International Simulation Football League
(S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions? - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions? (/showthread.php?tid=46927)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

(S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions? - dude_man - 08-07-2023

(S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions?

Complete the weekly Point Task to earn 3 TPE! All written responses must be at least 150 words. PT's may be submitted in another language, if you mention what language you are translating into, to make the job of the grader easier.

Do not claim this TPE until it has been graded and posted to the S43 claim thread. This task is due next Sunday, August 13th, 2023 at 11:59 EST. Have fun and get writing!

Written option: With the new season underway, there's a lot of excitement in the air. However, what potential change could make the league even more exciting? Perhaps live play-by-play during streams? Unlimited cap? List what potential suggestions that would make the league better! Can even be silly suggestions as well!

Graphic Option: Create a graphic demonstrating your player suggesting something new to the league.

Affiliate claims from SHL, SSL, and PBE are accepted; link directly to your post and add a note if your username is different there. Make sure the week of the affiliate PT matches with the week of this point task.

Written and graphic responses must be posted solely in this thread and not for additional media credit. Also, if you try to build your word count by being super repetitive and rambling on, you will not get full credit. If you are caught plagiarizing/stealing someone else’s work, you will be punished as HO sees fit, including the potential loss of TPE or money. Do your own work please. If you have a non-full PT pass and would like to use it this week, make sure to post in the thread. No need to post in the thread if you have a full PT Pass.

If you have ideas for future PTs, visit the link below, and your idea may be used next week!!
https://forums.sim-football.com/showthread.php?tid=9205 - Submit Prompt Ideas here!

RE: (S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions? - ForSucksFake - 08-07-2023

Okay, so here’s my big idea. I touched on it briefly in the Rookie DSFL chat about a week ago. Regression is the one thing the league unanimously (or at least 80%) hates the most. “Regression is Theft” is a common slogan I hear on a regular basis. While the league has generally been equitable when it comes to regression, meaning the same rules apply to everyone; I think there should be one major exception: the quarterback position.

Firstly, quarterbacks take a long time to develop. Some will play as many as four seasons in the DSFL, meaning that by their third ISFL season, they’re on the doorstep of regression. My biggest selling point on this “radical” idea is to look at NFL quarterbacks. Even before Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Brett Favre, and perhaps Aaron Rodgers enjoyed success after turning 40, quarterback careers on average just lasted longer. I know the ISFL experience isn’t supposed to be 1:1 with the NFL, but I think it would be beneficial to re-examine how we look at quarterbacks. The bottom line is that ISFL teams are only getting about 3 or so seasons of their quarterback at their peak, which I believe leads to high turnover rate and undermines what should be a franchise quarterback.

So here is my official pitch: bump the TPE cap of DSFL quarterbacks to 400-500 TPE and delay their regression season until after their ninth year in the league, counting DSFL.

Words: 200+

RE: (S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions? - Tylertokesome04 - 08-07-2023

PT #1
When I became GM of the London Royals this offseason, I set my sights on ways to improve the league. The first improvement I would implement would be to lengthen the offseason from 2 weeks to 3 weeks, thus giving more time for all aspects of the offseason, from scouting, to teaching updating, to drafting. This would bring in my next improvement, a mix of the PBE and SHL updating tools to streamline this process, as I see it is one of our biggest hurdles to retaining new players. Far too often we see eager users come into the league, want to take part, and then get overwhelmed with what we expect them to learn in such a short amount of time. Making our league more accessible can only serve to grow our number of users. Lastly, and I think this is on everyone's secret wish list, bring our teams into the 3rd dimension. Look I love the dots, they are fun for what they are, but imagine what could be...

RE: (S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions? - Yeenoghu - 08-07-2023

I believe that the primary area where the ISFL could improve is to have a better compensated officiating crew for its games. All too frequently, the viewer is subjected to questionable penalties and other basic officiating mistakes that even amateur fans of the sport are easily able to spot. For example, how many times have we seen strange penalties, like offensive pass interference on a quarterback? Furthermore, these penalties always seem to occur at inopportune times for teams, leading to speculation that the game is rigged in some way. Some conspiracy theorists even go so far as to baselessly claim that the outcomes of games are predetermined, and that the referees make up decisions to navigate towards a final score. Even if penalties are subjective, I believe we can do a better job at refereeing fundamentals, like establishing that a penalty when there are fewer than five yards remaining should not result in a new down with negative yards to go. If the league were to compensate the officials appropriately, I believe that the overall quality of games would rise immediately.

RE: (S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions? - 18situaseans - 08-07-2023

What could the ISFL add that would make the league even more interesting? Hmm that’s a tough one. I think that live play by play would be cool but the sim is so quick that it would be near impossible to commentate the game. So what else? I’ve had this idea for a long time and I still think it would be awesome. Both the conference championship game losers play a third place game right before the Ultimus. The team with the better record gets to be the home team. I think this could be a great addition because these teams have just been handed a loss that they will be thinking about for the rest of the offseason. So how about cheer them up a little bit by giving them an extra game for third place. It could give these teams some hope for the next season and some motivation to get better over the offseason.

RE: (S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions? - tstols - 08-07-2023

I think the big thing would be how to make streams more exciting. The unfortunate part about the ISFL is that there isn't a OOTP or FM style game that you can watch the games live from. It's a pretty barebones game simulator. It's more than enough in depth to make entertaining things happen, but the hype is considerably less than other games. It's EA's fault and it's a darn shame.

That being said, live play by play for streams would probably help a lot. Coming from the PBE, we manage to have people running PxP on our livestreams, which always turns out quite well. The same I think could be easily done for the ISFL, given that it also has a large community, and I think somewhat larger than the PBE? I haven't counted but I know there's more roster spots on the teams so it would make sense if so.

If only for playoff games, the live play-by-play I think would get more viewership and engagement, and make the atmosphere even more exciting. It's fun to think about.

RE: (S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions? - Tmoney6996 - 08-07-2023

I'm still relatively new to the league, so I'm sure my thoughts and opinions will largely be for those in a similar situation, but there may be some overlap between what I've seen and what others have experienced prior to me joining.

I think the biggest thing is the offseason. Especially for newer players, I think they could benefit from a longer onboarding/update training process. While for those that truly want to engage with the systems available, the current time table works just fine. But for those that may struggle with updating and really getting into the bones of the league, having more time to learn the lay of the land would be beneficial. Additionally, I think those in war rooms may enjoy the extra time to scout and make sure players are active and exactly what they need to improve their teams. The rookie mentors are fantastic though and really do a wonderful job of helping the rookies out.

Secondly, I think for bigger events, like pro bowls, championships, etc., I'd love to see more pomp and circumstance either in the streams or in the forums. Maybe I just missed all of that and it does already happen, but it's a big even and it feels like it should reflect that across the board.

RE: (S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions? - MikeWhiskey - 08-07-2023

How can we make the league better you ask? Once every couple of season we bring back all of the former legends. Any player who got over 1200 TPE in their career are available for a draft and to play in the "Legends Cup". Now you're probably thinking that would be boring, and it kinda would. But here is the kicker. They are at the build/TPE that they RETIRED at! Bunch of old (literally) players out there with their walkers and canes, barely making it through a single play before dropping from exhaustion. You might ask, why even bother. Well, why the hell not?! Rather than riding off into the sunset to live on as a legend who's story grows with each passing season, now we get to see how all of these GOATs have held up! In actuality this would probably be hilarious the first time, and then lose its shine and just become a PITA. But the idea does sound interesting to me, at least at first.

Code:
169 (nice) words

RE: (S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions? - SmittyHextall - 08-07-2023

I think play by play would be an interesting edition to a game. I don't think it's something that you could do every week However. Because the sim would have to slow down. To accommodate for The commentary. It would be cool to have something like a color commentator giving quips and interesting trivia and stuff throughout the game. You would also need an al michael's Esq. Straight man to balance out the commentary. Another idea that I think would be fun is more color rush games. The alternate jerseys and colors are really cool. And I think there are some interesting ideas that could come of it. I still think expansion might be a good idea as well. I would like to be able to see 8 teams on each side. Just to make it feel more even at least in my opinion. Think that would give fairness to everyone who is entering the playoffs. Another idea is adding more traits to players as well. I don't have answers for those traits at the moment. But I think it would be something that would be interesting to add.

RE: (S43) PT #1 - New Season, New Suggestions? - ztarwarz - 08-07-2023

I'm not sure how to solve this, but something has seemed really wrong to me whenever I look back at the league: low TPE QBs don't suck enough compared to high TPE ones.

When I was covering the winless teams before the start of last season, I noticed that the S38 Hahalua had an all around terrible passing offense, with no good players on it whatsoever. Yet, somehow, they were barely in the lower half of performers. Or look at last season's Yeti; they had one player that I'd call good in their passing offense, Mister Hogmally, but brought to the table one of the worst QBs the league has seen in years in terms of TPE, and only had one WR over the average TPE for an WR in the ISFL (and even then not by much). Yet, somehow, the Yeti had the 4th best passing game by yards, and while a good portion of that was due to often losing and being the Yeeti, McDummy had merely the 5th worst passer rating and was closer to being the 5th best than he was to being the worst. McDummy was only 1.3 points in passer rating lower than Nova Montagne, who was one of the best QBs by TPE and had two WRs over 1000 TPE. In summation, it seems like bad QBs just aren't as bad as they should be in the ISFL.