International Simulation Football League
*The History of the Sarasota Sailfish - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *The History of the Sarasota Sailfish (/showthread.php?tid=45340)

*The History of the Sarasota Sailfish - ztarwarz - 05-06-2023

The Sailfish have been a powerhouse almost from day one, and have put together quite a legacy in the 19 seasons they've existed so far. Let's go through how well exactly they've done since their creation in S22!

Season 22 through 30
An expansion team in Name Only

S22: 6-7 (0-1 in Playoffs)
S23: 8-8
S24: 12-4 (1-1 in Playoffs)
S25: 11-5 (Dexter Banks II wins MVP) (0-1 in Playoffs)
S26: 8-8 (1-1 in Playoffs)
S27: 12-4 (Raphtalia Chan wins OPOY) (2-0 in Playoffs, 1st Ultimus berth and win)
S28: 10-6 (Raphtalia Chan wins OPOY) (0-1 in Playoffs)
S29: 11-5 (1-1 in Playoffs)
S30: 11-5 (2-0 in Playoffs, 2nd Ultimus berth and win)

The Sailfish's record through their first 9 seasons was 89-52, good for a 63.1% win rate. This actually comes out a couple percentage points higher than the Wraiths for the best win percentage of any team for this decade. I'd still call the Wraiths the Team of the Decade; the extra Ultimus trophy and close to three times the award cabinet gives them the edge in my mind. But the Sailfish's own tally of a 7-6 playoff record, 8 appearances in 9 tries, 3 major awards, and two Ultimus titles is in my opinion the second best tally from any team this decade, both of the team's I've covered so far and probably overall. This decade also introduces the Greatest Sailfish; if it's not Raphtalia Chan/Chizuru Ichinose/whatever else this player was named over the years that I've forgotten, then the other competition for that title is Carter Knight, who happens to be the player of the exact user, @Frostbite. There's absolutely no question that the greatest Sailfish is some flavor of Frost.

Season 31 through 40
Great, but again not the Best

S31: 10-6 (0-1 in Playoffs)
S32: 9-7 (0-1 in Playoffs)
S33: 12-4 (0-1 in Playoffs)
S34: 10-5-1 (John Huntsman wins OPOY) (0-1 in Playoffs)
S35: 7-9
S36: 12-4 (Carter Knight wins OPOY (2-1 in Playoffs, 3rd Ultimus berth)
S37: 12-4 (1-1 in Playoffs, 4th Ultimus berth)
S38: 7-9
S39: 10-5-1 (Carter Knight wins OPOY) (0-1 in Playoffs)
S40: 8-7-1

The Sailfish's record over this decade was 97-60-3, for a 61.8% win rate. This is the second best win rate for this decade that I've looked at so far. It's very close to their win rate of the last decade, as well. That being said, there's a massive difference between this decade and last. There's a much emptier award cabinet, they missed the playoffs more often, and the two times they made it to the Ultimus this time ended in losses. Included in this decade is Frost's other player in contention for greatest Sailfish, Carter Knight. Really, both players are incredibly similar; all time greats who just so happened to overlap with an Outlaw player who is in strong contention for greatest at their position. The real stinging point for this decade is the playoff results; a 3-7 record over 7 appearances feels bad, along with the 0 MVPs, makes this decade feel much worse than the previous one, even though it's technically only 1.3% worse.

Overall Stats
More than just all time records here

All Time Record: 186-112-3 (62.4% win rate)
Playoff Record: 10-13 (43.5% win rate)
Ultimus Record: 2-2
Playoff Berths: 15 over 19 seasons, 78.9%

Hall of Famers: 7 (Frostbite [GM], Raphtalia Chan, James Angler, Jacob Small, Cuco Clemente, Derred De Ville, Harrison Andrews)
Major Award Wins: 1 MVP, 5 OPOYs
Best Team Period: S36-S37 (2 playoff berths, 2 Ultimus Appearances, 0 titles, 1 OPOY, 24-8 record over 2 seasons, 66.6% win rate)
Worst Team Period: S22-S23 (14-15 record over 2 seasons, 1 playoff berth, 48.3% win rate)

If this team was created in S1 or S2 and had that set of records, they'd be number one, no question. It's still amazing that they have not had back to back losing seasons at any point during their 19 seasons of existence, and they have not missed the playoffs for two straight years either. 7 Hall of Famers over 19 seasons is also amazing, and the award cabinet is also very full considering for how little time they've existed.

Really, the only thing holding them outside of my top 3 is the age and lack of any all time great period. It's kind of funny that they've gotten to twelve wins in a season five different times, but have not crested over this mark once. Even if I cut down the best team period to a 2 season span, as I have done, the highest they get is a 2/3rds win rate. Great, but that's still less than the record the Otters had for their first 10 seasons, or their second 10 seasons, or the most recent 10 year period from the Outlaws. So I don't have them competing for GOAT status, and I just don't think they have the history to compete with the Wraiths either. If that win rate and that playoff berth rate continue for another decade along with maybe a GOAT candidate and definitely at least 2 more titles, then I think the Sailfish will compete for the number one spot overall. As is, I'm putting them a provisional 4th, and I'm not sure how I could possibly move them down. Really, that's impressive on its own considering that they've existed for less than half of the ISFL's history.

RE: The History of the Sarasota Sailfish - br0_0ker - 05-07-2023

not with only 2 ultimus wins you aint  HON HON HON HON HON