International Simulation Football League
*Positives/Recommendations on Rookie Transition from an Incoming Rookie - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Positives/Recommendations on Rookie Transition from an Incoming Rookie (/showthread.php?tid=49173)

Pages: 1 2

*Positives/Recommendations on Rookie Transition from an Incoming Rookie - shahdude - 01-15-2024

Positives

The community
It is very clear from the onset that the community wants you to succeed and be a part of things.
I think this alone makes up for any of the hiccups when learning how to do things in the league

Freedom of creativity
Seems like you guys have crushed this
Open to whatever content people want produces better content because people make more of an effort when they aren’t boxed in

Deep customization and plethora of activities and choices
Plenty of avenues to explore and this is clearly going to become a time suck for me

Recommendations

Make the rookie guide into a live PDF/Google Doc that you can update over time
The forum can be a bit overwhelming on first glance, so removing the guide from the forum in the short term can help to make the transition easier.
I also think making it a live document you update over time may be easier and people can provide comments and recommendations easier potentially

Make the videos the first thing you go to upon entry into the league
They were easily the most helpful in my eyes, but I had no idea where to find them and was sent them by someone which totally helped.
They should be the first thing you see upon entry in my eyes.

Explain that discord is a way to make money too and which one to do it in
I didn’t even know that there was a leveling program until I saw someone else mention it and learned more by asking questions.

RE: Positives/Recommendations on Rookie Transition from an Incoming Rookie - Southie - 01-15-2024

I'm a veteran and I don't even know how to make money on discord.

RE: Positives/Recommendations on Rookie Transition from an Incoming Rookie - DarknessRising - 01-15-2024

Discord money can be made for simply talking in either the ISFL general server or if you have access to it (as only 2 or 3 seasons of newest class do) the DSFL Rookie server. Any channel except for bot ones count, and it gets paid out/reset each week

Finer details are it uses Mee6, so spamming messages doesn't do anything, but just talk to people and you will earn money is all you need to know Smile

RE: Positives/Recommendations on Rookie Transition from an Incoming Rookie - DREAMSLOTH - 01-15-2024

Quote:Make the rookie guide into a live PDF/Google Doc that you can update over time
The forum can be a bit overwhelming on first glance, so removing the guide from the forum in the short term can help to make the transition easier.
I also think making it a live document you update over time may be easier and people can provide comments and recommendations easier potentially

This, 100% agreed. It was overwhelming for me at first also. Luckily people are very helpful around here, but onboarding can still be improved a great deal.

RE: Positives/Recommendations on Rookie Transition from an Incoming Rookie - homercrates - 01-15-2024

When I notice someone new I always make sure to link them those videos LTHudz did a great job with those.

RE: Positives/Recommendations on Rookie Transition from an Incoming Rookie - CROney3 - 01-16-2024

(01-15-2024, 10:28 AM)DREAMSLOTH Wrote:
Quote:Make the rookie guide into a live PDF/Google Doc that you can update over time

This, 100% agreed. It was overwhelming for me at first also. Luckily people are very helpful around here, but onboarding can still be improved a great deal.
I think that will always be everyone's biggest pain point. So anything to help will be better. I think even the portal will be a huge help, too.

RE: Positives/Recommendations on Rookie Transition from an Incoming Rookie - shahdude - 01-16-2024

The videos saved me from a migraine tryna figure it all out lol

RE: Positives/Recommendations on Rookie Transition from an Incoming Rookie - Chicken Lips - 01-16-2024

I have been floating the idea of a new recruit splash page that all recruiting efforts direct to. Do you think something like this, that has the youtube videos embedded and some useful graphics would be helpful for new users?

RE: Positives/Recommendations on Rookie Transition from an Incoming Rookie - shahdude - 01-17-2024

@Chicken Lips absolutely. I think starting with the videos is the best way to get started with your player and learn how to navigate the forum. Most people are better visual learners especially when presented with something with as much complexity as this forum.

RE: Positives/Recommendations on Rookie Transition from an Incoming Rookie - CROney3 - 01-19-2024

(01-16-2024, 07:00 PM)Chicken Lips Wrote: I have been floating the idea of a new recruit splash page that all recruiting efforts direct to. Do you think something like this, that has the youtube videos embedded and some useful graphics would be helpful for new users?

I love that idea.

Have the position page that @lemonoppy designed on there, but then provide a link to the rookie discord for them to come ask some questions prior to player creation would be awesome, I'm sure.