International Simulation Football League
*Season 43 Team Defense Results - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Season 43 Team Defense Results (/showthread.php?tid=47857)

*Season 43 Team Defense Results - AW13 - 09-29-2023

Hello all!

AW back again and before Season 44 kicks off, wanted to make sure to conclude the Season 43 series of the team defense stats!

We looked at both the run and passing defenses of the first half of the season in the previous iterations of the article and found some interesting results and I will post the links to both of those below so you can see how things transpired after the first half.

ISFL Run Defense (1st Half)
ISFL Pass Defense (1st Half)

Now we turn our focus to the results of the Season 43 season and with our larger sample sizes, take a look at some of the best team defenses in both the run and pass game!

This will mostly be short and sweet in comparison with the first half articles because it is way later than I wanted to do this and I need to start prepping things for Season 44 where I will likely focus on the DSFL defenses since my newest player will be there!

We will break things down overall by run and pass defenses and compare them with how teams did over the course of the season and hope to get a clear picture of the importance of defense in the league!

Team Rushing Defense

[Image: image.png?ex=651879a8&is=65172828&hm=006...9412f666&=]

Yes, we have some more concrete per game stats than last time which I am a fan of. Now, I can easily see that an average running offense in a league rushed about 22-23 times per game and 101-102 yards per game! Average carry was 4.48 and about a touchdown was scored on the ground each game in the ISFL!

For the overall season, I listed things by yards per carry allowed which I think does a solid job of showing a team's defense against the run. The better run defense you have, the lower yards per carry you are going to allow, generally.

We see a large range here in the yards per carry with the best (New York) giving up just 3.27 yards per carry while the most (Yellowknife) gave up 6 yards per carry on the ground! That is a bit crazy in my opinion!

Just 4 defenses gave up an average of under 4 yards per carry and a total of 8 teams gave up less than the league average of 4.48 so just 6 teams were technically worse than average.

Other stats on per game averages we can also look at. In terms of rushing attempts against, we again have 8 teams that were under the average of rushes against per game but we see a mixed of high average carry or low amongst these. We lose one with 7 teams giving up less than the average 101.51 rushing yards per game. We then come back to 8 teams who gave up less than the average 0.86 touchdowns per game though not sure how reliable a stat this is. Maybe good from a goal line point of view but you would probably need to look more into that (which could be an interesting article as well with goal line offenses and defenses). 

Rush Defense Rankings (By Yards per carry):

1) New York
2) San Jose
3) Berlin
4) Sarasota
5) Chicago
6) Cape Town
7) Baltimore
8) Honolulu
9) Austin
10) Arizona
11) Colorado
12) Orange County
13) New Orleans
14) Yellowknife

We see a mix of well performing teams all over the place. New York was the best team by wins and rush defense but following them, we get a decent mix. Baltimore, the 2nd best team by record, had the 7th best run defense while Cape Town and Arizona were 6th and 10th respectively. Seeing this, I would think I can conclude that having a run defense can help but does not have a huge correlation with winning and losing. Perhaps a run defense can separate teams like it did with New York and Baltimore (in the regular season) but seeing teams like Arizona low and Chicago high, it is hard to say. You can also point to maybe teams like Berlin and Chicago being able to play against teams with weak running games like Sarasota and Colorado a couple times in the season but then again, Yellowknife was torn up by most teams.

Team Passing Defense

[Image: image.png?ex=65187e45&is=65172cc5&hm=0d5...height=557]

Passing defense has a bit more to go on here as you can see the differences in the tables as you have to consider a bunch of different stats in comparison. We can look at things like completion percentage, TD/INT percentages, yards per attempt or completion, or what I will mostly be going off, passer rating against.

It is not a perfect science but a low passer rating against should be able to at least give us a decent idea of the best or better pass defenses in the league.

We can see also the "Average QB" when looking at defenses seeing on average, QBs threw for about 63% completion rate, 6.91 yards per attempt, 1.8 touchdowns per game to 0.8 interceptions per game, were sacked about 3.5 times per game, and had an average passer rating of 90.

Cape Town takes the cake here with just a 71.8 passer rating against, with just 6 defenses in total being above average in passer rating against. 6 teams also had better than average completion percentage against. 

Pass Defense Rankings (By Passer Rating)

1) Cape Town
2) Arizona
3) Baltimore
4) New York
5) Orange County
6) Honolulu
7) Berlin
8) Colorado
9) Yellowknife
10) Sarasota
11) Austin
12) New Orleans
13) San Jose
14) Chicago

As we can see here, unlike the rush defenses, the better pass defense teams generally were the best teams in the league. You can find some pretty good correlation with team success and an ability to stop the pass. The top 4 teams by record were the top 4 teams in pass defense. The bottom 3 teams in record were bottom 3 in pass defense. It is not perfect but with a mix of a lot of 7-9 or 8-8 teams, that should probably not come as a surprise. The average teams were average between 5th and 11th and the highs were high and the lows were low.

Points Allowed Filter Added!

So, I added points allowed just as a filter on my sheet which I thought was a bit interesting. I wanted to see amount of games and such that teams gave up a certain amount of points.

For example:

Games giving up less than 30 points:
[Image: image.png?ex=651880f6&is=65172f76&hm=b7a...height=586]

Games giving up less than 20 points:
[Image: image.png?ex=65188120&is=65172fa0&hm=955...height=586]

Games giving up less than 10 points:
[Image: image.png?ex=65188140&is=65172fc0&hm=7aa...a8c631cd&=]

Shutouts:
[Image: image.png?ex=6518816a&is=65172fea&hm=65b...76d5f6d9&=]

it is pretty interesting to see in general and you generally see the better teams jump up a bit when decreasing the points allowed. 

Grading Team Defenses:

I want to put an overall grade on team defenses at the end of the season using all the data we have and have looked at. Passing defense grades are rated a bit higher grading wise since wins are more correlated with passing defense just on quick glance) but both considered.

ASFC:

NYS New York (1st in Rush, 4th in Pass) A

ARI Arizona (10th in Rush, 2nd in Pass) B

HON Honolulu (8th in Rush, 6th in Pass) C+

AUS Austin (9th in Rush, 11th in Pass) D

OCO Orange County (12th in Rush, 5th in Pass) C-

SJS San Jose (2nd in Rush, 13th in Pass) D+

NOLA New Orleans (13th in Rush, 12th in Pass) F

NSFC:

BAL Baltimore (7th in Rush, 3rd in Pass) B+

CTC Cape Town (6th in Rush, 1st in Pass) A

COL Colorado (11th in Rush, 8th in Pass) D+

BER Berlin (3rd in Rush, 7th in Pass) B-

SAR Sarasota (4th in Rush, 10th in Pass) D+

YKW Yellowknife (14th in Rush, 9th in Pass) D-

CHI Chicago (5th in Rush, 14th in Pass) D-

Obviously people may disagree with the rankings but I believe it is about where it should be just from my opinion alone. I did not award any A+ awards but just 2 A's and 1 F along with a bunch in the middle which in general is how the season kind've went as a whole. A couple could probably bump up or down a half grade or so but in general, should be okay where they are at plus it is not official or anything anyways.

Stat Sheet:

If you are curious at all in looking at all the different stats and filters I have with pretty much complete stats from each game, take a look at the sheet posted below!

S43 ISFL Team Defense

Hope you enjoyed as much as I did doing the research! Till next time ISFL!

RE: Season 43 Team Defense Results - Baron1898 - 09-30-2023

good stuff

RE: Season 43 Team Defense Results - BOOM™ - 10-02-2023

Nice one AW. I'm not a huge stats guy, but found this interesting.