International Simulation Football League
*The Second Straight 1 Win Season - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *The Second Straight 1 Win Season (/showthread.php?tid=46341)

*The Second Straight 1 Win Season - ztarwarz - 07-15-2023

A lot of hay was made about this New Orleans team preseason; most people had them pinned as the worst team in the ASFC, almost definitely the worst team outright, handing the Outlaws the first overall pick while they competed for another Ultimus, and a possible winless team.

On paper, this New Orleans team was far, far worse than the 1 win outlet from last season, at least at the start of the S41 season; they had torn down all of their strong pieces, their QB regressed from serviceable to awful, they had to call up a ton of rookies to fill out the lineup. Midway, they even gave up their lone good defender in another trade. However, this team ended up being far, far better than last season's.

NOLA The S42 Second Line NOLA

NOLA this season went 1-15. They scored 18.8 points per game and allowed 31.1 per game. This was the worst offense in the league, and the second worst defense. The worst defense was the Butchers, who by giving up 36.7 points per game are by my count the 4th worst defense we've ever seen in the league, and were 13 points away from being the second team ever to give up 600 points in a season. The most points the Second Line scored were 33 at the Sabercats, and the least they scored were 7 at the Outlaws and Otters. The most the Second Line gave up in a game was 45 in that same Outlaws game, and the least they gave up was 16 versus the Hahalua. The Second Line were only the 4th worst team in the league in terms of yards per game at 344.9, with the Hahalua (342.6), the Sabercats (342.4), and the Otters (333.9) putting up worse results. They ranked 11th in rushing yards per game and 8th in passing yards per game. The most yards gained in a single game was 438 at the Hahalua, while the least they got in a game was 192 at the Outlaws. As you might have expected, the Second Line was merely 2nd worst in yards allowed per game with 416.9, with the Butchers allowing 427.9 as the only worse mark. The most yards the Second Line allowed in a game was 524 at the Sabercats, while the least they allowed was 170 versus the Hahalua.

The Second Line's lone win came at the Sabercats, where they won 33-31. Their average point margin was -12.3 points per game, with the second worst being the Butchers' -11.8 mark.

Overall, these marks make them the 2nd best offense among 1 win teams, basically smack dab in the middle between the 1 spot of the S4 Legion and the 3 spot of the S11 Sabercats. They have the 3rd best defense of the eight 1 win teams, and again find themselves almost exactly in the middle of 2nd and 4th. They are the best offense by yards among any team with 1 win, just beating out the S4 Legion at 341.6 yards per game. However, they were the 2nd worst defense by yards allowed, giving up a few more yards than the S8 Sabercats, though they had a comfortable lead on the S4 Legion. In total the second line found themselves at a deficit of -72 yards per game, the 3rd best mark among 1 win teams. Their point differential of -12.3 ranks 2nd, behind only the S4 Legion and in front of the S11 Sabercats. Finally, when comparing to the 2nd worst team by point differential, the Butchers being as bad as they were made the Second Line only -0.5 per game worse. This is the 3rd best mark among 1 win teams, with only the S16 Yeti (in same season as the winless Copperheads) and the S4 Legion (the best 1 win team in league history) putting up a better mark.

It's actually extremely easy to place this team; they are in my opinion the 2nd best team to only get one win in league history. While I wouldn't say they were unlucky to only get 1 win by point differential, due to the situation of their losses, and the fact that they only lost by 20 or more points 3 times and lost 1 possession games a total of 6 times, the way the games played out the Second Line should have won at least one or even two more games than they did. Only the S4 Legion grade out better in my book, due to their better point differential and actually being much better than their closest awful competition. It's still impressive that the Second Line didn't grade out that much worse than a 4 win team that beat them by 9 in the season finale.

I would not call the Second Line out of the woods by any means, they have a strong S41 class that are becoming acceptable players, and a couple good S42 players that should continue to become less black holes at their position, but this team is still taking a lot of heavy and important regression: their IA LB1, S1, and DE2 are all going through their first season of regression, their Kicker is going through 2nd regression as is their CB1, their WR1 will take a hit, and most notably their QB is IA and heading through their 3rd bout with regression now. By my back of napkin calculations, he should be at 577 after that, less than 50 above Adrian St Christmas' rookie season, and he was active and passed that total by midseason. With all that said, I'll be interested to see how the S43 Second Line measure up compared to the S42 Second Line. With that being said, the future does look, if not necessarily bright, a whole lot less dark than these 3 seasons will be/have been.

RE: The Second Straight 1 Win Season - Chicken Lips - 07-17-2023

NOLA on the come up

RE: The Second Straight 1 Win Season - ForSucksFake - 07-17-2023

Improvement

RE: *The Second Straight 1 Win Season - 18situaseans - 07-19-2023

Nice.

RE: *The Second Straight 1 Win Season - HalfEatenOnionBagel - 07-19-2023

I think we need to be patient and wait to see how the S57 Secondline look, then we'll really be able to judge