was cut short, I went back down to my alma mater, the University of South Florida, to keep training and to keep warm! This first season in the DSFL opened my eyes that this league wouldn't be a cakewalk, so I've crossed all my T's and made sure to dot all my I’s so that I don't find myself in the same position I did midway through this season. I think the DSFL is such a great place to learn and I'm not going to throw all that knowledge away. I'm hoping to build on this season I just had so that I can make a name for myself in the highest tier of football.

Toofpete: Going back to this past season with Norfolk in the DSFL, what was the one moment that stuck out to you more than any other in your rookie year? Is there any memory, good or bad, that will stay with you as you make your move up into the ISFL?

Rico: Week 11 when we played the Kansas City Coyotes I was able to come up with a forced fumble, fumble recovery, and an INT which was all needed in order to win that game and keep us in the running for the number one overall seed. That game solidified my new approach to the game and really reinforced my decision to switch archetypes. Up until that game, I was a decent player but that game turned me into a playmaker. I don't think it's hyperbole to say that without that game I probably don't go in the first round of the ISFL draft

Toofpete: With this move up to the next level what are your biggest aspirations or goals for yourself? We know your friend Bruce always likes to say "Ultimus or Bust", but is it all about the Ultimus for you? What else would you like to accomplish at the next level?

Rico: I'm of the opinion that there's a symbiotic relationship between winning as a team and winning individual awards. I think it's really hard to win one without the other so I'm going to focus on being my best self and I expect that will lead to more team success. I'm not going to lie, when all is said and done I want to be remembered as one of the best safeties in the history of the league. That means defensive player of the year as many times as I can get it. With all that being said, if I only had to choose one, I would pick an Ultimus championship over an award.

Toofpete: Speaking of Bruce, we know you two have one of the more entertaining relationships that we've seen in the DSFL in a long time. You're both hyper competitive, but in a brotherly kind of way. This friendship started in High School and has grown since then, what can you say about your boy Bruce and are you hoping you guys get to team up together on the same defense in the ISFL some day?

Rico: I'll answer your last question first. I don't wanna get entrapped in another T word scandal right as I enter the league. However, we only ever got to play together once during a football camp in high school where our friendship blossomed and we were a dominant duo. If we could somehow recreate that at this level, I think it's safe to say that the results would be similar. Bruce is a great player and someone I expect to see at the top of the leaderboard in sacks every season. I think anything less for Bruce would be failure. And I don't say that lightly, it's just the type of player and person he is. In order to be great, you have to expect greatness always.

Toofpete: What's the most exciting thing about being drafted by Chicago and what do you think the Butchers can accomplish next season?

Rico: I think the most exciting thing is the opportunity! As everyone knows Chicago is in desperate need of some secondary help as you can see by their draft. The opportunity to step right in and play immediately is definitely what I'm looking forward to the most. I told a lot of teams that I wouldn't mind staying in the DSFL for one more season, but that was kind of a white lie, I really wanted to get in and get my hands dirty immediately. I think the sky is the limit for Chicago this season. They're gonna be starting a lot of rookies at important positions, but if they continue to earn and be active as they have been, I believe that that hard work will overcome their inexperience. Chicago kind of overachieved last season so all the pressure is on us to prove that we belong with the top tier of teams.

Toofpete: How did it feel getting drafted after your buddy Bruce White, yet again?

Rico: You know Bruce and I have always had a friendly rivalry and it doesn't go beyond that. It's a whole lot of banter, a whole lot of trash talk, but at the end of the day we both want to see each other succeed. There's no shame in being drafted after the DSFL MVP especially when you consider that safety is not a premier position in the ISFL. There was some chatter about Bruce and I being drafted to the same team, and while that would have been really fun, I think it'll be more fun competing against Bruce. Maybe when we're into our post primes we can try to link up for one last run at an Ultimus, but until then, I'm going to try to steal as many accolades from him as I can.

Toofpete: What do you have to say to all the ISFL teams who passed on you in the draft? Do you have any ill will towards those teams? Did they create bulletin board material for you, or is this just a part of the business for you?

Rico: It might be crazy to say but I don't begrudge any of the teams for passing on me or for taking Mary Marie ahead of me. As I said before, safety is not one of the premium positions in this league. And I made it clear during the pre draft process that I wasn't looking to change positions. I think I probably would have went higher had I demonstrated more flexibility. But deep down, I'm a safety at heart. All my favorite defensive players played the safety position. It's what my passion is and I want to make as big an impact as I can as a safety. With all that being said, am I going to hit a little harder when I'm facing Colorado, Honolulu, and New Orleans? *sly smile* you bet your ass I will!

Sappy feelings time for Toofpete and 2.5x:

I freaking love this league. I love the Discord, I love the player building, I love the fun rivalries, I love it all. I can't say enough about the GMs, my teammates, and the players in the ISFL. I think it's the people that make this league as great as it is. Starting off at the dsfl level with some of the best people I could have met in the world of football, was literally a dream come true. First off, let me start with the Portland Pythons and thank them for the season that they gave me how they welcomed me with open arms and instantly made me feel like I was going to be somebody who was going to make an impact for their team. @PugWalrus, @UptownCord, @zeagle1,  @furiousPanda,  @BWIII, @Matlestud, @Kunra99, @Purpl3Spartan, @pauadrian  and everybody else on that team that made me feel welcome to the DSFL, I will always be very thankful for. and then for everybody in the dsfl in general. Being able to hang out every day and talk with a lot of these different players, GMs, and everyone has been absolutely awesome.  We've had some heated discussions, we've had some fun discussions, we've had some weird discussions, and we've all been up each other's asses a bunch, but it's been great. And what can I say about my friend Rico Savage, AKA @TheRake. TheRake and I have been friends for 17 years which is insane to say and shows me just how old he really is. Jesus Christ, he is an old ass man, but this league wouldn't be near as fun without him. I probably would still enjoy myself because the people here have been awesome and the Discord has been fun, but being able to share this with somebody that I've been friends with for so long, especially with it being a competitive atmosphere just makes it all that much better. we're both really, really obsessive people and so being able to be obsessive about the league together, I think, has made this a completely different experience than it would have been otherwise. I look forward to having a very long healthy and amazing career for Bruce White and then for all of my other recreates after Bruce White's career is over. Having such an amazing community to be a part of, makes me want to make this a hobby that I have had for a very,very long time. You guys are what make this league awesome. The sim is great and our players are fun, but at the end of the day, everything is pretty equal. the players even out, the plays even out, the sim evens everything, and you see winners and losers. But what makes this so interesting compared to other games that I've played, or fantasy sports/anything else, is that this community is really tightknit, it's really strong, and it really makes this league work. Shoutout to my brand new teammates in New Orleans as well. Thanks for drafting me and giving me a shot to produce in the ISFL so early, @MobiausGrander and @Jaywe88. Thanks to the awesome conversations I've been able to have with so many people, but quick shoutouts to @dude_man, @MMFLEX, and @IceBear32. So as Toofpete, and as Bruce White, I'm very excited to be a part of this league now and moving forward into the very, very long future. Bruce White 4 life! Let’s go Pythons. Let’s go NOLA!

RE: Toofpete Interviews Rico Savage - Purpl3Spartan - 04-16-2023

love you too buddy glad you're here

RE: Toofpete Interviews Rico Savage - Matlestud - 04-16-2023

Man, MOP of the year, you deserved it and we'll see ya on the field wearing OCO's colors. Take care mate

RE: Toofpete Interviews Rico Savage - MobiausGrander - 04-16-2023

YEA SIRNOLA

RE: Toofpete Interviews Rico Savage - UptownCord - 04-17-2023

#PortlandForever #Pythons4Life